Pennsy E6s on turntable 21Sept36.jpg (59246 bytes)
E6s with a PRR tender 09/21/1936. 
Photo: Robert Emery  Data: Dave Morrison
Oyster Bay Turntable

Panorama View c.1900
View the center to see the turntable with roundhouse to the left (east)

Obaytable_Feb1992SteveTorborg.jpg (50046 bytes)
Oyster Bay Turntable 02/1992
 Photo: Steve Torborg

LIRR RS3 #1560 Oyster Bay turntable Photo/archive: Art Huneke

LIRR G5s #50 - P70 club car #811 Oyster Bay turntable 1954 Photo/archive: Art Huneke
 Oyster Bay Historical Society Spring 2001 Edition of the Freeholder
In the Spring 2001 edition of the Freeholder, Walter Karppi wrote an interesting article explaining the history, function and operation of railroad turntables.  In essence, the turntable was used to turn steam locomotives in the opposite direction for a return trip.  Walter discussed the Danbury Railroad Museum ’s turntable and the way crowds gathered around to watch the operation.  He likened the Danbury turntable to what the Oyster Bay turntable will be when it is restored and placed into service as part of the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum’s facilities.
Turntable Karppi 01.jpg (72056 bytes)
Turntable Karppi 02.jpg (239848 bytes)
Page 1
Turntable Karppi 03.jpg (277388 bytes)
Page 2
Turntable Karppi 04.jpg (243237 bytes)
Page 3
Turntable Karppi 05.jpg (262004 bytes)
Page 4
Long Island Sunrise Trial Chapter - NRHS The185th Anniversary of the Long Island Rail Road
Dave Morrison's, LIRR Historian, article discusses the numerous LIRR turntables, function, and location with photos.

The Oyster Bay turntable

Oyster Bay drwg turntable.jpg (113439 bytes)The turntable now in the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum’s yard is actually the second turntable at this location. The LIRR reached Oyster Bay in 1889, having been extended from Locust Valley . That turntable had been in Locust Valley since 1869 and after 20 years, it was moved with the expansion of LIRR service to Oyster Bay . A four stall enginehouse was built in the same year. The turntable was located northwest of the engine house. In 1904 the old turntable was torn out and a new 70 foot long turntable was installed north of the engine house. In this connection, see the sketch below drawn by the late LIRR Conductor Bob Emery, whose collection of maps, drawings and photographs is at Stony Brook University

FM-CPA24-5-2402 on Turntable-Oyster Bay - 03-14-53 (Faxon-Keller) Seq 3.jpg (82857 bytes)FM CPA24-5 #2402 on Oyster Bay turntable 3/14/1953 (Faxon-Keller)

OBayturntable2008.jpg (71373 bytes)The turntable restoration now at the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum’s yard. 07/27/2008 Photo: JJ. Earl  




JJEarlandMarkSmithLIRR35scab.JPG (100982 bytes)JJ. Earl (l) and Mark Smith (r) 07/2008




Oyster-Bay-turntable_viewW_2-73_SteveRothaug.jpg (114693 bytes).Oyster Bay turntable - view W 2/1973 Photo: Steve Rothaug

Turntable Controls - Oyster Bay - 08-21-73 (Madden-Keller).jpg (115843 bytes) Turntable Controls - Oyster Bay 8/21/1973 (Madden-Keller)

OB enginehouse D56 out front 4-4-0 steam locomotive 27 showing.jpg (64110 bytes)The engine house lasted until it was demolished on August 4, 1929 .  No engine house was built afterwards.  There is only one known existing photograph of the  Oyster Bay engine house. Collection: David Keller




lirr29OBayJohnKrause08-12-48.jpg (62092 bytes)The 1904 turntable was originally powered by a pneumatic motor.  The turntable operator would hook up a hose from the air compressor of a nearby steam locomotive to the turntable motor, which then could be operated by air pressure.  Railroad historian Art Huneke has an LIRR 1945 Depreciation document showing that the Oyster Bay turntable was electrified in 1932.  It was operated by electric motor until it was taken out of service sometime in the 1970s.  The photo, taken by John Krause on August 12, 1948 shows steam locomotive #29 being turned on the Oyster Bay turntable. 

The Oyster Bay turntable, is in the planning stages of a full restoration. For the years that this turntable was in operation, it was basically open to public view.  Engineers such as the late Cecil Craft would often allow eager kids to ride on the front running board of his steam locomotive from the station down to the yard and then he’d allow them to stay on the locomotive while it was being turned on the turntable.  In fact, the LIRR made it a policy to allow children to view the turntable operation.  In LIRR Transportation Notice #1330 issued on August 3, 1965 the LIRR employees were advised as follows:

Oyster Bay Turntable * Station Agent will meet group [school children from Queens Public School #40] and conduct tour of Oyster Bay facility where they will witness the turning of Engine #516.  Crew should be advised to delay the turning of Engine a few minutes to allow the group to get down to the turntable.  110 containers of milk at 10 cents each…

Image 05 children turntable.jpg (144931 bytes)Significant to this article is a photo that appeared in the Summer 2002 Freeholder article on the history of the Oyster Bay Train Station.  That photo shows school children at the Oyster Bay turntable in the mid 1950s. Collection: Arthur Huneke




Fieldtrip_OBay_viewSW.jpg (102008 bytes)Another photo that shows a field trip of school children at the Oyster Bay turntable c.1953-54. Collection: Gary Frakas

Letter when cleaning up my office inside the Oyster Bay ticket office during the late 1990s. It has been damaged, but I guess that adds an air of authenticity to the document.

The letter had the ticket validator stamp on the reverse side 8/05/1965

The top of the letter has a pencil-hand-written note: "...Small girl injured while boarding train at Union Hall Street.  Fell between train and platform..."  Archive: Dave Morrison

OBayTurntable-letter1965front.jpg (244174 bytes) OBayTurntable-letter1965back.jpg (40840 bytes)
lirr-yard-oyster-bay_5-13-86_EdwardHand.jpg (88161 bytes)
Oyster Bay yard- turntable 5/13/1986 Photo: Edward Hand
Oyster Bay turntable bridge - 2017
Photo/Archive: Andrew Ciavarella

Oyster Bay turntable pit 2017
Photo/Archive: Andrew Ciavarella

Oyster Bay turntable - 2017 Photo/Archive: Andrew Ciavarella

The 3 phase-240 volt power comes in from the provider to our circuit panel where an independent circuit goes to the TT lockout panel box where the ground and 3 power conductors go up to the top of the pole. These wires are then strung across the top of the TT bridge arch (4 wires).

The 3 power and 1 ground wires are tapped to provide a connection into the non-moving brushes which send power through the 4 moveable brass circular rails. These rails are insulated from each other and each one has a stud at the very top where individual wire conductors are connected to send power from the collector box at the top of the arch down through one leg of the arch directly to the motor.  At this point, the motor is connected to the control stand by wires underneath the stand.

The motor has a series of wires which then get connected to the resistor bank to enable forward and reverse drive. Info Gary Farkash