Amityville RR Station Sign.jpg (12553 bytes)
       
AMITYVILLE
AmityvillePostcard-c.1905.jpg (49942 bytes)
Amityville colorized photo postcard c. 1905
Amityville-Trolley-Opening-Day_8-25-1909_SUNY-Emery.jpg (139148 bytes)
Amityville - Cross-Island Trolley Opening Day 8/25/1909
The building is known as the "Triangle Building" - located at Broadway and Park Avenue - looking south. Collection:  Robert Emery, SUNY Stony Brook

Huntington Railroad (Cross-Island Trolley) extended service to Farmingdale and on to Amityville began 08/25/1909.  That year the power plant was added to the west side of the Farmingdale station building. Research: Dave Keller

August 25, 1909, was celebrated in downtown Amityville as opening day for the Huntington-Amityville trolley. "Welcome to our city," the sign says. Amityville Historical Society

 

 


Amityville-Station_viewE-1937_SUNY-Emery.jpg (87116 bytes)
Amityville Station View E - 1937
Photo: Ron Ziel  Collection Emery SUNY Stony Brook
Station-Amityville-Huntington RR Trolley on Trestle-View NW-c. 1910 (Keller).jpg (77608 bytes)
Amityville Station - Huntington RR Trolley on Trestle 
view NW c.1910
Archive: Dave Keller
amityville-colorized-post-card_viewW-1910.jpg (75738 bytes)
Amityville colorized photo postcard
view W 1910 Huntington RR Trolley on Trestle
Amityville-Station-viewSW-1953.jpg (66773 bytes)
Amityville station view SW 1953
AmityvilleDepot1963BradPhillips.jpg (70486 bytes)
Amityville station View E 1963
AmityvilleFreightStation051964BradfordGPhillips.jpg (104692 bytes)
Amityville freight station 05/1964 View E
Amityville-Emry-map_1958_SUNY-Emery.jpg (76067 bytes)
Amityville - Emery ledger map 1958

Emery's finished product maps in his collection sold to SUNY Stony Brook. All drawn in ledger-sized spiral notebooks and illustrated with actual photos. Info: Dave Keller
Emery-Amityville-MP30-31-081958.jpg (374974 bytes)
Amityville Emery map - MP30-31 08/19/1958
Amityville-Copiague32.jpg (39606 bytes)
LIRR maps Amityville-Copiague 06/1966
Archive: Dave Keller

Amityville - John Street  View W 1965 
Archive: George Forero

Amityville_temp-ticket-officec.1965_GeorgeForero.jpg (90947 bytes)
Amityville - Temporary ticket office 1965 
Archive: George Forero

Amityville-Eastbound_1965_George Forero.jpg (30807 bytes)
Amityville View E 1965 Archive: George Forero

Amityville temporary platforms, old tracks have been torn out view W 1969 Archive: William Gilligan
Amityville-temp-station-facilities-tracks_ViewE-crossover-bridge_late1968_Keller.jpg (101881 bytes)
Amityville temporary station facilities and tracks view E from crossover bridge late 1968 
Archive: Dave Keller

 

AMITYVILLE Station History:
S. S. R. R. (South Side R.R.) SVC. BEGAN:10/28/1867. DEPOT BUILT: NOV-DEC/1868. MOVED TO PRIVATE PROPERTY: 1889. STILL STANDING: 2003.
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 7/25/1889, RAZED: 5/29/64. REPLACED WITH TEMPORARY STATION BUILDING. IN SVC: 5/29/64. OUT OF SVC: 10/25/68 DUE TO RELOCATION OF TRACKS AND FACILITIES FOR GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION. BLDG. RAZED.
2ND TEMPORARY STA. BUILDING ACCOUNT OF GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION IN SVC: 10/25/68.OUT OF SVC: 8/7/73 AND RAZED.
ELEVATED STRUCTURE IN SVC: 8/7/73  Research: Dave Keller

AmityvilleDD-1-westboundBirchAve.jpg (103693 bytes)
Amityville DD-1 freight view W at Birch Ave. c.1930-1940
Amityville_DD-1freightViewE.jpg (94435 bytes)
Amityville DD-1 freight view E c.1930-1940
AmityvilleDepot-Panoramic1963BradPhillips.jpg (62849 bytes)
Amityville Station and shelter 1964 View W
AmityvilleTrolleyBridge1964BradPhillips.jpg (62594 bytes)
Amityville Trolley Bridge View W close-up  1964 
AmityvilleTrolleyBridgeViewE1964BardPhillips.jpg (69913 bytes)
Amityville Trolley Bridge View E 1964
  AmityvilleFirstDayNewService08061973.jpg (39929 bytes)
Amityville M-1 first day of new service 08/06/1973
Amityville1stBusToMontauk061963BradPhillips.jpg (45067 bytes)
Inaugural run of the Road n’ Rail bus service to Montauk on 6/8/63. Amityville was the origin for the South Shore run.
Amityville-ZIP-MU's081963BradPhillips.jpg (51920 bytes)
 ZIP cars photo was taken within days of the first runs of this new equipment in August 63 (note the World’s Fair logo on the sides) 
AmityvilleCannonball1963BradPhillips.jpg (49549 bytes)
The Cannonball regularly ran on the Montauk division so I got to enjoy its passing every Friday in summer.  Double-headed, sometimes triple-headed, Alco RS-3’s, 1963
LIRR - Amityville Trolley on Bridge.jpg (54917 bytes)
Amityville station postcard with the Huntington Railroad trolley on bridge view NW c.>1909 
Amityville 1919.jpg (98690 bytes)
Amityville station postcard 
view NE 1919 
LIRR - EB MU Passing Amityville Team Track - Jan 1968.jpg (82364 bytes)
Amityville MU passing team track view W 01/1968 Note: The 3rd rail is still there. 
LIRR - Amityville Team Track - 1968.jpg (106473 bytes)
Amityville Freight Yard - Greene Ave. West of station, 
view NE 1968 
Amityville-StationSouthSideRR-movedBradPhillips.jpg (74299 bytes)
South Side Railroad 1889 moved to private property Railroad Ave. Photo taken 2009
AmityvilleTrolleyTracks-SterlingPlace081967BradPhillips.jpg (40838 bytes)
Amityville - Huntington Railroad trolley remains (c.1919) at Sterling Place/John St. View E 08/1967
Special thanks to Brad Phillips for the photos and information.