Salisbury Plains

 LIRR Central Branch Extension

 

qq426.jpg (42822 bytes)
View east from west of Carman Ave, behind Meadowbrook Hospital. Construction materials for the 
building of Levittown were delivered here at this siding known from 1948 C.R.4 as "C 24 Newbridge".  
Photo: Vincent F. Seyfried 1952

SALISBURY PLAINS:  WOODEN SHELTER SHED BUILT: c. 1916 USED TO STORE LUMBER DURING CONSTRUCTION OF 2ND DEPOT. RAZED: 1923 (?)
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 12/10/23, CLOSED: c. 1942-43 DUE TO WARTIME SECURITY OF TRAINS PASSING THROUGH MITCHEL FIELD TO GET TO THIS STATION STOP. DEPOT BECAME A RESIDENCE AFTER WWII (1947) AND LATER HOUSED A PRIVATE BUSINESS. TRACKS REMOVED: 1956. RAZED: c. 1990s

crlirr_farmingdale1873.jpg (202005 bytes)
Central Railroad of Long Island Extension 1873 Archive: Steve Lynch
northnassau1873.jpg (166202 bytes)
North Nassau Closeup - Central Railroad of Long Island Extension 1873 - Farmingdale Area Archive: Steve Lynch
central.gif (19118 bytes)
LIRR Central Branch Info: Roger Ramsdale
qqhwmap.jpg (48412 bytes)
Henry Wilhelm visited the area in 1942, 1948, and later. In 1945 the track ended behind Meadowbrook Hospital. In 1948, he noted the sidings for the Levittown constructions materials. 

C.R.4 October 1, 1948 Station "C 24 Newbridge" apparently siding installed for delivery of construction materials for Levittown
Huneke
qq415.jpg (21082 bytes)
Employee Timetable (ETT) No.2, June 21, 1942 showing track still ran 7.5 miles to Plain Edge and Pass Service to Salisbury (Plains)  Huneke
qq416.jpg (20695 bytes)
Employee Timetable No.3, September 20, 1942.
Branch cut back to Meadowbrook Hospital, Service cut back to Mitchell Field  Huneke
qqnbfrt.jpg (27229 bytes)
In 1951 there were occasional deliveries for Levittown.
Huneke
qqspex.jpg (43018 bytes)
View looking west toward Salisbury Plains Station in left background. Photo: Vincent F. Seyfried 1952  
1952vfseastofCarmanAve.jpg (57602 bytes)
View looking east toward Levittown Water Tower in distance from east of Carman Ave. Photo: Vincent F. Seyfried 1952
Station-Salisbury Plains (Former Trackside View NE) - 04-01-79 (Madden-Keller).jpg (150832 bytes)
This front view is looking NE on April 1, 1979.  The station was on the north side of the tracks and where the photographer stood to take the photo would have been about where the tracks once were.  The platform was at the base of the doors and bay window brickwork, with the parking lot in this image at a lower elevation than when tracks ran here.   (William Madden photo / Dave Keller archive)
Station-Salisbury Plains_8-09-1964_maske.jpg (76183 bytes)
The original grade AND concrete platform were still in place 
8/09/64 in this view looking NW.  Right after WWII, a young couple lived in the building.  When photographed, it appears that some commercial enterprise had occupied it and really messed up the looks of the building.  (William Madden photo / Dave Keller archive)
Ex-Ocean Electric Car 15 Eastbound-New Sta Under Constr-Salisbury Plains-View NW-1923 (Keller).jpg (91423 bytes)
This photo shows the building under construction back in 1923.  An Ocean Electric trolley is operating the eastbound shuttle from Garden City.  Both trolley poles are down as the car was equipped to run using third rail current.  You can see the depot was quite picturesque with the arches, through which were the stairs leading down to whatever parking facilities there were at the time.  In the later images, those arches were cement-blocked up as was the bay window.  At the far right is the original depot, a wooden shelter-shed that appears to have been used during the construction period to house building supplies and keep them out of the weather.
An ex-Ocean Electric trolley bound for Salisbury Plains runs past new base housing at Mitchel Field c. 1928 (Dave Keller archive).jpg (133392 bytes)
An ex-Ocean Electric trolley bound for Salisbury Plains runs past new base housing at Mitchel Field c. 1928 (Dave Keller archive)
Station-Salisbury Plains (View NW) - c. 1940 (Huneke).jpg (66533 bytes)
Salisbury Plains Station c. 1940 View NW.  Note the station sign still in place at the right. (Art Huneke archive)
Station-Salisbury Plains as Private Residence - 1947 (Huneke).jpg (95543 bytes)
After WWII, the depot served as a private residence for a time.  This view is 1947. Note the Spanish-style roof tiles from the previous c. 1940 image are gone in this image and have been replaced with roof felt.

Station - Salisbury Plains (View NW) - 07-27-53 (Slade - Huneke).jpg (88077 bytes)
The door has been bricked shut and a small section of Spanish roof tiles are still in place.  The resident couple who were there in 1947 appear to have moved out by the time William Slade too this photo on 7/27/53.  (Art Huneke archive)

Station-Salisbury Plains and Abandoned Trackage (View W) - 07-27-53  (Slade-Huneke).jpg (88545 bytes)
View looking west on 7/27/53 with overgrown tracks still in place, platform lamps still standing and an abundance of nature everywhere!  (Wm. Slade photo / Art Huneke archive)  
Station-Salisbury Plains -12-1962_Makse3.jpg (100049 bytes)
Salisbury Plains Station  View NW 12/1962 
(Richard Makse / Dave Keller)
Station-Salisbury Plains -12-1962_Makse2.jpg (106924 bytes)
Salisbury Plains Station  View W 12/1962 
(Richard Makse / Dave Keller)
Station-Salisbury Plains -12-1962_Makse1.jpg (68389 bytes)
Salisbury Plains Station rear view SE  12/1962 
(Richard Makse / Dave Keller)
Station-Salisbury Plains (Rear View SE) - 04-01-79 (Madden-Keller).jpg (182965 bytes)
The rear of the station building as it looked on April 1, 1979.   The tracks and station platform were in line with the base of the added cement blocks shown on the addition to the building at the far right.  You can see where nature has taken over with quite a number of trees that weren't there in 1962! (William Madden photo / Dave Keller archive)  
lirr extension.jpg (181457 bytes)
Ex-LIRR ROW Jerusalem Ave. to Hicksville Rd., Levittown 
Research: Steve Lynch from Bing Maps
levittown ROW zoom.jpg (219914 bytes)
Ex-LIRR ROW at Wantagh Ave., Levittown
Research: Steve Lynch from Bing Maps

I'm curious as to whether there ever was a ticket agency here, otherwise why bother to build a bay window?  Perhaps there were intentions of an agency and it never happened, or . . . it may have had an agency for a short period of time. . . . Nobody around to know this anymore. But it was originally just a wooden shelter-shed so somehow someone felt there was a need to build such a substantial structure for a "nowhere" station stop at the time . . . A full lower level plus a full upper level!  If the upper level were a waiting room and possibly a ticket office, I wonder what the lower level housed?

After its initial opening sometime around 1916., ex-Ocean Electric trolleys ran shuttle service between here and Garden City, all through WWI and for some years after, having been converted to third rail operation.  They were replaced by an MP41 MU car, and, later, the one car by two MP41 cars, which were then replaced by two MP54 cars:  Salisbury Plains station saw both Ocean Electric cars and the single MP41 car in shuttle service.  By the start of WWII, service to this station stop permanently ceased

"Ruckus over old rail site"  8/18/2016 (NEWSDAY- Dave Morrison)