Far Rockaway Branch
Data/Research: Dave Keller, unless otherwise noted  

EARLY HISTORY

The main section of the South Side Railroad was completed from Jamaica to Babylon in 1867. However, the train did not make a formal stop at Valley Stream. Waiting passengers had to flag down the train if they wanted to get aboard. In 1868, Electus B. Litchfield, a financer from Babylon, purchased the Brush farm, a large tract of land comprised of over 85 acres. He laid out what later became the Village of Valley Stream.

A train depot was built in 1869 on Rockaway Avenue at Third Street, located south of the tracks. Some prominent residents had offered to pay for half the cost of building it, but then reneged on their offer. The workmen rioted at the news, so the South Side Railroad paid for the station itself. The building was located between Third Street and Rockaway Avenue, south of the tracks. In 1876, the South Side Railroad ceased to exist and ownership passed to the Long Island Railroad. In 1889 the South Side Rail Road merged with Long Island Railroad. 

There were two trolleys in Valley Stream. The “Toonerville” trolley was owned and operated by the Long Island Traction Company and was in operation from 1903 to 1926.   It ran from Jamaica to Freeport, and passed through Valley Stream along Jamaica Avenue. The other trolley was “The Dinkey,” a battery-driven trolley that ran north to south, from Mineola to Valley Stream. It broke down frequently. It, too, went out of business in 1926 when the Long Island Railroad electrified the line and established regular train service.  

“50th Anniversary Book of Valley Stream” (1975) – Howard Ruehl 

TIMETABLE/STATIONS/EMERY NOTES

ETT 110 Eff 6-16-29  Far Rock Branch Sta Listing.jpg (104269 bytes)
ETT #110 Eff. 6/16/1929 Far Rockaway Branch Stations

Mile posts changed after the Jamaica Bay trestle was taken out of service in 1950 and access to Far Rockaway was via Valley Stream only.

Mileage begins at "HJ" tower which is the former name of "DRAW" tower prior to the 1937 name change.  "HU" tower was the tower at the east leg of the Hammel's wye, controlling whether Far Rockaway trains went to and from the trestle over the bay or traversed the base of the triangle on to Rockaway Park. And it shows all 5 station stops between "HJ" tower and Far Rockaway (Mott Ave.), with branch mileage ending at Valley Stream. Also note that this is effective 6/16/29 and Gibson opened 5/29 of that year, so this ETT reflects the new station stop at 7.7 miles from "HJ" tower.  

Emery Branch Notes: FAR ROCKAWAY BRANCH

Line “A” built by the Far Rockaway Branch Railroad Co. from Valley Stream to Far Rockaway: 1868 and placed in service: 1869
Line “B” built by the Rockaway Railway Co. from Far Rockaway to Neptune House, Rockaway Park: 1871 and placed in service: 1872
Line “A” leased to South Side R. R. in 1868, with operations begun in 1869 until 1876.
Line “B” leased to South Side R. R. in 1872 with operations begun the same year until 1876.
Line “A”: original terminal of this line at     ?   .
Line “B” built west from Far Rockaway to N.Y. & Rockaway Beach Jct. (on present LIRR line in 1958 when notes were written) and then line curved to the south and followed the ocean shore to Rockaway Park.
LIRR leased the SSRR Co.: 1876-1879, when the Brooklyn & Montauk R. R. was formed to take over all former SSRR lines.
The Brooklyn & Montauk R.R. was leased to the LIRR: 1879-1889, when it was merged with the LIRR.
The LIRR abandoned the original SSRR line from just east of Cedarhurst station to just west of Carlton Ave., Far Rockaway: 1876
Hammels to NY&RB Jct. built: 1887
Line “B” from NY&RB Jct. and near the ocean to Rockaway Park abandoned: 1887.
Double track laid from Hammel to NY&RB Jct. and Lawrence: 1899
Third track laid from Hammel to NY&RB Jct. and Far Rockaway: 1904
Double track laid from Valley Stream to Lawrence: 1903
Third track laid from Cedarhurst to Far Rockaway: 1907 or 1910 (?)
Line electrified, Hammels to Valley Stream: 12/1905
Freight sidings electrified: 1928-30
Ocean Electric Railway operated its trolleys over the LIRR from Far Rockaway to Hammel: 1899 – 1926.
Last passenger train from Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park: 10/2/55

VALLEY STREAM
Valley-Stream_winter-c.1900.jpg (120314 bytes)
Valley Stream Winter view SW c.1900 post card
SOUTH SIDE R. R. SERVICE BEGAN 10/28/1867. DEPOT OPENED: 7/1869 WITH OPENING OF BRANCH TO FAR ROCKAWAY. BUILT INSIDE LEGS OF WYE.

2nd DEPOT BUILT AT SAME LOCATION OR ORIGINAL DEPOT REMODELED: c. 1881 OUT OF SVC: 8/10/32 ACCOUNT GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION PROJECT.
RAZED: 1933. TEMPORARY STATION RELOCATED ON SHOO-FLY NORTH OF FORMER LOCATION IN SVC: 8/10/32 TRACKS AND STATION PLATFORMS ON FAR ROCKAWAY BRANCH OUT OF SVC: 8/31/32. ELEVATED TEMPORARY TRACKS AND PLATFORMS ON FAR ROCKAWAY BRANCH IN SVC: 2/7/33

3rd ELEVATED, CENTER-ISLAND STRUCTURE NORTH OF FORMER LOCATION IN SVC: 6/27/33. ELEVATED JCT. OF W. HEMPSTEAD BRANCH IN SVC: 9/10/33
Valley-Stream_c.1905_Keller.jpg (101554 bytes)
Valley Stream Summer view SW c.1905  
Valley-Stream_summer-c.1910+.jpg (103368 bytes)
Valley Stream Summer view SW c.1910+ 
modified post card
Valley-Stream-Station_view SW_1924_Ziel.jpg (101379 bytes)
Valley Stream Station view SW 1924 Archive: Ron Ziel 
MU Trains-Old MU Yard-Valley Strm-9-14-32 (Keller).jpg (83067 bytes)
MU Trains in the old Valley Stream yard 
View NW 9/14/1932
DD1-Frt-east-Montauk-Branch-tracks-Valley-Strm-c. 1940.jpg (70744 bytes)
DD1 freight eastbound on Montauk Branch tracks at 
Valley Stream c. 1940
Valley-Stream_Beers-map-1873.jpg (131064 bytes)
Beers map - Valley Stream 1873 Archive: Art Huneke

The curved platform at the left is the west leg of the wye. (Above left) That's the platform for passengers to and from Far Rockaway.  The right leg of the wye and the depot building are to the right outside this image. Back in the day, this was a stop along the Montauk branch, hence the depot being located beyond the turn-off for Far Rockaway.  Far Rockaway trains only stopped at this curved platform.  Montauk trains (and possibly Long Beach trains) stopped in front of the depot.  Note: Between the 2nd and 3rd MU trains is visible a small portion of the upper story of "VA Tower: 1 

LIRR - Far Rock MU at Valley - Jan 1971_BradPhillips.jpg (134870 bytes)
Far Rockaway MU at VA Tower 1/1971 
Photo: Brad Phillips
LIRR - EB Far Rock Train at Valley Stream - Winter 1968_BradPhillips.jpg (98988 bytes)
Eastbound Far Rockaway train at Valley Stream Winter 1968 
Archive: Brad Phillips
VA-Interlocking-Valley-Stream_Blueprint_1923_Huneke.jpg (227495 bytes)
LIRR VA Interlocking Valley Stream blueprint 1923 Archive: Art Huneke
Emery_Valley-Stream_MP15-16_9-1958.jpg (266788 bytes)
Emery map - Valley Stream MP15-16 9/1958 
“VA” TOWER
VA TOWER huneke c.1930.jpg (78870 bytes)
"VA" Tower: 1 - View SW c.1930 Archive: Art Huneke

"VA" tower was rebuilt in 1910 because two more tracks were added that year and the interlocking had to be rebuilt to accommodate these tracks and signaling thereof. There are 3 tracks behind the mid-track fence and one at the right.  The mid-track fence was moved to this position after 1925.  

“VA” TOWER: 1 VALLEY STREAM  - JCT. OF FAR ROCKAWAY AND WEST HEMPSTEAD 
BRANCHES
WITH MONTAUK BRANCH. 
LOCATED ON
S. SIDE OF MONTAUK BRANCH TRACKS
AT W. END OF STATION PLATFORM. 56
LEVER MECHANICAL MACHINE IN SVC: 4/24/07, REPLACING 1886 TOWER #20. REBUILT: 1910. INTERLOCKING REBUILT: 12/17/23.  OUT OF SVC: 8/10/32. RAZED: 1933 WITH GRADE ELIMINATION.  See LIRR blueprint above..

“VA” TOWER: 2  JCT. OF FAR ROCKAWAY AND WEST HEMPSTEAD BRANCHES WITH MONTAUK BRANCH. BUILT EAST OF STATION AND JUNCTION.  IN SVC:  6/27/33.  RENAMED “VALLEY”: 4/30/37 See Emery map location #8 above right.

VA-Tower_6-28-33_Huneke.jpg (118942 bytes)
"VA" Tower: 2 -  LIRR valuation photo: 6/28/33
 view NW Archive: Art Huneke
GIBSON
BUILT: 5/29/1929. AGENCY CLOSED: ? 
Station-Gibson-MU train-c. 1955.jpg (95954 bytes)
Gibson Station view N c.1955

GIbson-Station-aerial_c.1929.jpg (124219 bytes)
Gibson aerial view E c.1929

Gibson-Station_viewW.jpg (33331 bytes)
Gibson Station view W

William R. Gibson came to Valley Stream in 1922 when he purchased land from the Norumbega Real Estate Company and the Queens County Water Company. On this land, Gibson designed and built homes for many white-collar city workers who were seeking a country-type environment along with convenience, naming the community after himself. The original land comprised 500 acres on Roosevelt Avenue and the adjacent side streets. The first homes built were on Avondale, Berkeley, Cambridge, Derby and Elmwood streets. More acreage was bought in 1927, along with rows of attached residences and mews on Cochran Place and Dartmouth Street.

In 1929, the Long Island Railroad agreed to have morning and evening stops in Gibson, if Gibson erected his own train station. He did, at a cost of $50,000. A 16-hole miniature golf course was erected directly east of the station shortly after it was built. In 1932, an indoor tennis court was built across from the station as well.

Almost all of the families included at least one commuter. Realizing that his community needed transportation, Mr. Gibson planned a railroad station. After several years of legal negotiations, the Long Island Railroad agreed to have trains stop morning and night at Gibson, if the builder would erect his own station. This was done at a cost of $55,000 and on May 29, 1929, the new building was
officially opened. 

Gibson awarded prizes for the most-beautiful and best-kept gardens and lawns. He started the custom of carol-singing around a Christmas tree at the Gibson Station, provided the Santa Claus, and bought candy for all the children who attended. ...In a whimsical mood, he named some of the new streets after well-known liquors: Haig Road, DuBonnet Road, Carstairs Road, Gordon Road and Wilson Road."

At one period during Gibson's development, 733 houses were sold in 738 days. During the depression years, Mr. Gibson pioneered the cellarless house, the so-called Nantucket model. It sold in 1939 for $3,890. These homes, comparable to an average four-room apartment, won the award of the New York Chapter of The American Institute of Architects for "excellence in design and construction.  

Howard F. Ruehl in his History of Valley Stream, published for the Village's fiftieth anniversary in 1975  

HEWLETT
Station-Hewlett-MU Train_7-1956-(Edwards-Keller).jpg (75542 bytes)
Hewlett Station view N MU Train 7/1956 (Edwards-Keller)

SOUTH SIDE R.R. BEGAN SVC: 7/1869 AS “HEWLETTS.” DEPOT BUILT: 1870 (Per Vincent Seyfried’s LIRR history)
ON SOUTH SIDE OF TRACKS EAST OF FRANKLIN AVE. TRADITION SAYS CONSTRUCTION WAS PAID FOR BY THE HEWLETT FAMILY. REPLACED BY NEW DEPOT: 7/28/2003. 

2ND DEPOT OPENED: 7/28/2003, ON N. SIDE OF, AND PERPENDICULAR TO, THE TRACKS AND W. OF FRANKLIN AVE. AGENCY CLOSED: 8/19/2009. 
ORIGINAL DEPOT USED BY LIRR PERSONNEL. STILL STANDING: 2014. 


Archive: Brad Phillips
Station-Hewlett-Rear-1968 (Keller Photo and Archive).jpg (80333 bytes)
Hewlett Station view NW 1968
WOODMERE

MP41 Train at Sta-Woodmere -c. 1912 (Keller).jpg (105376 bytes)
MP41 Train at Woodmere Station c.1912

SOUTH SIDE R. R. SVC. BEGAN: 7/1869 ON TIMETABLE AS “WOODSBURGH” 

2ND DEPOT BUILT: 1902 WITH PORTE COCHERE AT REAR. PORTE COCHERE REMOVED BY 1939. 
EAVES IN FRONT OF DEPOT CUT BACK AND COVERED PLATFORMS REMOVED WITH INSTALLATION OF 
HI-LEVEL PLATFORMS: c. 1968. AGENCY CLOSED: 8/19/2009.


Archive: Brad Phillips

Station-Woodmere valuation_8-14-18_Huneke.jpg (195748 bytes)
Woodmere Station LIRR valuation 8/14/1918
Archive: Art Huneke

Woodmere-Station- valuation_8-14-18_Huneke.jpg (89051 bytes)
Woodmere Station LIRR valuation photo 8/14/1918 
Archive: Art Huneke

CEDARHURST
Cedarhurst.jpg (45411 bytes)
Cedarhurst Station

SOUTH SIDE R.R. BEGAN SVC: 7/1869 BUILT: 7/1872 (Per Vincent Seyfried’s LIRR history. 3-year gap?) 
RIVAL L.I.R.R. ALSO BUILT DEPOT: 7/1872, AFTER MERGER OF 2 ROADS, OCEAN POINT DEPOT AND L.I.R.R. DEPOT ABANDONED: 6/1876  L.I.R.R. DEPOT MOVED TO FAR ROCKAWAY: 8/1881 S.S.R.R. DEPOT AT OCEAN POINT REOPENED: 6/1887, GREATLY REMODELED: 5/1888 

3RD DEPOT BUILT: 1913. PORTE COCHERE AT REAR. REMOVED: 19 _?_. AGENCY CLOSED: 8/19/2009 

LAWRENCE
Station-Lawrence - SSRR - 1907.JPG (100240 bytes)
Lawrence Station S.S.R.R. 1907 

SOUTH SIDE R. R. BEGAN SVC: 7/1869. DEPOT BUILT: JUNE-JULY/1872 (Per Vincent f. Seyfried’s LIRR history. 3-year gap?) MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION: 7/31/1906 

2ND DEPOT OPENED: 8/1906. AGENCY CLOSED: ? 


Archive: Brad Phillips
INWOOD
Station-Inwood - c. 1928.jpg (66942 bytes)
Inwood Station c.1928 

SHELTER SHED OPENED: 12/3/11, RAZED: 1956. REPLACED WITH METAL SHELTER SHED.


Archive: Brad Phillips
FAR ROCKAWAY

Station-Far Rockaway-Mott Ave-West from FW Tower-6-6-33 (Keller).jpg (124588 bytes)
Far Rockaway Station Mott Ave view W from
 FW Tower 6/06/33

MU Train Approaching Station-Far Rockaway-Nameoke Ave-View NW - 06-02-62  (Faxon-Keller).jpg (99211 bytes)
MU Train approaching Far Rockaway Station at
Nameoke Ave view NW 6/02/62 (Faxon-Keller)

GROVE STREET (LOCKWOOD’S GROVE):
 BUILT:  1872.  STATION STOP DISCONTINUED.  DEPOT MOVED TO SYOSSET: 9/1877
Station-Syosset-c. 1910.jpg (52294 bytes)
Station viewed in place at Syosset, c. 1910, with eastbound train.

 

 

 

MOTT AVENUE: 
SOUTH SIDE R. R. DEPOT OPENED: 7/1869. (MOTT AVENUE) CONVERTED TO FREIGHT HOUSE FOR 
2ND DEPOT: 1881 

2ND DEPOT MOVED TO SITE FROM OCEAN POINT (CEDARHURST), REMODELED AND OPENED: 10/1/1881 
(Vincent Seyfried data. Brand new depot constructed per LIRR 1881 annual report, Art Huneke data)
SOLD AND MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION: 10/1890 

3RD DEPOT OPENED: 7/15/1890, USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH NEW HI-LEVEL PLATFORMS IN SVC: 4/10/42. 
LIRR THRU SERVICE TERMINATED HERE: 10/3/55 WHEN TRACKAGE TO ROCKAWAY PARK TRANSFERRED TO TA OWNERSHIP. BECAME TERMINUS OF FAR ROCKAWAY BRANCH. DISCONTINUED AS STATION STOP: 2/21/58 WHEN SERVICE WAS CUT BACK TO NAMEOKE AVE. ELEVATED TRACKS AND OLD DEPOT RAZED SHORTLY THEREAFTER.

NAMEOKE AVENUE: 
 IN SERVICE: 2/21/58. AGENCY CLOSED: ?

Emery-Map-Far-Rockaway-pre-1942.jpg (407011 bytes)
Emery Map Far Rockaway Branch-Mott Ave., Far Rockaway Station prior to 1942 as the station still indicates having low-level platforms. The tracks were elevated on a 
viaduct through here and placed in service on 4/10/42.

Then, thru service ended on 10/3/55 and shortly thereafter, the viaduct and tracks were severed at Mott Ave.  The LIRR tore up its tracks and viaduct and moved east 
to the present-day terminal at Nameoke Ave. and the NYCTA constructed their new Far Rock station and began operating transit trains from there using the existing 
elevated viaduct to Frank Ave., Wavecrest, Playland, etc., etc. and Rockaway Beach as well as over the new Jamaica Bay trestle. Info: Dave Keller

Tower-FW-Far Rockaway-6-6-33.jpg (109459 bytes)
FW Tower, Far Rockaway 6/06/1933

FW tower at end of station platform.  Track in front of tower leads to the express house.  Looking east – 1933  Note the single mast signal in the right background and a cantilever mast signal in the left background . . . both of which were set by the levers pulled in the tower.

FW Tower: FAR ROCKAWAY - SOUTH SIDE OF TRACKS AND EAST OF STATION. IN SERVICE: 6/18/1907. RENAMED “ROCK”   5/11/37.

ROCK Tower: FAR ROCKAWAY (PREVIOUSLY “FW”  TOWER) SOUTH SIDE OF TRACKS AND EAST OF STATION. IN SVC: 1907.  
RENAMED: 5/11/37. OUT OF SVC: 7/8/41.

Tower-ROCK-Far Rockaway-c. 1939(Huneke).JPG (111424 bytes)
ROCK Tower, Far Rockaway c.1939 
Archive: Art Huneke
Station-Far Rockaway, Mott Avenue-MU Train-View East - 1920 (Keller).jpg (104323 bytes)
Far Rockaway Station Mott Ave MU train - view E 1920
Far Rockaway-Express House-East-1915.jpg (86185 bytes)
The building to the left of FW tower below, in front of the tall smokestack is the Far Rockaway venue of Sheffield Farms Dairy.  Express house at right. Looking east – 1915
MU REA-1205-at Express House-Mott Ave. Yard-Far Rockaway- View NW-08-09-52_Faxon-Keller.jpg (85411 bytes)
Far Rockaway Yard MU REA #1205 at Express House
Mott Ave. View NW 8/09/52 (Faxon-Keller)
timetable_Rockaway-Branch_4-13-1885.jpg (413956 bytes)
Timetable Rockaway Branch 4/13/1885  Archive: Brad Phillips

Archive: Brad Phillips
Map-Far-Rockaway-Smith-St_Mott-Ave.-c.1925_The-Keystone-Keller.jpg (173765 bytes)
Far Rockaway Smith St. to Mott Ave. c.1925 Map: Gary Kleinedler - The Keystone  Archive: Dave Keller

Map-Far-Rockaway-Mott-Ave_Team-Yard-c.1925_The-Keystone-Autumn99-Keller.jpg (168157 bytes)
Far Rockaway Mott Ave to Team Yard c.1925
Map: Gary Kleinedler - The Keystone  
Archive: Dave Keller

Far-Rockaway-Branch-TT_6-30-1915.jpg (167706 bytes)
Far Rockaway Branch Timetable 6/30/1915 Archive: Brad Phillips
Emery-Map-Far-Rockaway-1942-1957.jpg (295734 bytes)
Emery map Far Rockaway 1942-1957

25-Far Rockaway.jpg (52794 bytes)
LIRR Far Rockaway Track map 1966 page 25

FarRockawaySheffieldFarmDairyViewW1915.jpg (91166 bytes)
Sheffield Farms Dairy at the left, with rooftop “skeleton” sign.  Looking west - 1915
Mott Avenue crossing at grade.  Depot at right of MU train.  Express house towers above the lead car in the background.  Looking east - 1915.jpg (104323 bytes)
Mott Avenue crossing at grade.  Depot at right of MU train.  Express house towers above the lead car in the background.  Looking east - 1915
MU Train at Sta-Far Rockaway, Mott Ave-View W-1955 (Edwards-Keller).jpg (77829 bytes)
  An MU train in dark gray and orange color scheme is making a station stop at the elevated Far Rockaway, Mott Ave. station in this view looking west in 1955. Note: This was AFTER Tichy and prior to Goodfellow/Dashing Dan scheme.  By October of that year, through trains would no longer be running from here to and from Rockaway Park as the track rights and ROW would be turned over to the NY City Transit Authority.   (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
FarRockawayOldStationViewN-c.1955.jpg (42934 bytes)
Old station with train on elevated viaduct. View N  c. 1955  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive)
Far-Rockaway-Station_ViewW_6-1964.jpg (74638 bytes)
Far Rockaway station at Nameoke Ave. after tracks were cut back
 from Mott Ave.  View NE - 6/1964  
Archive: Brad Phillips

Far Rockaway, Nameoke Ave. 
Dater Die Stamp 07/31/1972 
Usage/Collection: Dave Keller

NOTE: Ownership of the trackage and station stops below, (Wave Crest to Arverne, inclusive) were transferred to the NYCTA as of October 3, 1955, and the tracks severed with the removal of the LIRR's overpass at Mott Ave. The NYCTA built their own Far Rockaway station on the west side of Mott Ave. and the LIRR maintained their Far Rockaway station on the east side.
WAVE CREST
ticket_Wavecrest-Rockaway-Park.jpg (27652 bytes)
Ticket Wave Crest to Rockaway Park Archive: Brad Phillips

IND_A_Train_at_Former_LIRR_Station-Wavecrest-View_E-1960_(Edwards-Keller).jpg (75597 bytes)
After the NY City Transit Authority took over the LIRR's trackage between Far Rockaway, Mott Ave. and Rockaway Park, they continued to use the elevated LIRR stations between those two towns.  In this 1960 image looking east,  we see an IND "A" train making the station stop at the LIRR's former station stop of Wave Crest, west of Far Rockaway.  (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive and data)

 

Crossing-Far_Rockaway_Blvd-Wave_Crest-1934_(Keller).jpg (128512 bytes)
This is the Far Rockaway Blvd. grade crossing at Wave Crest as photographed in 1934.  Note the cantilevered signals mounted on the wooden power pole at the right!  Missing are the semaphore blades from both sets of signals which governed the middle track which has since been removed.(Dave Keller data and archive)

ticket_Rock-Park-Wavecrest_lastday_10-2-1955.jpg (42226 bytes)

ticket_Rock-Park-Wavecrest_lastday_10-2-1955_reverse.jpg (40499 bytes)
Ticket Last Run - Wave Crest to Rockaway Park 10/02/1955
  Archive: Brad Phillips
 

Station-Wave_Crest-04-11-39_(Keller).jpg (102037 bytes)
The old at-grade station at Wave Crest is seen in this photo taken on April 11, 1939.  This station stop was soon to be elevated and placed atop the viaduct, eventually becoming a stop for the New York City Transit Authority when they took control of the tracks west of Far Rockaway, Mott Ave.  in October, 1955.  (Dave Keller data and archive)  
EDGEMERE
Edgemere-Station_viewE_1915.jpg (49163 bytes)
Edgemere Station view E 1915

Edgemere-Station_11-5-37.jpg (41271 bytes)
Edgemere Station view W 11/05/1937
Photo: Fred Weber Archive: Ron Ziel 
Note the crossing shanty at the left atop the high level platform.  Info: Dave Keller
MU_Train_at_Sta-Edgemere-04-06-1934_(Keller).jpg (98608 bytes)
Approaching Far Rockaway, Mott Ave. from Hammel's wye, we arrive at the Edgemere station.  An MU electric train has made the station stop on April 6, 1934 when the station was still at grade.  View W (Dave Keller data and archive)  
ticket_Edgemere_Rockaway-Park.jpg (64260 bytes)


Edgemere Dater Die - 10/2/1955

 

FRANK AVE.
MP-54_Frank-Ave_c.1950.jpg (139272 bytes)
An MP54 electric MU train is eastbound on the elevated viaduct approaching the station at Frank Avenue (Edgemere) in this c. 1950 view looking northeast.  Note the train is in the new Tichy color scheme with the last car having a black roof.  The station was called "Frank Avenue" because that was the original name of the cross street at which it was located.  In later years the street was renamed several times finally ending up as Beach 44th Street.  (Dave Keller data)
ticket_NY-Frank-Ave.jpg (53933 bytes)
STRAITON AVE.
Straiton-Ave_1955.jpg (33383 bytes)
Straiton Ave. station 1955 
Archive: Brad Phillips
ticket_Rock-Park-Straiton-Ave.jpg (46315 bytes)
ARVERNE
timetable-back_Arverne_7-18-1955.jpg (80009 bytes)
Timetable back Arverne 7-/18/1955 featuring the Schrafft's Ice Cream chain
Archive: Brad Phillips
Station-Arverne-Gaston_Ave-View_W-c. 1915.JPG (73316 bytes)
This view of the Arverne, Gaston Ave. station is looking west c. 1915.  Note the cantilevered twin semaphore signals in the background.  The island platform services two of the three tracks passing through this station.  This center track was removed in the early 1930s.   (Dave Keller data)

ticket_Jamaica-Arverne.jpg (31357 bytes)
Ticket Jamaica to Arverne 
Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket-Arverne-Rockaway-Branch_Penn-Sta.jpg (51812 bytes)
Ticket Arverne to Penn Station  
Archive: Brad Phillips

Station-Arverne-Gaston_Ave-View_NE-c. 1915.JPG (70937 bytes)
The station building at Arverne, Gaston Ave. is shown here looking northeast c. 1915.  Arverne got its name from the land developer there whose name was "R. Verne." Due to a dispute early on, a second "Arverne" station was opened at Straiton Ave.  Note the ubiquitous warning sign on the mid-track fence advising of the active third rail.   (Dave Keller data)

Arverne-Station_colorized-post-card_c.1905.jpg (75839 bytes)
Arverne Station colorized 
post card c.1905