Great River  


Great River Station and Express House - View NW  c.1900 Archive: Dave Morrison

YOUNGSPORT:  SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD ORIGINAL NAME FOR GREAT RIVER. SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD FREIGHT STATION ONLY UNTIL 1897 WHEN PASSENGER DEPOT BUILDING CONSTRUCTED AND OPENED AS "GREAT RIVER". APPEARS AS “YOUNGSPORT” ON LIRR FREIGHT REPORT FORM OF 1893, BUT DOES NOT APPEAR ON ANY TIME TABLES (PUBLIC OR EMPLOYEE) OF THAT ERA.  Note: Prior to that, the South Side Sportsmen’s Club, which was located north of the present-day Sunrise Highway, was serviced by the South Side Rail Road’s Club House depot which was located at the Bayard-Cutting Estate, between present-day mileposts 45 and 46.  See photo below left.

GREAT RIVER: BUILT: 1897. PORTE COCHERE AT REAR. AGENCY CLOSED: c. 1931 (Robert Emery data). EXPRESS HOUSE REMOVED AROUND 1932. DEPOT SUPPOSEDLY BURNED: 1943, BUT PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE INDICATES DEPOT STILL STANDING ON 09/28/44. PROBABLY BURNED IN MARCH, 1945 PER REFERENCE IN "SUFFOLK COUNTY NEWS" ARTICLE OF 04/06/45 THAT MENTIONED THE LIRR PLANS TO CONSTRUCT A NEW DEPOT TO REPLACE THE GREAT RIVER STATION "RECENTLY DESTROYED BY FIRE."

2ND DEPOT BUILT: c. DECEMBER, 1945 PER "SUFFOLK COUNTY NEWS" ARTICLE OF 11/23/45 THAT READS "GREAT RIVER TO REPLACE THE FORMER DEPOT DESTROYED BY FIRE." REPLACEMENT BUILDING WAS A SMALL, ENCLOSED SHELTER WITH FLAT ROOF. ROOF REPLACED WITH PITCHED ROOF SOMETIME IN THE EARLY 1980s. DEPOT RAZED: 1998.

HI-LEVEL PLATFORMS AND SHELTER INSTALLED: 1999 TO ACCOMMODATE NEWLY-ARRIVED C3 BI-LEVEL CARS WHICH WERE PLACED IN SERVICE JULY, 1999. (Robert L. Myers data)  Research: Dave Keller

Emery Maps-MP44-MP45-Great River05-58.jpg (130966 bytes)
Emery Map Great River MP44-45 05-58 Archive: Dave Keller
ssrrclub.jpg (39817 bytes)
South Side Rail Road Club House Depot c.1878 View East
Photo:
George Brainard Archive: East Islip Historical Society

The milepost 45 in the photo was not the LIRR’s but the SSRR’s and, as their mileage was calculated from a different starting point, was off slightly from today’s MP45. 

Closed: 7/17/1884. (Closing date per George L. Weeks, Jr. in his 1965 book: “Isle of Shells”  Research: Dave Keller

 

 


Great River Station NE (rear view) towards Connetquot Ave.c.1910 Archive: East Islip Historical Society

GreatriverStationlookingWestc1925.jpg (71345 bytes)
Great River Station looking SW c.1925 with an eastbound train arriving Archive: East Islip Historical Society

Great-River-Station_Shelter-Shed_ViewW_ 9-28-1944_Weber-Morrison.jpg (102547 bytes)
Great River Station - Shelter Shed - Mail Crane - Section House location #4 map above. View W 9/28/1944 Photo: Fred Weber Archive: Dave Morrison

Great-River-Shelter-Shed_ 28Sept1944_Weber-Morrison.jpg (139546 bytes)
Shelter Shed zoom View W 9/28/1944 Photo: Fred Weber Archive: Dave Morrison

FireatGreatRiverRailroadStation_3-1945.jpg (88806 bytes)
Remains of the 1897 Great River Station  after the c.3/1945 fire. The volunteer fireman are holding the station sign. Archive: East Islip Historical Society

Suffolk-County-News_4-6-1945_Great_River-Station-fire.jpg (152987 bytes)
Great River Station fire
Suffolk County News 4/06/1945


Great River Station View SE towards Connetquot Ave. 1966 
Photo/Archive: Dave Keller   Replacement installed around 
c. 2000
Great-River-Shelter_viewN_12-23-16_PatMasterson.jpg (122298 bytes)
Great River Shelter view N 12/23/16 
Photo: Pat Masterson
Great-River-Shelter_12-23-16_PatMasterson.jpg (119560 bytes)
Great River Shelter view NW 12/23/16 
Photo: Pat Masterson
These images were borrowed from the East Islip Historical Society’s website, unless noted.  They have a number of my archival photos taken by Jules Krzenski posted on the site, however the only one of mine above is the Great River 1966 shot. Dave Keller