Deer Park -  Shelter Island Express 1904
(Fullerton-Morrison)
DEER PARK
Deer Park Station - Freight House 1920's Archive: Art Huneke

DEER PARK: 1ST DEPOT OPENED: 03/12/1842 WITH OPENING OF LIRR TO THAT POINT. STAGECOACH SERVICE TO BABYLON.
2ND DEPOT BUILT: APR-MAY/1884, CLOSED: 8/25/36 DUE TO GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION OF DEER PARK AVE.
COVERED PLATFORMS REMOVED AND DEPOT JACKED UP AND RELOCATED TO TEMPORARY SHOO-FLY TRACK.  MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION ON HALF HOLLOW ROAD S. OF THE TRACKS (move is Robert Emery data).
3RD, ELEVATED DEPOT OPENED: 12/17/36. AGENCY CLOSED:? DEPOT CLOSED: 1987
4TH
DEPOT RELOCATED FURTHER EAST OF FORMER LOCATION WITH HI-LEVEL PLATFORMS IN SVC:  9/14/87 Research: Dave Keller
 

Here's a copy of a very old cyanotype view of Deer Park station looking NE c. 1910.  The cyanotype process originated in the 1840s.  This process produced a cyan-blue print. Engineers used the process well into the 20th century as a simple and low-cost process to produce copies of drawings, referred to as blueprints. The process uses two chemicals: ferric ammonium citrate and potassium ferrocyanide. (Don't lick your fingers!) In this image, note that the tracks for the passing siding at the right are not curved around a block signal mast as is evident in later images of the station when at-grade.  It would appear that, at the time of this photo, Deer Park was not a train order office.  That doesn't seem plausible as many way-stations were train order offices at that time, but I also cannot see the old-style train order signal with flip indicator out front of the depot.  Long Island Avenue is visible in the left background, passing in front of the old farmhouse.  Beyond the depot is the express house and beyond that, a section house.  Also note the four Dietz kerosene platform lamps which, at the time, were deemed sufficient illumination.  (Dave Keller archive)
 

Deer Park view W 1924 Archive: Dave Morrison
 

Emery Deer Park MP36-37 - pre-1937  5/1958
Archive: Dave Keller

Emery Deer Park MP36-37 pre-1937 5/1958
Archive: Dave Keller

Emery Deer Park MP36-37 - 1937+  5/1958
Archive: Dave Keller

Deer Park Ave - View S c.1925

Deer Park Ave - View N c.1925

Long Island Ave towns west distance wooden road sign:
New York
Wyandanch 1 M
Pinelawn 4 M
Farmingdale 6 M
 

Deer Park Ave - View E 9/22/1932 (Weber-Morrison)

Deer Park Ave - View E 9/22/1932 zoom
(Weber-Morrison)  Express shed at left. "DK" block signal with south side passing siding on right.

 


Wooden road sign at Deer Park Ave/Long Island Ave.
SE corner
 

Deer Park Commerce Bank print c.1937
Archive: Dave Morrison

Deer Park view E c.1937 Photo: Winfield S. Boerckel
Archive: Dave Morrison

Deer Park postcard - View E c.1937
Archive: Dave Morrison
 

This 1936 view is looking due east at the old Deer Park depot. Long Island Avenue is visible in the left background.  The embankment for the elevated tracks is at the far right and the shoo-fly temporary track and platform is at grade in front of the depot.  If you look in the distance you can see the shoo-fly track curving away from the original Main.  It appears that a temporary station was never put into service during this elimination as the original depot appears to have been kept in use.  Note the covered platforms have been cut nearly off and the depot appears to have been jacked up off its foundation to be moved further north to allow laying of the shoo-fly track.  After the project was completed in December of that year, Robert Emery states the depot was moved off-site to a private location on Half Hollow Road south of the tracks.  (George G. Ayling photo, Dave Keller archive)

 

 

Also photographed during the grade elimination project of 1936, this rear view of the old depot is looking SW towards the new embankment with the new girder trestle over Deer Park Avenue visible in the right background.  The depot again shows the nearly-complete removal of the covered platforms.  The base of the structure appears to still be resting on steel supports after having been jacked up and moved closer north to Long Island Avenue.  The supports have probably been left in place as the depot would shortly be hoisted up once more, and moved to its future private location. (George G. Ayling photo, Dave Keller archive)




 

 

 

Looking due west in front of the old Deer Park depot in 1936, we see the temporary shoo-fly track and station platform and the new embankment which will carry the new tracks over Deer Park Avenue.  The old grade crossing is just visible in the distance behind the man on the platform.  (George G. Ayling photo, Dave Keller archive)

 

 

 

 


G5s #22 is pulling a passenger train eastbound into the station at Deer Park, NY on this wintry day c. 1946. (Dave Keller archive)

 


Deer Park Station platform - View W 1946 zoom
(Weber-Morrison)
 

Deer Park Station - View W 1946
(Weber-Morrison)

Deer Park Station platform - View E 1946
(Weber-Morrison)

It's the summer of 1957 and the conductor is handing orders to the engineer of FM H16-44 #1506 as the westbound train sits at the "DK" block signals at the west end of the Deer Park station platform.

In the distance is an FM C-liner eastbound on the passing siding, awaiting the westbound to clear the block before it can come off the siding, enter the main and proceed on to Ronkonkoma. (Jules P. Krzenski photo, Dave Keller archive)


J. A. Gillin 2nd trick Agent-Operator Deer Park [DK] handing up orders to RF-59 late afternoon in Jan, 1978.  Photo: by G. P. Lind Archive:  Jim Gillin

MP-15ac  #152 with Rick Walters, first trick Agent-Operator Deer Park, giving the orders to train RF-61. 4/1978 Info/Photo: Jim Gillin
 


LIRR map Deer Park 1966


Ticket Deer Park - Pine Aire
8/24/1961 Archive: Brad Phillips

 


Deer Park Station  7/1973 Photo/Archive: Brad Phillips


Half fare ticket Deer Park - Wyandanch
8/24/1961 Archive: Brad Phillips


Deer Park Station - View SW 12/1986 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

This photo shows the embankment upon which the new station was constructed in 1936 as well as the curved access roadway which made a "U" and looked similar on the west side of the station.  Long Island Avenue is in the foreground and the position light block signals are visible in the distant far right .  I believe the retaining wall was added in later years when this area was torn up to add much-needed parking behind the depot (probably the main reason for relocating the station further east in 1987). Info: Dave Keller
 

This is the 2-lever, US&S Model 6 electrical locked semaphore indicator table machine used to operate the "DK" block signals from the elevated station's block office at Deer Park, NY.  These indicators were placed in service inside the new depot on January 26, 1937 and were taken out of service on September 14, 1987 when this location was shut down due to the Ronkonkoma electrification project and the depot relocated further east near the former Pineaire/Pine Aire station site. (Richard Makse photo, Dave Keller archive)

 

 

Ticket Weekly -Brooklyn (Flatbush Ave.) and Deer Park
1966 Archive: Dave Keller

Ticket Weekly -Brooklyn (Flatbush Ave.) and Deer Park
1970 Archive: Dave Keller

Ticket Monthly -City Zone and Deer Park
2007 Archive: Dave Keller