Rockaway Beach Branch

Data/Research: Dave Keller, unless otherwise noted

NEW YORK & ROCKAWAY BEACH RAILWAY
NYRBRY-LIRR_joint-timetable_1892_BradPhillips.jpg (461982 bytes) NYRBRY-LIRR_joint-timetable-reverse_1892_BradPhillips.jpg (518744 bytes)
New York & Rockaway Beach Railway and LIRR joint timetable 6/20/1892 Archive: Brad Phillips
NY&RB_10-01-1897_Fare Booklet_BradPhillips.jpg (168094 bytes)
NY&RB Railway 10/01/1897 Fare Booklet front Archive: Brad Phillips
NY&RB_10-01-1897_Fare Booklet-inside_BradPhillips.jpg (257762 bytes)
NY&RB Railway 10/01/1897 Fare Booklet inside 
Archive: Brad Phillips
NY&RB_10-01-1897_Fare Booklet-back_BradPhillips.jpg (239574 bytes)
NY&RB Railway 10/01/1897 
Fare Booklet back 
Archive: Brad Phillips
The Rockaway Beach branch started on the Main Line just east of WJ (later WIN) tower (Winfield Jct.) east of Woodside, leaving the Main at White Pot Jct. (after the 1910 branch extension from Glendale Jct), originally making a  first stop at the short-lived Matawok station. In subsequent years, Grand Street (short-lived) and Rego Park (along the Main Line) and Parkside (south of the Main Line) were added as station stops.  The tracks then crossed the Montauk branch at Glendale Jct. (after 1910) and continued on to Brooklyn Manor (at Jamaica Ave.), Woodhaven Jct. (at Atlantic Ave.), Ozone Park (just north of Liberty Ave.), Aqueduct, Howard Beach, Hamilton Beach then across the bay making the remainder of the stops, branching off the Hammel's wye and, heading west, terminating at Rockaway Park (Beach 116th St.) and heading east, terminating at Far Rockaway, Mott Ave.

 

TIMETABLES
Rockaway-Beach-Service-ETT-37_11-05-1905.jpg (325440 bytes)
Rockaway Beach ETT #37 11/05/1905 Archive: Art Huneke

Rockaway-Beach-Service-ETT-69_5-25-1913_Keller.jpg (809379 bytes)
Rockaway Beach ETT #69 5/25/1913 Archive: Dave Keller

ETT-110_Eff-6-16-29_Rock-Bch-Branch-Sta-Listing.jpg (234194 bytes)
Rockaway Beach ETT #110 6/16/1929 
station listings Archive: Dave Keller
Rockaway-Beach-Service_ETT-9_6-3-1962.jpg (118656 bytes)
Rockaway Beach ETT #9 6/03/1962 just prior to abandonment June 9, 1962
Rockaway- Beach-Division-TT_9-09-1902.jpg (69334 bytes)
Rockaway Beach Division Timetable  9/09/1902
Archive: Brad Phillips
Rockaway-Park_Worlds-Fair-TT_4-30-1939.jpg (90934 bytes)
World's Fair - Rockaway's Timetable 
4/30/1939 Archive: Brad Phillips

Rockaway Beach Branch- Stations that existed listing north to south:
1. Grand Street
2. Rego Park (on Main Line but ONLY a R. B. branch station stop)
3. Whitepot Jct (at Main Line east of Rego Park) ** Matawok Station
4. Parkside (on RB branch as are all the following locations)
5. Glendale Jct. (Jct. with Montauk branch. Crossed Montauk branch via wooden trestle.)
6. Brooklyn Manor
7. Woodhaven Junction 
8. LIRR electric sub-station (at the southwest side of Woodhaven Jct. station)
9. "OZONE" tower
10. Aqueduct
11. "RACE" signal cabin
12. Howard Beach
13. Hamilton Beach
14. "BEACH" tower
15. Jamaica Bay trestle begins
16. Goose Creek
17. The Raunt
18. Broad Channel
19. "HJ" tower (Broad Channel)
20. "DRAW" tower (Beach Channel)
21. Hammels (closed in 1941 when tracks elevated on viaduct)
22. LIRR electric sub-station #5 (inside Hammels wye)
23. "FX" tower (at Hammels station platform: west leg of Hammels wye)
24. Holland (Beach 92nd St.)
25. Steeplechase (later renamed Playland- Beach 98th St.)
26. Seaside (Beach 103rd St.)
27. Rockaway Park (Beach 116th St.)

Far Rockaway Branch- Stations that existed listing west to east:
1. Rockaway Park 
2. Seaside
3. Playland
4. Holland
5. Arverne
6. Straiton Ave. (Arverne)
7. Frank Ave.
8. Edgemere
9. Wave Crest
10. Far Rockaway, Mott Ave.

GRAND STREET

Station-Grand-St_eastofWoodside_1-1915_Keller.jpg (70168 bytes)
Grand Street station east of Woodside 1/1915 Archive: Dave Keller

Grand Street Station (east of Woodside) on Main Line & Rock Beach Branch on ETT #69, eff.: 5/25/13, but no trains scheduled to stop there.  Shelter shed only with platforms in position to eventually serve both the Main Line and Rock. Bch. Became a Rock. Bch. stop per ETT #70, eff. 7/01/13 when Main Line and Rock. Bch. trains had scheduled stops.  Shelter shed removed 1922 ETT #102, eff. 5/25/25 lists station, but indicates no trains stopping  there.  Discontinued as station stop between 5/25/25 and issuance of ETT #103, eff. 10/21/25 which does not list the station.  Research: Dave Keller and Art Huneke
REGO PARK

The station opened in May 1928 with two side platforms outside the two Rockaway Beach Branch tracks that bracketed the four-track Main Line, so only Rockaway trains stopped there. After the Rockaway Trestle fire in 1950, the line was closed station by station. Low platforms in service: October 29, 1958. The station closed on June 8, 1962, one day before the Rockaway Beach Branch was abandoned; June 9, 1962.  Nothing remains at the site today.

MU-Elec-Diesel_westbound_west-end-Jct-Rock-Bch-Branch_Rego Park_ViewW_c.1952_Keller.jpg (89379 bytes)
Early morning westbound MU electric and diesel-pulled trains are passing the westernmost junction of the Rockaway Beach branch with the Main Line west of the Rego Park station in this 1955 westward view.  The original junction was much further west, but was cut back to this former crossover location in 1955. The remains of the continuation of the former trackage is visible in the distance. The position-light signal is at "stop" aspect to protect the Main Line from Ozone Park and Hamilton Beach trains approaching westbound via the White Pot underjump.  Note the large round marker lamp in the rear vestibule of the diesel-pulled train at the right.  These were installed as a result of the horrible rear-end collision between two trains east of Kew Gardens (commonly known as the "Richmond Hill disaster") on Thanksgiving Eve in 1950. These large markers were supposed to act as a more visible notification of the end of a stopped / stalled train.  (Dave Keller data and archive)  
Rego-Park_viewW_1946.jpg (22718 bytes)
Rego Park station view E 1946
Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket_Rockaway-Park-Rego-Park.jpg (28909 bytes)

Station-Rego-Park-MU-Train_viewW_1952_Edwards-Keller.jpg (60805 bytes)

Station-Rego-Park-MU-Train_viewW_1952_Edwards-Keller1.jpg (57551 bytes)
Rego Park MU Train views W 1952 Photo: Edwards Archive: Keller

Rego-Park_viewE_1954.jpg (25640 bytes)
Rego Park station view E 1954
Archive: Brad Phillips


Current view E at Rego Park

WHITE POT JUNCTION

The Dutch originally colonized New York, shortly afterward in 1652 a group of Englishmen from the Massachusetts Bay Colony came and settled in the Dutch colony. They founded a town they called Newtown, which included Whitepot, which later became Forest Hills. There are two legends that surround the origin of the name Whitepot or Whiteput. The first being The Dutch had named it for the hollow or pit, "put" in Dutch, that was formed by a dry river bed in the area. The second legend is that the land was sold to settlers, by the local Indians, for three white clay pots.

Whitepot-Jct_BUDD-RDC1-2-Railfan-Xtra_ViewN_4-28-57_Edwards-Keller.jpg (108422 bytes)
White Pot Jct BUDD RDC1, 2 Railfan extra view N 4/28/57 Photo: Edwards  Archive: Keller

Whitepot-Jct-BUDD-RDC-1,2_Railfan-Xtra_viewS_4-28-57_Edwards-Keller.jpg (171990 bytes)
White Pot Jct BUDD RDC1, 2 Railfan extra view S 4/28/57 Photo: Edwards Archive: Keller

whitepot-jct_viewE_6-2001.jpg (137819 bytes)
White Pot Jct. view E 6/2001

woodhaven-blvd_white-pot_11-58_Emery.jpg (146306 bytes)
Emery map Woodhaven Blvd to White Pot MP6 11/58
Archive: Dave Keller

 MU-passing-Whitepot-Jct_viewE_1965_RichardMakse.jpg (71571 bytes)
Eastbound MU passing White Pot Jct. view E 1965 Photo: Richard Makse
See star * location Emery map at MP6 above

Whitepot-underjump viewW_4-1965.jpg (61790 bytes)
White Pot Jct. underjump view W 4/1965 
Photo: Brad Phillips

Whitepot-Jct_Far-Rockaway-Branch-underjump_viewNW_4-1965_BradPhillips.jpg (74541 bytes)
White Pot Jct. underjump view NW 4/1965 Photo: Brad Phillips

Rockaway-Branch_63rd-Drive_Fleet-St_11-58_Emery.jpg (138903 bytes)
Emery map Rockaway Branch 63rd Drive to Fleet St 11/58 Emery map Archive: Dave Keller

Emery crossed out Matawok Station for incorrect dates only.  Matawok station did exist at that location; see following section.

Spring-switch-remains-Whitepot-Jct-MP6.5_viewNW_4-1965.jpg (113986 bytes)
View NW
Spring-switch-remains-Whitepot-Jct-MP6.5_viewSE_4-1965.jpg (114038 bytes)
Spring switch remains White Pot Jct. MP6.5 view SE 4/1965 Photos: Brad Phillips

The spring switch was installed when they single-tracked the branch to Ozone Park; location #1 on map above. Info: Brad Phillips

MATAWOK

Probably built 1910 with opening of Glendale cutoff located at Fleet St. (formerly White Pot Rd.) under-grade crossing south of Whitepot Jct. listed on ETT #58, effective: 9/8/1910. No indication of station building, no trains indicated as stopping there, and it does not appear on public timetables at all. Last listed on ETT #69, effective. 5/25/13, missing from ETT effective: 5/27/14.  Research: Dave Keller

Station-Matawok-c.1925.jpg (48770 bytes)Matawok (Forest Hills West): A short-lived station immediately east of the junction (Whitepot Jct.) of the Main Line and Rockaway Beach Line. Station at 66th St. Built for the Matawok Land Co. which was developing Forest Hills West. 400' wooden platforms with access by means of two spans over the Main Line and seven spans over the Rockaway Line. Opened 06/25/1922 and abandoned 07/1925   Vincent Seyfried 



Main Line 4-track Matawok station versus the 2-track Rockaway Beach branch view E c. 1925 Photo: Block Operator Jim Osborne Archive: Ron  Ziel  


         PARKSIDE
         
ticket_Woodside-Parkside.jpg (46399 bytes)

MU-Parkside-1956.jpg (65899 bytes)
MU at Parkside view E 1956 Archive: Dave Keller
LIRR - EB MU at Parkside - Mid-1950's.jpg (45350 bytes)
Eastbound MU at Parkside c.1955  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive)
LIRR - Parkside From Last Train - June 8 1962.jpg (53997 bytes)
Parkside from last train: 06/08/1962 Archive: Brad Phillips
GLENDALE JUNCTION

trestle-remains-Montauk-Division_Glendale-Jct_4-65_BradPhillips.jpg (81841 bytes)
Trestle remains over the Montauk Branch at Glendale Jct. view SW 4/1965 Photo: Brad Phillips

Emery-Map-Glendale-Jct.jpg (568476 bytes)
Emery  map Glendale Jct. 11/58 Note: Trestle location at #18 S62 date 1908 Archive: Dave Keller
Rock-Bch-Br_ROW-Trestle-Glendale-Jct-Montauk-Branch-viewE_12-70_Keller.jpg (83510 bytes)
Trestle remains over the Montauk Branch at Glendale view E 12/1970 Archive/Photo: Dave Keller
Glendale-Jct_track-from-Montauk-Division_viewS_4-1965.jpg (96549 bytes)
Glendale Jct. track from Montauk Branch view S  4/1965 Photo: Brad Phillips

Glendale Junction view south towards Trotting Course Lane crossing and the Interboro Parkway overpass.  Double tracks at left of Rockaway Beach branch.  West leg of connection track to Montauk branch curving in the foreground. 
Info: Dave Keller

Glendale-Jct_track-from-Montauk-Branch-remains_viewS_9-1962_ArtHuneke.jpg (79977 bytes)
Glendale Jct. track remains view S 
9/1962 Archive: Art Huneke

Trotting-Course-Lane-Crossing_East-of-Glendale-Jct_Rock-Branch-Ext-under-construction_12-01-10_viewN.jpg (76935 bytes)
1910 photograph shot at Trotting Course Lane showing the embankment of the newly being constructed Rockaway Beach branch extension towards White Pot Jct.  Photo taken looking northwest where Trotting Course Lane is indicated as dotted lines, north of Union Tpke looking towards the Montauk branch about where the siding is located that says "8c" (8 car capacity). See map above. Research/Archive: Dave Keller
Crossing-Trotting  Course Lane-Rock Bch Branch-View S-05-01-13.JPG (112775 bytes)
Trotting Course Lane crossing of the Rockaway Beach branch on May 1, 1913.  View is looking south (railroad east)  (LIRR valuation photo)  

 

BROOKLYN MANOR 
MU Train-Bklyn Manor-Southbound-1956 (Color) (Edwards-Keller).jpg (83379 bytes)
MU at Brooklyn Manor southbound 1956 Photo: Edwards Archive: Keller
MU Train-Bklyn Manor-Southbound-1950 (Edwards-Keller) (2).jpg (79142 bytes)
MU at Brooklyn Manor southbound 1950 Photo: Edwards Archive: Keller
MU Train-Bklyn Manor-Southbound-1950 (Edwards-Keller) (1).jpg (95042 bytes)
MU at Brooklyn Manor southbound 1950 view S (railroad east) Photo: Edwards Archive: Keller
Brooklyn-Manor_1950s.jpg (23872 bytes)
Brooklyn Manor c.1955

Brooklyn-Manor_6-1961.jpg (61342 bytes)
Brooklyn Manor 6/1961 views N
Archive: Brad Phillips

Rock Bch Br-ROW-Jamaica Ave-Bklyn Mnr-North-05-70_keller.jpg (102224 bytes)
ROW at Jamaica Ave Brooklyn Manor, view N 05/1970 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller
ticket_Brooklyn-Manor-Woodside.jpg (79191 bytes)
Brooklyn Manor to Woodside
10 trip ticket Form 210-H
Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket_Brooklyn-Manor-Manhasset.jpg (58332 bytes)
Brooklyn Manor to Manhasset ticket Form 1H Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket_Rockaway-Park_Brooklyn-Manor.jpg (43529 bytes)
Rockaway Park to Brooklyn Manor ticket 
Form 1H Archive: Brad Phillips
ticket_Rockaway-Park_Brooklyn-Manor_reverse.jpg (38333 bytes)
The 1H reverse stamped with the RP #4 die 1944

"Multi-branch" printed tickets (i.e., forms 1 H) were very rare; usually these tickets were written using blank stock (LH-261/262).  Working the extra board as a ticket clerk from 1965 - 1973 I sold tickets at many LIRR stations and never saw one except for the World's Fair tickets in 1964-65, which almost all stations had due to the large volume of traffic to the fair.  I have a Sag Harbor to East Hampton printed ticket, so there were some over time but not very many.  I'm guessing there was a regular traveler(s) from Brooklyn Manor to Manhasset which prompted the agent to order the ticket stock.  It was pretty much up to the local ticket seller to determine if a printed ticket was justified. Info: Brad Phillips

WOODHAVEN JCT
Woodhaven Junction (Atlantic branch at street level, Rockaway Beach branch crossing via trestle. After grade elimination, Atlantic branch was put under Atlantic Ave. but Woodhaven Jct. still crossed the Ave. on a newer trestle.)
MP41_MU_Train_ Atlantic_Br-Woodhaven_Jct-View_W_from_WT_Tower-09-01-07_(Keller).jpg (85607 bytes)
MP41 MU train is heading eastbound on the Atlantic branch and the lead car is just entering the Rockaway Beach branch at Woodhaven Junction on September 1, 1907.  This view is looking west from "WT" interlocking tower at the Junction  (Dave Keller data and archive)
Station-Elec_Substation No. 3-Woodhaven_Jct-View_NW-c. 1925_(Osborne-Keller).jpg (77952 bytes)
The old, wooden, Woodhaven Jct. station is seen here in this c. 1925 view looking northwest.  The LIRR electric sub-station number #3 at Atlantic Avenue is behind the platform shelters.  This depot was razed in November, 1939 and its replacement built out of brick and concrete as a result of the grade elimination project along Atlantic Avenue.  (James V. Osborne photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
MU_Train_at_Sta-Woodhaven_Jct-View_NE-1950_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (64758 bytes)
An MU electric train is heading northbound (railroad westbound) at the 1939-40-era Woodhaven Jct. station.  View is northeast (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
Emery-Map-Woodhaven-Jct-pre-1942.jpg (381815 bytes)
Emery map Woodhaven Jct. pre-1942 when the Atlantic branch was at street level. Archive: Dave Keller

Emery-Map-Woodhaven-Jct-post-1942.jpg (264328 bytes)
Emery map Woodhaven Jct. post-1942 1942 when the Atlantic Branch was placed  beneath the street. Archive: Dave Keller

Woodhaven-Jct_Connecting-ROW-Atlantic-Division_viewW_4-1965.jpg (82729 bytes)
Woodhaven Jct. view W connecting ROW to Atlantic Branch  4/1965 
Photo: Brad Phillips

ticket_Woodhaven-Jct-Mineola_10-14-42.jpg (30579 bytes)
Woodhaven Junction and Mineola ticket 10/14/42

Tower-WT-Woodhaven-Jct-Atl Br-4-24-18.jpg (125452 bytes)
Tower WT Woodhaven Jct - Atlantic Branch 4/24/1918 Archive: Dave Keller

Woodhaven-Jct_viewN_4-1965_BradPhillips.jpg (94493 bytes)
Woodhaven Jct. view N 4/1965 
Photo: Brad Phillips

Woodhaven-Jct-Station_viewN_4-1965.jpg (75221 bytes)
Woodhaven Jct. station view N 4/1965 Photo: Brad Phillips

MP-72_Woodhaven-Jct_c.1955.jpg (72219 bytes)
An MP54 MU car and train is on the Atlantic Avenue - Rockaway Beach cutoff at Woodhaven Junction.  This view looking southeast from the Atlantic branch towards the Rockaway Beach branch was shot sometime c. 1955 judging by the two different paint schemes visible on the cars.  The last car is dark gray with orange end doors and the next to last car is in Tichy scheme.  In the left background can be seen the rear of "OZONE" tower.  An empty right-of-way shows where the westbound track once was.  Both eastbound and westbound trains at this point in time shared the one remaining track as service was greatly reduced after the 1950 trestle fire which dead-ended this branch at Hamilton Beach.  Service was eventually cut back to Ozone Park and all operations ceased in 1962.  (Bill Rugen photo, Art Huneke archive, Dave Keller data)

Woodhaven-Jct_viewNW-from- RockawayBranch_05-23-39_Huneke.jpg (88493 bytes)
Woodhaven Jct. view NW from Rockaway Branch 05/23/1939 Archive: Art Huneke

Woodhaven-Jct-station_4-1965.jpg (70673 bytes)
Woodhaven Jct. station view N 4/1965 Photo: Brad Phillips

ticket_Woodhaven-Jct-Brooklyn.jpg (25547 bytes)
Woodhaven Junction and Brooklyn (Flatbush Ave.) ticket

TT 9-1934 Rock.jpg (88173 bytes)
Rockaway Beach Timetable New York to Woodhaven Jct. 9/1934 Archive: Brad Phillips

Ozone-Tower_Woodhaven-Jct_Emery-map-correction.jpg (47800 bytes)
OZONE TOWER: The tower was located at the southernmost end of the Woodhaven Jct. station platform on the west side of the tracks (same side as the electric sub-station) where Emery's map is indicated by the red star.

Woodhaven-Jct_viewE-south-from-Ozone-Tower_6-1962.jpg (50655 bytes)
Woodhaven Jct. view south ("railroad east.") from Ozone Tower towards Ozone Park 6/1962 ( red arrow on info/map left: Dave Keller) 
Photo: Brad Phillips

Ozone-Park-Station_viewN-rrwest_closed-Ozone-Tower_07-1958_Huneke.jpg (82067 bytes)
Ozone Tower (closed) view N ("railroad west.") 07/1958 Photo: Art Huneke

Ozone-Tower_viewN_c.1961_Dick-Makse.jpg (103372 bytes)
Ozone Tower view N c.1961 Photo: Dick Makse 
Archive: Brad Phillips

Rockaway-Branch_ticket-cash-receipt_Woodhaven-Rego-Park_1962.jpg (461276 bytes)
1962 IRR Coupon B Cash Receipt Form C-279

The C-279 forms (C-278 for steam territory) were revised many times over the years as stations changed.  Interestingly, there were no Rockaway names on the C-279's for years after the 1950's abandonment of the Rockaway service via Valley Stream.  Then, about 1961, they dropped East Williston and Meadowbrook and added the Rockaway stations.  Note they did not list Ozone Park, and Woodhaven was already there for the Atlantic Division.  Info/Archive: Brad Phillips

C-279_Rockaway-Beach_Cash-Fare-Receipt-Reverse.jpg (236016 bytes)
Rockaway Beach cash receipt reverse c.1962 Archive: Brad Phillips

LIRR - Woodhaven Sign.jpg (15219 bytes)
Brad Phillips Woodhaven sign (now with RR Museum of LI).  

The LIRR's Atlantic branch tracks were placed under Atlantic Ave. and the old rapid transit station stops eliminated.  One such stop was at Woodhaven.  With the discontinuance of that station stop, the Woodhaven Junction stations on both the Atlantic and Rockaway Beach branches were renamed "Woodhaven" sometime during 1940-41 and although the actual junction remained in service until June 8, 1962, the "Junction" portion of the name was dropped. 
Data: Dave Keller

  ticket_Brooklyn-Woodhaven.jpg (27871 bytes)

RockawayMap_DRAW-Tower_OZONE-Tower_map.jpg (30325 bytes)

 

          OZONE PARK ticket_Ozone-Park-Penn.jpg (40829 bytes)
Ticket Ozone Park to Penn Station
Archive: Brad Phillips

1884: Original station constructed.  
5/5/1930: Westward station facilities out of service due to account grade crossing elimination. Temporary low level platform north of new track 1 and 800 east of former location in service.
12/15/30: 2nd elevated station in service.  Eastward facilities relocated north of former location. Westward facilities relocated south of former location.
1930-31: Elevated structure built.
6/08/1962: Closed/discontinued as station stop. 6/09/1962 Branch abandoned: Still standing: 2003

The OZONE PARK STATION Sign Story

Ozone-Park-sign_Brad-Phillips.jpg (23096 bytes)Shortly after we rode the final train to Ozone Park on June 8, 1962, my good friend Dick Makse contacted the NY City Transit Authority (by then the owner of the abandoned line) and inquired about purchasing relics which would otherwise have been left to rust or be discarded.  For the consideration of $1.03 (yes, $1.03), the Authority awarded Dick a written contract selling him various signs, signals and hardware.  His Dad being the owner of Winfield Trucking, a trip to the Liberty Avenue interlocking tower in Ozone Park was quickly made to pick up the waiting material.

Having several duplicate items, Dick graciously offered me an assortment of signs (Woodhaven and Ozone Park being the most significant).  The only hitch: getting them from Woodside to my home in Amityville.  Being too young to drive (legally, anyway), my only option was the train.  The Woodhaven sign and some other small items weren't too difficult; they were heavy and awkward, but manageable on the long walk to the Woodside station.  The Ozone Park sign, however, was the typical PRR keystone cast iron sign, about 5 feet in length, and weighed about 150 lbs.  A separate trip, and handling equipment, for that sign alone would be required.

Dick's Dad had a small dolly which did the trick.  You should have seen the looks on people's faces as I carted the rusty sign through Winfield and down to the LIRR platform at Woodside.  Loading the sign on the train from the high-level platform was no problem but the dolly had to come too.  I diligently propped-up the sign and dolly in a vestibule, the trainman being unusually patient during the trip to Amityville.  Then it was down the steps to the low-level platform at Amityville.  At this point, the patient trainman offered no help and it took me about 5 minutes to get the sign and dolly safely off the train in one piece.  The amused and unbelieving stares of commuters made the whole tedious process worthwhile!  Then another mile-plus hike to my home and down 15 steps to the basement.  

Over the next month I scraped, sanded, and then painted the sign with my best attempt at PRR red and gold.  It looked great in my basement model train room.

A few years later I was off to college, marriage, the US Navy, and a business career which moved me from Long Island to several states and, eventually and finally, to California.  The signs gathered dust at my parent's Amityville home for 20 years.  Then, on relocating to California with a change of job, I took the signs with me.  Finally, after another 25 years in my garage and realizing that I'd never have the proper place to display them, I sent them back home to the Railroad Museum of Long Island in Riverhead where they reside today.  Having not been back to Long Island for almost 20 years to see for myself, I'm hoping they're on display for visitors to enjoy.  Courtesy of Dick Makse and Brad Phillips

Ozone-Park_viewN-rrwest_7-58_Huneke.jpg (60796 bytes)
Ozone Park view N ("railroad west") 7/1958 Photo: Art Huneke

Ozone-Park_last-train_ 6-8-62.jpg (28006 bytes)
Ozone Park -  MU Last train view S  06/08/1962 Photo: Brad Phillips
ticket_NY-Ozone-Park_6-8-62_Last-Run.jpg (42621 bytes)

ticket_NY-Ozone-Park_6-8-62_Last-Run-reverse.jpg (23111 bytes)
Last Run ticket Penn Station to Ozone Park 6/08/1962 Photo/Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket_Ozone-Park-ENY.jpg (44358 bytes)

ticket_Ozone-Park-ENY_reverse_8-30-1955.jpg (33966 bytes)
 Ticket Ozone Park to East  New York  8/30/1955 Archive: Brad Phillips

 
Ozone-Park_Street-Level_viewE_4-1965.jpg (56105 bytes)
Ozone Park street level view E 4/1965 Photo: Brad Phillips
Rock Bch Br-ROW-Ozone Park-Street Level-South-05-70 (Keller).jpg (166233 bytes)
ROW Ozone Park street level view S 5/1970 Archive: Keller
Ozone-Park_East-Bound-Platform_4-1965.jpg (78044 bytes)
Ozone Park Eastbound Platform view W 4/1965 
Photo: Brad Phillips
Staiton-Ozone Park-RK Tower-View SW-05-1914.JPG (88326 bytes)
In this LIRR valuation image from May, 1914, we see the old Ozone Park station at grade.  What was unusual about this depot building is that RK interlocking tower was built as part of the structure, affording a good view down the tracks towards nearby Woodhaven Junction.  This view is looking southwest.  The depot was razed when the tracks were elevated through here in 1931.  (Dave Keller archive)
Ozone-Interlocking-from-Atlantic-Division-Connecting-Track_4-1965.jpg (86975 bytes)
Ozone Interlocking from Atlantic Division connecting track 4/1965
Photo: Brad Phillips

Ozone-Park-Station_viewE_6-1962.jpg (42061 bytes)
Ozone Park station view E 6/1962 
Photo: Brad Phillips
Ozone-Interlocking_viewW_4-1965.jpg (62702 bytes)
Ozone Interlocking view W 4/1965 Photo: Brad Phillips
Station-Ozone Park-MU Train-View N.-1954 (Edwards-Keller).jpg (97248 bytes)
Station Ozone Park MU train view N 1954 Photo: Edwards  Archive: Keller
Station-Ozone Park-Budd RDC 1, 2-Railfan Xtra-4-28-57 (Keller).jpg (103751 bytes)
Station Ozone Park Budd 
RDC 1, 2 Railfan Extra 4/28/1957 Archive: Keller
Ozone-Park_1930_viewN_ freight-yard_Quartin-Paper-boxes-watertower_ArtHuenke.jpg (149660 bytes)
Ozone Park 1930 freight yard view N - Quartin Paper boxes Water tower Archive: Art Huenke
Rock Bch Br-ROW-Ozone Park-Track Level-North-05-70 (Keller).jpg (112320 bytes)
ROW Ozone Park track level view N  5/1970 Archive: Keller
Rock Bch Br-ROW-Ozone Park-Track Level-South-05-70 (Keller).jpg (102860 bytes)
ROW Ozone Park track Level view S 5/1970 
Archive: Keller
MU Train at Sta-Ozone Park-View N-1950 (Edwards-keller).jpg (51808 bytes)
An MU electric train in Tichy color scheme is heading northbound (railroad westbound) at the Ozone Park station in 1950.  This view is looking northwest.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
AQUEDUCT
Aqueduct-original- station-at-grade_racetrack-right_viewN_c.1910.jpg (68929 bytes)
This c. 1910 view shows the old Aqueduct station when still at grade.  Looking north (railroad west) the racetrack structures are at the right. Built in 1883, this old wooden station didn't look all that large, however it was replaced by a substantial concrete high-level platform which opened on 9/24/40 to accommodate the many horse racing patrons who flocked here by train during racing season. (Art Huneke collection, Dave Keller data)  

ticket_Woodside-Aqueduct.jpg (26597 bytes)
Ticket  Aqueduct to Woodside

Crossing-Centerville Ave.-N. of Aqueduct-View NE-10-21-1910 (Keller).jpg (122082 bytes)
Old crossing of Centerville Ave. (the name is incorrect on the official LIRR photo) located just north of the Aqueduct Race Track. view NE 10/21/1910 
Archive: Dave Keller

ticket_Penn-Station-Aqueduct_roundtrip.jpg (55259 bytes)
Ticket  Aqueduct to Penn Station

ticket-Aqueduct-Race-Track-Brooklyn.jpg (43342 bytes)
Ticket  Aqueduct Race Track to Brooklyn
Archive: Brad Phillips

MU_Train_at_Sta-Aqueduct-View_NE-1949_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (94878 bytes)
It's race day in 1949 and an MU electric train heading northbound (railroad westbound) is making the station stop at Aqueduct.  Note the color scheme of the last car:  Tuscan Red with bright aluminum-painted roof.  View is northeast.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data) Cabin-Race_south-Aqueduct-Sta_viewN_1955.jpg (73153 bytes)
Cabin RACE located south of Aqueduct Station view N 1955
HOWARD BEACH
ticket_Howard-Beach_Ozone-Park_c.1918.jpg (99371 bytes)

ticket-Howard-Beach-Ozone Pk-reverse_c.1918.jpg (35884 bytes)
Howard Beach to Ozone Park ticket Form 135 c.1916-19
Archive: Brad Phillips

Note: Old round dater die stamp from Ozone Park. Info: Dave Keller

Station-Howard_Beach-View_N-10-03-34_(Keller).jpg (86897 bytes)
Howard Beach station looking north from the trestle over Hawtree Creek on October 3, 1934.  The boardwalk at the right has been built atop the trestle span.  Note the absence of any sort of guardrails!  (Dave Keller data and archive)
Station-Howard_Beach-View_S-12-17-34_(Keller).jpg (76984 bytes)
This view of Howard Beach station is looking south from the pedestrian overpass on December 17, 1934.  The depot is at the far left and former freight house at the right.  The trestle over Hawtree Creek is in the center of the image and narrow, rickety boardwalks are everywhere!  (Dave Keller data and archive)
Howard-Beach-station_ViewSE-c. 1915.jpg (49979 bytes)

The old, wooden, Howard Beach depot building is seen here in this southeast view c. 1915.  Originally opened in April, 1913 as "Ramblersville", it replaced the original station stop named "Howard" which was 0.2 miles south of this location.  It was renamed "Howard Beach" in April 1916, and, in the mid-1930s, was replaced with a shelter shed on the opposite side of the tracks.  (Art Huneke collection, Dave Keller data)

HAMILTON BEACH
MU_Train_at_Sta-Hamilton_Bch-View_NE-1949_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (109786 bytes)
An MU electric train is seen here at the Hamilton Beach station.  This 1949 view is looking northeast.
(W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

MU_Train_at_Sta-Hamilton_Bch-closer-View_NE-1949_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (95800 bytes)
This view, taken the same day as the image above, was shot closer to the station platform.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

MU_Train_Passing_BEACH_Tower-Hamilton_Bch-View_SE-07-27-47_(Votava-Keller).jpg (108268 bytes)
A northbound (RR westbound) MU train is passing "BEACH" tower at Hamilton Beach on July 27, 1947.  If you look above the fourth car in the train, you can make out the power lines crossing from the west side of the tracks on land to the east side of the tracks on the Jamaica Bay trestle.  View is southeast.  (George E. Votava photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

 

Tower-93-WD-Hamilton Beach-View N-c. 1910 (Huneke).jpg (59079 bytes)
Here's a very old view of "WD" tower at Hamilton Beach taken c. 1910 and looking north towards the distant Hamilton Beach station and signal bridge.  The power poles crossed over to the east side of the trestle behind the photographer.  Originally built in 1904 with the identifying calls of Tower 93, it contained a 16-lever Saxby & Farmer mechanical interlocking machine.  In 1907, per general notices, numbered towers on the LIRR system were changed to initials and this tower became "WD" which stood for "West EnD of Trestle."  Beginning in 1937, the majority of the calls of block offices (primarily in electrified territory) were changed from initials to names and on May 1 of that year, "WD" became "BEACH."  For a short period of time, beginning on November 13, 1939, this tower also contained a Union Switch & Signal Co. 7-lever style TC table machine which remotely controlled "HB" interlocking (Howard Beach).  This additional machine was taken out of service on September 26, 1940.
(Art Huneke photo, Dave Keller archive and data)  
ticket_Woodside-Hamilton-Beach.jpg (54360 bytes)
Station-Hamilton_Beach-View_S-03-14-32_(Keller).jpg (81518 bytes)
Hamilton Beach station looking south towards "WD" tower and Jamaica Bay on March 14, 1932.  "WD" stood for "West EnD of Trestle" and was changed to "BEACH" tower about 5 years later.  In the distance the power poles can be seen switching from the west side of the tracks to the east side of the tracks along the Jamaica Bay trestle.  (Dave Keller data and archive)

Tower-Beach-Hamilton_Beach-View_NE-1950_(Keller).jpg (135185 bytes)
"BEACH" tower at Hamilton Beach in its last days in 1950.  This view is looking northeast.  The tower still sports the PRR Keystone-style call letters.  (Dave Keller data and archive)

On the Sunday night of May 7, 1950 at approximately 10:00PM, a devastating 1,800' fire on the Jamaica Bay Trestle, south of Hamilton Beach, was destroyed by either sparks or a cigarette that was tossed from the train. The damage was estimated at $1 million. The railroad, then in bankruptcy, could not and would not rebuild it. With the subsequent cutting back of rail service to just north of the tower, BEACH was placed out of service on July 16, 1951.
News-Jamaica-Bay-Trestle-Fire_5-9-1950.jpg (167224 bytes) News-Jamaica-Bay-Trestle-Fire_5-9-1950_page2.jpg (347773 bytes)

NY Times May 9th, 1950

Courtesy:
David W. Dunlap
The New York Times

News-Jamaica-Bay-Trestle-Fire_5-9-1950_page3.jpg (265280 bytes)

News-photo_Jamaica-Bay-Trestle-Fire_5-9-1950.jpg (171532 bytes)

 

MP54-1827-End_of_Track-Hamilton_Beach-View_NE-06-25-55_(Rugen-Keller).jpg (82103 bytes)
MP54 MU electric car #1827 and train in Tichy color scheme is laying up at the truncated end-of-track at Hamilton Beach on June 25, 1955.  This view is looking northeast.  (Bill Rugen photo, Dave Keller data and archive)  

Hamilton Beach MP54 view N 1954 Archive: Brad Phillips
Station-Hamilton Bch-MU-End of Line-c.1953.jpg (86883 bytes)
Hamilton Bch Station - MU at end of line c.1953 view S Archive: Dave Keller
Station-Hamilton-Beach_Beach-Tower-Severed-Tracks_viewS_Jamaica-Bay_May-1954.jpg (126802 bytes)
Hamilton Beach - Beach Tower severed tracks view S to Jamaica Bay 5/1954 Archive: Dave Keller
Station-Hamilton-Beach_Shelter-Shed_viewS_5-1954.jpg (131155 bytes)
 Hamilton Beach Shelter Shed view SE 5/1954 Archive: Dave Keller
Tower-Beach-Hamilton-Beach_severed-tracks_Jamaica-Bay_viewS_5-1954.jpg (84475 bytes)
Tower "Beach" Hamilton Beach severed tracks at Jamaica Bay view S 5/1954
GOOSE CREEK
Trestle-Tracks-Goose_Creek-View_N-08-03-14_(LIRR-Keller).jpg (54885 bytes)
In this LIRR valuation photo from August 3, 1914, we are looking north along the trestle and tracks north of the Goose Creek station.  (LIRR valuation  photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
Station-Goose_Creek-View_S-08-03-14_(LIRR-Keller).jpg (109233 bytes)
This terrific view taken the same day as the previous image, shows the Goose Creek station stop on its tiny little tuft of land in Jamaica Bay.  This stop was primarily for fishermen.  View is south.  (LIRR valuation photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
"THE RAUNT"

Opened: 1900  Out of service: 5/23/50 with abandonment of Jamaica Bay trestle after fire of 1950
G.O. #1728, Effective: 5/23/50: "The Raunt Station and station facilities, out of service." 


"The Raunt" 1933 view N
Archive: Brad Phillips

MU 12-car train -Jamaica Bay trestle - The Raunt, NY - 7-27-47.jpg (63392 bytes)
MU 12 car train Jamaica Bay trestle "The Raunt" 7/27/1947 view E Archive: Dave Keller

Double-decker-1294_Raunt_fan-trip_10-1948_ W.J.RUGEN_Huneke.jpg (59771 bytes)
Freshly-painted double-deck car #1294 is pulling a railfan extra southbound at the station at The Raunt.  This station stop was located on a tuft of land in Jamaica Bay.  In this view looking north in October, 1948, from the pedestrian crossover, we see this train consisting of the double-deck car at the head end, a regular passenger car and an open-air, gondola car coupled at the rear to allow railfans to take photos while the train was in motion.  (Bill Rugen photo, Art Huneke archive, Dave Keller data)

MU_Train_Nearing_Sta-The_Raunt-View_S-07-27-47_(Hermanns-Keller).jpg (108870 bytes)
Many of the windows are open on this northbound MU train as it approaches the station stop at The Raunt on July 27, 1947.  View is south.  (George E. Votava photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

MU Dbl Dk-1294-Railfan Extra Southbound-at Sta-The Raunt - 10-31-48.jpg (138956 bytes)
MU Double Decker #1294 Railfan Extra southbound at Station "The Raunt" 10/31/48 view N Archive: Dave Keller

Raunt_viewS.jpg (31785 bytes)
"The Raunt" view S
Archive: Brad Phillips

Station-The_Raunt-View_N-06-08-33_(Keller).jpg (64296 bytes)
Looking north we see the station stop for The Raunt on June 8, 1933.  Again, note the many narrow, rickety boardwalks connecting the various structures.  (Dave Keller data and archive)

JAMAICA BAY
American_Type_Loco_and_Train_on_Trestle-Jamaica_Bay-c. 1900_(Keller).jpg (51387 bytes)
An American-type (4-4-0) steam locomotive is pulling a 4-car train across Jamaica Bay c. 1900.  Note the lead car is a baggage/mail car (the mailbag grab bar is visible across the rear door) and the second car is a combine baggage-passenger car which is coupled BACKWARDS.  Must've had a lot of extra baggage on that run.  Also note the absence of any form of power/telegraph lines along the trestle at this point in time.  (Dave Keller data and archive)
MU-train-Trestle-Jamaica-Bay-c. 1948_viewSE.jpg (58941 bytes)
The Howard station was located 0.1 mile east of "WD" tower ("West End of Trestle" later "BEACH" tower), about where Bill Rugen photographed this MU electric train of all-Tuscan Red, MP54 cars crossing the wooden trestle over Jamaica Bay sometime in the late 1940s.  View is southeast.  (Bill Rugen photo, Art Huneke archive and data)

 

BROAD CHANNEL

Opened: 1900  Out of service: 5/23/50 with abandonment of Jamaica Bay trestle after fire of 1950
G.O. #1728, Effective: 5/23/50: "Broad Channel Station and station facilities, out of service."  Research: Dave Keller

ticket-NY&RB_Broad Channel-Woodhaven-Jct.jpg (248808 bytes)
Ticket NY&RB Co. Broad Channel to Woodhaven Jct. c.1900 
Archive: Brad Phillips
Broad-Channel-postcard_c.1905.jpg (56538 bytes)
Drawbridge at Broad Channel postcard c.1905 Archive: Brad Phillips
broad-channel-station_c.1905.jpg (88394 bytes)
Broad Channel Station c.1905-1910
D53_Camelbacks_and_Trains_Passing_on_Swing_Bridge-Broad_Channel-c. 1900_(Keller).jpg (70390 bytes)
A turn-of-the-century Mom and her kids are oblivious to the terrific scene occurring on the trestle behind them!  TWO American-type class D53 camelback steam locomotives and their respective trains are passing each other on the Broad Channel swing bridge.  Note the TWO baggage cars on the train at the left.  I guess to them it was "just another day at the beach."  Ho-hum . . .  (Dave Keller data and archive)
MP41_MU_Train_at_Sta-Broad_Channel-View_N-c. 1907_(Keller).jpg (65135 bytes)
A southbound MP41 MU electric train is making the station stop at Broad Channel in this c. 1907 view looking northeast.  By now there are plenty of power/telegraph poles on the Jamaica Bay trestle.  First electric service on the LIRR was  via third rail to Rockaway Park in 1905.  (Dave Keller data and archive)
Station-Broad_Channel-View_S-08-03-14_(LIRR-Keller).jpg (114305 bytes)
A rare and very  old LIRR valuation photo of the Broad Channel station and station area looking south on August 3, 1914. The ticket office and waiting room appear to be housed in the first floor of the hotel at the left as evidenced by the bay window and scattered chairs.  (LIRR valuation photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
D16b_and_Train_S_at Sta-Broad_Channel-View_N-1916_(Keller).jpg (59291 bytes)
Although electric trains were run to Rockaway Park beginning in 1905, steam was still used on occasion as can be seen by this American-type (4-4-0) class D16b locomotive and southbound train speeding into the station at Broad Channel in 1916. Again, the view is looking northeast.  (Dave Keller data and archive)
MP41_MU_Train_at_Sta-Broad_Channel-View_S-1917_(Keller).jpg (65389 bytes)
In this view from the opposite direction we see another southbound MP41 MU electric train making the station stop at Broad Channel in 1917.  The view is looking southeast towards the swing bridge.  (Dave Keller data and archive)
MU Train-Station-Broad Channel-Jamaica Bay-c. 1937.jpg (91532 bytes)
MU at Broad Channel station Jamaica Bay c. 1937
Archive: Dave Keller
 MU_Train_at_Swing_Bridge-Broad_Channel-View_SE-07-27-47_(Hermanns-Keller).jpg (85625 bytes)
MU  #1412 electric is clearing the swing bridge at Broad channel in this southeast view taken on 7/27/1947.  Just about every window is open for a breath of fresh (?)  sea air on this hot summer's day.  (Ed Hermanns  photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
MU_Train_at_Sta-Broad-Channel-View_SE-07-27-47_(Votava-Keller).jpg (89602 bytes)
A northbound MU train has made the station stop at Broad Channel on July 27, 1947.  Compare this SE view with the previous image photographed 33 years earlier (above- left).  It would appear that the hotels and beer halls have disappeared.  (George E. Votava photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

 

MU_Train_Nearing_Sta-Broad_Channel-View_S-07-27-47_(Hermanns-Keller).jpg (114258 bytes)
Another MU train is northbound, approaching the Broad Channel station on July 27, 1947.  In this view south, we see quite a few fishermen on the wooden platform in the right background.  (Ed Hermanns photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
BEACH CHANNEL
MP54_in_Water-Beach_Channel_Swing_Bridge-View_N-07-21-28_(Keller).jpg (58769 bytes)
An MP54 MU electric car decided it wasn't going to wait for the swing bridge at Beach Channel to close and tried to make the leap . . . but failed.  In this view looking north on July 21, 1928 we see the aftermath of that mistake as the wreck crane, shored up on multiple wooden blocks, attempts to correct it.  (Dave Keller data and archive)
Beach-Channel-Swing-Bridge_viewN.jpg (54602 bytes)
A terrific view of the swing bridge at Beach Channel in operation as photographed by Harold Fagerberg in 1939.  View is looking north.  (Art Huneke collection)
Blueprint - Beach Channel Swing Bridge - 08-1906 (Huneke).jpg (128609 bytes)
This is an official LIRR blueprint from August, 1906 for swing bridge #R144 which was built in 1892 at Beach Channel.  (Art Huneke collection)
DRAW TOWER 
Tower-DRAW-After_Damage-View_NE-1946_(Keller).jpg (159530 bytes)
"DRAW" tower at the south end of the bay at the Beach Channel swing bridge had an altercation with a derailed train and looks like it didn't come out as the winner.  This 1946 view is looking northeast.  The tower was demolished shortly afterwards and replaced by a cabin, also called "DRAW". After train service over the trestle was ended after the destructive fire of May, 1950, "DRAW" cabin was once again relocated but this time to a point inside the east end of the wye at Hammel.  (Dave Keller data and archive)
Broad-Channel_1917_WilliamJMadden.jpg (30476 bytes)
"HJ" tower ("DRAW" tower after 4/30/37) and swing bridge - Hammel (Hammels)- c. 1917
Note: Towerman fishing from upper window! Archive:  Dave Keller  

Also note that "HJ" tower and "DRAW" tower are indicated as two separate locations, because HJ tower, which later became DRAW tower was destroyed in a train wreck in 1946 and replaced by a cabin AND a SECOND replacement DRAW tower (cabin, actually) was constructed some years later ON LAND inside the wye at Hammel. Info: Dave Keller

Cabin-DRAW-Hammel_Wye-View_NE-10-02-55_(Rugen-Keller).jpg (130051 bytes)
"DRAW" cabin was photographed from the rear of a moving train headed westbound for Rockaway Park in this October 2, 1955 view.  We are looking east along the elevated viaduct towards Far Rockaway.  The tracks curving off to the left behind the cabin lead to Jamaica Bay but are no longer in use.  (Bill Rugen photo, Dave Keller data and archive)

DRAW_Cabin_at_Beach_Channel_Swing_Bridge-View_N-10-31-48_(Keller).jpg (101831 bytes)
After "DRAW" tower was demolished in 1946, an adjacent cabin was put into service as an interlocking station.  "DRAW" cabin is visible here are the far left, in front of the Beach Channel swing bridge as we look north on October 31, 1948.  It will be relocated in 1950 to just inside the east leg of the Hammel wye when service over the Jamaica Bay trestle comes to an end. (Dave Keller archive and data)
 RockawayMap_Rockaway-Park_Far-Rockway_map.jpg (28116 bytes)
HAMMELS
Map-Hammel's-Wye-c.1924_The-Keystone-Summer99-Keller.jpg (292721 bytes)
Hammel's Wye c.1924 
Map: Gary Kleinedler - 
The Keystone  
Archive: Dave Keller

Tower-FX-Ocean Electric Trolley Nos. 30, 7 - Hammels Wye-8-14-21.jpg (117890 bytes)
FX Tower  Ocean Electric Trolley Nos. 30, 7 at Hammel's Wye  8/04/1921 
Archive:  Dave Keller

Aerial View-Hammels Wye-Jamaica Bay-View NW-c. 1935 (Keller).jpg (186868 bytes)
Aerial view NW of Hammel's Wye and Jamaica Bay - c. 1935
Archive: Dave Keller

Ocean Electric Co. trolley No. 30 is leaving the LIRR's tracks at FX tower, Hammels and entering its own tracks and right-of-way for the trip westbound towards  Neponsit.  Trolley No. 7 behind it is headed east towards the LIRR's station at Far Rockaway, Mott Ave.  Notice car No. 7  has no trolley pole extended.  These trolleys ran on LIRR tracks between this point and Far Rockaway, Mott Ave. using third rail shoes.  At FX tower they then continued on to Neponsit via their own tracks and right-of-way using poles connecting to overhead trolley wires.  This August 4, 1921 view is looking northeast.  Hammel's station building and large covered platform shed is visible behind the 2nd trolley car. This joint service lasted only a few more years and the tower was demolished in 1925. (Dave Keller data and archive)

Emery-Map-Hammels_Wye-post-1942.jpg (271844 bytes)
Emery Map Hammel's Wye post-1942  5/1959 Archive: Dave Keller

Left leg W to Rock Park
Right leg N to Jamaica Bay
LIRR electric sub-station #5 at right just before the bay
Relocated "DRAW" cabin as a result of G. O. #1728 in center
Info: Dave Keller

 LIRR - Hammel's Wye looking toward Rock Park - Mid-1950's.jpg (64042 bytes)
Hammel's Wye view NW c. 1955 Photo: Brad Phillips


hammel-wye-inset.jpg (79495 bytes)
 

Station-Hammel's-Under_Platform_Shed-07-21-16_(Keller).jpg (66885 bytes)
The station at Hammel's had a very large shelter shed constructed trackside to accommodate the massive crowds that took the train to and from the beach during the summer months.  This view, taken on July 21, 1916 shows the inside of a portion of that shelter shed and the news stand.  Picket fences and picket fenced gates held back the crowds until train time.  (Dave Keller data and archive)  

Beach 84th-St.-crossing_viewNE_c.1905.jpg (96572 bytes)
Hammel's station and wye looking NE prior to construction of "FX" tower -c.  1905  (Dave Keller data)

FX-Tower_    1909.JPG (50332 bytes)
A steam locomotive is pulling a Rockaway Park-bound train along the west leg of the wye at Hammel's station.  In this view looking northeast, "FX" tower is dead-center.  This tower protected the LIRR tracks at the junction point of the Ocean Electric Railway trolley line when there was joint operation to Far Rockaway, Mott Ave. and return.  The trolleys ran via overhead wire and trolley pole until on the LIRR tracks at which point they switched over to third rail shoes to power them.  This tower was placed in service on April 19, 1907 and had a Johnson 16-lever mechanical interlocking machine.  It was taken out of service for the winter on October 10, 1922.  Not sure if it reopened the following summer.  It was permanently placed out of service and razed on April 20, 1925. (Dave Keller data)

Station-Hammel's-Beach_84th_St._Xing-View_NE-11-10-27_(Keller).jpg (110407 bytes)
Looking northeast on November 10, 1927, we see the Beach 84th St. crossing just in front of the station and large shelter shed at Hammel's.  In the left background is LIRR electric sub-station #5.  The tracks at the left head north towards Jamaica Bay and the tracks at the right head towards Far Rockaway.  To the right of the depot building is the express/freight house.  Where the man is standing in the center of the image and to the right of the power pole was the site of "FX" tower which controlled the junction of the LIRR and Ocean Electric Trolley tracks during the years of joint operations.  (Dave Keller data and archive)

Crossing-Beach_84th_St-Hammel's-View_N-11-10-27_(Keller).jpg (115627 bytes)
Taken the same day as the view above, this view of the Beach 84th St. crossing at Hammel's is looking north.  Behind the buildings at the right is the station stop.  In the foreground can be seen the remains of the Ocean Electric Trolley tracks still in the street, but no longer connecting with the LIRR's tracks.  (Dave Keller data and archive)

Station-Hammel's-Beach_84th_St._Xing-View_NE-1934_(Keller).jpg (86663 bytes)
This view is also looking northeast towards the Beach 84th  St. crossing and Hammel's station, only a few years later than the previous views.  This 1934 image shows weeds growing on the tracks that connect Rockaway Park with Far Rockaway. (Dave Keller data and archive)

ticket_Hammel-Brooklyn_return.jpg (42745 bytes)

ticket_Hammel-Brooklyn_return_reverse_11-11-1924.jpg (52815 bytes)
Return ticket Hammel to Brooklyn return  11/11/1924
Archive: Brad Phillips

Tower-HU-E._End_of_Wye-Pleasant_Ave.-View_NW-Hammels-07-21-11_(Keller).jpg (124296 bytes)
This is the east end of the Hammel's wye at the grade crossing of Pleasant Avenue as seen on July 21, 1911.  The view is looking northwest and in the distance is "HU" tower.  Compare this view with the color image of "DRAW" cabin atop the viaduct looking in the same direction in 1955!  The tracks at the right head north towards Jamaica Bay.  The tracks at the left head towards the Hammel's station and on to Rockaway Park. The tracks in the foreground connect with Far Rockaway and are considered part of the "Far Rockaway branch" per employee timetables. (Dave Keller data and archive)
MU_Train_Far_Rock_Bound-Work_Train_from_Bay-Hammel_Wye-View_E-12-08-46_(Hermanns-Keller).jpg (59199 bytes)
In this great view of the elevated viaduct looking east at what was once the Hammel wye, we see a MU electric train at the right from Rockaway Park heading eastbound towards Far Rockaway at Mott Ave.  In the left background, we see a work train coming off the bay trestle.  It's December 8, 1946 and there has recently been another fire on the trestle.  The work train is assisting in making repairs.  3-1/2 years later and the trestle will have seen its final fire. (Ed Hermanns photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

MU_Train_Far_Rock_Bound-Work_Train_from_Bay-Hammel_Wye-View_E-12-08-46_(Votava-Keller).jpg (50120 bytes)
This is a similar view to the previous image, shot on the same day.  Beach Channel Drive is seen at ground level.  (George E. Votava photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

 

MU_Train_Rock_Park_Bound-Hammel_Wye-View_E-1954_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (60830 bytes)
After service over the bay was abandoned, trains traveling to and from Rockaway Park made the trip via Valley Stream and Far Rockaway.  The southern portion of the elevated wye at Hammel was used for this purpose.  Here we see one such MU trains bound for Rockaway Park in 1954.  View is east.  Beach Channel Drive is in the foreground.  In the left distance is the non-used east leg of the wye.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
HOLLAND  (BEACH 92nd St.)
Station-Holland-c. 1910.JPG (117165 bytes)
A terrific view of the old 1880-era Holland station taken when at grade c. 1910.  Note the separate building to the left and behind the depot which was used as the "Baggage Room." Also notice the sliding wooden gate in the mid-track fence, to close off the grade crossing.  In the right background is another large, trackside restaurant.  These were numerous at station stops along this portion of the branch. This little depot was remodeled in 1899 and yet again in 1914.  The building remained in service until the construction of the viaduct through here in 1941.  (Dave Keller archive)
MP54_Train_at_Sta-Viaduct_Under_Constr-Holland-09-29-40_(Keller).jpg (92060 bytes)
An MP54 MU electric train has made the low-level platform station stop at Holland while construction is underway for the new, elevated station atop the viaduct.  This view is from September 29, 1940.  The steel columns are covered with wire mesh so they can be coated with a concrete finish, giving the impression that the viaduct, once completed, is all concrete.  (Dave Keller data and archive)  

Holland-Station_1955.jpg (83002 bytes)
Looking east from the 1942 elevated station platform atop the viaduct, we see Holland station as it appeared in 1955 as it neared the end of its LIRR career.  (Bill Rugen photo, Art Huneke archive, Dave Keller data)

ticket_Holland-Far-Rockaway.jpg (73188 bytes)

MU_Train_at_Sta-Holland-1950_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (46290 bytes)
The elevated viaduct extended from just east of the Far Rockaway station at Mott Ave. to just west of the Seaside station, coming back down to grade to enter the yard at Rockaway Park.  All stations along that portion of the line were elevated.  This MU train is stopped at the elevated Holland station in 1950 (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

MU-Train-Station-Holland-bound-for-Rockway-Park_viewE_1955_Keller-closeup.jpg (60505 bytes)
An MU train "railroad eastbound" from Far Rockaway, Mott Avenue approaches the elevated station at Holland in the last days of LIRR service.  This 1955 view is looking east towards the elevated Hammel Wye and viaduct.  As the trip from New York/Jamaica/Flatbush Avenue to Rockaway Park was considered eastbound, this train was technically an eastbound train, although geographically the train changed direction at Valley Stream when it entered the then-Far Rockaway/Rockaway Beach branch after the 1950 fire that destroyed the trestle over Jamaica Bay and ended all subsequent LIRR train service to Rockaway Park via the bay route.  (Dave Keller archive)

STEEPLECHASE - Renamed PLAYLAND- (BEACH 98th St.)
Station-Steeplechase-View_SE-07-21-16_(Keller).jpg (58250 bytes)
Steeplechase Park was a great draw for summer crowds.  People flocked here and to nearby Seaside by the thousands and wooden picket fences and gates were erected for crowd control.  This July 21, 1916 view of the Steeplechase station shows the many picket fences and gates under the covered shelter.  View is southeast.  The Steeplechase station stop was changed to Playland in 1933. ( Dave Keller archive and data)
MU Train at Sta-Playland-1952 (Edwards-Keller).jpg (51872 bytes)
An MU train in Tichy color scheme is making the station stop at Playland station in this 1952 view.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
MU_Train_Nearing_Distant_Sta-Playland-View_E-c. 1954_(Keller).jpg (853813 bytes) Atop the elevated viaduct, we see another MU train heading east as it approaches the distant Playland station.  This c. 1954 view is looking east from the end of the Seaside station platform.  ( Dave Keller archive and data)
SEASIDE (BEACH 103rd St.)
Seaside-viewE_1900.jpg (81812 bytes)
Seaside Station view E 1900
Archive: Dave Keller

ticket_Far-Rockaway-Seaside.jpg (27368 bytes)

Seaside-Station-Postcard-c.1905.jpg (124767 bytes)
Seaside Station postcard c.1905
Archive: Brad Phillips
The massive shed shows you the amount of people that waited for trains at that station. I was told by a trainman that worked that line back in the late teens-early 1920s that the sliding picket gates kept the people away from the tracks and trains until boarding time when they were opened and it was pure pandemonium. Steeplechase station (later Playland) located one stop away had a similar massive covered shed and gates. Info: Dave Keller
Station-Seaside-MP41_MU-Train_rockparkbound_viewSE_1912.jpg (59298 bytes)
Seaside Station MP41 MU train Rockaway Park bound view SE 1912

 

Crossing-Conway_St.-Seaside-View_W-07-16-31_(Keller).jpg (105294 bytes)
The crossing guard doesn't appear to be too busy although the sign on his crossing shanty warns against "Loafing"! Note also the "No Spitting" sign facing the tracks. This is the grade crossing of Conway St. in Seaside. Photographed on July 16, 1931, one of the expanding gas tanks at Rockaway Park is visible in the right background of this westward view. (Dave Keller data and archive)
Station-Seaside-View_SE-07-21-16_(Keller).jpg (57215 bytes)
Another major tourist draw during the summer months was Seaside, which boasted a very tall and extremely wide water slide.  In this view looking southeast, taken on July 21, 1916, we see the Seaside station with guard who would operate the picket gates for crowd control.  Note that one of the gates is across the eastbound track, to keep people from sneaking in the wrong way. Note the many heat ventilators on the roof of the vast shelter. (Dave Keller archive and data)
MU_Train_Rock_Park_Bound_Leaving_Sta-Seaside-View_E-1950_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (111422 bytes)
It's 1950 and the Tichy color scheme has begun.  Looking southeast from street level, we see a Rockaway Park-bound MU train leaving the Seaside station.  In the consist of Tuscan red coaches there's one Tichy coach sticking out like a sore thumb.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
MU_Train_at_Sta-Seaside-View SE_1950_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (58322 bytes)
Seaside station at track level shows another MU train with the same 8-car consist of the previous view.  It would appear the photographer caught the train as it headed towards Rockaway Park, then, in this image, caught it the same day as it returned, displaying marker lamps at the rear.  View is looking southeast.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
ROCKAWAY PARK (BEACH 116th St.)
ticket-Rockaway-Beach-Flatbush.jpg (54805 bytes)
Ticket Rockaway Beach to Brooklyn (Flatbush Ave.)  
Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket_Brooklyn-Rockaway-Park_8-27-37_Warren-Leunig.jpg (83127 bytes)
Ticket Brooklyn to Rockaway Park 8/27/1937 Archive: Warren Leunig

Map-Rockaway-Park-c.1948_The-Keystone-Keller.jpg (113143 bytes)
Rockaway Park c.1948 
Map: Gary Kleinedler - 
The Keystone  Archive: Dave Keller

Rockaway-Beach-card_c.1910.jpg (39714 bytes)      Rockaway-Beach-card_c.1910_2.jpg (40449 bytes)
Rockaway Beach cards c.1910
Archive: Dave Keller

 

rockaway-park-NY_commuter-ticket_9-39.jpg (64916 bytes)
Rockaway Park to NY commuter ticket for September 1939

rockaway-park-NY_commuter-ticket_back_dater-die_8-30-39.jpg (35603 bytes)
Rockaway Park to NY commuter ticket for September 1939 reverse 
dater die 8
/30/1939

 

Rockaway-Beach-station_5th-Ave_now-Beach-116th-St.-viewNE_c.1910.jpg (59000 bytes)
Rockaway Beach Station 5th Ave. prior to NY City mandated street name changes in 1916 to Beach 116th St. view NE c.1910

Rockaway-Park-station_Postcard_c.1917.jpg (88512 bytes)
Rockaway Park station postcard c.1917+ as it shows brick station. View SE

Map-Rockaway-Park-LIRR-BRT-Joint-Svc-1916_The-Keystone-Keller.jpg (172247 bytes)
Rockaway Park LIRR-BRT 
joint service 1916 Map: Gary Kleinedler - 
The Keystone  Archive: Dave Keller

Excursion Tickets

ticket_Rockaway-Beach_EastNY_excursion.jpg (101637 bytes)The East New York excursion was issued in ENY (very light die impression) on 7/19/1919.  Via Short Line means you can't take the roundabout route through Jamaica and Valley Stream. Archive: Brad Phillips  

Railroads issued excursion tickets for many reasons; to get more traffic of course, but also to serve the public in enabling reasonable (cheap) fares to popular places and events (beaches, amusement parks, flower shows, etc.).  There almost always a round trip and have a limited life (one day, weekend, etc.).  Often, special trains were run in addition to regularly scheduled service.  Of course, the LIRR offered many excursions over the years, the more famous being race trains and fishermen's specials.  

The East New York excursion was obviously for city folk to get to the cool breezes and surf of the Rockaway's.  Of interest is that it's for a full 30 days which, perhaps, was geared to folks who rented bungalows for several weeks during the summer (as my grandparents did in Averne).

Most full fare tickets had stopover privileges (i.e., you could leave the train at an intermediate point in your journey and then continue on later without paying an extra fare), but discounted excursion tickets did not allow this.  Additionally, this ticket specifies "via short line" which means the most direct route to the destination must be taken.  It also goes further to specify that it's not good on Far Rockaway trains which really is a redundancy in this case as there were only two routes to Rockaway Beach, via Ozone Park or Jamaica/Valley Stream.  Thus, these restrictions prevented a passenger from taking the long route to Rockaway, perhaps to stopover in Jamaica for shopping or elsewhere en route to visit family or friends. Info: Brad Phillips

Station-Rockaway Park-Under Constr.-View E.-07-05-17_keller.jpg (96843 bytes)
Rockaway Park station and yard View E  from the old elevated BRT track loop structure located behind the new depot building under construction at this time - 7/5/1917 Joint LIRR/BRT service ended this same year.  (LIRR valuation photo / Dave Keller archive)
Rockaway-Park-yard_c.1955_viewW.jpg (69443 bytes)
Looking west, we see the Rockaway Park yard and terminal as it looked in 1955.  Note the mixture of dark-gray/orange end doors and Tichy color schemes in use.  At the left we see the yard has been torn up and re-graded for the new tracks to be installed by the NY City Transit Authority who would take control of this terminal and all the tracks and rights-of-way on October 3rd of that year.  (Bill Rugen photo, Art Huneke archive, Dave Keller data)
Rockaway-Park_viewE_10-02-1955.jpg (68352 bytes)
Rockaway Park station 10/02/1955 view east from behind the terminal building ONE DAY before the official end of LIRR service.  Most of the yard tracks to the right have been removed. Info: Dave Keller Archive: Brad Phillips

Rockaway-Park-station-arial-view_Postcard_c.1930.jpg (67382 bytes)
Rockaway Park station Aerial view postcard c.1930 View is looking southeast.  Old elevated BRT track loop visible behind the 1917 brick depot building.

 Station-Rockaway_Park-View_SE-06-06-16_(Keller).jpg (155835 bytes)
Demolished for a new, brick depot building in 1917, the old, wooden station building at Rockaway Park (Beach 116th St.) still looks pretty good in this view looking southeast on June 6, 1916.  Note the string of vintage automobiles parked out front and the Rockaway Saving and Loan Association next-door!  5% paid on your savings back in 1916???  Wow!  Compare this image with the c. 1917 colorized postcard view looking in the same direction. (Dave Keller data and archive)

Station-Rockaway_Park-Interior-06-06-16_(Keller).jpg (121876 bytes)
It appears the interior of the old Rockaway Park station building was quite roomy as is evidenced by this photo taken the same day as the view above. There are three Dietz kerosene lamps visible as well as the ubiquitous newsstand, wooden benches and one, lone, pot-bellied stove.  6/06/1916 (Dave Keller data and archive)
MU_Train_at_Terminal-Yard_Removed-Rockaway_Park-View_W-09-1955_(Keller).jpg (103154 bytes)
One month to go before this terminal is officially turned over to the NY City Transit Authority.  This is Rockaway Park with one, lone, MU train at the platform.  The rest of the yard has been torn up and groundwork appears to be underway for the new TA yard that will be constructed.  This September, 1955 view is looking west.  (Dave Keller archive and data)

MU_Trains_at_Terminal-Rockaway_Park-View_W-1952_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (83309 bytes)
Only three more years before this scene no longer exists.  It's 1952 and trains are laid up at the terminal at Rockaway Park.  View is looking west towards the 1917 brick terminal building.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

Station-Rockaway_Park-View_SE-c. 1952_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (99288 bytes)
Here is the 1917 brick terminal building at Rockaway Park as seen from the Beach 116th Street side c. 1952. Compare this image looking southeast with the 1916 view of the old, wooden structure and antique automobiles parked along the street.    (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

LIRR - Rockaway Park Dater Die4 - 10-2-55.jpg (77089 bytes)
Dater Die Stamp Last Usage 10/02/1955
 Archive: Brad Phillips

 

Station-Elev_BRT_Loop-Trackside-Rockaway_Park-View_N-06-06-16_(LIRR-Keller).jpg (223467 bytes)
This trackside view of the old, wooden Rockaway Park station  is looking north on June 6, 1916.  Interesting is the two-story bay window and at the far right can be seen a small portion of the BRT elevated wooden structure that looped around the entire yard for the years prior to 1917 when LIRR-BRT joint service was underway.  (LIRR valuation photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
ARVERNE

timetable-back_Arverne_7-18-1955.jpg (80009 bytes)
Timetable back Arverne 7-/18/1955 featuring the Schrafft's Ice Cream chain
Archive: Brad Phillips

Station-Arverne-Gaston_Ave-View_W-c. 1915.JPG (73316 bytes)
This view of the Arverne, Gaston Ave. station is looking west c. 1915.  Note the cantilevered twin semaphore signals in the background.  The island platform services two of the three tracks passing through this station.  This center track was removed in the early 1930s.   (Dave Keller data)

ticket_Jamaica-Arverne.jpg (31357 bytes)
Ticket Jamaica to Arverne 
Archive: Brad Phillips

 

Station-Arverne-Gaston_Ave-View_NE-c. 1915.JPG (70937 bytes)
The station building at Arverne, Gaston Ave. is shown here looking northeast c. 1915.  Arverne got its name from the land developer there whose name was "R. Verne." Due to a dispute early on, a second "Arverne" station was opened at Straiton Ave.  Note the ubiquitous warning sign on the mid-track fence advising of the active third rail.   (Dave Keller data)

ticket-Arverne-Rockaway-Branch_Penn-Sta.jpg (51812 bytes)
Ticket Arverne to Penn Station  Archive: Brad Phillips

STRAITON AVE.
Straiton-Ave_1955.jpg (33383 bytes)
Straiton Ave. station 1955 
Archive: Brad Phillips
ticket_Rock-Park-Straiton-Ave.jpg (46315 bytes)
FRANK AVE.
MP-54_Frank-Ave_c.1950.jpg (139272 bytes)
An MP54 electric MU train is eastbound on the elevated viaduct approaching the station at Frank Avenue (Edgemere) in this c. 1950 view looking northeast.  Note the train is in the new Tichy color scheme with the last car having a black roof.  The station was called "Frank Avenue" because that was the original name of the cross street at which it was located.  In later years the street was renamed several times finally ending up as Beach 44th Street.  (Dave Keller data)
ticket_NY-Frank-Ave.jpg (53933 bytes)

EDGEMERE

Edgemere-Station_viewE_1915.jpg (49163 bytes)
Edgemere Station view E 1915

Edgemere-Station_11-5-37.jpg (41271 bytes)
Edgemere Station view W 11/05/1937
Photo: Fred Weber Archive: Ron Ziel 
Note the crossing shanty at the left atop the high level platform.  Info: Dave Keller
MU_Train_at_Sta-Edgemere-04-06-1934_(Keller).jpg (98608 bytes)
Approaching Far Rockaway, Mott Ave. from Hammel's wye, we arrive at the Edgemere station.  An MU electric train has made the station stop on April 6, 1934 when the station was still at grade.  View W (Dave Keller data and archive)
ticket_Edgemere_Rockaway-Park.jpg (64260 bytes)


Edgemere Dater Die - 10/2/1955

WAVE CREST
ticket_Wavecrest-Rockaway-Park.jpg (27652 bytes)
Ticket Wave Crest to Rockaway Park Archive: Brad Phillips

IND_A_Train_at_Former_LIRR_Station-Wavecrest-View_E-1960_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (75597 bytes)
After the NY City Transit Authority took over the LIRR's trackage between Far Rockaway, Mott Ave. and Rockaway Park, they continued to use the elevated LIRR stations between those two towns.  In this 1960 image looking east,  we see an IND "A" train making the station stop at the LIRR's former station stop of Wave Crest, west of Far Rockaway.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

Crossing-Far_Rockaway_Blvd-Wave_Crest-1934_(Keller).jpg (128512 bytes)
This is the Far Rockaway Blvd. grade crossing at Wave Crest as photographed in 1934.  Note the cantilevered signals mounted on the wooden power pole at the right!  Missing are the semaphore blades from both sets of signals which governed the middle track which has since been removed.(Dave Keller data and archive)

ticket_Rock-Park-Wavecrest_lastday_10-2-1955.jpg (42226 bytes)

ticket_Rock-Park-Wavecrest_lastday_10-2-1955_reverse.jpg (40499 bytes)
Ticket Last Run - Wave Crest to Rockaway Park 10/02/1955 Archive: Brad Phillips  

Station-Wave_Crest-04-11-39_(Keller).jpg (102037 bytes)
The old at-grade station at Wave Crest is seen in this photo taken on April 11, 1939.  This station stop was soon to be elevated and placed atop the viaduct, eventually becoming a stop for the New York City Transit Authority when they took control of the tracks west of Far Rockaway, Mott Ave.  in October, 1955.  (Dave Keller data and archive)
FAR ROCKAWAY  
(click for more)
Map-Far-Rockaway-Smith-St_Mott-Ave.-c.1925_The-Keystone-Keller.jpg (173765 bytes)
Far Rockaway Smith St. to Mott Ave. c.1925 Map: Gary Kleinedler - The Keystone  Archive: Dave Keller
Map-Far-Rockaway-Mott-Ave_Team-Yard-c.1925_The-Keystone-Autumn99-Keller.jpg (168157 bytes)
Far Rockaway Mott Ave to Team Yard c.1925
Map: Gary Kleinedler - The Keystone  

Archive: Dave Keller

Emery-Map-Far-Rockaway-1942-1957.jpg (295734 bytes)
Emery map Far Rockaway 1942-1957 
Archive: Dave Keller

FarRockawayOldStationViewN-c.1955.jpg (42934 bytes)
Old station with train on elevated viaduct. View N  c. 1955  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive)

MU Train at Sta-Far Rockaway, Mott Ave-View W-1955 (Edwards-Keller).jpg (93724 bytes)
An MU train in dark gray and orange color scheme is making a station stop at the elevated Far Rockaway, Mott Ave. station in this view looking west in 1955.  By October of that year, through trains would no longer be running from here to and from Rockaway Park as the track rights and ROW would be turned over to the NY City Transit Authority.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

ETT-110_Eff-6-16-29_Far-Rock-Branch-Sta-Listing.jpg (76177 bytes)
ETT #110 Eff. 6/16/1929 
Far Rockaway Branch Stations
Archive: Dave Keller


Far Rockaway, Nameoke Ave. 
Dater Die Stamp 07/31/1972 
Usage/Collection: Dave Keller

Far-Rockaway-Station_ViewW_6-1964.jpg (74638 bytes)
Far Rockaway station at Nameoke Ave. after tracks were cut back from Mott Ave.  View NE - 6/1964  
Archive: Brad Phillips

Far-Rockaway-Branch-TT_6-30-1915.jpg (167706 bytes)
Far Rockaway Branch Timetable 6/30/1915
Archive: Brad Phillips