(ATLANTIC AVENUE RAILROAD)
From Bob Emery’s Notes
Built – 1834: Atlantic Avenue Ferry to Rockaway road, Jamaica by the Brooklyn & Jamaica RR
Leased by LIRR in 1836
Tunnel built – Columbia St. to Boerum St.: 1844
Tunnel closed: 1861
No service to ferry: 1855-1877 (i.e. through service)
Horse cars operated East New York to Ferry from 1855 – 1861. Cut back to Flatbush Avenue to East New York: 1861-1877
LIRR through service to Brooklyn back in 1877.
Flatbush Avenue to Woodhaven Avenue: 1876-77
Woodhaven Avenue to Jamaica: 1882
“Atlantic Avenue Improvement”
In tunnel, Flatbush to Nostrand Avenues: 1905
Elevated, Nostrand to Ralph Avenues: 1903
In tunnel, Ralph Avenue to East New York: 1904
Elevated, East New York to Shepherd Avenue: 1903-1942
Tunnel, to Morris Park: 1942
Line to Greenport originally a link to Brooklyn-Boston thru rail service.
Brooklyn & Jamaica R.R. taken over by Brooklyn, Central and Jamaica in 1860.
Brooklyn & Jamaica Railway took over from Brooklyn, Central and Jamaica in 1866.
Atlantic Avenue R.R. leased to LIRR after 1877.
3rd & 4th track added: 1905 – Chestnut St. to Woodhaven Jct.
Main tracks electrified: Flatbush Avenue to Jamaica: 8/1905
All steam passenger service Flatbush Avenue to Jamaica discontinued: 12/1905
Connection to BRT put in at Chestnut Street: 1898. Used until 1917, torn down: 19______
Flatbush Avenue Merchandise Terminal built: 1905, closed: 1937. torn down west of 5th avenue 1940 or 1941
Flatbush Avenue Terminal built 1904-1906, opened 1906.
LIRR used temporary terminal in Brooklyn: 1904-05
Tunnel built Flatbush Avenue to Bedford Avenue: 1904-1905, opened 7/26/1905
BRT connection to LIRR at Flatbush Avenue in service 1899-1904 only.
Carlton Avenue Yard depressed: 1907
Vanderbilt Avenue Yard built and depressed: 1907-08
Viaduct opened Bedford to Howard Avenues: 11/1903
Tunnel opened Howard Avenue to Eastern Parkway: 10/1904
Viaduct opened East New York to Shepherd Avenues: 7/1903
All freight sidings on Atlantic Avenue R.R. except Atkins Avenue Yard, the lower level west of Carleton Ave, “VD” yard, Sheffield and Brandenburg sidings in Jamaica, lacked 3rd rail and were worked by 0-6-0 type steam locomotives until arrival of the diesel-electric locos in 1925-26, when they were used from then on. DD1 type electric locos were used only on “Beef” road freight between Woodhaven to “VD” yard, until 1951. All freight, both at Flatbush Avenue and along the line was handled by diesels after 1951.
From Bill Slade:
Before depression of Atlantic Avenue tracks in 1905, the connection from BUERR (Bklyn Union Electric RR) on Flatbush Avenue came to surface several hundred feet west of Carlton Ave. At that point, two Carlton Ave. yard tracks (one on each side of “EL connection” tracks) turned into the first two tracks and these two tracks entered Atlantic Avenue, the PS eastbound and westbound (2 tracks) being a little east of Carlton Ave. crossing.
Carlton Ave. yard was on the surface, starting at the east side of 6th Ave. The 1902 plan shows signal pipes but no sign of a tower. In 1905, “CT” tower was established similar to “VD,” being in the tunnel wall.
Between 1906 and 1908 Carlton Ave. yard was depressed and Vanderbilt Ave. yard was added, also depressed and “VD” tower was put in, in place of “CT” tower and Carlton Ave.’s track connection at Atlantic Ave. was eliminated. “CT” tower must have existed from 1905 to 1908. It was, no doubt, there before 1905, but with a number instead of call letters and on the surface. (Numbers changed to call letters by general orders in 1907: DK)
After the BUERR connection was eliminated in 1904, the merch-andise terminal was installed. However, there had been a plan to still have connection to the BUERR, which fell through. (This may have been due to the fact that the LIRR had only steel motor cars, which may not have been suitable for the 5th Ave. EL.)
BAY RIDGE BRANCH
Built, Fresh Pond to Cooper Avenue Junction as a standard gauge, double tracked line by the L. I. City & Manhattan Beach R. R. Co.: 1883
Built, Cooper Ave. Jct. to New Lots as a narrow gauge, single tracked line by the N.Y. & Manhattan Beach Railway Co.: 1877.
Built, New Lots to Bath Jct. as a narrow gauge, double tracked line by the N. Y. & Manhattan Beach Railway Co.
Built, Bath Jct. to Bay Ridge as a narrow gauge, single tracked line by the N. Y., Bay Ridge & Jamaica R. R. Co.: 1875
Double tracked: Cooper Ave. Jct. to New Lots: 1878 (narrow gauge)
Double tracked: Bay Ridge to Bath Jct.: 1878 (narrow gauge)
Standard gauge, double track laid: Cooper Ave. Jct. to Bay Ridge: 1883.
N. Y. & Manhattan Beach R. R. became N.Y., Bklyn. & Manhattan Beach R. R. in 1885 and leased to the LIRR.
Last passenger train, Bay Ridge to Ocean Ave: 19____
Last passenger train, L. I. City to Ocean Ave.: 1924
Line from Manhattan Beach to Oriental Hotel abandoned: 19____
“Bay Ridge Improvement”: 1905-1918
Bay Ridge electrification: 1926-1927
New York, New Haven and Hartford R.R. steam operation, “Fremont” to Bay Ridge: 1/17/1918 until 9/1930.
N.Y., N.H. & H.R.R. electric operation, “Fremont” to Bay Ridge: 1927 until 12/31/58.
Electric current turned off for last time over entire line: 12/31/58
N.Y., N.H. & H.R.R. class J2 (2-8-2) #3100-3107 and Central New England #s 180-182 steam locomotives used to Bay Ridge: 1917-1927.
Color light signals installed: 9/1927.
4-track main line in operation: “FN” – “NO” – “MJ” effective: 9/1927
2-track electric main line in operation: “MJ” – “NU”- Bay Ridge: 9/1927
Track data after improvement:
Track #s 1, 3 original tracks W. Remsen Ave. to 700’ east of New
Track #3 laid 1918: “Fremont” to “KN” cabin
Track #s 2, 4 original tracks Troy Ave. to W. Remsen Ave.
Track #s 2, 4 new 1921: “NO” cabin to Rockaway Ave.
Track #s 1, 3 new 1926: East New York Ave. to E. New Lots Ave.
Track #s 2, 4 new 1926: Rockaway Ave. to W. Remsen Ave.
Track #3 new c. 1926: Remsen Ave. to 200’ west of Bklyn. Ave.
Track #1 new: 1926: Remsen Ave. to Troy Ave.
Present #2 original eastbound track “MJ” to Troy Ave.
Present #1 original westbound track: Bklyn. Ave. to Troy Ave.
Present #3 original westbound track: 200’ w. of Bklyn. Ave. to “MJ”
Track #4 new c. 1918: MP 11 to “MJ”
Track #1 new c. 1918: 200’ w. of Bklyn. Ave. to “MH”
Track #1 new 4/1920: “Fremont” to Cooper St.
Track #1 new 1926: Cooper St. to “KN” cabin
Effective 9/30/27 to 1/21/33: Automatic signal system in effect, “FN” to “NO.”
Effective: 1/21/33 to present (c. 1958 when notes written): Manual block system in effect: “FN” to “NO.”
Effective 9/30/27 to present (c. 1958 when notes written): Manual block system in effect “NO” to “NU.”
Effective 9/1939: #4 track, Atlantic Branch Connection to 200’ east of Seneca Ave. out of service.
Effective 9/1939: #4 track, Atlantic Branch Connection to “MJ” operated as a siding only.
Effective 1949: Track #4 retired 200 feet east of Seneca Avenue to E. 34th St. (MP9) and ripped up.
Built by the South Side Railroad Company: 1867-1868
Horses pulled trains from Bushwick depot to East River Ferry Terminal: 1868
Steam dummy engines pulled trains from Bushwick depot to East River Ferry Terminal: 1869-1873
Double tracked: 1868
Reduced to single track: 1876
Double tracked again: 1892
Again reduced to single track: ______
Battery car operated from Bushwick Jct. (Fresh Pond) to Bushwick: 1913 Timetable effective 10/1923 is the last to show this passenger service.
Last day of passenger service: Fresh Pond to Bushwick: 5/13/24
CENTRAL BRANCH/CENTRAL EXTENSION
Built by the Central Railroad Co. of L. I. and opened between Flushing and Garden City: 1872
Built, Garden City to Bethpage and Hempstead (CRR of LI): 1873
Built, Bethpage Jct. to Fire Island dock by CRR of LI: 1873
Abandoned, Fire Island dock to Belmont Jct: 1874
CRR of LI leased to Flushing & North Side R. R.: 1873
Flushing & North Side leased to the LIRR: 1876
Connection built at Floral Park (LIRR to CRR of LI): 1877.
Last year of through service from Floral Park to Babylon via “HC”: 1892
Last passenger through service, Salisbury Plains to Bethpage Jct.: 1892
Electrification, Floral Park to “HC” tower (main tracks): 5/1908
#2 track (north one) from pre-1909, electrified, “HC” to East of Mitchell Field: 1919
Electrification, “HC” tower to Salisbury Plains (main tracks): 6/23/17
Double track opened: Floral Park to Garden City: 11/27/18
Track from “B” tower to Babylon used as a freight-only line until 1925 rebuilding.
Rebuilt, “B” tower to Babylon by the LIRR and placed in service: 5/21/25 (new rails and ties, re-ballasted ROW, “wig-wag” signals and block signals installed.)
Freight tracks electrified, “FK” to Meadowbrook Hospital: 1928-29
Mitchell Field Service:
1916-1928: “Trolley Cars” #997, 998, 999 (ex-Ocean Electric Railway
cars: one car operated at a time, using 3rd rail.)
1928-1942: One MP41 MU car
1942-1949: Two MP41 MU cars
1949-1953: Two MP54 MU cars
Last timetable showing service beyond Mitchell Field effective: 6/1942
Mitchell Field Shuttle:
First trip: Garden City to Clinton Road: 1915
First trip: Garden City to Camp Mills: 6/1917
First trip: Garden City to Salisbury Plains: after WWI
Last trip: Garden City to Salisbury: 10/30/27
First trip: Country Life Press to Salisbury: 10/31/27
Last trip: Country Life Press to Mitchell Field: 5/15/53
Bethpage Jct. to 200’ west thereof (track connecting to Central branch) removed: 1925
100’ of track on site of Bethpage Parkway bridge removed: 1936
200’ west of Bethpage Jct. to Bethpage Parkway bridge removed: 1938-39
Bethpage Parkway bridge to Old Westbury Road removed: 1938-39
Old Westbury Road to Merrick Avenue removed: 1952
West of Salisbury Plains to Old Jerusalem Road removed: 1952
Bethpage Jct. to Old Jerusalem Road removed: _________
MP21 to Salisbury Plains removed: 1956
Merrick Ave. to West of Meadowbrook Parkway (322+02) removed: 1956
Built by the Glendale & East River R.R. Co. from the East River to Jefferson Street as a narrow gauge line: 1877
Crossed the South Side R.R.’s Bushwick line at “South Side Crossing,” located 60’ south of Varick Avenue.
N. Y. & Manhattan Beach R.R. bought the G&ER RR: 1876, and continued the narrow gauge line from Jefferson St. to Cooper Ave. Jct.
Double tracks from the East River to Cooper Ave. Jct.: 1879-1883 (narrow gauge) by the NY&MB RR.
1st passenger train from the East River to Cooper Ave. Jct. via narrow gauge NY&MB RR: 1879
Last passenger train from the East River to Cooper Ave. Jct. via narrow gauge NY&MB RR: 1883
Shuttle service from the East River to South Side Crossing: 1883 to 5/8/1886 only.
Freight service from the East River to South Side Crossing: 1883 to c. 1890
Connection made to the Bushwick branch at South Side Crossing: 1885
South Side Crossing to Cooper Ave., standard gauged (single track only): 1883 or 1885 (?)
South Side Crossing to the East River, (double track) abandoned: c. 1890
NY&MB RR became the NY, Bklyn & Manhattan Beach R.R. in 1885 and leased to the LIRR.
Passenger stations on the G&ERR RR until 1885:
East River Ferry Terminal (Greenpoint). Station abandoned: 5/1886
5th Street (now Driggs Ave.)
South Side Crossing
Ridgewood (at Myrtle & Gates Avenues). Built: 1885
FAR ROCKAWAY BRANCH
Line “A” built by the Far Rockaway Branch Railroad Co. from Valley Stream to Far Rockaway: 1868 and placed in service: 1869
Line “B” built by the Rockaway Railway Co. from Far Rockaway to Neptune House, Rockaway Park: 1871 and placed in service: 1872
Line “A” leased to South Side R. R. in 1868, with operations begun in 1869 until 1876.
Line “B” leased to South Side R. R. in 1872 with operations begun the same year until 1876.
Line “A”: original terminal of this line at _____________
Line “B” built west from Far Rockaway to N.Y. & Rockaway Beach Jct. (on present LIRR line in 1958 when notes were written) and then line curved to the south and followed the ocean shore to Rockaway Park.
LIRR leased the SSRR Co.: 1876-1879, when the Brooklyn & Montauk R. R. was formed to take over all former SSRR lines.
The Brooklyn & Montauk R.R. was leased to the LIRR: 1879-1889, when it was merged with the LIRR.
The LIRR abandoned the original SSRR line from just east of Cedarhurst station to just west of Carlton Ave., Far Rockaway: 1876
Hammels to NY&RB Jct. built: 1887
Line “B” from NY&RB Jct. and near the ocean to Rockaway Park abandoned: 1887.
Double track laid from Hammel to NY&RB Jct. and Lawrence: 1899
Third track laid from Hammel to NY&RB Jct. and Far Rockaway: 1904
Double track laid from Valley Stream to Lawrence: 1903
Third track laid from Cedarhurst to Far Rockaway: 1907 or 1910 (?)
Line electrified, Hammels to Valley Stream: 12/1905
Freight sidings electrified: 1928-30
Ocean Electric Railway operated its trolleys over the LIRR from Far Rockaway to Hammel: 1899 – 1926.
Last passenger train from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park: 10/2/55
Built from Mineola to today’s Country Life Press station, Garden City, by the LIRR: 1839
Built from Meadow Street to Hempstead by the Central Railroad of LI: 1872
Track from today’s Country Life Press station, Garden City, south via Main Street to Hempstead built: 1839, abandoned: 1876.
Track from Meadow Street north to the CRR of LI built: 1872, abandoned: 1876.
Connecting track from today’s Country Life Press station, Garden City, to Meadow Street installed: 1876.
Main track electrified, Mineola to “HC” tower: 10/1926
Freight tracks electrified, Mineola to “HC” tower: 1928-30
LONG BEACH BRANCH
Built by the New York & Long Beach R. R. Co. from Lynbrook to Long Beach: 1880
The Long Beach Marine Railway Co. extended the line 5 miles eastward from Long Beach to Point Lookout: 1881.
The LIRR bought this line: 1886 and operated passenger trains to Point Lookout until 1890.
Long Beach to Point Lookout abandoned: 1895
LIRR leased and operated the NY&LB RR: 1880-1904 at which time the NY&LB RR merged with the LIRR.
Double track laid from Valley Stream to Lynbrook: late 1910
Double track in service from East Rockaway to Wreck Lead (“WL”): 1/15/27
Electrification from Valley Stream to Long Beach on main tracks: 9/1910
Electrification from Valley Stream to Long Beach on freight sidings: 1928-30
Color light signals installed: 1/1927
Built, Long Island City to Jamaica by the NY & Jamaica R.R. (an LIRR subsidiary): 1860
This same section rebuilt: 1884
Built, Jamaica to Hicksville (LIRR): 1834-37
Built, Hicksville to Farmingdale: 1841
Built, Farmingdale to 1 mile west of Central Islip: 1842
Built 1 mile west of Central Islip to Yaphank: 1843
Built, Yaphank to Greenport: 1844
Long Island City to Fisk Ave., Winfield: 1893
Fisk Ave., Winfield, to Jamaica: 1903
Old Jamaica station to Rockaway Jct.: 1880
Rockaway Jct. to Floral Park: 1882
Floral Park to Mineola: 1888
Mineola to Hicksville: 1890-91
Hicksville to “PW”: 1917 – 1919
More Than 2 Tracks:
3rd track, “Hollis” tower to Bellaire: 1907
3rd track, Bellaire to West Floral Park: 1904
3rd and 4th tracks, Rockaway Jct. to Floral Park: 1924
Kew Gardens (Maple Grove) cutoff: 1909-1910
4 tracks laid: Winfield to Jamaica: 1908-09
In service: 1910
4 tracks in service: Harold Avenue to Winfield: 10/17/15
L. I. City to Jamaica, in service: 9/8/10
Jamaica to Queens Village and Belmont Park: 10/1905
Queens Village to Floral Park, in service: 5/26/08
Floral Park to Mineola: 10/1926
Freight sidings: 1928-30
All block limit signals once had semaphores, “WK” to “GY”
“New” block limit signals installed 1925-30 and semaphores removed.
Automatic signals installed:
Mineola to Hicksville: 1912
“B” to “PW: 7/1930
“HN” to “B”: 1945
Square end manual block signals changed to round end: 1932-33
Main line cut 328’ at Kew Gardens: 1909
Main line cut 22’ at Van Wyck Avenue: 1912
Main Line cut 528’ at Woodside: 1915
Main Line cut 513’ at Winfield: 1915
Total shortening: 1,391’
“OFFICE OF SUPERVISOR OF TRANSPORTATION, APRIL 27, 1907
General Order No.69
Effective 12:01 am, April 29, 1907, the new third track between Holban Yard and Queens will be placed in service, and with the third track between Queens and West Floral Park, will be used as a running track between Holban Yard and west Floral Park by all trains arriving and departing at Holban Yard.
Trains on this track will be handled as follows:
Between 12 o’clock midnight and 12 o’clock noon, eastward trains are superior to westward trains.
Between 12 o’clock noon and 12 o’clock midnight, westward trains are superior to eastward trains.”
Operated as a freight running track West Floral Park to Floral Park: 6/3/12 (?)
Last day of power change at “H” (Harold Avenue) Tower: 10/18/1927
Train identification signals (front end markers) discontinued: 1932
Last day for Railway Express Agency service on this branch: 2/3/1961
MANHATTAN BEACH BRANCH
Built by New York & Manhattan Beach R. R. Co. as a narrow gauge, single track line in 1877, from Ocean Avenue to the Oriental Hotel.
Double tracked: 1878, as a narrow gauge line.
1st passenger train from Greenpoint to the Oriental Hotel: 1878
1st passenger train from Bay Ridge to the Oriental Hotel: 1878
Standard gauged and double tracked: 1883
N.Y. & M.B.R.R. became New York, Brooklyn and Manhattan Beach R.R. in 1885, and leased to the LIRR.
Last passenger train from Bay Ridge to Manhattan Beach: 5/13/24
Last passenger train from Greenpoint to Manhattan Beach: 1882
1st passenger train from Long Island City to Manhattan Beach: 1883
Last passenger train from Long Island City to Manhattan Beach shown in timetable effective October, 1923 and lasting until May, 1924.
No signals on entire line east of “MJ” after grade crossing elimination. Trains were operated only one at a time, “MJ” to Manhattan Beach via either No 1 or No 2 tracks.
Grade crossing eliminations and relocation of main tracks started in1908 and lasted all during 1909, finishing in March, 1910.
“Bay Ridge Improvement” began on 5/19/05 at Parkville Yard:
Depressing of Main Line: 7th Ave. to Avenue G: 4 ˝ miles.
Elevating of Main Line: Avenue G to New Lots Road: 2 ˝ miles.
Depressing of Main Line: Liberty Avenue to New Lots Road: 1 mile.
Tunnel of Main Line north portal to south portal: 1 mile.
Elevating Main Line North portal to “FN” cabin: 1 ˝ miles.
Widening of cut, 7th Avenue to floats: 1 ˝ miles.
Work completed: 3/1/1918 at Bay Ridge Yard.
Elimination of BRT EL trains crossing LIRR at grade:
Gravesend Avenue eliminated: 9/19/06
New Utrecht Avenue eliminated: 7/16/07
Bath and Brighton Beach R.R. (at “MJ”) eliminated: 1/17/08
Marine Railway operated storage battery cars #s 1-5, built by Beach Car Co., over the LIRR from Sheepshead Bay Station to Oriental Blvd: 8/7/1913 to 4/1/21
LIRR was abandoned east of Oriental Blvd. c. 1908.
Built, Long Island City to Laurel Hill by the Flushing R. R. Co.: 1854
Acquired by the New York & Flushing R. R.: 1859 and sold to the LIRR:
Built, Laurel Hill to Bushwick Jct. by Hunters Point & South Side R. R. Co. (a SSRR Co. subsidiary): 1872. Later acquired by the LIRR.
Built, Bushwick Jct. (Fresh Pond) to Jamaica by the South Side R. R. Co.: 1868 (SSRR Co. became Southern Railroad Co. of LI: 1874. Southern Railroad Co. of LI leased to the LIRR: 1876.)
Southern R.R. Co of LI became the Brooklyn & Montauk R. R.: 1879 and leased to the LIRR the same year.
The Brooklyn & Montauk R. R. merged with the LIRR: 1899
Built, Jamaica to Babylon by the SSRR Co.: 1866-67
Built, Babylon to Patchogue by the SSRR Co.: 1868
Built, Patchogue to Eastport by the Brooklyn & Montauk R.R. (LIRR subsidiary): 1881
Built, Eastport to Bridgehampton by the LIRR: 1870
Built, Bridgehampton to Montauk by the Montauk Extension R. R. Co (LIRR subsidiary): 1895
L. I. City to Bushwick Jct.: 1880-81
Bushwick Jct. to Jamaica: 1871
Jamaica to “PT” tower, Lynbrook via “Old Southern Road”: 1871-72
“PT” tower, Lynbrook to Massapequa: 6/1891
Massapequa to Babylon (West of Argyle Creek bridge): 1892
Babylon to Oakdale: 5/16/1906
Oakdale to Sayville: 11/27/1917
Springfield Jct. to Valley Stream: 1905
Springfield Jct. to Valley Stream: 1910
Main Tracks Electrified:
89th Ave., Richmond Hill to Union Hall Street: 1910 (?)
Rockaway Jct. to Babylon via “Springfield branch,” in service: 5/1925
East yard, Fresh Pond to Glendale Jct.: 1928-30
Freight Sidings Electrified:
Rockaway Jct. to Babylon via “Springfield branch.”: 1928-30
Last day for Railway Express Agency service on this branch: 2/3/1960 (?)
NORTH SHORE FREIGHT BRANCH
Yard “A” enlarged: c. 1927
Third rail installed on freight branch and Montauk cutoff: 1928
Float bridges #3 and #4 retired: c. 1930
OLD SOUTHERN ROAD
2nd main track taken out: Jamaica to Springfield Junction: c. 1881
Springfield sheds new: early 1905
Single track main electrified, Jamaica to Springfield Junction for testing MP41 cars and to train enginemen in their operations.
Work began: 6/1904
In effect: 6/1905
First regular operation, Jamaica to Springfield Junction, effective: 10/16/1905
2nd main track re-laid and opened, Jamaica to Springfield Junction: 1905-1906
THE LONG ISLAND RAILROAD COMPANY
Office of Supervisor Transportation: May 15, 1906
General Order No. 24
Effective 12:01 P.M. Thursday, May 17, the new third track between the west end of the wye on the Far Rockaway Branch at Valley Stream and the end of double track on the Old Southern Road, near Springfield Junction, will be placed in service as a single track. A day and night telegraph office, to be known as “VN Cabin,” will be located at the west end of the wye on the Far Rockaway Branch at Valley Stream and another, to be known as “SM Cabin,”
at the end of double track on the Old Southern Road. A telegraph block system will be used between these stations in connection with Springfield Junction tower. The crossovers connecting the new third track with the Eastbound main line, Montauk Division, will be spiked or taken out, excepting at Spring-field Junction. Trains doing work at all sidings in connection with the new third track, will enter it either at Springfield Junction or at Valley Stream.
OYSTER BAY BRANCH
Built, Mineola to Locust Valley, by the LIRR: 1865
Built, Locust Valley to Oyster Bay, by the Oyster Bay Extension R.R. (LIRR subsidiary): 1889
Mineola to Roslyn: 1905
Roslyn to Glen Cove: 1908
Glen Cove to Locust Valley: 1912
Electrified, Mineola to East Williston (main tracks): 6/1934
Electrified, Mineola to East Williston (freight sidings): 1928-30
Automatic Signals Installed:
Mineola to Roslyn: c. 1906
Roslyn to Glen Cove: 1908
Glen Cove to Locust Valley: 1912
Through New England service: Brooklyn to Boston via LIRR car ferry between Oyster bay, NY and Wilson’s Point, Connecticut operated: 9/21/1891 – to 6/18/1892 (abandoned due to roughness of Long Island Sound.)
Last year for Railway Express Agency on this branch: 1960
PORT WASHINGTON BRANCH
(NORTH SIDE BRANCH)
Built, Winfield to Flushing, Main Street by the Flushing Railroad Co.: 1854.
Acquired by the N. Y. & Flushing R. R.: 1859 and sold to the LIRR: _______
Built, L. I. City (later day float bridge site) to 1,000’ west of Woodside (parallel to the LIRR) by the Flushing & Woodside R. R.: 1864.
Built, Flushing to Great Neck by the North Shore R.R. (Flushing & North side subsidiary): 1866
The Flushing & Woodside R.R. took over the Flushing & North Side R.R.:
The Flushing Railroad Co. was sold to the Flushing & North Side R. R. by the LIRR: 1869.
Built, 1,000’ west of Woodside to Winfield (parallel to the LIRR) by the Flushing & North Side R. R.: 1871-72
All above mentioned railroads leased to the LIRR after 1876.
Last regular train operated from Great Neck Jct. to Floral Park: 4/30/1879
Abandoned between Flushing and Great Neck: 1881-82. Reopened: 1882.
All above mentioned railroads became L. I. City & Flushing R. R. (LIRR subsidiary): 1882 and merged with the LIRR: 1889
Built, Great Neck to Port Washington by the Great Neck & Port Washington R.R. (LIRR subsidiary): 1897-98
L. I. City to Woodside Jct.: 1881
Woodside Jct. to Winfield tower: 1881
Winfield tower to Whitestone Jct.: 1882
Whitestone Jct. to Flushing, Main St.: 1906
Flushing, Main St. to Great Neck: 1912-13
L. I. City to Winfield Jct.: 6/23/1910
Winfield Jct. to Whitestone Jct. and Whitestone Landing: 10/22/1912
Whitestone Jct. to Port Washington: 10/21/1913
Freight sidings electrified: 1927-28
No train order signals, Flushing, Main Street to Great Neck in single track days. Trains operated by timetable and watch only, with “meets” staged at Broadway, Bayside, Little Neck and Great Neck. Switch at E.D.T. at Flushing, Main Street was supposed to be operated by train crews, but was often thrown by the crossing watchman: 1906-1912 only.
Manual block on both #1 and #2 tracks, “JC” to “G”: 1913-1926
Square end manual block signals changed to round ends: 1933-34
Automatic block, “WJ” to “JC”: 1908 to time of these notes (1960)
Automatic block on both #1 and #2 tracks, “JC” to “G”: 1926 to time of these
Square end automatic signals changed to pointed ends: 1933-34
Last year for Railway Express Agency using LIRR cars for express shipments:
Last year of U.S. Mail using RPO cars on Port Washington branch: c. 1933-34
(Elmhurst and Corona had mail cranes.)
Last year of bulk mail carried on Port Washington branch: c. 1952
Last year of locked pouches carried on Port Washington branch: c. 1956
ROCKAWAY BEACH BRANCH
Glendale cutoff built as a double track, electrified line from White Pot (now Rego Park) to Glendale Junction: 1910
New York, Woodhaven and Rockaway R.R. built a double track, steam road from Glendale Jct. to Rockaway Park: 1880
A connection to the Atlantic branch at Woodhaven Jct. was built: 1881
A single track connection was built from Hammel to the New York & Rockaway Beach Jct. on the Brooklyn & Montauk R.R. by the New York, Woodhaven and Rockaway R.R.: 1887
The New York, Woodhaven and Rockaway R.R. reorganized as the New York and Rockaway Beach Railway Co.: 1887. The line was leased by the LIRR in the same year. The LIRR operated its trains to Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park over the NY&RB until 1901 when the NY&RB was merged with the LIRR.
Double Track: Hammel to NY&RB Jct. by the LIRR: 1899.
Third track added: 1904
Third and fourth tracks: Ozone Park to Hamilton Beach: 1903
BRT operated its trains over the route from Woodhaven Jct. to Rockaway Park: 1898-1917.
Woodhaven Jct. to Rockaway Park: 7/1905
Hammel to NY&RB Jct.: 12/1905
Glendale Jct. to Woodhaven Jct.: 6/1910
Freight sidings: 1928-30
Built in 1870 by the New York & Rockaway R.R. from Rockaway Junction (Hillside) to Springfield Junction.
Operation started in 1872 and the company was leased to the L.I.R.R.
Became property of the Jamaica & south Shore R.R. Company in 1903 and was merged with the L.I.R.R. in 1912.
Double tracked: 1880
Springfield station built: 1881
St. Albans station built: 1898
Main tracks electrified: 5/1925
Freight tracks electrified: 1928-1930
WADING RIVER BRANCH
(PORT JEFFERSON BRANCH)
Built, Hicksville to Syosset, by Hicksville & Cold Spring Branch R.R.: 1854, which was then leased to LIRR and eventually acquired by the LIRR: 1863.
Built, Syosset to Northport, by the LIRR: 1868 (became the end of the “Old Northport” spur.)
Built, Northport Junction to Port Jefferson, by the Smithtown & Port Jefferson R. R. Co. (LIRR subsidiary): 1870.
Built, Port Jefferson to Wading River by the LIRR Co. North Shore Branch (LIRR subsidiary): 1895.
First train from Smithtown to Port Jefferson: 11/12/1873
Hicksville to “S” cabin, Syosset: 1911-12
Syosset to “S” cabin (MP 31): 1914 (“S” cabin was moved from
Syosset to MP 31: 1914)
All block limit signals once had semaphores with the exception of “MI” and “WG.”
Unattended block signals added at “SJ,” “BK,” “AU,” and “JF”: 5/1928
PRR “K” card system new: 5/1928
Abandoned, MP 58 east of Port Jefferson to Wading River: 10/9/1938
Last day for Railway Express Agency service on Port Jefferson branch: 2/3/1961
Location of mileposts in relation to Route 25A as of 10/1957:
All located on north side:
MP 58 300’ east of Columbia Street - Port Jefferson
MP 59 On embankment 400’ west of Gulf gas station - Mt. Sinai (still in)
MP 60 Back of Miller Machine Tool factory – Miller Place
MP 61 100’ east of Miller Place Road – Miller Place (still in)
MP 62 North on Harrison Ave. where it crossed the LIRR tracks – Sound
MP 63 About 400’ north of the point where LILCO high tension feeder line
to RCA crosses Route 25A – Rocky Point
MP 64 500’ north of Rocky Point School – Rocky Point (still in)
MP 65 300’ east of Harding Street – Rocky Point (still in)
MP 66 Approx. ___’ north of Miller Ave. on ROW – Shoreham (still in)
MP 67 400’ west of “Nike” Air Base Road – Wading River (still in)
MP 68 Approx. 300’ north of hollow on Route 25A which is 1,000’ west of
Riverhead Town Line – Wading River
From Bob Emery’s Notes
Built by the New York Bay Extension Railroad Co.: 1893
Built by the New York Bay Extension Railroad Co.: 1893
Merged with the LIRR: 1902
Storage battery cars operated 6/1913 to 5/1926
At Valley Stream, on the north side of the Montauk branch, on the New York Bay Extension (later known as the West Hempstead branch) a single track spur stub ended in a sheet metal building which had large garage-type doors on the east end and which closed across the track. There was a platform along the north side of the track inside the shed. The building held two (2) 4-wheel, storage battery cars. Car #s 2 and 4 were assigned to the NY Bay Extension. Car #s 1 and 3 were assigned to the Bushwick branch between Fresh Pond station and Bushwick station. Car #s 1 and 2 were combine cars while #s 3 and 4 were straight coach. They were equipped for multiple operation. They operated in multiples on two trips during commission hour, otherwise they ran as a single unit, while the other would be recharged during lay-over. They were know locally by the native residents as “the Dinky” and by railroaders as “the Moxie Wagons.”
Country Life Press to
baggage cars access to the Doubleday plant): 1911 or 1912
Freight sidings: 1927-28
First year of through MU operations, Valley Stream to
Last year of through MU operations, Valley Stream to
of 9/1935 (service suspended in 1935 due to the Public Service
Commission demanding grade crossing eliminations between West
Just one manual block from “HC” to “VA” until “WM” block limit was
installed in 1935.
Track connection at Country Life Press to the
Tracks cut back from Country Life Press to the west side of
Remaining racks north of
Built, Flushing (Bridge Street) to College Point, by the Flushing & North Side R.R.: 1868
Connection built, Whitestone Jct. to Flushing Creek Drawbridge on Whitestone branch: 1869
Built, College Point to Whitestone, by the F&NS RR: 1869
Built, Whitestone to Whitestone Landing, by the Whitestone & Westchester: 1883
All above railroads leased to the LIRR after 1876.
All above railroads became the Long Island City & Flushing R. R. (LIRR subsidiary): 1882
L. I. City & Flushing R.R. merged with the LIRR: 1889
Main tracks electrified: 10/22/1912
Freight sidings electrified: 1927-28
Pre-“staff” system, trains operated by timetable and watch from Flushing, (Bridge Street) to Whitestone Landing, with “train order signals” at Flushing (Bridge Street), College Point and Whitestone. Manual block from Flushing (Bridge Street) to Whitestone Landing with “meets” and train order signals prior to 10/21/1913
“Staff” system installed from Flushing (Bridge Street) to Whitestone Landing: 10/21/1913 to timetable effective 10/1926 by order of the Public Service Commission after the College Point wreck of 9/22/1913.
Electrically operated, manual block from “JC” to Flushing (Bridge Street): 10/21/1913 to 2/19/1932 inclusive. (semaphores installed)
Electrically operated, manual block from Flushing (Bridge Street) to Whitestone Landing: timetable effective 5/1927 to 2/19/1932 inclusive. (semaphores installed)
Entire branch abandoned from just west of Flushing Creek drawbridge to Whitestone Landing: 2/19/1932
Current LIRR Branch Info 2008*
1)Atlantic (FBA -Valley)
3)Far Rockaway (Valley to EOB Far Rock)
4)Hempstead (Queens-EOB Hempstead)
5)Long Beach (Valley-EOB Long Beach)
6)Mainline (LIC-EOB Green Port)
7)Montauk (Bliss-EOB Montauk)
8 )Oyster Bay (Nassau-EOB Oyster Bay)
9)Pt, Jeff (Divide-EOB Pt, Jeff)
10)Pt, Wash (Harold-EOB Pt, Wash)
11)West Hempstead (Valley-EOB West Hempstead)
There you have it. All 11 branches in alphabetical order
FWIW There are 4 Secondary and location Track I figure I list them as to not make confusion with the branches.
1)Babylon Secondary(Old Wash)
2)C secondary (between Bliss and LIC)
3)Garden Mitchel Secondary (Garden to Mitchel Field)
4)Montauk Cut-off Secondary (A cut-off that (used to)connect(s) the Mainline to the Lower Montauk branch) *UPDATED 3/31/08*