LIRR CHRONOLOGY  1926

 

Feb. 25, 1926 Long Island Electric Railway Company sold at foreclosure; passes out of LIRR system.

 

Feb. 25, 1926 New York & Long Island Traction Company sold at foreclosure; passes out of LIRR system; reorganized as Queens-Nassau Transit Company in March 1926, but franchises taken by private bus operators.

 

Mar. 1926 J.G. Brill Company delivers second LIRR diesel #402 after unsuccessful tests on PRR's Delaware Avenue line.

 

Apr. 1, 1926 Pullman Company assumes operation of LIRR parlor car service; 19 LIRR parlor cars converted to coaches. (AR)

 

Apr. 14, 1926 PRR Board authorizes enlargement of LIRR waiting room at Penn Station. (MB)

 

Apr. 21, 1926 PT&T Board authorizes construction of cab ramp from 8th Avenue & 33rd Street ($139,583), enlarging LIRR waiting room Apr. 21, 1926 PT&T Board authorizes construction of cab ramp from 8th Avenue & 33rd Street ($139,583), enlarging LIRR waiting room  ($156,310), passageway from LIRR Concourse to Main Waiting Room ($26,494), and passageways for LIRR to Platforms No. 9 & 10 ($51,226). (MB)

 

July 3, 1926 PRR and LIRR run a total of 775 trains totaling 6,124 cars from New York; 14 extra sections on Northeast Corridor southbound and 12 northbound; 18 to NY&LB. (NYT)

 

Aug. 12, 1926 Violent thunderstorms and heavy rains flood East River Tunnels, forcing a suspension of all LIRR and PRR service at 9:00 PM; other washouts on LIRR. (NYT)

 

Sep. 9, 1926 Ocean Electric Railway abandons service over LIRR between Hammel and Far Rockaway. (AR)

 

Oct. 20, 1926 LIRR begins electric service between Valley Stream and Mineola via West Hempstead, between Floral Park and Mineola, (AR - and between Country Life Press and Salisbury Plains? - no elect in teens).

 

Nov. 30, 1926 14 Class BB3  electric switchers built at Altoona for service on Bay Ridge Branch delivered to LIRR. (NYT)

 

Dec. 6, 1926 PT&T authorizes space for concessions in LIRR Waiting Room at  

Penn Station. (MB)

 

Early 1926 Montauk Company, one-quarter owned by LIRR, sells land at Fort Pond Bay to Montauk Beach Development Company for development. (LIRR AR)

 

1926 LIRR writes off stock of Ocean Electric Railway, Nassau County Railway and Montauk Steamboat Company, Limited. (AR)

 

1926 LIRR abolishes Marine Dept. and places vessel operation under Assistant Superintendent. (AR)

 

1926 LIRR double-tracks Long Beach Branch between East Rockaway and Wreck Lead. (AR)

 

1926 LIRR installs automatic signals and train control on North Side and Whitestone Branches. (AR)

 

1926 Extra shops built and concourse widened between LIRR Concourse and General Waiting Room at Penn Station. (CE)