Click for:  
Patchogue page 1 
PD Tower Gone 1912-2006

PD Signal History
PD Crew Messages 1929-42
Q&A on Patchogue Operations with J.J. Earl



PATCHOGUE Depot:  PatchoGue (1903 CR4 - Formerly “P”) Used as train order call letters until construction of "PD" Tower, 1912. Remained in use as station call letters. Because Patchogue depot was PG, already in place, and after the tower opened as PD, the depot remained and retained PG to handle daily telegraph communication to differentiate the tower from the depot when sending and receiving non-block-related telegrams.

The original purpose of the tower was to protect the crossing of the tracks by the Suffolk Traction Company's tracks, with derails installed north and south of the LIRR's tracks with the traction company's tracks heading south towards the dock. Research: Dave Keller 

OceanAve-viewW_c.1905.jpg (32313 bytes)

Ocean Ave view W pre-PD Tower c.1905 Archive: Dave Keller

Form 19-PG-Patchogue - 04-06-1906 (Keller).jpg (108805 bytes) Form 19 Order 4/06/1906 for "PG":

To C/E (conductor/engineer )No. 504
To C/E Eng. 224

Nr. 503 five hundred three will meet no. 504 five hundred four and extra west Eng. 224
two twenty four at Islip. Made complete by operator Webb.

(Train #503 is a westbound and is meeting eastbound train #504 and eastbound extra D16b locomotive #224. Both eastbounds are being advised by this order that they are to meet the westbound at Islip.)  

History of Train Order Forms 19
Archive/Research: Dave Keller

Form 31-PG-Patchogue_Eng.-Amott_10-30-1907 (Keller).jpg (119448 bytes)

Form 31 Order 10/30/1907 for "PG" 

To C&E No. 195

No. 192 has right over no. 195 Eastport to Patchogue. Made complete by operator Hulse.
Signed for by conductor Powles (?) and engineer Amott.

(Conductor and engineer of westbound train #195 are being advised by this order that eastbound train #192 has the right over their train from Eastport to Patchogue. Being a Form 31, both are required to sign for receipt of this order.) Archive/Research: Dave Keller

History of Train Orders
Archive/Research: Dave Keller

PD TOWER  May 29, 1912 - August 22, 2006

PD TOWER: Located on the south side of the tracks at the east end of the station platform and west side of South Ocean Ave. crossing for protection of LIRR tracks crossed by the Suffolk Traction Co., bound for Patchogue dock. 

Call letters possibly refers to Patchogue Dock or, possibly, Patchogue Derail, as a derail was an integral part of a Trolley crossing interlocking, and, although this was a storage battery car line, derails were still required when crossing LIRR tracks at grade. It's been bandied about that the call letters refer to Patchogue Depot which really doesn't work as the calls for Patchogue station  were "PG" (see train orders above) before the tower's construction and remained the calls for years after. And why would the LIRR refer to a tower as a depot? 

Saxby & Farmer 20 lever mechanical machine in service: 5/29/12. 2-lever US&S model 6 electrical locked semaphore indicator and circuit controller in service: 1913 Interlocking rebuilt and two TC style 1-lever table machines added designated “l” and “R” to control train movements over hand operated switches installed in raised locations in SE and SW corners of  the tower, in service: 9/28/17.  Suffolk Traction Co. out of service: 1919. Tower retained for LIRR use. TC machines out of service: c. mid-1930s (?)  Saxby & Farmer 20 lever machine replaced by electronic control panel: 1991. Out of service: 5/8/2006. Razed: 8/22/06  (Data, per photos and interlocking blueprints, kindly provided by Art Huneke. Date of removal of interlocking plant courtesy of LIRR Block Operator: Chris Soundy)  Research: Dave Keller

 LIRR #266 GP38-2 passing PD Tower eastbound 1996
In 1912, the Suffolk Traction Company built a track down Ocean Avenue and across the LIRR. A twenty lever interlocking machine and frame tower were installed to protect the crossing. These are some excerpts of the legal agreement, 5/07/1912. Archive: Art Huneke
Suffolk Traction Co-Installing tracks-switch-4-Corners-Patchogue-1910 (view NW).jpg (128388 bytes)
Suffolk Traction Co, installing track turnouts at Four Corners, Patchogue 1910 view NW (Thos. R. Bayles collection, Dave Keller archive)

Suffolk-Traction_Patchogue-N.Ocean-Ave-southbound_Car-3_1-1915.jpg (96264 bytes)
Suffolk Traction Co. Car  #3 at Ocean Ave View NW  1/1915 Emery Collection/Archive: SUNY- Stony Brook

PD-Ttraction-agreement_Huneke.jpg (257207 bytes)
Suffolk Traction Co. and LIRR agreement 5/07/1912. Archive: Art Huneke
LIRR-LocoRestrictionOnCurvesArtHuneke.jpg (27796 bytes)
Loco Curve Restriction: c.1912-1913 PD "Tower" was placed in service May, 1912.  CR4 March 1, 1913 does not list this siding. Archive: Art Huneke, Info: Dave Keller

Interlocking-PD_6-03-1912_ incorrect-tower-location.jpg (58083 bytes)
Interlocking PD 06/03/1912 Sheet #32 Note: Incorrect tower location 

Interlocking-PD_9-28-17.jpg (70899 bytes)
Interlocking PD 09/28/1917 Sheet #36 Archive: Art Huneke


Interlocking-PD-H.Wilhelm-Map_8-7-1921.jpg (72990 bytes)
Interlocking PD - H. Wilhelm Map 08/07/1921 -  Map stitched by Steven Lynch 10/2012

Tower-PD-Patchogue-3-18-30.jpg (38216 bytes)
PD Tower 3/18/1930  Semaphore signals replaced 1940 (James V. Orborne photo, Dave Keller archive)

Emery-Patchogue-PD-Tower_5-1958_SUNY-Emery.jpg (272943 bytes)
Patchogue - PD Tower 5/1958 
(Emery-SUNY Stony Brook)
pd1947fredweber_morrison3.jpg (40173 bytes)
Ocean Ave View South  1947 
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
From 1939 it appears that "PD" Tower controlled the tracks extending from an unmeasured point west of Atlantic Ave., and west of Reid's Ice Cream siding (unnumbered signal indicated- perhaps  S484, to a point 5,113 feet east of South Country Road, or 2,023 feet east of Signal S551. (Signal S551 is indicated at 3,090 feet east of South Country Road.) Quite a stretch of track!  Author: Dave Keller
AlBunker_PD1932_jvosborne.jpg (42423 bytes)
Al Bunker, block operator, at PD Tower levers March, 1930 view E
(J.V. Osborne photo, original image 
at Queensboro  Public Library)
Form-19-PD-Al-Bunker-3-30-30.jpg (68967 bytes)
Form 19 train order written and signed by Al Bunker;  the same month and year that the photo was taken of him leaning against the levers. 3/30/1930
PD-Tower_Floor-Plan-Patchogue-1968.jpg (192100 bytes)
PD Tower floor plan 1968 indicating Armstrong Lever location 
Research/Design/Archive: Dave Keller
You can see from the time that this order was issued and made complete that he was the 2nd trick operator there at the time; AND it was a weekend as the trains are numbered with the prefix “4”  Research/Collection: Dave Keller
PD - Levers - 1971.jpg (70060 bytes)
PD Tower Levers - 1971
PD - OPR AT LEVERS - 1971.jpg (66865 bytes)
PD Tower Lever operator 1971
PD_Dave Keller_1971.jpg (51552 bytes)
PD Dave Keller 1971 at the desk Archive: Dave Keller
LIRR General Order (GO) no. 932  4/22/1963 Archive: Art Huneke
LIGO932a.jpg (9591 bytes)
LIRR General Order (GO) No.932
April 16, 1963 

LIGO932b.jpg (24346 bytes)
GO No.932 April 22, 1963 Ringhouse track taken out of service

LIGO932c.jpg (38127 bytes)
GO No.932 April 22, 1963 Lace Mill turnout taken out of service

lirrGO932.jpg (138811 bytes)
General Order No. 932 4/16/1963
Archive: Art Huneke
lirr2001-CPA-20_PD-Tower_westbound_9-63_ArtHuneke.jpg (35492 bytes)
LIRR #2001 CPA-20 westbound approaching 
PD Tower 9/1963 Photo: Art Huneke

PD Tower view W c. 10/1966 - early '67, the back of the #2038 "Setauket" on a LIST-NRHS excursion, the car was tacked onto the back of the morning Montauk run one Saturday Photo: Steve Hoskins
PDtower01-72.jpg (105732 bytes)
PD Tower PRR Position light signals 01/1972 
Photo: Dave Keller
lirr-608_passing-PD_headed to siding for turn_6-75_ViewE_Huneke.jpg (109549 bytes)
LIRR FA #608 PC (power car) eastbound passing PD Tower headed into the North Siding Track (Schoolhouse Track)  for the return trip.  6/1975 Photo: Art Huneke
Last-steam-special_OceanAve-viewW_11-26-1967.jpg (37610 bytes)
Last Steam Special Ocean Ave 
view W 11/26/1967
9-18-83patchogue.jpg (31576 bytes)
PD Tower  eastbound GP38-2 #273 09/18/1983
PDordersJoeSaullo09-98.jpg (71547 bytes)
LIRR #262 PD hooping orders  09/18/98 Photo: Joe Saullo
lirr268PDJoeSaullo09181998.jpg (76509 bytes)
LIRR #268 eastbound after hoop order pickup 09/18/1998 Photo: Joe Saullo

LIRR #252 Cannonball at PD Tower c.1995
Photo/Archive: William H. Birkholz

View E  2001 Photo: Steve Lynch

View W 2001 Photo: Steve Lynch

PD Tower at Ocean Ave E view 2001
PD8-12-2006.jpg (117986 bytes)
View E  8/12/2006 prior to demolition 8/23/2006
PDChrisSoundyHoopingtoCondr05-04-06.jpeg (131246 bytes)
Block Operator Chris Soundy hooping some of the last orders from “PD” tower to the Conductor of eastbound DE-30ac #420 Photo:Pat Masterson 5/4/06
PDsign05-04-06.jpg (31660 bytes)
PD Sign 05/04/06
PD-birdhouse.jpg (79821 bytes)
BDH "PD BirDHouse" Tower  
Photo: "Jersey" Mike

PDtower-GObirdhouse.jpg (86837 bytes)
General Order No. 2001 BDH Tower 08/23/2006

PDtower.jpg (90842 bytes)
PD Tower MTA rendering
by Mike Maione c. 1980's 
PD 2006.jpg (54716 bytes)
PD Tower 3 Light signals in use 04/2006
Underwood_PatchogueAdvance06-17-1932.jpg (40725 bytes)
Patchogue Advance 06/17/1932
Underwood_PatchogueAdvance08-12-1932.jpg (44644 bytes)
Patchogue Advance 08/12/1932
Underwood_PatchogueAdvance01-13-1933.jpg (35290 bytes)
Patchogue Advance 01/13/1933
Underwood-PatchogueAdvance_11-12-1937.jpg (60651 bytes)
Patchogue Advance 11/12/1937
Underwood_PatchogueAdvance11-19-1937.jpg (48309 bytes)
Patchogue Advance 11/19/1937
Patchogue-UnderwoodCoal-Coke-10-43_F.Weber-DaveKeller.jpg (232356 bytes)
Underwood Coal Co. 10/1943 view W of  River Ave.  Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
Underwood Coal Co. ads running in the Patchogue Advance weekly newspaper 1937 - At this time the telephone exchange had gone to 3 digits (536)
Underwood_PatchogueAdvance11-18-1954.jpg (42390 bytes) Underwood_PatchogueAdvance10-04-1956.jpg (12848 bytes)

Underwood-PatchogueAdvance_4-27-61.jpg (22026 bytes)

RDC1-2-RPO Car-River Ave-Patchogue-4-6-63.jpg (71476 bytes)
Budd RDCs 1 & 2 heading eastbound past Underwood Fuel with RPO car in tow, approaching River Avenue crossing, Patchogue, NY. 4/06/1963  Photo: Wm. Lichtenstern Archive: Dave Keller
Underwood Fuel Co. ads running in the Patchogue Advance weekly newspaper  1954-1961  - At this time the telephone exchange has gone to 7 characters GR 5-3600
PELCO - (Patchogue Electric Light Co.) PELCO built 1899
earlyPELCO_c.1900.jpg (30469 bytes)
PELCO c.1900
1926SanbornPatchogue.jpg (182334 bytes)
1926 Composite Sanborn Map area west of  Ocean Ave. 

The small building east of  PELCO reads, 1 Pump. Outside (perhaps) as follows: "Finished Floor Construction Except Exposed Steel BR(ICK)-W(AL)LS  Conc(rete) Fl(oor) & P(ainted) F(inish)"

PELCO Patchogue Sanborn map 10/1926

Patchogue-Electric-Light-Co.-ad_1910_JohnJett.jpg (70710 bytes)
Patchogue Electric Light Co. ad 1910
Archive: John Jett

  PELCO-electric-ad_Patchogue-Advance_7-28-55.jpg (87721 bytes)
PELCO Electric ad - Patchogue Advance 7/02/1955

PELCO_ViewNW_8-03-41_Emery-SUNY.jpg (118903 bytes)
PELCO View NW  8/03/1941 Photo: Robert Emery Archive: SUNY - Stony Brook 

Patchogue-RiverAve-PELCO-5-43.jpg (86140 bytes)
PELCO Plant in background 
view E of River Ave.  05/1943
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller

PELCO-line-crew-truck_Conklin-Ave._JohnJett.jpg (65854 bytes)
PELCO line crew truck - Conklin Ave. 
Archive: John Jett

PELCO Plant 1954 view NW
Collection: Dave Keller

PELCO_c.1960.jpg (46036 bytes)
PELCO Plant c.1960 view N

ex-PELCO-LILCO-electric_Patchogue_2016.jpg (118207 bytes)
Aerial view 2016 ex-PELCO site became LILCO site



Week's Coal & Wood view SE

Week's Coal & Wood view  SW

Week's Coal Ramp 1954
Collection: Dave Keller

DaytonHedgesCoalFeedReceipt_4-30-1910.jpg (153568 bytes)
Dayton Hedges Coal/Wood & Feed/Hay receipt 4/30/1910

Dayton-Hedges-Coal-Feed_Rider-Ave_viewNE_ c.1910_John-Jett.jpg (70842 bytes)
Dayton Hedges Coal & Feed, Rider Ave 
View NE c.1910 Archive: John Jett

patchogue coal & feed.jpg (48943 bytes)
Patchogue Coal & Feed Co. - formed 11/29/1911 stock certificate

Gas Company. c. 1906 later owned by LILCO view SW
Patchogue - South - Rider Ave. Xing - 5-43.jpg (74858 bytes)
Swezey Coal & Feed, Rider Ave. View S  5/1943
Archive: Dave Keller
Patchogue - North - Rider Ave. Xing - 5-43.jpg (79755 bytes)
Swezey Coal & Feed, Rider Ave. View N  5/1943
Archive: Dave Keller
Patchogue_Potter-Ave-Crossing_viewW_5-43.jpg (42870 bytes)
Swezey Coal & Feed, Potter Ave crossing view W 05/1943

patchrotary1968ziel.jpg (85565 bytes)
LIRR Rotary Plow #193 westbound 1968 at Swezey Fuel - Rider Ave. view SE
  Photo: Ron Ziel
Collection: SUNY, Stony Brook 

Swezey Fuel Oil View SE  2001
Photo: Steven Lynch

Swezey Fuel View E c. 1985
Photo: Steven Lynch

Swezey Fuel  Oil, Rider Ave View SE  2001
Photo: Steven Lynch

Swezey Fuel View E  2001 Photo: Steven Lynch


Swezey-Fuel-Oil_viewNE_9-2017.jpg (86511 bytes)
Swezey Fuel Oil View NE 9/2017


Hiscox-Chemical-Works_viewSW-patchogue.jpg (115738 bytes)
Hiscox Chemical Works est. 1875
view SW built 1902 here

Hiscox-Chemical-Works_Shampoo-Ad.jpg (53030 bytes)
Parker's Hair Balsam "LAVO" changed to "GLYCOLEN"

Knickerbocker view SE 1906
Knickerbocker Brewery (built c.1894) 

Rider Ave W view 2001


Rider Ave crossing view W 2001
"Fence Track" siding

Knickerbocker-Ice-Co._south-side-rear_ViewE_c.1970s_JohnJett.jpg (85403 bytes)
Knickerbocker Ice Co. south side rear View E c.1970' s Photo: John Jett

Queensboro Ice Co. View W
Destroyed in fire 11/1984

Rider Ave crossing view NW 2001 ex-site of Ice Companies Photo: Steve Lynch

Buildings north of LIRR by Fence Track - Academy St./Rider Ave. view SW 2001 Photo:  Steve Lynch
Vrooman-Coal_SW-c.1910_patchogue.jpg (119290 bytes)
Situated alongside the LIRR tracks at the crossing of Potter Avenue is the interesting coal silo of the Wood &  Vrooman Patchogue Coal Pocket and adjacent lumber yard.  View is looking SW c. 1910.  For many years a landmark trackside, the building was destroyed by fire on May 6, 1964.    

Case-Sons-Supply_ViewE_c.1940_JohnJett.jpg (62327 bytes)
W. B. Case and Sons Supply View E 04/24/46  (Fred Weber photo, John Jett archive)


Patchogue-Bay Ave Xing-West-4-24-46.jpg (62924 bytes)
Vrooman Coal - View W from Bay Ave 4/24/1946
Archive: Dave Keller

Patchogue_Bay-Ave_ViewW_Raynor.jpg (88119 bytes)
Ex-siding to Case Suffolk Corp - Plumbing Supplies
Bay Ave View W (Raynor-Morrison)
Emery_Patchogue_MP53-54_5-58.jpg (357539 bytes)
Emery map 5/1958 MP 53-54  Patchogue River to Evergreen Ave, Patchogue

Patchogue-Evergreen-Ave_Reich-Bros-Trucking-siding_viewE-1939_Weber.jpg (104123 bytes)
Evergreen Ave View E - Whistle post for Grove Ave eastbound - Reich Bros. Trucking siding at left MP54 in background - 1939 Photo F. Weber Archive: SUNY-Stony Brook

Reich-Bros-Trucking-Co-warehouse c.1980_John_Jett.jpg (55797 bytes)
Reich Bros Trucking Co. warehouse c.1980 view NE at Evergreen Ave. Photo/Archive: John Jett

Emery_Patchogue_MP54-55_5-58.jpg (113896 bytes)
Emery map 5/1958 MP 54-55  Grove Ave to Middle Island Rd. (now Hewlett Ave), Patchogue

Patchogue-Grove-Ave_viewE-1939_FredWeber.jpg (55275 bytes)
 Grove Ave view E 1939 Photo F. Weber Archive: SUNY-Stony Brook

Patchogue_Grove-Ave_bell_MP54_viewW.jpg (76994 bytes)
Grove Ave.  MP54 bell  view W  Photo F. Weber Archive: SUNY-Stony Brook
Emery-Patchogue_South-Country-Rd_pre1930.jpg (41380 bytes)
Emery Patchogue at South Country Rd  pre-1930
Archive: SUNY-Stony Brook

Patchogue South Country Rd 1-19-1930 view east.jpg (95780 bytes)
Patchogue South Country Rd  view E 1/19/1930

Patchogue South Country Rd looking west. 1-19-1930.jpg (73340 bytes)
Patchogue South Country Rd  view W 1/19/1930

Patchogue South Country Rd shanty close up.jpg (119548 bytes)
Patchogue South Country Rd  Crossing Shanty close-up view E 1/19/1930

Patchogue South Country Rd diamond sign.jpg (68011 bytes)
Patchogue South Country Rd Diamond Crossing sign  close-up view E 1/19/1930
Patchogue South Country Rd shanty car.jpg (65391 bytes)
Patchogue South Country Rd  
Crossing Shanty close-up view W 1/19/1930 
Patchogue - South - South Country Road Xing Shanty - Closeup - 4-46.jpg (62143 bytes)
Patchogue South Country Rd  Crossing Shanty close-up view SE 4/24/1946
Patchogue-S.Cntry Rd Xing-Mail Crane-West-4-24-46-Close-up.jpg (73779 bytes)
Patchogue South Country Rd - Mail Crane, Crossing Shanty View W 4/24/1946 
The bells were for additional crossing protection. . . probably at times when the crossing was unmanned.  See attached images above.  South Country Rd has the bell staff mounted in 1930 and later attached to the crossing sign in 1946.  

Emery's  South Country Rd. map represents a time PRIOR (pre-1930) to the crossing shanty being moved from the SE to the SW corner location. Chances are, the Crossing Shanty being located next to the mail crane caused a problem with the mailbag being tossed off in the same location . . .maybe it slammed into the shanty on more than one occasion and it was deemed prudent to MOVE the shanty as far away from the mail crane as was physically and practically possible. Info: Dave Keller

Ruland's-Marble-Granite-Work_north-Ocean-Ave_west-side_1911_Hans-Henke.jpg (81109 bytes)
Ruland's Marble & Granite Works N. Ocean Ave view W 1911 Archive: Hans Henke
Ruland-and-Smith_ad-memorial -works.jpg (57476 bytes)
Ruland & Smith Works Memorial ad (c.1875+) Pine Street (or Canaan Rd) later changed to N. Ocean Ave.
Note: Both Ruland's Marble & Granite and Roe & Sons Steel Tapes Co. (below) were not rail served.
Research: Steven Lynch 
Roe-Sons-Co_Hans-Henke.jpg (36926 bytes)
Roe & Sons Co. c. 1880+
Archive: Hans Henke
1898roe-catalogue_page6-7.jpg (164018 bytes)
Roe Catalog sample Pages 6-7
roe-Sons-Co_packing-slip_c.1900+_Hans-Henke.jpg (61568 bytes)
Justos Roe & Sons, manufacturers of steel tapes and measures (patented 1892) packing slip c.1900

In 1878 Justus Roe began the manufacture of steel tapes and reels for surveyor's use.

AckerlyPianoStore_c.1906.jpg (39485 bytes)
Ackerly Piano Store .1906


Ackerly-UprightPianoAd_c.1906.jpg (60662 bytes)
Ackerly Upright Piano Ad c.1906

Shand's  Feed & Hardware Main St. c. 1970

LIRR #2020 P74D Parlor "PATCHOGUE" Montauk Yard  5/15/1966  (Rugen-Keller)

Built by Pullman in 1926 as a 28 seat 1 drawing room parlor car. Sold to PRR and leased back to Pullman 12/31/1945. Withdrawn from lease 10/01/1956. 
Acquired by LIRR March 1961. Retired November 1966 after car was wrecked in a derailment; scrapped. Research: Jack Deasy

LIRR-Tug-Patchogue_LIC_10-44.jpg (74242 bytes)
LIRR tugboat "Patchogue" leaving the dock at Long Island City - View west towards Manhattan Island - October, 1944
(Fred Weber photo, Dave Keller archive)
Patchogue-timetable_6-22-52.jpg (329764 bytes)
Patchogue timetable 6/22/1952
Patchogue-timetable-reverse_6-22-52.jpg (351247 bytes)
Patchogue timetable back 6/22/1952
Mascot-Memorial-Day-Parade_Patchogue-1973_JohnJett.jpg (151868 bytes)
Mascot Memorial Day Parade -Patchogue 5/28/1973 
Photo/Archive: John Jett

A bit of Memorial Day LIRR whimsy: An early LIRR engine model 0-4-2 with the Long Island Duck tender mascot.
Dodge-City_Patchogue_post-card-front_c.1960.jpg (41310 bytes)
Dodge City: SW corner of Sunrise Hwy and Waverly Ave.  Patchogue Post card c.1960

Dodge-City_Patchogue_post-card-reverse_c.1960.jpg (35066 bytes)
Dodge-City-Train_Patchogue_c.1960_JohnJett.jpg (116599 bytes)
Dodge City train Patchogue c.1960 
Archive: John Jett

Dodge-City-Admin-Ticket_Patchogue_1959._JohnJett.jpg (167471 bytes)
Dodge City Admission Ticket 5/1959
Archive: John Jett

PD-noise-article-Newsday-21Aug2017_Morrison.jpg (287261 bytes)
Newsday: SHAKE, RATTLE AND RAIL Patchogue  Station noise 8/21/2017 Archive: Dave Morrison