ATLANTIC BRANCH
FLATBUSH

FLATBUSH: OLD DEPOT OPENED: _(?) RENOVATED: JULY-AUG/ 1878, RENOVATED AGAIN: 6/1880, REBUILT: 1893.
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 4/1/07 WITH DEPOT AT STREET LEVEL AND TRACKS UNDERGROUND. REFURBISHED AND EXTERIOR SANDBLASTED: EARLY 1940s. TRACK #1 OUT OF SVC: 4/10/59. FORMER EXPRESS TRACKS #s 9-14 ("EX" YARD) OUT OF SVC: 3/3/71. TRACKS ORIGINALLY NUMBERED SOUTH TO NORTH RENUMBERED NORTH TO SOUTH: 7/1/78. STREET LEVEL TERMINAL BLDG. CLOSED: 1988. RAZED: c.1990's.
3RD DEPOT OPENED: 1/5/2010. OFFICIALLY RENAMED "ATLANTIC TERMINAL" IN ETT #1, PER G.O. #104 EFF. 3/8/2010. Research: Dave Keller

 Flatbush-Station_Atlantic Ave- Brooklyn_1910_Rudolph-Schubert .jpg (65607 bytes)
Flatbush Station Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn 1910
Archive: Rudolph Schubert
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Street-06-78_(Huneke-Keller).jpg (81047 bytes)
Flatbush Ave Station  06/1978 Huneke-Keller

Tower-BROOK_(1st)-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller).jpg (55311 bytes)
1st BROOK Tower  Flatbush Ave  Brooklyn 10/13/78 Madden-Keller

Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Waiting_Room-1979_(Huneke-Keller).jpg (61242 bytes)
Flatbush Ave Station Waiting Room 1979 Huneke-Keller

FLATBUSH AVE. OLD DEPOT RENOVATED: JULY-AUG/ 1878 RENOVATED AGAIN: 6/1880, REBUILT: 1893

2ND DEPOT OPENED: 4/1/07 WITH DEPOT AT STREET LEVEL AND TRACKS UNDERGROUND. REFURBISHED AND EXTERIOR SANDBLASTED: EARLY 1940s. TRACK #1 OUT OF SVC: 4/10/59. FORMER EXPRESS TRACKS #s 9-14 ("EX" YARD) OUT OF SVC: 3/3/71. 

TRACKS ORIGINALLY NUMBERED SOUTH TO NORTH RENUMBERED NORTH TO SOUTH: 7/1/78. STREET LEVEL TERMINAL BLDG. CLOSED: 1988. RAZED: c. 1990s.

3RD DEPOT OPENED: 1/5/2010. OFFICIALLY RENAMED "ATLANTIC TERMINAL" IN ETT #1, PER G.O. #104 EFF. 3/8/2010.  Research: Dave Keller

 

LIRR-Brooklyn-Terminals-1900-map.jpg (250515 bytes)
LIRR map of New York and Brooklyn Terminals 1900
Wilhelm-VDyard.jpg (140001 bytes)
H. Wilhelm Map - VD yard  7/31/1927

Ticket_Flatbush-Ave-Jamaica_BradPhillips.jpg (64698 bytes)
Ticket - Flatbush Ave. to Jamaica c.1929+ Archive: Brad Phillips

 

flatbush1908map12mercherminal-BRT.jpg (122170 bytes)
Flatbush 1908 map12 Merchandise Terminal-BRT

flatbush1908map13passexpress-coachyard-IRT.jpg (175626 bytes)
Flatbush 1908 map13 Passenger/Express coach yard

Brooklyn-Heights-RR-Co.-Flatbush-Station-Ticket.jpg (379282 bytes)

Brooklyn-Heights-RR-Co.-Flatbush-Station-Ticket-reverse_BradPhillips.jpg (225009 bytes)

"In 1899 an elevated structure was built to connect the Long Island Rail Road with the Brooklyn Union Elevated Railroad Company's Fifth Avenue EL For five years LIRR rapid transit trains ran to Brooklyn Bridge where they turned on a loop and returned to Jamaica, Far Rockaway and Rockaway Junction." Research: Art Huneke

The ticket (left) was issued in connection with the Brooklyn Heights RR (founded in 1860). The tickets are coupons from a commutation book. Noted above, it appears that the LIRR connection to the bridge lasted 5 years, so the tickets probably date from this period 1899-1904. Research: Brad Phillips

 

Emery-flatbush-04-1959.jpg (562534 bytes)
Emery map Flatbush 4/1959

Flatbush Ave/ Atlantic Terminal and the new Barclay's Center - LIRR trains are now being stored for service to and from Atlantic Terminal.

VD yard exists, but is down to 5 tracks and a lead...one way in and out...one track. You go in on a lead, which holds 10 cars...you go in west and then east are brand new tracks 1,2,3,4...1 holds 6 cars, 2-4 hold 8 cars, track 5, which is to the west and just north of the lead track holds 8, and the switching lead (which gets you to all tracks, holds 10).

For simplicity's sake of explaining it, the lead track and track No. 5 both end at bumper blocks at the basement wall to the new Barclay Center.

 

"BROOK" TOWER:1 FLATBUSH AVE., BROOKLYN (UNDERGROUND: E. END OF STATION PLATFORM BETWEEN TRACKS 4 AND 5. FORMERLY "FT".  35-LEVER US&S MODEL 14 ELECTRO-PNEUMATIC MACHINE IN SVC: 1906. RENAMED: 4/15/37. OUT OF SVC: SUMMER/1999. Research: Dave Keller

BROOK 12-1-54.jpg (185780 bytes)
BROOK Interlocking 12/01/1954
BROOK 8-1-96.jpg (123748 bytes)
BROOK Interlocking 8/01/1996

Interlocking maps: Archive: Jeffrey Erlitz

 

BROOK 11-07-99.jpg (50311 bytes)
BROOK "1"  Interlocking 11/07/1999
Vanderbilt-Ave-Passenger-Yard_MP54-Electrics-left-along-Pacific-St._1959_Huneke.jpg (104605 bytes)
Vanderbilt Ave Passenger Yard - MP54 Electrics at left along Pacific St. view E from the 6th Ave. overpass and in the far distance can be seen the overpass for Carleton Avenue.  Beyond that overpass is the VD Team Yard.  06/1959 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

The elevated tracks, (photo left) according to Emery's map, were for milk cars.  He said on the map that the tracks went across Atlantic Ave. before 1940 and connected with the merchandise terminal, to which his map #789 refers.

The track curved upward eastbound for the potato warehouse. (photo right)  The other track in front of it curved upward westbound for the elevated milk platform indicated on Emery's map.  Info: Dave Keller

 

McCauley-Potato-Co-Warehouse_Vanderbilt-Ave-Yard_06-1959-ArtHuneke.jpg (72045 bytes)
Vanderbilt Ave Yard McCauley Potato Co. Warehouse 
View E just west of the Carleton Avenue overpass. 06/1959Photo/Archive: Art Huneke
Tower-Van-Interlocking Machine-Vanderbilt Ave. Yard-Bklyn - 4-1978.jpg (97941 bytes)
Van Tower Interlocking Machine - Vanderbilt Ave Yard 
4/1978 Archive: Dave Keller
Yard View-VD-Psgr and Team Yard-Bklyn-View SE- 05-11-79 (Madden-Keller).JPG (190631 bytes)
VD Passenger Yard view SE 5/11/79 
(Madden-Keller)

Yard View-VD-Team Yard-Bklyn-View SE- 05-11-79 (Madden-Keller).JPG (180583 bytes)
VD Team Yard View east end of Yard 
Brooklyn view SE 5/11/79 (Madden-Keller)

Barclay's-Center-Brooklyn_viewSE_ c.6-2011.jpg (188192 bytes)
Barclay's Center Brooklyn view SE c.6/2011

Atlantic-Terminal_NEWSDAY_5-16-2018.jpg (88792 bytes)
Atlantic Terminal - NEWSDAY 5/16/2018

This view is inside the block office that was built into the concrete wall of the tunnel for trains to access "VD" yard. Originally named "VD" tower, it was renamed "VAN" on 04/15/37. Data: Dave  Keller

You can see the tunnel portal at the far left of the yard which accessed the yard from the Atlantic branch below the street and into which was built the subterranean "VD" tower. The Barclay's Center is at the west end of the former VD passenger yard.  There is no yard under the Barclay's Center.  The center was constructed at the depressed grade of the former yard.  The former VD Passenger Yard EAST of 6th Ave. AND VD Team Yard at the far left is to be covered over for new, multi high-rises of "affordable housing" being constructed above it but it's not covered over as of this time, from info I've received from Bob Myers.  The work is still in progress.  It's called the "Atlantic Yards Project."  Data: Dave Keller 

flatbush1908map14merchterminal-carstorage.jpg (114761 bytes)
Flatbush 1908 map14 Merchandise Terminal 
and Car Storage
LIRR Flatbush Ave Diagram smaller.jpg (78026 bytes)
LIRR Flatbush Ave Merchandise Terminal drawing
LIRR Flatbush Ave Track Plan.jpg (175675 bytes)
LIRR Flatbush Ave Track Plan drawing
ATLANTIC YARDS ARENA AND REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT 2010Atlantic-Yards-Redevelopment -Project_12-2010.jpg (89454 bytes) Atlantic-Yards-Projected-Completion-Dates.jpg (374203 bytes)
Station-Flatbush Ave.-BRT Nos. 629-648-521 on Atlantic - No. 4 on Flatbush -Bklyn - 1903.jpg (92623 bytes)
In this view looking west a Forney steam locomotive pulls an EL train eastbound along Atlantic Ave.  In the distance is the 5th Ave. EL connection, and the original LIRR Flatbush Avenue terminal building is at the right. Passenger cars are visible at the open, ground level platforms in this 1903 view.  In 3 more years this corner would look different as the new, LIRR brick terminal building is put into service.  (Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Tracks_1,2_07-17-1916_(Keller).jpg (72149 bytes)
Station Flatbush Ave Brooklyn
tracks 1,2  7/17/1916 Keller
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Meat_Tracks_07-17-1916_(Keller).jpg (71663 bytes)
Station Flatbush Ave Brooklyn Meat tracks 7/17/1916 Keller
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Ticket_Ofc_Track_Level-06-72_(Keller).jpg (87514 bytes)
Station Flatbush Ave Brooklyn Ticket office at track level
06/1972  Archive: Dave Keller
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Gate-Track_2-06-78_(Huneke-Keller).jpg (109386 bytes)
Station Flatbush Ave Brooklyn Gate Track 02/06/1978 (Huneke-Keller)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_1.jpg (66674 bytes)
Track 6 gate and platform looking east from the subterranean concourse.  M1 train #1240 bound for Hempstead (with connection to Babylon) is at the station awaiting to be boarded - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_2.jpg (64500 bytes)
Track 4 gate and platform looking east from the subterranean concourse.  M1 train #1211 bound for Far Rockaway (with connections to West Hempstead, Babylon and Oyster Bay) is at the station awaiting to be boarded.  Visible at the right are the timetable racks with the smaller, TDI timetables in the left rack and the full-sized, branch timetables at the two right racks - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_3.jpg (64748 bytes)
Track 2 looking west towards the bumpers and the subterranean concourse - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_4.jpg (68691 bytes)
View from track 2 looking southeast across to tracks 3 and 4 with an M1 train awaiting to be boarded on track 4 - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_5.jpg (66401 bytes)
Gate and stairs for tracks 5 and 6 as viewed from the street-level waiting room and concourse.  A sign on the gate indicates that the ticket offices are located down at track level.  The street-level ticket windows at the waiting room are no longer in service - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_6.jpg (74271 bytes)
Gate and stairs for tracks 1 and 2, 3 and 4 as viewed from the street-level waiting room and concourse.  Visible in the left background is the row of old shoe-shine elevated seats and in the right background is an out-of-service lunch counter - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_7.jpg (68187 bytes)
A view of the out-of-service, street-level ticket windows in the waiting room - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_8.jpg (119917 bytes)
Another view of the out-of-service, street-level ticket windows in the waiting room, showing the decorative, arched windows above, which once allowed light to stream into the grand waiting room but which have, over the years, for some unusual and unexplained reason, been painted over, turning the well-lit concourse into a dreary venue - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_9.jpg (62883 bytes)
A view of the dreary, once-grand waiting room with more of the arched, painted-over windows seen above left and a balustrade balcony above center.  This view is looking towards the gates to tracks 1 and 2, 3 and 4, just beyond the doorways in the wall.  The shoe-shine booth is visible at the left - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_10.jpg (73039 bytes)
Tracks 5 and 6 looking west towards the rack of telephone booths and the subterranean concourse beyond - 10-13-78  (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_11.jpg (55625 bytes)
Tracks 3 and 4 looking west towards the bumpers and subterranean concourse beyond.  An M1 train is awaiting boarding at track 4 at the left - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
Station-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-Interior-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller)_12.jpg (63580 bytes)
Tracks 3 and 4 looking west towards the bumpers and subterranean concourse beyond but from a vantage point further east, showing the curved platform condition that was common at the Flatbush Avenue terminal.  When the terminal building opened in 1906, these curved tracks and platforms were not an issue as they accommodated the much-shorter MP41 electric cars.  As years progressed, and longer MU cars were placed in service, it became a hazard to spot a train of those cars here, as a huge gap was created at the platforms as a result.  Seen here, an M1 train is awaiting boarding at track 4 at the left - 10-13-78 (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)

MU_1632-Nassau_Co_Heritage_Train-On_Display-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller).jpg (52294 bytes)
MU 1632 Nassau County Heritage Train On Display - Flatbush Ave Brooklyn 10/13/78 (William Madden-Dave Keller)

Nassau_Co_Heritage_Train_Sign-Display-Flatbush_Ave-Bklyn-10-13-78_(Madden-Keller).jpg (84161 bytes)
Nassau County Heritage Train Sign   Display Flatbush Ave Brooklyn 10/13/78 (William Madden-Dave Keller)

Photographers are William Madden, Art Huneke and Dave Keller (for the interior ticket office shot) Archive for all photos: Dave Keller.

TIMETABLE LOCAL ELECTRIC TRAINS - 1913
First-timetable-from-new-Jamaica-Station_3-9-1913-cover_Huneke.jpg (109647 bytes)
First timetable from the new Jamaica Station 3/09/1913 Archive: Art Huneke
First-timetable-from-new-Jamaica-Station_3-9-1913_Huneke.jpg (403844 bytes)

LIRR-Freight-Stations-map_c.1930.jpg (273451 bytes)
LIRR Freight Stations map c.1930 illustrates the Atlantic, Manhattan Beach, 
Bay Ridge, and Far Rockaway Branches.

ATLANTIC BRANCH MILEAGES - 1916 MAP
Mileages per LIRR ETT #59, effective 11/03/1910, and as calculated from Flatbush Ave.:

Nostrand Avenue 
East New York
Warwick St. 
Railroad Ave. (Autumn Ave.)
Union Course 
Woodhaven 
Woodhaven Jct. 
Clarenceville 
Morris Park(1)
MP Tower(2)
Dunton 
Cedar Manor
Locust Ave. (Locust Manor)
Higbie Ave. 
Laurelton 
Springfield Jct. 
Rosedale 
Valley Stream


Note 1: (rapid transit station, not Shops)
Note 2: (per ETT #69, eff.  05/25/1913. 
Does not appear on ETT #59)

1.5
4.0
4.8
5.8
6.3
6.7
7.2
7.8
8.2
8.8
8.9
10.8
11.7
12.6
13.1
13.3
13.8
15.7

 
Atlantic Branch 1916 zoom map

Atlantic-Branch-Abandonments_Morrison.jpg (118998 bytes)As a result of the scheduled 1939-40 grade elimination project, the following seven rapid transit stops were eliminated: Warwick St., Autumn Ave., Union Course, Woodhaven(3), Clarenceville, Morris Park and Dunton. (LIRR official announcement effective November 1, 1939 courtesy of 
Dave Morrison)

Note 3:  Woodhaven Jct. was retained as a station stop with a new, subterranean station constructed but the "junction" was dropped from the name, becoming the replacement "Woodhaven" station, 1/2 mile east of the defunct Woodhaven rapid transit station stop.

 

Nostrand Avenue

Nostrand AvenuE: 1st DEPOT BUILT: 18xx? (BRICK BLDG.) ALSO USED AS ATLANTIC RAPID TRANSIT STOP PER ETT #11, EFF. 11/4/1878.
ELEV. TRACKS IN SVC: 11/21/1903 DEPOT AT STREET LEVEL IN USE.
2ND DEPOT (AT TRACK LEVEL) IN SVC: 8/29/1905. AGENCY CLOSED: 8/19/2009.

1.  Crossing-Barrier Gates-Bedford Ave. at Atlantic Ave.-Bklyn - c. 1900 (Keller).jpg (315429 bytes)
This is the Bedford Ave. crossing at Atlantic Avenue c. 1900. The crossing is protected by barrier gates which were raised and lowered horizontally. Bedford Ave. was located just west of the Nostrand Ave. station in Brooklyn and was an original station stop on the LIRR from c. 1836 until 1861. It became a rapid transit stop on 11/4/1878 and lasted until November, 1905 when it was removed after electrification of the branch from Flatbush Ave. eastward. (Dave Keller archive and data) 
2.  Crossing-Barrier Gates-Nostrand Ave. at Atlantic Ave-Bklyn - c. 1900  (Keller).jpg (317173 bytes)
A distant steam locomotive and train is heading westbound towards the crossing of Nostrand Ave. at Atlantic Ave. in this c. 1900 view looking east. The crossing is protected by barrier gates. To the left of the tracks beyond the crossing can be seen the low, wooden Nostrand Ave. station platform with kerosene platform lamp. To the right of the tracks can be seen an unpaved Atlantic Ave. A Lorimer Street trolley approaches the crossing at the far right. (Dave Keller archive and data)  
Emery-Map-Nostrand-Avenue-3.jpg (127714 bytes)
Emery map - Nostrand Ave.  4/1959 Archive: Dave Keller
5. MU Wooden Baggage-Running Xtra-Atlantic-Nostrand Aves., Bklyn-c. 1915.jpg (166746 bytes)
MU Wooden baggage car - Running extra  - Atlantic-Nostrand Aves, Brooklyn c. 1915

An old, wooden MU baggage car flying white "extra" flags is running light westbound after leaving the elevated Nostrand Ave. station visible in the background. The train has come off the elevated structure just west of the station and is about to enter the tunnel portal to access the subterranean track level of the Flatbush Ave. terminal. This image was photographed c. 1915 (Dave Keller archive)

6. MP41 Train WB for FBA- Approaching Tunnel to FBA- Nostrand Ave. Station in Bkgd-c. 1915-View E-(Keller).jpg (174733 bytes)
MP41 train westbound for FBA approaching tunnel to FBA-Nostrand Ave. Station in background -View E c.1915

Photographed at the same location and date as the image at the left and headed in the same direction, a 3-car "sandwich" train consisting of a front and rear steel MP41 class MU electric motor car with a wooden trailer coupled between. This practice was quite common on the LIRR at the time until all wooden cars were removed from service approximately a decade later. The elevated Nostrand Avenue station is visible in this background as well. (Dave Keller archive)

3.  Station-Nostrand Ave, Bklyn (View E) - c. 1920 (Keller).jpg (275307 bytes)

Looking east we see the elevated LIRR station at Nostrand Avenue and the elevated viaduct carrying the Atlantic branch tracks through this portion of the line c. 1920. Just west of this station the tracks dip down and enter a tunnel to access the subterranean platform level at Flatbush Ave. terminal. The sign over the stairs reads "Trains to Jamaica and Points East." Note the gas streetlight in the left foreground. This station had many linear feet of beautiful decorative wrought-iron railings. (Dave Keller archive and data) 

 

4.  Station-Nostrand Ave.-Bklyn (View W) - 11-01-70 (Keller).jpg (245892 bytes)

Looking west from the rear of an eastbound train on November 1, 1970, the Nostrand Ave. station is seen at elevated track level. The decorative wrought-iron rails are visible along the platforms as well as the old-style, gooseneck platform lamps. In the distance the tracks can be seen dipping down to enter the tunnel that accesses Flatbush Ave. terminal. (Dave Keller archive and data) 

8. MU Train - Nostrand Ave-View W - 1970.jpg (119972 bytes)
MU train - Nostrand Ave View W 1970

Looking northwest, a 4-car MP54 electric train pulling a railfan extra is on the westbound track at the elevated Nostrand Ave. station. The center guy with the checkered jacket in the group of three railfans at the far right is retired LIRR acting-president Raymond P. Kenny back when he was a college student in 1970. (eBay image)

 

Ticket_Flatbush-Ave-Nostrand-Ave_BradPhillips.jpg (57325 bytes)
Ticket - Flatbush Ave. to Nostrand Ave. c.1929+ Archive: Brad Phillips

Ticket_Nostrand-Ave-Bellaire_BradPhillips.jpg (66262 bytes)
Ticket - Nostrand Ave. to Bellaire  c.1929+ Archive: Brad Phillips

East New York
9.  Station-East New York - 1910 (1).jpg (68695 bytes)
East New York Station 1910

Looking northwest, we see the joint NY & Manhattan Beach Railway/LIRR depot at East New York c. 1910. This depot was opened by the NY & MB in 1883 and served as their depot and hotel. It became a joint depot with the LIRR on January 1, 1884. The building was located between Atlantic and East New York Avenues at Van Sinderen Avenue at what was then called "Manhattan Crossing" and "Manhattan Beach Crossing," where the NY & MB Railway's line to Manhattan Beach crossed the LIRR's Atlantic branch tracks at grade. When the NY & MB was acquired by the LIRR, the branch became known as the Manhattan Beach / Bay Ridge branch. This old wooden-framed depot was abandoned in November, 1915 and razed account of the LIRR's Bay Ridge branch grade elimination project. This elimination project resulted in concrete tunnels being constructed under the LIRR's Atlantic branch at East New York between 1913 and 1915 and the tracks subterranean through the area.

 

10.  Station-East New York - 1910 (2).jpg (170988 bytes)
East New York Station -  11/10/1910
Photo: LIRR Valuation Archive: Dave Keller

Another view of the East New York station looking north along the former NY & Manhattan Beach Railway tracks (LIRR Manhattan Beach / Bay Ridge branch) on November 10, 1910. Just beyond the 2-story station building can be seen the elevated "NO" tower straddling the LIRR's Atlantic branch. The tower controlled the at-grade track crossings. (LIRR valuation image)

Ticket_LI-City-East-NY_BradPhillips.jpg (67099 bytes)
Ticket - LI City to East New York c.1900+ Archive: Brad Phillips

11.  Station-East New York - 1910 (3).jpg (98859 bytes)
East New York Station -  11/16/1910
 Photo: LIRR Valuation Archive: Dave Keller

East New York station looking west along East New York Ave. on November 1 6, 1910 (LIRR valuation image//Dave Keller archive)

Ticket-East-New-York-Woodhaven-Junction_1929+_BradPhillips.jpg (57880 bytes)
Ticket - East New York to Woodhaven Junction 1929+
 Archive: Brad Phillips

 

5.  Tower-NO-over Atlantic Br-MB Branch View N - ENY-Bklyn - 04-24-1913 (Keller).jpg (279814 bytes)
We are looking north along the Manhattan Beach/Bay Ridge branch tracks as they cross the Atlantic branch at grade at East New York in Brooklyn on APRIL 24, 1913. At the far left is the elevated "NO" signal tower which protected the crossing. The station was just to the left of the tower outside the limits of this photo. (Dave Keller archive and data) 
6.  Tower-NO-over Atl Br-MU waits for M Bch Frt (View NW)-East NY - 02-18-1915 (Keller).jpg (311456 bytes)
Another view of "NO tower looking northwest on February 18, 1915 shows the lead motor of a westbound MP41 MU train stopped at the Manhattan Beach crossing to allow a freight train of gondola cars to pass, probably being used in the grade elimination project of the Bay Ridge branch. (Dave Keller archive and data) 
7.  Manhattan Bch Crossing Minus Tracks-Steel for BRT EL (View NW) - E NY - 1917 (Keller).jpg (306216 bytes)
Jump ahead two years and we see the same location only with some major changes. First, "NO" tower is no longer in existence, and . . . the Manhattan Beach / Bay Ridge branch tracks have been removed from their former location at-grade and have been relocated in tunnels that have been constructed under the East New York station facilities. The stacks of structural steel in the center of the image are most probably for the about-to-be-constructed BRT EL structures that will cross the LIRR's tracks. (Dave Keller archive and data)
12.  Tower-NO-LIRR-Atl Br-ENY-BRT EL-1913 (East).jpg (138384 bytes)
"NO" Tower - BRT El - View E 1913 Archive: Dave Keller

Looking East at the East New York station in 1913, we see "NO" interlocking tower and signal bridge at "Manhattan Crossing," where the Manhattan Beach / Bay Ridge branch crossed the LIRR's Atlantic branch tracks at grade. The BRT EL structure is visible just beyond the tower.

13.  Station-East New York,  Bklyn - looking east -Atlantic Ave.-  BRT 622, 105 at ATLANTIC AV STA FULTON ST LINE C-1915.jpg (122436 bytes)
East New York Station  Atlantic Ave. View E - BRT 622 105 at Atlantic Ave Station, Fulton Street Line c.1915

Looking east from the eastern end of the East New York station platform, we see a couple of old, wooden EL cars at  the BRT's Atlantic Ave. station c. 1915.

 

8.  Express House-East New York-Bklyn (View NW) - 05-22-1916 (Urquhart-Keller).jpg (266753 bytes)
This is the old express house at East New York station. The view looking northwest was photographed by one Urquhart who took many insurance photos of the BRT around the time of this one, which was shot on May 22, 1916. Mr. Urquhart probably photographed this non-BRT, LIRR structure as he's noted in the image the "E.N.Y. Reconstruction" which probably meant the construction of the BRT EL through this area. At the time of this photo, the Adams Express Co. handled express service on the LIRR. (Dave Keller archive and data)
14.  Station-ENY-LIRR Atlantic Br-BRT EL-3-19-20 (East).jpg (106532 bytes)
East New York Station - BRT El - View E 3/19/1920

Again, we're looking east but from further west on the station platform at East New York on March 19, 1920. The express house is visible to the right of the mid-track fence. The BRT EL structures for the Fulton and Canarsie lines are overhead. The ticket office / waiting room was located further south, away from the Atlantic branch tracks and set on a diagonal, paralleling an access track that curved off the Atlantic branch and connected with the southbound subterranean tracks of the Manhattan Beach/Bay Ridge branch. The track connection was later removed but the ticket office left in situ.

15.  LIRR Atlantic Br-ENY-Snediker Ave-Williams Pl, ENY Ave. Xing-Fulton-Canarsie ELs -C. 1938-(North).jpg (97281 bytes)
East New York - Snediker Ave-Williams Place ENY Ave. crossing  Fulton-Canarsie Els View N c.193- View N c.1938

This c. 1938 view is looking north at Snediker Avenue and Williams Place at the eastern end of the station platform at East New York, directly under the BRT's Fulton and Canarsie line EL structures. The Bay Ridge branch tracks are now underground at this location. What looks like a signal tower at the right is actually a crossing tower, where the crossing watchman would manually raise and lower the crossing gates at train time. (Dave Keller archive)

16.  LIRR Atlantic Br-ENY-Snediker Ave-Williams Pl-ENY Ave. Xing-Fulton-Canarsie ELs -C. 1938-(NE).jpg (121596 bytes)
East New York - Snediker Ave-Williams Place ENY Ave. crossing Fulton-Canarsie Els - View NE c.1938

This is a better view of the area taken at the same time but looking NE. The two EL trestles for the Fulton and Canarsie lines are easier to see. (Dave Keller archive)

17.  Station-East New York - View West From BMT Canarsie EL - 1938.JPG (128979 bytes)
East New York Station View W from BMT Canarsie El 1938

Looking west from the BRT EL structure, we see the East New York station with pedestrian crossover. At the far left can be seen the LIRR ticket office and waiting room set at a diagonal as indicated previously. The curving access track to the branch is no longer in place. (George E. Votava photo/Dave Keller archive)
18.  MP41 Train WB Approaching Sta-E.NY-View E from Canarsie El - 05-1939 (Keller).jpg (121339 bytes)
MP41 westbound train approaching East New York Station View E from Canarsie El 5/1939

An MU train consisting of MP41 cars heads westbound, approaching East New York station in May of 1939. Viewed east from the BRT EL, we see in the distance the LIRR's elevated structure which carried the tracks part-way along Atlantic Avenue, ending just west of the Warwick Street station. The tracks then returned to grade, and were elevated again west of East New York, to just west of the Nostrand Ave. station, where they went underground to access the Flatbush Ave. terminal whose tracks and platforms were subterranean. (Dave Keller archive)  

 

MU-train_East-New-York-station_ViewE-from-BMT-Fulton-EL_1940.jpg (82883 bytes)
MU train - East New York station View E 1940

Eastbound MU train leaving East New York station. View is looking E from the BMT Fulton EL.  The Canarsie EL and Fulton EL were adjacent to each other as they passed over the LIRR's East New York station at grade.  The Canarsie El was on the west side and the Fulton El was on the east side.  As this view is looking E, it was taken from off the Fulton EL.
This photo shows the tracks removed and ties still in place.  All in preparation for the grade elimination project . Info: Dave Keller

WARWICK STREET
19.  Station-Warwick Street-ENY-Bklyn-View SE-1938 (LIRR-Huneke).JPG (150229 bytes)
This is a birds-eye view of the elevated Warwick Street station in East New York. The view is looking southeast in 1938. It was opened as a rapid transit station stop and taken out of service in November, 1939 along with other former rapid transit stops, during the grade elimination project of 1939-40. (Art Huneke archive

 


Ticket - Flatbush Ave. to Warwick Street  GPA:  P.H. Woodward c. c.1920's Archive: Brad Phillips
railroad ave. - (autumn Ave.)
Interlocking-CN-1912.jpg (89821 bytes)
"CN" Interlocking - 1912
Interlocking-CN- 1922.jpg (88231 bytes)
"CN" Interlocking - 1922
Ticket_Jamiaca-Autumn-Ave_BradPhillips.jpg (60962 bytes)
Ticket - Jamaica to Autumn Ave. c.1929+ Archive: Brad Phillips

These two interlocking blueprints show the Chestnut Street Junction / Autumn Avenue location. The first blueprint shows the actual junction of the BRT connection with the LIRR's Atlantic branch via curving inclined ramps west of "CN" tower as it appeared in 1912. The second blueprint shows that area again in 1922 after the Chestnut Street Junction had been renamed, BRT connection and inclined ramps removed and the interlocking reworked. 
Archive: Art Huneke  Info: Dave Keller

20.  Tower-CN-ChestnutStJct-1923.jpg (39537 bytes)
Looking west from the cobble-stoned and planked Autumn Ave. (Railroad Ave.) crossing at the Autumn Ave. station in 1923, we see the elevated "CN" interlocking tower built on a signal bridge across the tracks. Originally named tower "65", it was placed in service in August, 1906 to control the connection between the LIRR and BRT systems during their period of joint operations. The tower was renamed "CN" (for the Chestnut Street incline connection) in 1907 and the BRT connection was removed in 1917 along with the inclined ramps constructed on either side of the tracks to bring the elevated trains down to, or up from, grade level. The interlocking plant was rebuilt in 1922 and the tower renamed "AUTUMN" in April, 1937. It remained in service until December 27, 1939 when it was closed due to the grade elimination project of 1939-40. (James V. Osborne photo, Dave Keller archive)
21.  Tower-CN-W. of Autumn Ave. Sta-Bklyn, NY (View SE) - 07-27-1930 (Sperr-Keller).jpg (75660 bytes)
Here's a terrific close-up view of "CN" tower looking southeast from Hemlock Street and Atlantic Avenue, towards the Autumn Avenue station which is visible in the left background of this photo taken on July 27, 1930). Note the semaphore block signals visible in the previous 1923 view have been replaced with position-light signals. (Percy Loomis Sperr photo, Dave Keller archive)
22.  Tower-CN-W. of Autumn Ave. Sta-Bklyn, NY (View SE) - 07-27-1930 (Sperr-Keller) (Zoom).jpg (100666 bytes)
This is a close-up of the block office at "CN" tower. Notice the keystone-shaped call letters sign, the single, bare light bulb suspended out on a pole to light up the stair landing, and an exterior pot-bellied stove which doesn't appear to have any stovepipe attached. (Percy Loomis Sperr photo, Dave Keller archive)
23.  Elevated Crossing Shanty-Station-Autumn Ave.- Bklyn, NY (View SE) - 07-27-1930 (Sperr-Keller) (2).jpg (65053 bytes)
Here we are at the crossing of Autumn Avenue at Atlantic Avenue on July 27, 1930. We're looking southeast along Atlantic Avenue towards the Autumn Avenue station. Prior to the grade elimination project, Atlantic Avenue ran on both sides of the LIRR's tracks. That portion of the branch that was not on an elevated viaduct but at-grade was separated from the tracks by many miles of wooden, picket fencing. Note the elevated crossing tower from which the crossing watchman would manually operate the crossing gates at train time. In addition to regular train service, rapid transit service operated along the Atlantic branch between 1905 and 1939, so the crossing watchmen had a very busy job on any given day. (Percy Loomis Sperr photo, Dave Keller archive)
24.  Elevated Crossing Shanty-Station-Autumn Ave.- Bklyn, NY (View SE) - 07-27-1930 (Sperr-Keller).jpg (68689 bytes)
This is a closer view of the elevated crossing tower at Autumn Avenue taken on the same day as the previous view. Note the two covered stairwells to the left and right of the women crossing the tracks. These were for pedestrians to cross the tracks safely via a subterranean tunnel. The sign reads "DO NOT CROSS TRACKS - USE SUBWAY." As the tunnel most probably stunk of urine and may have had undesirables hanging out down there intending harm, the women, wearing summer dresses, white hats, white gloves and white shoes, decided to cross the tracks at street level. (Percy Loomis Sperr photo, Dave Keller archive)
25.  Station-Autumn Ave.-AUTUMN Tower Bklyn, NY (View W) - 10-26-39 (Keller).jpg (56856 bytes)
Standing on the wooden station platform at Autumn Avenue and looking west on October 26, 1939, we see the various wooden shelters and possible 2-door outhouse facility at the right-of-center of this view on the westbound platform. The proximity of the two doors indicates to me "men" and "women." In the distance can be seen "AUTUMN" tower which had been renamed 2-1/2 years earlier from the previous "CN". (Dave Keller archive)
UNION COURSE
25a.  Station-Union Course (View NW) - c. 1925 (Osborne-Keller).jpg (73118 bytes)
The gates are down and there's a bit of a crowd awaiting the westbound train in this c. 1925 image of Union Course station. The elevated crossing tower is visible at the west end of the platform. (James V. Osborne photo, Dave Keller archive)
26.  Station-Union Course-View E-10-26-39 (Keller).jpg (67246 bytes)
Looking east from the pedestrian crossover on 10/26/39, we see the station facilities at Union Course. It originally appeared on timetables of March, 1837, to service the Union Course racetrack. This became one of the LIRR's rapid transit stops and was discontinued with the grade elimination project of 1939-40. (Dave Keller archive)

 

Ticket_Jamiaca-Union-Course_BradPhillips.jpg (53684 bytes)
Ticket - Jamaica to Union Course c.1929+ Archive: Brad Phillips
WOODHAVEN
27.  MP41-Collision with H6sb Switching Frt-Woodhaven-04-1925 (Keller) (1).jpg (87762 bytes)
This view from April, 1925 shows the results of a collision between a LIRR MP41 MU electric train and a class H6sb (2-8-0) steam locomotive which was switching freight in Woodhaven. In the background is the Lalance & Grosjean Mfg. Co. plant, which manufactured the old style agate-wear pots and pans with a porcelain-enamel, spotted finish. (Dave Keller archive)
28.  MP41-Collision with H6sb Switching Frt-Woodhaven-04-1925 (Keller) (2).jpg (62860 bytes)
Here's a close-up view of the same wreck, showing the destroyed cab of the H6sb locomotive, the frame of the tender (upper portion is missing) and a destroyed MP41 MU car. Note the twin semaphore signals on the signal mast. (Dave Keller archive)  
29.  MP41 Train-Rapid Transit Service-at Sta-Woodhaven-c. 1930 (Keller).jpg (65081 bytes)
A three-car rapid transit train is making a stop at the Woodhaven station around 1930. Woodhaven was another of the rapid transit station stops that was discontinued in the 1939-40 grade elimination project. The Woodhaven Junction station, 1/2 mile east of Woodhaven station, was rebuilt underground in this project and renamed "Woodhaven." (Dave Keller archive)
29a.  Station-Woodhaven (View E from 87th St.) - 09-29-38 (Keller).jpg (85228 bytes)
It's train time at the Woodhaven station and the gates are down. This view is looking east from the 87th Street crossing on September 29, 1938. At the far right is Atlantic Avenue, which ran on both sides of the LIRR's tracks when at grade. After the grade elimination project, the tracks that were originally at-grade were placed underground and Atlantic Avenue was constructed above them as one main road. (Dave Keller archive)

 

29b.  Station-Crossing Tower-Woodhaven (View E from 87th St.) - 09-29-38 (Keller).jpg (84065 bytes)
Taken on the same day, the gates are still down at the 87th Street crossing at Woodhaven station. The crossing watchman in the elevated crossing tower has manually cranked them down, and the flashing lights are mounted on a concrete island stanchion in the center of the street. This view is also looking east, with a truck heading up Atlantic Avenue. The large smokestack in the right background is that of the Lalance & Grosjean Mfg. Co. It appears the crossing watchman is holding some sort of conversation with the photographer. (Dave Keller archive)

 

Ticket_Jamiaca-Woodhaven_BradPhillips.jpg (58648 bytes)
Ticket - Jamaica to Woodhaven  c.1929+ Archive: Brad Phillips
WOODHAVEN JCT.
30.  MP41 MU Train on Atlantic Br-Woodhaven Jct-View W from WT Tower-09-01-07 (Keller).jpg (115118 bytes)
A five-car MU train consisting of MP41 electric cars is viewed from "WT" tower on September 1, 1907. The lead car is on the track curving to the left and is headed southbound onto the connection leading to the Rockaway Beach branch. The continuous wooden picket fencing separated the tracks from Atlantic Avenue, shown here as an unpaved dirt road on both sides of the tracks. This is Woodhaven Junction and the tower, originally identified as "66," controlled this junction by 1884. The tower was renamed "WT" in 1907 and "HAVEN" on April 15, 1937. It was taken out of service on February 29, 1940 due to the grade elimination project and a new, subterranean tower was built, retaining the "HAVEN" name. (Dave Keller archive)
31.  Tower-WT-Woodhaven Jct-Atl Br-4-24-18 (lo res).jpg (104872 bytes)
Here's "WT" tower at Woodhaven Junction looking east on April 24, 1918. The depot is blocked from view by the interlocking tower at the right but the high-level wooden platforms are visible in the distance. A boxcar is spotted on the team track behind the depot and the elevated crossing tower with watchman is visible at the far left. The watchman would manually operate the crossing gates from this tower. In the distance can be seen the bridge carrying the LIRR's Rockaway Beach branch tracks. The Woodhaven Junction station on that branch was accessed by stairs leading from the station platform on the Atlantic branch below. The cutoff connecting the two branches as seen in the previous image was behind the photographer. (LIRR valuation photo, Dave Keller archive)

 

32.  Tower-Haven-Woodhaven Jct (view NW from Rock Bch Connx -1939.jpg (69236 bytes)
It's 1939 and almost the end of the line for the former "WT" tower now identified as "HAVEN" at Woodhaven Junction. It will be taken out of service at the end of February the following year. In the distance is an MU electric train eastbound approaching the tower and the cutoff tracks connecting the Atlantic branch with the Rockaway Beach branch are seen to the left of the train and tower. (Photographer and archive unidentified)

1.  Station-Woodhaven Jct-Atlantic Branch (View E) - 04-03-1916 (Keller).jpg (92792 bytes)
Looking east in this LIRR valuation image from April 3, 1916, we see the high level platforms and depot building at Woodhaven Junction.  A whistle post is visible at the west end of the eastbound station platform, for an upcoming grade crossing and beyond the depot is the large, brick, LIRR Substation #3.  Beyond that the overpass carries the LIRR's Rockaway Beach branch.  The Woodhaven Junction station on that branch was located alongside the electric substation.  (Dave Keller archive)

 

CLARENCEVILLE 
2.  Station-Clarenceville - 1938 (Keller).jpg (81884 bytes)
This is the Clarenceville station looking West in 1938. In the distance you can just make out the wooden pedestrian crossover that was constructed in 1906. Like many of the other stations along this branch, it was taken out of service on November 1, 1939 and demolished in the grade crossing elimination project of 1939-40. (Dave Keller archive)
32c.  Station-Clarenceville (View E) - 10-28-39 (Keller).jpg (67959 bytes)
Looking east from the wooden station platform we see the old Clarenceville station with Pennsylvania Railroad keystone-shaped station signs and gooseneck platform lampposts. This view was photographed on October 28, 1939, four days before the station stop was taken out of service. (Dave Keller archive)

 

Ticket_Flatbush-Ave-Clarenceville_BradPhillips.jpg (56689 bytes)
Ticket - Flatbush Ave. to Clarenceville  c.1929+ Archive: Brad Phillips
Pedestrian Xing-Gates-Shanty-109th St. & Atlantic Ave.-Clarenceville, NY (View N) - 05-07-34 (Sperr-Keller).jpg (105446 bytes)
Pedestrian crossing gates and shanty 109th Street-Atlantic Ave., Clarenceville  View N 5/07/1934 (Sperr-Keller)
109th St. & Atlantic Ave. - (View N) - 07-27-2014 (Bing Maps).jpg (72402 bytes)
109th Street-Atlantic Ave., Clarenceville  View N  7/27/2014 Bing maps

Looking north at 109th St. and Atlantic Avenue we see the pedestrian crossing, manual crossing gates and manned crossing shanty in the area of Queens once known as Clarenceville. At the time of this photo taken on May 7, 1934, the LIRR ran on the surface through here. Most of the north-south streets did not cross the LIRR's tracks. Atlantic Avenue ran parallel to the tracks on both the north and south sides of the right-of-way. With the exception of several below-ground pedestrian crossovers, this was the only at-grade footpath along the Atlantic branch. When the Atlantic Avenue grade elimination project began in late 1939, most of the former LIRR rapid transit stations were taken out of service, demolished and the tracks placed beneath Atlantic Avenue from just outside Morris Park Shops where they entered the tunnel, up to where they came out of the tunnel just east of the East New York station and began to climb a steel viaduct west of the station, until returning underground once again just west of Nostrand Avenue station for the final distance to the subterranean terminal at Flatbush Avenue. (Percy Loomis Sperr photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

 

MORRIS PARK
33.  Station-Morris Park-View S-1905.JPG (108999 bytes)
Looking south on October 12, 1905, we see the small, wooden-framed depot at Morris Park. Note the outhouse at the far left, penny scale outside the waiting room door, wooden pedestrian crosswalk across the tracks, kids sitting on the coal bin and a Dietz kerosene platform lamp to light the old wooden platforms. This was a rapid transit stop, one-half block away from the entrance to the Morris Park Shops on 120th Street, with a small park directly behind the depot building. Opened in 1886, it was discontinued as a station stop on November 1, 1939 and subsequently demolished as a result of the grade crossing elimination of 1939-40. (Unidentified photographer and archive)
34.  Station-Morris Park-Lefferts Blvd & Atlantic Ave-Queens (View NE) - 05-07-34 (P. Sperr-Keller).jpg (128157 bytes)
Here's the Morris Park station viewed northeast from the rear of the depot on May 7, 1934. You can see the small park that was located behind the structure. The white building in the center background is the LIRR's Morris Park Shops Maintenance of Equipment (MofE) building. (Percy Loomis Sperr photo, Dave Keller archive) 
34a.  Crossing-120th St & Atlantic Ave-Morris Park-Queens (View NE) - 05-07-34 (Sperr-Keller).jpg (141134 bytes)
Here we have a zoomed-in close-up of the previous image, showing the 120th St. crossing with crossing shanty, the MofE building at the entrance to Morris Park Shops and a two-car MU electric train. In the distance can be seen some more of the Shops' buildings. (Percy Loomis Sperr photo, Dave Keller archive)
35.  Station-Morris Park-View NW-c. 1939 (Huneke).JPG (124149 bytes)
Here's another rear view of the Morris Park station, only looking northwest from the park behind the depot in 1939. The windows are boarded up, probably in preparation for the grade elimination project that is soon to come tearing through here. (Art Huneke archive)
3.  Station-Morris Park (View W. from 120th St) - 09-07-38 (Keller).jpg (76200 bytes)
Another view of the Morris Park station, this time looking west on September 7, 1938 from the 120th St. crossing and showing the high-level platforms and shelter. Note the Pennsylvania Railroad Keystone station sign.  (Dave Keller archive)

 

4.  Station-Morris Park-WB MU Train (View NE) - 10-26-39 (Keller).jpg (55413 bytes)
Morris Park station from the opposite direction, looking northeast towards the 120th St. crossing on October 26, 1939.  A 3-car MP41 MU train is heading westbound into the station.  Just visible in the background behind the train is the multi-story, white Maintenance-of-Equipment building at the start of the Morris Park Shops.  The end is very near.  In six days, this station will be taken out of service.  (Dave Keller archive)

 

6.  ROW-New Portals for Tracks-MP Shops (View W) - c. 1939 (Keller).jpg (83807 bytes)
Here we see the concrete tunnel portals and retaining walls for the Atlantic branch tracks as they prepare to dive below grade just outside the Morris Park Shops.  This view is looking west and the Maintenance-of-Equipment building at the shops is visible at the right with the temporary single westbound track and position-light signal.  The ground hasn't been completed graded as of yet but will soon be so track can be laid.  This view is either late 1939 or early 1940.  The crane in the distance may be dismantling the Morris Park station facilities west of 120th St.  (Dave Keller archive)

 

36.  Station-Morris Park Shops-Employee Platform-PNC 1702 - 08-75 (eBay).jpg (106274 bytes)
Ever since Morris Park Shops opened in the late 19th century, there has been an employee station stop at that location. "Shops" station was a very large, wooden, shelter-shed, originally located on the Montauk branch across from the Richmond Hill Storage Yard when the Montauk branch was at grade and lasted until the branch was elevated on an embankment (1911-12) . In later years, a small, metal platform was installed on the Atlantic branch. Employees wishing to get off the train here would have to advise the conductor in advance and stand in the vestibule of the lead car. The conductor would notify the motorman/engineer to make an employee station stop. Looking northwest in August, 1975, we see that platform here at the far right on the westbound side of the tracks. In the center is leased Precision National GP9 #1702. This station stop for employees was enlarged in later years and, sometime in the 1990s, named "Boland's Landing." (eBay image)

 

5.  ROW-MP Shops (View W from Pedestrian X-over) - 12-29-1908 (Keller).jpg (77933 bytes)
Looking west from the combination pedestrian crossover / signal bridge we see an overall view of Morris Park Shops on December 29, 1908.  Note the triangular points of one of the semaphore signals at the upper right. At the left are the two electrified tracks of the Atlantic branch, in the center is the yard lead for Morris Park Shops and at the right are the non-electrified tracks of the Montauk branch at grade.  The tracks curve to the right and just outside the view of the camera would be the "Shops" station for employees, directly across from the Richmond Hill Storage Yard. Behind the photographer is "MP" tower.  (Dave Keller archive)
37.  Tower-MP-West-Morris Park Shops - 11-9-1911.jpg (88623 bytes)
This is a rare view of the Atlantic branch passing Morris Park Shops and the very tall "MP" tower. Looking west on November 9, 1911, we see the interlocking tower at the left, a steam locomotive eastbound on the Atlantic branch, the large pedestrian crossover/signal bridge spanning all the tracks on the east side of the shops and locomotives laying up at Morris Park Shops. The pile of dirt at the far right is part of the construction of the embankment which elevated the Montauk branch through this area. "MP" tower, originally named tower "67," (erection date not known) was renamed "MP" in 1907. It was replaced by a new, brick tower with the same call letters, located on the opposite side of the tracks from the old tower and slightly further east. It was placed in service on January 20, 1914. That tower was later renamed "DUNTON." (Dave Keller archive)

 

DUNTON
38.  Tower-Dunton-Morris Park Shops - View W - c. 1938 (Keller).jpg (97230 bytes)
We're looking west from the signal bridge just west of Dunton station c. 1938 along the Atlantic branch towards Morris Park Shops. The grade elimination project has not yet begun and the tracks are still at grade in the distance. After the elimination was complete, the tracks entered tunnels about in line with the Maintenance-of-Equipment building at the shops. At the center are locomotives laying up at the Shops and the diagonal coaling elevator accessing the old wooden coaling tower. At the right is "DUNTON' tower, formerly "MP" but renamed on April 23, 1937. At the far right, behind the tower, is the elevated Montauk branch atop the embankment and the track under the branch, entering the tunnel, accesses the Richmond Hill Storage Yard, located on the other side of the embankment. (Dave Keller archive)
39.  Tower-Dunton-East-Security Shanty at Stairs-03-08-43 (F. Weber-R. Zinn).jpg (83325 bytes)
Looking east from in front of "DUNTON" tower on March 8, 1943, we see the signal bridge from which the previous photo was shot. Under the bridge are MU electric passenger trains laying up and in the right background is the Sheffield Farms dairy plant. At the left can be seen the stairs accessing 130th Street (Maure Ave.) below. This is a wartime photo shot by LIRR insurance claims photographer Frederick Weber. Railroad photography was not permitted during the war years, but Weber had permission to take photographs of the LIRR as a result of his position with the company. Also prohibited was unauthorized access of rail yards. As the above mentioned stairs accessed 130th St. the guard shanty in the image was installed at the head of the stairs to keep unauthorized individuals out. (Ron Zinn archive) 
39aa.  Station-Dunton-Under Construction (View E) - 01-14-1914 (LIRR-Keller).jpg (118925 bytes)
Looking east in this LIRR valuation photo, we see Dunton station under construction on January 14, 1914. Semaphore block signals, still minus their blades, are in the process of being installed on the overhead signal bridge. (LIRR valuation photo, Dave Keller archive)

Ticket_Dunton-Jamaica_BradPhillips.jpg (54600 bytes)
Ticket - Jamaica to Dunton c.1929+ Archive: Brad Phillips

7.  Station-Dunton (View NW) - 07-02-39 (Keller).jpg (59401 bytes)
Originally opened as a station stop west of Van Wyck Ave. the Dunton station was relocated to the east side of Van Wyck Ave. to be able to service riders on both the Atlantic and Montauk branches but it was closed in 1910.  By 1914, a brick depot building was constructed at the east end of Morris Park Shops, with long, concrete, high-level platforms and long shelter.  In this view of Dunton station taken on July 2, 1939, the brick depot is at the far left, at the west end of the eastbound station platform.  The shelter at the right has the Pennsylvania Railroad keystone-shaped station sign in place.  In the center is the signal bridge with semaphore block signals and beyond it is "DUNTON" tower and Morris Park Shops.  As substantial as this station was, it, too, was removed during the grade elimination project of 1939-40, although the tracks through here remained at grade.  Possibly ridership did not warrant the expense of the upkeep of these facilities.  (Dave Keller archive)  

 

40.  Tower-Dunton-View NW - 1967 (Keller-Keller).jpg (84215 bytes)
This view of "DUNTON" tower from 1967 is looking northwest with the elevated Montauk branch directly behind the tower and the tunnel accessing the storage yard is visible to the right of the tower. (Dave Keller photo and archive)
41.  Tower-Dunton-View NE - 12-25-71 (Keller-Keller).jpg (78638 bytes)
"DUNTON" tower is seen here on Christmas Day in 1971. The view is northeast. "DUNTON" tower was placed in service on January 20, 1914 as "MP" tower. Renamed "DUNTON" on April 23, 1937, it remained in constant use for nearly 97 years, until taken out of service on October 24, 2010. (Dave Keller photo and archive)
CEDAR MANOR
Cedar-Manor_c.1918-eBay.jpg (50078 bytes)
LIRR valuation photo of Cedar Manor station is looking north c. 1918. This depot was very similar in architectural style to the 2nd Calverton depot on the LIRR's Main Line. (eBay image)
42.  Station-Cedar-Manor-View NW - 1937 (Keller).jpg (71057 bytes)
Looking northwest from the 114th Avenue (Formerly Power Place) crossing, we see the little wooden-framed Cedar Manor station in 1937 when the tracks and station were at-grade. Originally named "Power Place" in 1906, it was later renamed "Cedar Manor." It was taken out of service on January 28, 1959 due to the grade elimination project elevating the tracks through here and discontinued as a station stop at that time. The little depot was demolished the following month. (Dave Keller archive)
42a.  Tower-NA-NY Ave. Xing-E of Cedar Manor (View W) - 1923 (Osborne-Keller).jpg (78364 bytes)
Here is the old wooden "NA" interlocking tower east of Cedar Manor at the planked crossing of New York Avenue, as it looked in 1923. It's quite a hot summer's day as all the tower windows and upper door are open to catch any hint of a breeze. The block operator is visible sitting at his desk. Placed in service in 1918, the tower was taken out of service on November 15, 1933. (James V. Osborne photo, Dave Keller archive)
Ticket-LIRR-Weekly-Ticket_NY-Penn-Cedar-Manor_9-11-1936.jpg (67597 bytes)
LIRR Weekly Ticket - NY Penn to Cedar Manor 
9/11/1936 Archive: Brad Phillips
Ticket-LIRR-Weekly-Ticket_reverse_NY-Penn-Cedar-Manor_9-11-1936.jpg (46833 bytes)
LIRR Weekly Ticket reverse - NY Penn to Cedar Manor 
9/11/1936 Archive: Brad Phillips
LOCUST MANOR
43.  MU-West-Locust-Manor-Jamaica-Racetrack-c1936.jpg (93707 bytes)
We're looking northeast in this c. 1936 view of the Locust Manor station. Originally opened as a station stop known as "Locust Avenue" by the South Side Railroad of LI in 1867, the depot was replaced in 1898. A wooden shelter-shed was added adjacent to the east side of the little depot building in 1927, as can be seen in this image. The stop was renamed "Locust Manor" in 1929. This was the station stop for the Jamaica Racetrack starting back in 1906. In the distance is an MU electric train stopped at the high-level racetrack station platform installed in 1947 to accommodate two 10-car race trains. The station was taken out of service on January 28, 1959 with the grade elimination project. (Dave Keller archive)
44.  MU-West-Locust-Manor-Jamaica-Racetrack-c1936-2.jpg (99527 bytes)
This is a close-up of the previous image showing the MU electric race train stopped at the high-level racetrack platform. (Dave Keller archive)
46.  Station-Jamaica Race Track-MU Race Train-Locust Manor-1944.JPG (156766 bytes)
A MU electric race train is stopped at the wooden, high-level station platform at the Jamaica Racetrack station at Locust Manor in 1944. This view is looking east. (Unidentified photographer and archive)
47.  Station-Jamaica Racetrack-Grade Elimination-Locust Manor-View W-1958 (Edwards-Keller).jpg (73945 bytes)
Looking west in 1959, the newly-elevated tracks are visible at the right and the older tracks and high and low platforms for the Jamaica Racetrack are visible at the left. At the far left is the grandstand of the racetrack. (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive)

 

47a.  Station-Locust Manor (View W) - 02-21-77 (Erlitz-Keller).jpg (101341 bytes)
Looking west along the eastbound station platform at Locust Manor, we see the elevated station facilities as they appeared on a cold, snowy February 21, 1977. (Jeffrey Erlitz photo, Dave Keller archive)
48.  Springfield Shed B-Locust Manor-View NW-03-30-21 (LIRR Valuation Photo-Keller).jpg (117581 bytes)
Looking northwest on March 30, 1921, we see "Springfield Shed B," one of four "Springfield Sheds" that were constructed on the north side of the tracks east of the then-named Locust Avenue station. Made of corrugated sheet metal, they were erected in 1904-05 and were 900 feet long. When the LIRR received their first fleet of MP41 MU electric cars, they were brought here to have their electric motors installed in 1905-06. The sheds were razed c. 1937 and the tracks removed sometime later. (LIRR Valuation photo, Dave Keller archive)
49.  Springfield Car Shed D  - Locust Mnr - 03-30-1921 (LIRR-Morrison).jpg (104109 bytes)
Also looking northwest on the same day, we see "Springfield Shed D." Note the old hand-pump in the foreground. After the sheds no longer were needed for installation of the electric motors on the MP41 cars, they were used to store extra MP41 motor cars and trailers that were not needed on the winter timetable. (LIRR Valuation photo, David Morrison archive)

 

50.  Springfield Car Shed D Site-Locust Mnr-West-6-25-37.jpg (116893 bytes)
Looking west just east of Locust Manor station on June 25, 1937 we see the main tracks at grade at the far left, the access track in the center and the storage tracks that once entered "Springfield Shed D." The sheds were razed earlier that year. (Dave Keller archive)

HIGBIE AVENUE
50a.  Station Sign-Higbie Ave.-Laurelton - 08-31-57 (Faxon, Jr.-Keller).jpg (94399 bytes)
This is the old platform lamp with station sign for the Higbie Avenue station in Laurelton on August 31, 1957. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive)

 

50b.  Station-Higbie Ave.-Laurelton (View NE) - 08-31-57 (Faxon, Jr.-Keller).jpg (133460 bytes)
Higbie Avenue station in Laurelton is viewed looking NE on August 31, 1957. Opened in 1908 as "Springfield", it was renamed in September, 1927. The ticket agency eventually became part-time and then the agency closed sometime after 1956. The old depot was demolished in late 1958-early 1959. The temporary station was taken out of service on February 2, 1960 with completion of the grade elimination and the station stop discontinued. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive)
50c.  Station-Higbie Ave-Temp Sta-Tracks-Laurelton (View NE) - 08-16-58 (Faxon, Jr.-Keller).jpg (110019 bytes)
The grade elimination project is underway at the Higbie Avenue station in this view photographed on August 16, 1958. Looking northeast from the temporary station platform, the freshly-ballasted, temporary tracks with mid-track fence are in the foreground, the temporary wooden shelter is on the westbound platform. The old depot is in the left background and the old wooden shelter-shed in the center of this image is in the process of being torn down. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive) 
51.  MU Train East at 141st St. Crossing - Higbie Ave. Station-Laurelton-View E - 08-31-57 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (129134 bytes)
An MU electric train is eastbound over the 141st Street crossing at Higbie Avenue station, Laurelton in this eastward view taken on August 31, 1957. The crossing shanty is at the right and the crossing watchman has manually cranked down the gates. The mid-track fence at the left indicates the extent of the Higbie Avenue station facilities. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive)
52.  MU Train on Temp Tracks-Approaching Temp Sta-Higbie Ave.-Laurelton-View W - 08-15-58 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (98823 bytes)
Another MU train is approaching the temporary Higbie Ave. station via the temporary tracks in place for the upcoming grade elimination project. At the right are the former main tracks as viewed westward on August 15, 1958. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive)
53.  MU Train East Leaving Temp Station-Higbie Ave., Laurelton-View SW - 08-16-58 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (99649 bytes)
An MU train is eastbound leaving the temporary station at Higbie Avenue on August 16, 1958. This view is looking west. Note at the far right the old diamond crossing sign still in use. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive)

 

Ticket-Lynbrook-Higbie-Ave_c.1948+_BradPhillips.jpg (59163 bytes)
Ticket - Lynbrook to Higbie Ave c.1948+ Archive: Brad Phillips
LAURELTON
53a.  Cabin-SR-Spfd Blvd Xing W of Laurelton (View E) - 1923 (Osborne-Keller).jpg (84966 bytes)
"SR" interlocking cabin was located west of Laurelton, and is seen here in this 1923 view looking east, at the planked crossing of Springfield Boulevard. Someone fond of gardening has what looks like ivy covering the entire trackside wall and roof portion of the cabin with other growth on the crossing side. Placed in service in 1912, the cabin also served as the crossing shanty and when the block office was taken out of service in 1923, the building remained in place for continued use as a crossing shanty, lasting until the grade elimination project removed the crossing. (James V. Osborne photo, Dave Keller archive)
54.  Station-Laurelton - 04-30-1946  Weber-Morrison).jpg (123040 bytes)
This is the old Laurelton station when at grade, back on April 30, 1946. This depot, built in 1907, had beautiful landscaping. Sadly, it was razed in 1950 due to the grade elimination project. This terrific view shows the landscaped depot at the left and the wooden shelter shed at the right. The crossing shanty with crossing watchman are at the far left. The gates have been manually lowered. The elevated station that replaced this old depot was opened in October-November, 1950. The ticket agency closed on December 10, 1996. (Frederick Weber photo, David Morrison archive)
55.  MU-Leaving-Laurelton-Spfd-Blvd-Xing-c1950.jpg (81457 bytes)
In the distance of this c. 1950 image we see an MU train westbound leaving the now-elevated Laurelton station. The train is coming down off the elevated embankment as it approaches the Springfield Blvd. crossing. (Dave Keller archive)

 

56.  MU Train East on Temp Tracks-Spfd Blvd Approaching Sta-Laurelton-View E - 08-16-58 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (120602 bytes)
Looking west, an eastbound MU train is on the temporary tracks over the Springfield Blvd. crossing as it begins to climb the grade towards the already-elevated Laurelton station during the grade elimination project through Higbie Avenue station on August 16, 1958. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive)
57.  MU Train W at Crossing-Spfd Blvd-Laurelton-View SE - 08-16-58.jpg (84533 bytes)
A westbound MU electric train is about to make the crossing of Springfield Blvd. on August 16, 1958. This view is looking southeast with the crossing shanty at the left. These gates were manually operated by the watchman who is leaning on one of them and waving to the motorman who in turn is waving back. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive)
58.  MU Train W-Spfd Blvd-Laurelton-View E - 08-16-58 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (94008 bytes)
Looking in the opposite direction at Springfield Blvd., a westbound MU electric train is approaching the crossing. The wires and suspended white lower bar on the gates was designed to keep pedestrians from ducking under the gates and car hoods from jutting dangerously too far into the path of oncoming trains. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive)
54a.  Station-Laurelton (View NW) - 02-21-77 (Erlitz-Keller).jpg (88984 bytes)
This is the elevated station at Laurelton which opened in October-November, 1950, replacing the old, beautifully landscaped depot at-grade. The agency closed on December 10, 1996. (Jeffrey B. Erlitz photo, Dave Keller archive)

 

SPRINGFIELD JUNCTION
59.  MU Train E on Springfield Branch Approaching Spfd. Jct. -Laurelton-View E - 08-31-57 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (109524 bytes)
Looking east from the eastern end of the Laurelton station on August 31, 1957, we see an MU electric train on the Springfield branch, approaching Springfield Junction east of Laurelton and west of Rosedale stations. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive) 
60.  Tower-SP-SpfdJct-1923 (Osborne-Keller).jpg (75114 bytes)
"SP" tower at Springfield Junction, constructed on a signal bridge west of Foster's Meadow Road, west of Rosedale station, controlled the junction of the LIRR's Atlantic branch with the Springfield/Montauk branch. It was placed in service on May 12, 1906. This view is looking west. It was taken out of service on September 10, 1923, shortly after this image was photographed that same year. (James V. Osborne photo, Dave Keller archive)

 

61.  Station-Rosedale-MP41 Train-c. 1910 (Keller).jpg (85210 bytes)
An MP41 MU electric "sandwich" train is seen here at the Rosedale station looking west c. 1910. The train consisted of a MU motor car on each side of a wooden, center-door trailer car sandwiched between. Rosedale station was originally a South Side Railroad of LI station stop, in service on October 28, 1867 as "Foster's Meadow." The original depot was replaced in 1889 by this structure and the original depot possibly used as the freight house, which was done on several occasions on the LIRR. The stop was renamed "Rosedale" in 1892 and the depot was razed in November, 1948 in the grade elimination project. (Dave Keller archive)
ROSEDALE
62.  Station-Rosedale-View SW - c. 1920.jpg (130465 bytes)
This old photo looking southwest shows the Rosedale station c. 1920. The depot building is covered with ad posters, which was very typical of advertising at the time. (Unidentified photographer and archive
63.  Station-Rosedale-View SE-04-14-1931.jpg (64770 bytes)
Looking southeast on April 14, 1931, we see the Rosedale station, freight house and express house in the distance. Originally a South Side Rail Road station stop, the original depot may have been used as the freight house for this 1889 replacement depot. The architecture is of the style used by the SSRR, with a high level platform and overhead canopy added to accommodate freight handling. (Unidentified photographer and archive)
64.  Station-Rosedale-View E - 1936 (Keller).jpg (63543 bytes)
This is a similar view of the Rosedale station shot five years later in 1936. View is east. (Dave Keller archive)
65.  Station-Rosedale-View NW - Summer-1941.jpg (73718 bytes)
Here is a rear view of the Rosedale station looking northwest during the summer of 1941. A theatre poster on the east wall advertises the production of "Native Son" starring Orson Welles. The show ran from March to June of 1941 at the St. James Theatre in N. Y. City. (Unidentified photographer and archive)

 

65a.  Station-Rosedale (View W) - 12-24-76 (Madden-Keller).jpg (86515 bytes)
Looking west, this is the elevated station at Rosedale, which replaced the old depot at-grade. It opened in October-November, 1950. The agency closed on August 19, 2009. (Wm. Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)

 

VALLEY STREAM
66.  Station-Valley Stream-C. 1910.jpg (108599 bytes)
This is Valley Stream station at-grade, photographed c. 1910. Looking southwest, we see the diamond crossing sign at the left and in the background, a train of wooden coaches on the east leg of the wye track accessing the Far Rockaway branch. The depot was constructed inside the legs of the wye track. A short distance east of the depot was the junction of the West Hempstead branch. (Unidentified photographer and archive)
67.  Station-Valley Stream-View SW - 1924 (Ziel).jpg (101017 bytes)
Almost shot at the same angle as the previous image, but in 1924, we see the aftermath of a train-versus-truck confrontation. The truck was pushed into the diamond crossing sign. Crossing gates have been installed at the time of this photo, but it appears the truck driver had different ideas about stopping. In the right background, adjacent to the depot, an express house has been added since the previous, earlier view. (Unidentified photographer, Ron Ziel archive)
68.  MU Trains-Old MU Yard-Valley Strm-9-14-32 (Keller).jpg (79780 bytes)
Here we see the old MU layup yard south of the Valley Stream station when it was at-grade. This view looking north was photographed on 09/14/32. To the far left was the curved station platform and Far Rockaway branch track. The grade crossing elimination project through here would begin the following month. (Dave Keller archive) 



69.  MU Train West Leaving Station-Valley Stream-View E - 06-02-62 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (129512 bytes)
A westbound train pulled by a MU double-decker electric motor is leaving the elevated station at Valley Stream in this northeast view taken on June 2, 1962. The elevated station facilities were opened on June 27, 1933. (Will V. Faxon, Jr. photo, Dave Keller archive)
70.  MU-Ladies Day-EB at Sta-Valley Stream (View NW) (Keller-Keller).jpg (76859 bytes)
A two-car MU electric train with banner on the 2nd car advertising the LIRR's "Ladies Day" special is eastbound on the Atlantic branch track at the elevated Valley Stream station in this 1967 view looking northwest. Being a two-car train, it most probably is bound for West Hempstead. After leaving the station, it will hit the crossover tracks just beyond "VALLEY" interlocking tower and head up the West Hempstead branch. The white tower at platform level is the old baggage/express elevator shaft, which was used to transport items from the ground-level ticket office to platform level. (Dave Keller photo and archive)
71.  Tower-VALLEY-Valley Stream (View E) - 07-10-65 (Smith-Keller).jpg (95334 bytes)
The Atlantic branch ends at Valley Stream station. The tracks then continue further east, becoming the Long Beach branch and head to Lynbrook where they curve off and head to Long Beach. The Far Rockaway branch leaves the Atlantic branch at Valley Stream, curving off to Far Rockaway. Controlling all this plus the previously-mentioned West Hempstead branch crossover switches and signals is "VALLEY" interlocking tower, seen here in this eastward view photographed on July 10, 1965 from the east end of the Valley Stream station platform. At the left is an MU electric train on the Montauk branch tracks, bypassing this center-island platform station. To the immediate right of the tower is an MU electric train on what now becomes the Long Beach branch and at the right are the two tracks of the Far Rockaway branch curving off from the Atlantic branch with a westbound MU electric train approaching the junction. Opened as "VA" tower on June 27, 1933 with completion of the grade elimination project, it was renamed "VALLEY" on April 30, 1937. (Harold A. Smith photo, Dave Keller archive)