OAKDALE

 


Oakdale Station c.1900 postcard Archive: Dave Morrison Note: Carriage stables at left.

CLUB HOUSE: SOUTH SIDE R.R. DEPOT. WEST OF OAKDALE. BUILT: 1869 TO SERVICE SOUTH SIDE SPORTSMENíS ASSN. (LOCATED BETWEEN TODAYíS PRESENT M.P.45 AND M.P.46 AT BAYARD CUTTING ARBORETUM), CLOSED: 7/17/1884. (Date as per Geo. L. Weeks, Jr. in his book: Isle of Shells) 
ssrrclub.jpg (57035 bytes)
South Side Rail Road Club House c.1878 View East
Photo: George Brainard Archive: East Islip Historical Society
SSRR's Club House station, which was located just east of the Montauk Highway overpass west of Oakdale, across from the Connetquot Park which was the former location of the South Side Sportsmen's Club (hence "Club House" station).

The view is looking east at SSRR MP45 (milepost). The Bayard Cutting Arboretum today would be at the right. When the LIRR took over the SSRR, they had to reset the mileposts, hence the slight variation in MP locations.
OAKDALE: SOUTH SIDE R. R. DEPOT BUILT: 1868. RAZED: 1890 
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 12/1890 FUNDED BY THE VANDERBILTS DUE TO THE PROXIMITY OF THEIR ESTATE AND THEIR NEED FOR A REPLACEMENT OF THE WOODEN EYE-SORE S.S.R.R. DEPOT ON SITE. ALL-BRICK STRUCTURE WITH HARDWOOD PANELING INSIDE. 
DEPOT HAD PORTE COCHERE AT REAR. AGENCY CLOSED: ? 

Station - Oakdale (SSRR) - 1878 (Brainard-Keller).jpg (68663 bytes)  South Side Rail Road (SSRR) - Oakdale Station- 1878 (Brainard-Keller)

Emery_Oakdale-1902.jpg (42122 bytes)
Oakdale Emery Map 1902 Archive: Dave Keller

Emery_Oakdale-1914.jpg (71099 bytes)
Oakdale Emery Map 1914 Archive: Dave Keller

Emery_Oakdale_MP45-46_5-58.jpg (124433 bytes)
Oakdale Emery Map MP45-46 5/1958
Archive: Dave Keller

Emery_Oakdale_MP46-47_5-58.jpg (144814 bytes)
Oakdale Emery Map MP46-47 5/1958
Archive: Dave Keller
Lirr-Oakdale1966.jpg (42724 bytes)
LIRR map Oakdale 1966
Oakdale 1904.jpg (102204 bytes)
Oakdale Station view E 1904 
Archive: Dave Morrison
Oakdale 1910 postcard.jpg (78638 bytes)
Oakdale Station view E c.1910 postcard 
Archive: Dave Morrison

Westbound in this image is an American (4-4-0) class D56 locomotive.  These early 8-wheeled passenger locomotives were in abundance on the LIRR and were the mainstay of passenger service along with various camelback locomotives. 

 Both style locomotives were replaced by the advent of the new Pennsy-built class G5s (4-6-0) locomotives which were larger, faster and stronger and which began to appear in LIRR service starting in the early 1920s.  When all the G5s locomotives were in use on the LIRR, the D56 class (and various camelbacks) were retired.  Note the Dietz kerosene platform lamps and wooden station platform.  By 1918, electric platform lights had replaced these oil lamps.  

You may also just be able to make out the station sign in front of the ticket bay.  It's the early 1900s-style with the station name in the center and each terminus destination on either side of the name.  In this case it would read "LI City ___ miles" on the right side of the sign and "Montauk ___ miles" on the left side of the sign.  Info: Dave Keller

Oakdale 5-13-1918 valuation.jpg (87224 bytes)
Oakdale Station  LIRR valuation photo View W 5/13/18 Archive: Dave Morrison
Oakdale 1925.jpg (113022 bytes)
Oakdale Station  1925 Archive: Dave Morrison
RS3-1553-Patch-Baby Scoot-Connetquot_River_westbound_viewS_1968.jpg (87663 bytes)
RS3 #1553 Patchogue - Babylon Scoot crossing Connetquot River westbound  view S 1968
J. P. Krzenski photo, Dave Keller archive
lirr-oakdale-station-9-2-2013_DerekStadler.jpg (263930 bytes)
Oakdale Station waiting room
9/02/2013 Photo: Derek Stadler
Oakdale waiting room October 2016.jpg (112059 bytes)
Oakdale Station interior
9/02/2013 Photo: Dave Morrison
Oakdale Dowling Sign_2016-LIRR.jpg (112817 bytes)
Oakdale Station LIRR Dowling College Sign 2016

OakdaleStationMikeMcDermet.jpg (150480 bytes)
Oakdale Station 11/26/2008 
Photo: Mike McDermet

Oakdale-station_entrance_10-2016.jpg (167571 bytes)
Oakdale Station entrance 10/2016
Photo: Dave Morrison
Oakdale-station_viewNW_10-2016.jpg (180054 bytes)
Oakdale Station view NW 10/2016
Photo: Dave Morrison
OAKDALE FREIGHT HOUSE
Oakdale-FreightHouse-PRR 732viewE-1941.jpg (192629 bytes)
Oakdale Freight House PRR #732 view E 1941 
Archive: Dave Keller
Sta-Frt-Oakdale-1971.jpg (66152 bytes)
Oakdale freight house minus platform view E 1971 
Archive: Dave Keller
oakdalefreighthouse_06-28-07MikeMcDermet.jpg (108850 bytes)
Oakdale Freight House 06/28/07 Photo: Mike McDermet
Oakdale freight house_viewW_10-2016.jpg (245206 bytes)
Oakdale freight house view W 10/2016
Photo: Dave Morrison
Oakdale freight house_viewE_10-2016.jpg (271893 bytes)
Oakdale freight house view E 10/2016
Photo: Dave Morrison
OAKDALE STATION - FIRST LIRR STATION WEDDING CEREMONY 1995
Courtesy: Dave Morrison

On December 10, 1995, the Oakdale Station was the site of the first wedding ceremony held in an LIRR station, when Charlotte Hebert and Edward Wintraecken exchanged vows in front of the ticket office's fireplace. The groom, a train enthusiast, sells and custom paints HO cars and engines. Branch Line Manager Dave Morrison presented the couple with a commemorative program of their wedding that included a drawing and history of the station.

 

Wedding Along the Track Feb 1995.jpg (62761 bytes) Wedding 10 Dec 1994 fireplace pose.jpg (78101 bytes)

 

Wedding 10 Dec 1994 outdoor pose.jpg (62901 bytes)