LIRR 19th Century

22nd Regiment Infantry NY Volunteers-LIRR Condr. Frank Erthal-Camp Black-Garden City, NY-5-24-1898.jpg (93058 bytes)
22nd Regiment Infantry NY Volunteers LIRR Condr. Frank Erthal Camp Black Garden City 5/24/1898

Islip
ssrrislip_c.1868.jpg (95858 bytes)
South Side Railroad - view SE Islip 1868-1876 

S.S. R. R. DEPOT BUILT: 1868
2ND DEPOT BUILT: 1881 
RAZED: 12/1963

islip-station-1908.jpg (75421 bytes)
LIRR Islip Station 2nd depot built: 1881
Photo: view NE 1908 Archive: Stony Brook University, NY Thanks to: Dave Morrision 
islipdepot-viewE-1910.jpg (33374 bytes)
Islip station and shelter View E 1910
2nd track 1908
Station house south side 1868-1950

The first Main track was relocated further north on Winganhauppage Creek feeding (Brookwood Hall Lake) to the current location just south of Moffitt Blvd. 1906

South Side Sportsmen's Club 
SSRR's Club House station, which was located just east of the Montauk Highway overpass west of Oakdale, across from the Connetquot Park which was the former location of the South Side Sportsmen's Club (hence "Club House" station).

The view is looking east at SSRR MP45 (milepost).  The Bayard Cutting Arboretum today would be at the right. When the LIRR took over the SSRR, they had to reset the mileposts, hence the slight variation in MP locations.

SSRR-GreatRiver-SportsmanClub-Depot_GeorgeBrainerd-BrooklynPublicLibrary-1879.jpg (40312 bytes)
Patchogue
SSRR-PatchogueTurntableEnginehouse-view-NEfrom TuthillsCreek_c.1869.jpg (49382 bytes)
SSRR turntable and enginehouse view E from Tuthills Creek c.1869
Collection: SUNY, Stony Brook
Thanks to: Dave Morrision 
S.S.R.R. NEW TERMINAL IN SVC: 4/1869. 220’ LONG, 2-STALL TRAIN
SHED / DEPOT OPENED: 8/1869.
RAZED: 1888.
2ND DEPOT OPENED: SUMMER/1888,
RAZED: 5/16/63
ssrrwestpatch-viewNW.jpg (53317 bytes)
South Side RR Train Shed c. 1870

Patchogue station sketch view E c.1888
PatchogueDepot-viewNW.jpg (41855 bytes)
Patchogue station view NW c.1900
Patchogue opened Summer, 1888
Garden City
Station-Garden City-CRRLI-c.1878-1.JPG (106631 bytes) Station-Garden City-CRRLI-c.1878-2.JPG (119109 bytes)
Garden City Station - Central Railroad of LI c.1878
Station-Garden City-CRRLI-c.1878-3.JPG (114847 bytes)
Woodside 

Flushing & North Side-Train-East at Sta-58th St & 38th Ave.-Woodside-c. 1872.jpg (120684 bytes)
Flushing & North Side eastbound at Sta-58th St & 38th Ave Woodside c. 1872

The original station that was constructed for the Flushing & North Side RR (train of which you see in the image), a competitor of the LIRR who eventually took over that line and turned it into their Port Washington branch.  The depot was opened on 11/15/1869 so it's rather new in this image c.1872.  The depot lasted up until 1914 when it was closed with the grade crossing elimination project for the new and elevated location of Woodside that we all know today and which was opened for service on 10/17/1915 some distance east of the original station site.   

The original 1869 depot remained standing until it was razed on 11/17/15 after the new facilities were in use and the old station location cleaned up of construction debris.  

In this image the two posts adjacent to the locomotive tender hold a sign that reads "RAILROAD CROSSING- LOOK OUT FOR THE CARS".  The crossing was actually BETWEEN those two poles like an old-style football goal post.  You can't make out the actual road due to the snow.  Archive/Research: Dave Keller

Station-Woodside_c.1880.jpg (49399 bytes)
Woodside Station c.1880

WOODSIDE: MAIN LINE FLUSHING & NORTH SIDE RAILROAD
DEPOT OPENED: 11/15/1869
CLOSED: 1914 DUE TO GRADE ELIMINATION, RAZED: 11/17/15
ELEVATED STRUCTURE OPENED
FURTHER EAST: 10/17/15

 

Station-Woodside-1906.jpg (91782 bytes)
Woodside Station 1906
Central Islip 
Station-Central-Islip-Agt-Frank-Kelly-c.1910.jpg (79149 bytes)
Station Central Islip Agt-Frank Kelly c.1910 
Station-Central-Islip-c.1885.jpg (85552 bytes)
Station Central Islip c.1885 
Station-Central-Islip-Agt-Frank-Kelly-c.1895.jpg (79246 bytes)
Station Central Islip Agt Frank Kelly c.1895
Mineola
Station-Mineola-c. 1900.JPG (47433 bytes)

Station-Mineola-c._1900_small.JPG

Station-Mineola-Junction-Train-c. 1885 (Hi Res).jpg (55532 bytes)
Station Mineola Junction c.1885
Station-Mineola Junction-c. 1878- East (Brainard - Keller).jpg (44221 bytes)
Station Mineola Junction c. 1878 
view E Photo: Brainard Archive: Dave Keller
Lindenhurst
Station-Lindenhurst-SSRR Bldg-1891.jpg (70586 bytes)
Station Lindenhurst SSRR Bldg 1891
LINDENHURST SERVICE BEGAN ON 10/28/1867 AS WELLWOOD. ORIGINAL 2-STOREY, WOODEN DEPOT WITH FRONT VERANDAH-STYLE COVERED PLATFORM AND PORTE COCHERE AT REAR. BUILT ON
SOUTH SIDE OF TRACKS AND EAST OF WELLWOOD AVE. RENAMED "BRESLAU": 1869.
Station-Lindenhurst-SSRR Bldg-Train-Condr. Burchill-Trainman Lawrence-1897.jpg (49828 bytes)
Station Lindenhurst SSRR Condr. Burchill, Trainman Lawrence 1897 
STATION NAME CHANGED TO "LINDENHURST": 1891. TICKET BAY EXTENDED TO FULL WIDTH OF VERANDAH-STYLE PLATFORM. DEPOT DESTROYED BY FIRE ON 1/22/1901.
Jamaica
Jamaica-Station facilities looking W-c. 1905.jpg (110139 bytes)
Jamaica-Station facilities looking W 
c. 1905 Archive: Dave Keller

1st depot built: c. 1836 as terminus (“Old Jamaica”) of LIRR remodeled 1869 and 1872. 

2nd depot placed in service after LIRR acquired SSRR. The SSRR depot was moved to the west side of the main line station in 1877, although the LIRR utilized the former SSRR stop, now renamed "Jamaica Southern" in timetable eff. 6/17/1877 only, for LIRR trains on what was then termed the "Old Southern Road" to eliminate the need for a reverse move to stop at the main line station while trains continued to stop at this location as late as 1913, there was no indication of a new depot structure until possibly 1905, when electrification may have moved the station stop slightly east of the original. Dave Keller

Engines
D53b-116-c. 1890.jpg (56558 bytes)
LIRR class D53b #116 c. 1890
4-4-0-No.86-Two-Trains-Jamaica-c.1890.jpg (73374 bytes)
4-4-0 #86 Jamaica c.1890
D52-32-Inspect Coach 200-Supt WS Potter-Carman's River-Yaphank-1897.jpg (67205 bytes)
LIRR class 52 loco #32 Inspection Coach #200 
Supt WS Potter Carman's River Yaphank 1897
 
4-4-0 No. 92 at Bicycle Crossing east of Holtsville.jpg (44302 bytes)
4-4-0 No. 92 at Bicycle Crossing east of Holtsville
BB&WE 2-4-0t No. 5-Greenwood Cemetery, Bklyn - 1886.jpg (75172 bytes)
BB&WE 2-4-0t No. 5 Greenwood Cemetery, Bklyn  1886
4-4-0-Loco-Pulling-Mail-Car-and-Train-c.1900.jpg (55784 bytes)
4-4-0 pulling mail car and train c.1900
lirr45_American4-4-0-c.1870+.jpg (54732 bytes)
LIRR "old" #45 built by Schenectady c. 12/1870+ Most probably a builder's photo from the Schenectady works (later became part of ALCO)  
The OLD #45 was built by Schenectady in December, 1870, and had a cycle of 15 x22 with 60" stroke.  It was renumbered to #8 in 1898. Also, someone thought the same thing, because they typed at the bottom the cycle of 15 x 22 although they have the stroke as 69" instead of 60" . . . probably a typo, or a miss-read on their part from a roster listing D55a-77-Train-East-Hampton-1899.jpg (51946 bytes)
DLIRR class D55a #77
East Hampton 1899
Stations
Station-Amityville-1898.jpg (48618 bytes)
Amityville 1898
Baldwin-station_c.1906.jpg (73271 bytes)
Baldwin c.1906 colorized post card
ex: SSRR station
Station-Calverton-c. 1895.jpg (44676 bytes)
Calverton c. 1895
Station-Cedarhurst - c. 1900.JPG (36064 bytes)
Cedarhurst c. 1900
Station-College Point-c.1880.jpg (58309 bytes)
College Point c.1880
Station-GlenHead-c1870.jpeg (37708 bytes)
Glen Head c.1870
Station-Hewlett-c. 1890.jpg (47392 bytes)
Station Hewlett c. 1890
Station-Interior-LICity-1892.jpg (68225 bytes)
Station Interior LI City 1892
Station-Manhasset - c. 1900.jpg (31792 bytes)
Station Manhasset  c. 1900 
Station-Oriental Hotel-2-4-4t 211 with train-c.1893.jpg (63364 bytes)
Station Oriental Hotel #2-4-4t 211 with train c.1893
Station-Syosset - c. 1900.JPG (59192 bytes)
Station Syosset c. 1900