Sag Harbor Branch
Data and images courtesy of Dave Keller unless as noted.

 

1870-LIRR-map_Manor-Sag-Harbor.jpg (666514 bytes)
Montauk Branch constructed from Manorville to Eastport then on to Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor in 1870. There was no connection 
at Bridgehampton to Montauk until 1895.

 


The Sag Harbor Branch was built in 1870 and ran 35.25 miles from Manor on the main line to Sag Harbor . As shown on this 1879 map there was no railroad line running east of Patchogue. Bellport was served by a main line Bellport station which became Bartlett when Patchogue to Eastport Junction was built and Bellport received its own station. Map/ Info: Art Huneke
Gas Car Shuttle Svc-Sag Harbor Br- ETT No. 4 - 09-15-35 (Keller).jpg (286271 bytes)
Gas Car Shuttle service  ETT No. 4 - Sag Harbor to Bridgehampton - 9/15/1935
SAG HARBOR BRANCH MAPS

Montauk Branch MP94-95.jpg (171267 bytes)
Emery map Montauk Branch MP94-95 Sag Harbor Branch cutoff

Emery-Sag-Harbor_MP95-96.jpg (95204 bytes)
Emery Sag Harbor MP95-96

Emery-Sag-Harbor_MP96-97.jpg (43028 bytes)
Emery Sag Harbor MP96-97
Emery-Sag-Harbor_MP97-98.jpg (103197 bytes)
Emery Sag Harbor MP97-98
Map-SagHarborBr-MP98-End-of-Track keller.jpg (218611 bytes)
Emery Sag Harbor MP98 to end of track
Sag-Harbor-Branch_Emery-composite-map.jpg (761860 bytes)
Emery Sag Harbor Branch composite map MP94-MP98 to end of branch -  Design: Steven Lynch

 

BRIDGEHAMPTON

OPENED: 6/1870, BURNED: 7/6/1884 
2ND DEPOT BUILT: 1884, AGENCY CLOSED: 1958, DEPOT CLOSED: 1/59, RAZED: 5/64
3RD DEPOT WITH HI-LEVEL PLATFORMS BUILT: 2000-2001
 

 

Station-Bridgehampton-View S - c. 1910 (Keller).jpg (92047 bytes)
Bridgehampton Station view S c.1910

 

Station-Bridgehampton-View SW -09-20-58 (Solomon for PSC-Keller).jpg (95357 bytes)
Bridgehampton Station view SW 9/20/58 (Solomon for PSC-Keller)
Station-Bridgehampton-Sag Harbor Covered Platform-View E - c. 1925 (Osborne-Keller).jpg (106906 bytes) Gas Car-PRR-Leased-4744-Sag Harbor platform-Bridgehampton-1936.JPG (45674 bytes)
PRR-leased gas car #4744 is laying up at the designated Sag Harbor platform across from the  Bridgehampton depot. View is looking east from the rear of a moving westbound train.  Bridgehampton depot is at the right – 1936.  These gas cars were used wherever the LIRR needed them in shuttle service.  One even ran on the Patchogue – Babylon “Scoot” for a period of time.  (Wm. Moneypenny - Dave Keller) 

 

Bridgehampton station looks quite forlorn on this cold, winter's afternoon with snow on the ground. (above left) The view is east from the westbound high-level express platform.  The depot building is at the right with the double-bladed "BH" semaphore signal out front.  The eastbound express house is in the distance.  At the left is the designated Sag Harbor platform which sports a small shelter from the elements.  At the far left, an express car has been set out.  This image is from c. 1925, so the block office at "BH" was still in service, as evidenced by the semaphore blades still in place and steam locomotives were still making runs up the spur to Sag Harbor.  It's possible the express car was brought down from Sag earlier in the day by a local freight and spotted on the siding to be picked up by a westbound Montauk train. Note the twisted light fixture on the platform lamp closest to the camera at the right.  This was probably done intentionally to provide some directed light onto the express platform. (James V. Osborne photo, Dave Keller archive)

 


Bridgehampton Station view W from Rear of Train  6/20/55 (Faxon, Jr.-Keller)

 

Station-Bridgehampton-View E - 06-20-55 (Faxon, Jr.-Keller).jpg (81771 bytes)
Bridgehampton Station view E  6/20/55 (Faxon_Jr.-Keller)

Signal-BH Block Limit-Bridgehampton-View E - 04-1970 (Keller-Keller).jpg (87983 bytes)
Signal BH Block Limit - Bridgehampton view E 4/1970 (Keller-Keller)

 

Bridgehampton Station Shelter Sheds - Night Exposure view SW 7/30/76
 (Madden-Keller)

 

NOYACK ROAD

IN SERVICE: 1906 AS “LAMB’S CORNER” (per “East Hampton Star” via Richard Makse)
APPEARS IN SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS OF ETT #49: 9/09/1908 AS “ NOYACK ROAD .” (Art Huneke data)
SHELTER SHED BUILT: 1922. OUT OF SVC: 5/03/39 AND RAZED WITH BRANCH ABANDONMENT.  

Station-Noyack Rd.-Sag Harbor Branch - c. 1923 (Osborne-Keller).jpg (108335 bytes)
Noyack Rd. Station - Sag Harbor Branch c.1923 (Osborne-Keller)

 

SAG HARBOR

TEMPORARY TICKET OFFICE OPENED IN FREIGHT HOUSE:  5/1870.

1ST DEPOT UNDER CONSTRUCTION AT END OF AND PERPENDICULAR TO THE TRACK: 12/21/1870.   OPENED:  1/1871.  DEPOT WAS  FOUND TO ENCROACH ON THE  STREET AND THE BLDG WAS  MOVED BACK A SHORT DISTANCE IN 2/1871.  BURNED:  1/1873 AND REPLACED. (The burning is suspect data from V. Seyfried,
based on photographic evidence to the contrary unless original depot was replaced after a fire by an identical bldg).    

DEPOT EITHER ENLARGED ON ORIGINAL SITE OR ENLARGED AFTER BEING MOVED TO S. SIDE OF TRACKS.  DEPOT MOVED:  1902.  (Photographic evidence from 1903 shows an enlarged depot building well-weathered. Enlargement of the structure may have been made PRIOR to the 1902 move.)  
DEPOT RENOVATED: 10/1908, WHEN MONEY FOR NEW DEPOT WAS DONATED. (This is suspect data from V. Seyfried and makes no sense s construction for a new depot began the following year [1909]).  OLD DEPOT USED AS TEMPORARY FREIGHT / STORAGE BLDG AFTER NEW STATION OPENED IN 1910, BUT BASED ON A VALUATION BLUEPRINT, WAS GONE BY c. 1920.

NEW BRICK DEPOT OPENED: 1910, AGENCY CLOSED: 1932.  STATION AND STOP OUT OF SVC:  5/3/39 WITH BRANCH ABANDONMENT: 5/3/39. IN PRIVATE USE INTO THE LATE-1950’s/EARLY 1960s WHEN IT WAS OFFERED FOR SALE .  STRUCTURE RAZED: 1966

**EXPRESS HOUSE BUILT: 1900.  RELOCATED OFF-SITE AFTER 1939 AND NOT USED FOR DECADES (BASED ON PHOTO EVIDENCE).  IN PRIVATE USE IN RECENT YEARS (2003+)

**FREIGHT HOUSE BUILT:  ? RELOCATED OFF-SITE AFTER 1939 FOR PRIVATE USE.

 

Station-Sag Harbor-View SW-1878 (Brainerd-Huneke).jpg (45271 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station view SW 1878 (Brainerd-Huneke)

 

Station-Sag Harbor-View NW - 1903 (Fullerton-Keller).jpg (135380 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station view NW - 1903 (Fullerton-Keller)

 


Station-Sag Harbor-0-4-6T 327-View E - 1903 (Keller).jpg (102310 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station 0-4-6T #327 view E -1903 Archive: Dave Keller


Sag-Harbor-station_near-completion-1910_viewNW_2nd-depot-far-right.jpg (56918 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station near completion 1910 view NW, 2nd depot at far right.

The original depot was constructed at the end of track, with the tracks perpendicular to the depot building, like 2nd Montauk and today's Port Washington and Long Beach. Several years later, the depot was jacked up, rotated 90 degrees and moved to the south side of the tracks a short distance west of end of track, and parallel to the main.  The brick depot was constructed in 1910 just west of the relocated older depot. Research: Dave Keller

Station-Sag Harbor-View SE-c. 1925 (Osborne-Keller).jpg (80484 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station view SE c.1925  (Osborne-Keller)

 

Brill Gas Car 1134 at Sta - Sag Harbor-04-1939 (Keller Archive).jpg (70369 bytes)
Brill Gas Car #1134 at Sag Harbor station 4/1939

Station-Sag Harbor-View S-1958 (Seyfried-Keller).jpg (61826 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station view S 1958 (Seyfried-Keller)

 


Sag Harbor station 8/05/1963 Photo: Brad Phillips

Station-Sag Harbor-View N-1964 (Schneider-Keller).jpg (64170 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station view N - 1964 (Schneider-Keller)

Station-Sag Harbor-View S-1964 (Schneider-Keller).jpg (58964 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station view S -1964 (Schneider-Keller)

 

Sag-Harbor-Freight-House_c.1930_closeup_Huneke.jpg (40979 bytes)
Sag Harbor Freight House c.1930 close-up Archive: Art Huneke 

 

Sag-Harbor-Station_Freight-House_c.1930_Huneke.jpg (52980 bytes)
Sag-Harbor Station and Freight House c.1930 Archive: Art Huneke
SAG HARBOR EXPRESS HOUSE
Sag-Harbor-Express-House_c.1918_Huneke.jpg (186957 bytes)
Sag Harbor Express House c.1918 Archive: Art Huneke 
Sag-Harbor-Station_valuation-blueprint_c.1916-1923_Huneke,jpg.jpg (88219 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station valuation blueprint c.1916-1923 Archive: Art Huneke

 

Sag-Harbor-express-house_private-location_1968_DaveKeller.jpg (62723 bytes)
ex-Sag Harbor Express House at private location 1968
ex-Sag-Harbor-Express-House_viewE_1984.jpg (66548 bytes)
ex-Sag Harbor Express House view E 1984 
Sag-Harbor-Express-House_viewE_7-15-15_Morrison.jpg (69433 bytes)
Sag Harbor Express House view E 7/15/2015 Photo: Dave Morrison
Sag-Harbor-Express-House_7-15-15_Morrison2.jpg (86005 bytes)
Sag Harbor Express House view E 7/15/2015 view NE Photo: Dave Morrison
Sag-Harbor-Express-House_interior_7-15-15_Morrison.jpg (68833 bytes) Sag-Harbor-Express-House_interior2_7-15-15_Morrison.jpg (65982 bytes)
Sag Harbor Garden Center was established in 1996 - 11 Spring Street, Sag Harbor, NY 11963