Penn-Station-Montauk_Going-Fishing-print_Rudolph-Hoffman_c.1930s.jpg (73524 bytes)
Penn Station to Montauk "Going Fishing" print c.1930 Rudolph Hoffman

Montauk Station 1985

ticket-Montauk-New-London_Excursion-Sample_1940_BradPhillips.jpg (56360 bytes)
Excursion sample ticket Montauk - New London, CT 1940 
Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket-Montauk-Brooklyn_Excursion-Sample_BradPhillips.jpg (43292 bytes)
Excursion sample ticket Montauk - Brooklyn Archive: Brad Phillips

LIRR fan trip 05/15/1966 view from Montauk Manor. The dormitory car was parked in Montauk yard for crew layovers. The railroad installed a bumper in front of the 
car to avoid accidental couplings to regular trains. Info: John Fusto
Montauk1895-1926emery.jpg (46578 bytes)
Montauk 1895-1926 Emery Map
Dave Keller Archive


Montaukmp114-115_post1942emery.jpg (226601 bytes)
Montauk MP114-115 c.1942+ Emery Map Dave Keller Archive
montauk.gif (4805 bytes)
1950 Track Capacity LIRR P-54 Pass Cars

Montauk, NY early 1900's  


montaukcattledrive-c.1955.jpg (104190 bytes)
The view of the depot is looking northeast and shows the relationship between the 2nd (1927) and 3rd (1942) depot buildings as well as the short distance the LIRR terminal was moved south in 1942 when the U. S. Navy took over the LIRR’s former property.

The shot with the cattle round-up is c. 1955 and you can see that the 1927-era depot in the left background has already had its long covered platforms removed.  The old, wooden freight house is across from the 1942-era depot. Archive: Art  Huneke
Info: Dave Keller

G5s-RPO-Parlor-Car-Train-Montauk-c.1930.jpg (35040 bytes)       G5s-RPO-Parlor-Car-Train-Montauk-c.1930-close-up.jpg (47225 bytes)
PRR K4s with RPO car and heavyweight parlor cars arrives eastbound at station – Montauk, NY –c.1932

(Per Art Huneke:  The configuration of the power reverse and the air reservoir indicate that the engine in question is a K4s and not a G5s.)

PRR-K4s-5414-Montauk-08-07-38 (Keller).jpg (76326 bytes)
PRR K4s #5414 lays up with another Pennsy locomotive (which is flying white "extra" flags) in the old yard at Montauk - 8/07/1938.  In 1942 the yard would be relocated slightly south and reconfigured as the U.S. Navy would take possession of the former yard and terminal location.  (Dave Keller archive and data)

K2s, K3s and K4s locomotives began replacing G5s locomotives making Montauk runs after the heavier “K4 bridge” (as it was nicknamed) was installed over Shinnecock Canal and placed in service in June, 1931.

This depot, the 2nd one at Montauk, was constructed in 1927 parallel to the end-of-tracks, bumpers of which can be seen in front of the depot.  Also visible is the keystone station sign hanging from the eaves.  This was all removed in 1942 and moved slightly south, with a newer (3rd) depot constructed parallel to the end-of-track when the U. S. Navy took over the LIRR property for a torpedo base on Fort Pond Bay.  This 1927-era depot (rebuilt and missing one covered platform) still stands on the grounds of a condominium complex which has been built on the former U. S. Navy site.  Dave Keller archive/research

H10s-109-Psgr-Train-West-at-Montauk-c.1947.jpg (70602 bytes)
LIRR #109 H10s passenger train WB Montauk c.1947 
Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

montauk_c.1910.jpeg (32606 bytes)
Montauk, NY c.1910
Dave Keller 


WaterTower-PsgrCars-Montauk-c.1955large.jpg (51022 bytes)
FM CPA20-5 #2004 backing baggage and RPO/REA cars onto wye to couple onto west end of train for return trip. 3/19/55. Part of old water tower in view at far left. Note brakeman riding the end car and giving hand signals to the engineer. Montauk Manor Hotel in background. Dave Keller archive
lirr217_train4011_The-Sundowner_Navy-Road-Crossing_Montauk_6-23-68.jpg (84786 bytes)
LIRR #217 train  #4011  "The Sundowner"  - Navy Rd Crossing, Montauk view E 6/23/68
The topography of the railroad just west of Montauk was the perfect location to capture a portrait of a long Sunday train departing the Fort Pond terminal in the shadow of the grand Montauk Manor.

And no train fit that image better than The Sundowner as it sped through The Hamptons into the gloaming at Westhampton on summer Sundays. In June, 12 cars and one locomotive were sufficient for the run but July and August brought 15 and sometimes 17 cars to the limited that had sole proprietorship
of Hunterspoint Avenue on weekends.

Indeed, in the absence of an East Side Manhattan terminal, Hunterspoint Avenue was the origin of dozens of limousines on Sunday, with these elegant liveries provided through an ad hoc arrangement with the railroad's Special Services Department. Photo/Archive: Richard Makse

LIRR Prestige Train of all Parlor Cars #4011 headed by ex-D&H RS-2's #1520 and #1519 departing Montauk 9/1963 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke
montaukbeachposterManorHotel.jpg (121874 bytes)
Montauk Beach poster featuring the Montauk Manor Hotel c. 1927 Archive: Steve Lynch
PRR-K4s-5336-Westbound-Old-Sta-Montauk-c.1932-DaveKellerArchive.jpg (103561 bytes)
PRR K4s #5336 westbound Old Montauk Station  c.1932 Archive: Dave Keller
lirrW80Montauk04-70.jpg (63175 bytes)
LIRR W80 Montauk 04/1970
Photo/Archive: Dave Keller
montaukc.1905.jpg (47116 bytes)
Montauk c.1905
There is no electricity as is evidenced by the Dietz kerosene platform lamp on the station wall past the door. The wire you see is the telegraph line. Info: Dave Keller, Archive: Dave Morrison

montaukDKeller.jpg (13200 bytes)
Distant shot of the depot in this photo, you can make out the vestiges of the overhanging eaves at the former 1st level roof as the structure continues above and out back. Archive/Info: Dave Keller

montaukAHuneke.jpg (36767 bytes)
2-story photo shot above shows a length accommodating 3 equally-spaced windows deep and this is 3 equally-spaced (almost) windows deep. 

Art Huneke suggests this rear area was added in 1898 which is most likely as the Army Camp created  quite a bit of growth out there around that time. Info: Dave Keller, Archive: Art Huneke

About 50 years later.

Montauk Station History
Info: Dave Keller

BUILT: 1895, REMODELED TO 2ND STOREY: c. 1907, RAZED: 1927

TO END OF TRACK: 6/1/27, 




montaukAHunekeJimOsborne.jpg (40467 bytes)
Jim Osborne began his LIRR career in 1921 and the photo he took of Montauk would have been shot anywhere between 1921 and 1927; prior to when the structure came down for the 2nd depot perpendicular to the end of track.
Info: Dave Keller, Archive: Art Huneke

PRR_K4s719-Montauk-c.1937sideview.jpg (79276 bytes)

PRR_K4s719-Montauk-c.1937.jpg (103272 bytes)
Leased PRR K4s #719 and train is laying up eastbound at the bumper block of the 1927-era station facilities at Montauk, NY c. 1937. Notice the crossover switches slightly behind the tender, allowing the train to be pushed slightly west after all passengers have gotten off, engine and tender cut off the train, then over the crossover switches onto the south passenger track, heading west to access the wye for turning for the trip back. These facilities were taken over by the U. S. Navy in 1942 to build a torpedo-boat base and the LIRR facilites were moved slightly south to their present-day location with all new tracks, new yard and new depot. One major change was that the similar style depot building was constructed parallel to the tracks as opposed to this layout stubbing out perpendicular to the structure. Dave Keller archive



G5s-37-Old Station-Montauk-c.1931.jpg (34372 bytes)
G5s #37 has just pulled into the north platform of the old (2nd) Montauk depot (see covered platform of station at end-of-track) c. 1931 

After the "K4" bridge was opened over Shinnecock Canal in June, 1931 it was extremely rare to find a G5s at Montauk . . . . 

While I don't have an "official" date on this shot, I'm saying c. 1931 because of the fact of the K4 bridge opening in July and the pin-striping on the engine and tender, which was ordered to be discontinued effective June 13, 1932.

This could have been taken anytime between 1929, the build-date and June, 1931, when K4 locomotives took over the Montauk runs.

I'll go on the outside edge and say it was shot just before the bridge opened as it is not shiny and new-looking . . . .as though it's just been delivered. 
Archive/Info: Dave Keller

FM2006 at Montauk
"Handing up Train Orders?"

The "crew" posing for a moment

FM-1506-1504-Train-Montauk-c1958.jpg (55211 bytes)
FM H16-44 #’s 1506, 1504, doubleheading train eastbound at station platform  Montauk, NY c. 1958.
Conductor in blue uniform on platform.  Engineer Richard L’Hommedieu in cab of  lead unit. Collection: James Caramore Archive: Dave Keller

CPA20-5-2004-Backing Baggage-RPO-REA Cars onto Wye-Montauk-3-19-55.jpg (78746 bytes)
LIRR #2004 CPA20-5 Backing Baggage, RPO/REA cars onto Wye Bunkhouse at left View SW 03/19/1955 Archive: Dave Keller

lirrCannonballtrain5_montauk7-29-68richmakse.jpg (45204 bytes)
July 29, 1968: Bob Emery backs the 12 cars (note six parlors) of train #5, The Cannonball, into Montauk Station. It's barely daybreak and Bob's primary piece of flagging equipment, a white handkerchief, works just fine. The Mattituck is the rear car of #5. Bob and I frequently worked parlor trains together. 
Photo: Richard F. Makse

Station-Montauk-Ticket Office-Last Day of Year-Round Agency-01-21-72 (Keller-Keller) (2).jpg (76002 bytes)
Montauk Station Ticket Office - The last day of the Year Round Agency 1/21/1972 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller


Station-Montauk-Block Operator's Desk-Last Day of Year-Round Agency-01-21-72 (Keller-Keller).jpg (78546 bytes)
Montauk Station Block Operator's desk was, as usual, situated in the trackside bay window.  Ticket windows were 90 degrees to it, facing east into the waiting room. The last day of the Year Round Agency 1/21/1972 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller
Station-Montauk-Ticket Office-Last Day of Year-Round Agency-01-21-72 (Keller-Keller) (1).jpg (72273 bytes)
Montauk Station Ticket Office - The last day of the Year Round Agency 1/21/1972 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller

montaukfreighthousemap.jpg (228783 bytes)
Montauk Station area 2010

MontaukMap_station-photo-views2012.jpg (131939 bytes)
Montauk Stations locations 2012 Courtesy: Al Castelli
MontaukStations_FlamingoAve_viewSW_07202012AlCastelli.JPG (69933 bytes)
Montauk Station (1)  Flamingo Ave view SW 07/20/2012 Photo: Al Castelli
MontaukStations_FirestoneRd_viewSW_07202012AlCastelli.JPG (55900 bytes)
Montauk Station (2) Firestone Rd view SW 07/20/2012 Photo: Al Castelli

Montuak_wheelmarksinroad_FirestoneRd_0720201AlCastelli.JPG (61259 bytes)
Wheel marks in Firestone Rd from when a GP38-2, I believe, overran the end of the track and went across the road  0720201 Photo: Al Castelli

montaukfreighthouse.jpg (36935 bytes)
1942 Freight House moved from its
original location to Industrial Rd. c. late 1960's
montaukfreighthouseindustrialrd1994.jpg (61391 bytes)
Montauk Freight House on Industrial Rd. 1994 Photo: John Fusto

Montauk_formerfreighthouse_IndustrialRd_viewN_07202012AlCastelli.jpg (80959 bytes)
Freight house now a private residence view N 7/20/12 Photo: Al Castelli

wyeeastendMontauk_JohnFusto.jpg (91765 bytes)
East leg of wye, view S/SE from station platform Photo: John Fusto
LIRR-Montauk-wyeswitch-07212011_Al-Castelli.jpg (143053 bytes)
Montauk wye switch view S 07/21/2011  Photo: Al Castelli

montaukwye3-21-08MikeMcDermet.jpg (88294 bytes)
South leg of wye, view N from Industrial Rd. 03/21/2008
Photo: Mike McDermet

lirrDM30-511-531Montauk08212011JonLebowitz.jpg (108644 bytes)
LIRR DM30AC  #511 #531 Montauk View W 08/21/2011 
Jon Lebowitz
LIRR-Montauk-wye-07212011_Al-Castelli.jpg (80312 bytes)
Montauk End of south leg of wye view SW 07/21/2011 Photo: Al Castelli
lirrMontauk-C3coach-5013-08212011ViewSEJonLebowitz.jpg (132553 bytes)
LIRR C3 coach #5013 Montauk 
View SE 08/21/2011 
Jon Lebowitz
lirr409-DE30AC_Montauk-Layover_viewW_8-07-2010_WilliamJSkeats.jpg (386173 bytes)
LIRR #409 DE30AC Montauk 
layover view W 8/07/2010 
Photo: William J. Skeats


lirr518-DM30AC-MontaukViewSE-08212011JonLebowitz.jpg (152817 bytes)
LIRR DM30AC 518 Montauk View SE 08/21/2011 Photo:
Jon Lebowitz

lirr-C-3_Bi-Level_cab_car_Montauk_12-27-13_Gurney's-Inn_RonYee.jpg (73039 bytes)
LIRR C3 coach #508 Montauk view E  towards Gurney's Inn 12/27/13  
Photo: Ron Yee

Montauk-Special_Hampton-Express-Timetable_5-1927.jpg (600447 bytes)


Hampton Express through Parlor Car service between Pittsburgh and the Hamptons/Montauk. Timetable 5/1927,at left, indicates Pittsburgh to Washington, D.C. 

Through Parlor Car service between Washington, D.C. and the Hamptons/Montauk. Timetable 6/26//1927 at right.

ticket-Easthampton-Amagansett_Montauk-Dater-Die_10-13-61_BradPhillips.jpg (65921 bytes)
Ticket - Easthampton to Amagansett Montauk Dater Die 10/13/61
Archive: Brad Phillips

Washington-Montauk-timetable_6-26-27.jpg (270965 bytes)

Ticket-Montauk-Penn-Station_c.1968.jpg (57639 bytes)
Ticket - Montauk to Penn Station c.1968
Archive: Brad Phillips