MORRIS PARK STATION, RICHMOND HILL AREA,
MORRIS PARK SHOPS, DUNTON TOWER
MORRIS PARK TOUR 2009 

 


Morris Park Station c.1910

DD1-341, 348-Morris Park Shops-Old Sign-Tichy Scheme-View NW-Jamaica-10-06-51 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (109278 bytes)
DD1 #341, 348 Morris Park Shops 
Old LIRR Sign Tichy Scheme View NW 
10/06/1951 (Faxon-Keller)

 

 

 Morris-Park-yard_viewNE_1964_Bendersky.jpg (76934 bytes)
Morris Park yard view NE 1964 Archive: Jay Bendersky

Mparkturntablepostcard.jpg (74102 bytes)
Morris Park Yard c.1906 postcard 
Archive: Dave Morrison

Entrance-Sign_Morris-Park-Shops_11-08-55_Faxon-Keller.jpg (223703 bytes)
Entrance Sign Morris Park Shops 11/08/55 (Faxon-Keller)


      Morris Park Shops 
Photo: Steven Lynch c.1985

                                              MORRIS PARK STATION

Station-Morris Park-c.1910.jpg (102790 bytes)
Morris Park Station c.1910 view E Archive: Dave Keller

Station-MorrisPark-1912.jpeg (67330 bytes)
Morris Park Station 1912 with LIRR MP41 MU train eastbound at depot. Archive: Dave Keller

morrispark10-18-1910.jpg (67377 bytes)
** Morris Park Station 10/18/1910
Archive: McEnery

Morris-Park-Station_c.1939_ArtHuneke.jpg (457388 bytes)
Morris Park Station c.1939 
Archive: Art Huneke

It was called Morris “Park” because there was a beautiful park built at the rear of the depot.  Research: Dave Keller

 

** Morris Park Shops in distant left background. Elevated crossing shanty and shelter shed at left.  1886-era depot at right.  High–level, wooden platforms not yet installed.  Station stop out of service 11/1/39 and razed for grade elimination of Atlantic branch along Atlantic Avenue. This was one of the LIRR’s “rapid transit” stops which was discontinued as a result of the grade elimination project of 1939-1940. Info: Dave Keller

RICHMOND HILL
Station-Richmond Hill-c.1905.jpg (82585 bytes)
Richmond Hill Station c.1905

S.S.R.R. Depot built: 0405/1869 as “Clarenceville” used as a chapel on Sundays beginning 7/25/1869

Renamed Richmond Hill 10/11/1871

Razed due to elimination grade crossing at Jamaica Ave: 1923-24

2nd elevated depot built: 1923-24
In service: 6/18/24 Closed: ?

Discontinued as station stop: 3/16/98
Research:  Dave Keller


130th St., looking NW
Richmond Hill Storage Yard
1950

While not exactly in the venue of Morris Park or its shops, this turntable was located directly across from Morris Park Shops and the Montauk branch embankment (see map on this page).  It was considered part of the Richmond Hill Storage Yard (visible in the background) and was located east of the yard and just west of the trainmen’s bldg / yardmaster’s office, north of the tracks.  It was used to turn observation cars for the parlor car trains or inspection trains, so the observation end could face the rear at all times. Research:  Dave Keller

lirr222_227RichmondHill.jpg (68257 bytes)
LIRR C420 #227, #227 at View W, Richmond Hill 10/31/87 Photo: Kevin Gulau

MorrisPark-RichmondHill-PassengerYard_BLW660_steamC51_BillRugen-ArtHuneke_1950.jpg (78270 bytes)
Richmond Hill passenger yard view NE of  Photo: Bill Rugen 
Archive: Art Huneke

Mpark_trainmens-building_Keller.jpg (119810 bytes)
Morris Park Trainmen's building (Keller)

The Trainmen's building at the Richmond Hill Storage Yard is  seen here in this photo (above right) looking northeast on the north side of the Montauk branch embankment.  The building housed facilities for train crews awaiting their runs originating from the adjacent storage yard.  Men spent hours there eating their lunch, playing cards, napping, reading, yakking with each other and generally just killing time until they had to catch their trains.  The building had toilets, lockers, tables, benches and chairs.  In 1945 the tower was added atop to become the yardmaster's office to give him elevated visibility.  Directly east of this structure was the passenger-car-washing facility.  The Trainmen's building was demolished in recent years and was replaced with new passenger-car-washing facilities. (David Keller photo and archive)
lirrE51sa3daveKeller.jpg (38999 bytes)
E51sa #3 Morris Park Turntable c.1925 Archive: Dave Keller

(1) This photo shows the Semaphore signal bridge in the background which  displays the westward home signal for “R” (the tower that was located across from the Richmond Hill Storage Yard and which was taken out of service in 1928) and the eastward distant signal for “J” (the tower located on the west side of Jamaica station).  Info: Dave Keller

Tower-R-RichHillYd-1925.jpg (25093 bytes)
(2) This was “R” Interlocking Tower.  Morris Park  Shops to the left, Richmond Hill Storage Yard to the right, view looking northwest (LIRR west).  The signal bridge in the camelback shot above is located behind the photographer of this shot.  The pipe and covered conduit extending from the tower towards the feet of the photographer continue to the signal bridge to control its operation.  Photo: James V. Osborne, Archive: Dave Keller
MORRIS PARK SHOPS


MorrisParkShops1889.jpg (39430 bytes) 
Morris Park Shops 1889

lirr400_Morris-Park-Shops_9-27-55.jpg (101991 bytes)
LIRR #400 GE 44 tonner Morris Park Shops 9/27/55

Morris-Park_locoshopleft-steamshopright-viewE_1977_ArtHuneke.jpg (134409 bytes)
Morris Park Loco shop left - Steam shop right view E 1977 Photo/archive: Art Huneke

lirr2081_ex-EL-obsservation_Morris-Park-Shop_stall-10_view NE_7-07-70.jpg (191273 bytes)
LIRR #2081 ex-EL Observation Car Morris Park Shop stall #10 view NE 7/07/1970


LIRR G5s (4-6-0) #21 at Morris Park Shops Coaling Tower 10/26/1935 Front pilot stenciled: NL thus labeled for New York, LIRR service as the  engines were built by the Pennsy for LIRR service. The Pennsy at the time owned the LIRR and the LIRR, as with ALL the lines the Pennsy owned, got their equipment stenciled accordingly along with every other locomotive in the entire PRR system. Research/Archive: Dave Keller 

Notice the "NO SMOKE" sign on the left posted for the benefit of the hostlers as heavy smoke under that structure would cause it to billow all over and choke everyone around. There may have also been concern about the corrosive effects of constant engine exhaust on the wooden coal structure. Info: Ron Zinn


Morris Park Shops - 1952

Emery-Map-Morris-Park-Shops-1958.jpg (782687 bytes)
Emery map M
orris Park - 10/1958

morrispark1945.jpg (3182748 bytes)
Morris Park Shops - May, 1946
Photo: Ewing Galloway
Research: John Scala

Emery-Map-Jamaica-MP9-to-Sutphin-Blvd.jpg (792254 bytes)
Emery Map MP9 to Sutphin Blvd, Jamaica 
04/1959

richmondhillglendaletrackprofilemap.jpg (156756 bytes)
LIRR Glendale to Richmond Hill track profile map Collection: John Fusto

G5s-TurntableEnteringRoundhouse_MorrisPark_summer-c.1940ArchiveKeller.jpg (97039 bytes)
G5s entering roundhouse at Morris Park Summer c.1940 Archive: Dave Keller


LIRR #320
1939  switching the  turntable/roundhouse

lirr320A-1_06-29-49jimgillin.jpg (88010 bytes)
LIRR A-1 #320  Built by Baldwin Westinghouse 12/26 Photo: 06/29/49
Archive: Jim Gillin

G53sd-144(4-6-0)-withWedgePlow_MPShops-c.1935_archiveDaveKeller.jpg (77676 bytes)
G53sd #144 (4-6-0) with wedge plow at Morris Park shops c.1935 Archive: Dave Keller

lirr139_MorrisPark-turntable_1929.jpg (120144 bytes)
LIRR G53c #139 Morris Park Turntable 1929

MorrisPark_shops-roundhouse-turntable_1950_BillRugen.jpg (138687 bytes)
Morris Park turntable, roundhouse and shops 1950
view NW Photo: Bill Rugen Archive: Art Huneke

MorrisPark-turntable_viewNE-1950_ArtHuneke.jpg (125239 bytes)
Morris Park turntable view NE 1950 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

G5s-47-MPShops-3-31-40conveyorcoalingtower.jpg (60752 bytes)
Morris Park Shops 3/31/1940 
Conveyor to wooden coaling tower in background
Archive: Dave Keller

lirr312H-6sbMorrisPark.jpg (71304 bytes)
LIRR #312 H-6sb View NE
c. 1946 Archive: Jim Gillin

lirr400-MPark-SyReich-c1950s.jpg (91156 bytes)
Morris Park Yard c.1950s LIRR #400 Photo: Sy Reich, Collection: Ray Jensen
lirr403-VO660_Morris-Park_steam-smoke-washers-gone_viewNW_Spring1946.jpg (101573 bytes)
LIRR #403 VO660 Morris Park steam smoke washers removed view NW Spring 1946
lirr257_C51sa_Morris-Park_01-16-49_BillRugen-Huneke.JPG (85342 bytes)
LIRR #257 C51sa Morris Park 01/16/49 Photo: Bill Rugen Archive: Art Huneke
lirr309-H6sb_Morris-Park_02-24-49_BillRugen-Huneke.JPG (103470 bytes)
LIRR #309 H6sb Morris Park 2/24/49 Photo: Bill Rugen Archive: Art Huneke

H10s 111-Turntable Lead Track-Oil Cars-MPShops-11-1954 (Rugen-Huneke).JPG (84730 bytes)
LIRR #111 H10s on turntable lead track, oil tank cars, view SW 11/1954 (Rugen-Huneke)
See location map right,
 Info: Dave Keller
Map: Steven Lynch

lirr-141-G53sd_Morris-Park-turntable_1-16-49_Bill-Rugen.jpg (106500 bytes)
LIRR #141 G53sd 4-6-0 built 1917 by Brooks Morris Park turntable 01/16/1949 Photo: Bill Rugen Archive: Art Huneke


MORRIS PARK YARD - VIEW E     

Morris-Park-Yard_viewE_1950_ArtHuneke.jpg (117692 bytes)
Morris Park Yard view E toward DUNTON Tower 1950 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

Those tracks alongside the embankment were the "newer" DD1 layup/storage tracks. They used to lay the units up along the Atlantic Ave. fence near the M of E building, power plant and blacksmith shop. They were also used to store the B3 electrics (electrics with overhead catenary) when they were taken out of service about the same time period. I would guess the B3s were towed there as there is no overhead juice in MP Shops. Info: Dave Keller 

DD1-341, 348-Morris Park Shops-Old Sign-Tichy Scheme-View NW-Jamaica-10-06-51 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (104659 bytes)
DD1 #341, #348, in Tichy Scheme, at Morris Park old shop sign (c. 1920) View NW at Morris Park 10/06/1951 (Faxon-Keller)

Remaining DD1 electrics laying up alongside the depressed Atlantic Branch just before it hits the tunnel, about where the M of E building is in the background. 

Engine-Inspector's Office_Morris-Park- Shops_12-03-1957_Dave-Keller.jpg (95684 bytes)
Engine Inspector's Office Morris Park Shops zoom image 12/03/1957 Archive: Dave Keller

Morris-Park-yard-DUNTON_viewE_1954_ArtHuneke.jpg (214590 bytes)
Morris Park yard DUNTON view E 1954 Photo: Art Huneke
Morris-Park_viewN_c.1976_MarioCraig.jpg (147473 bytes)
Morris Park view N c.1976 Photo: Mario Craig

Morris-Park_viewE_1976.jpg (95159 bytes)
Morris Park view E toward DUNTON Tower 1976

1. Yardmaster's Office: Tower added 1945 to provide elevated visibility for Richmond Hill Storage Yard
2. Trainmen's Building: The building housed facilities for train crews awaiting their runs originating from the adjacent storage yard. Men spent hours there eating their lunch, playing cards, napping, reading, yakking with each other and generally just killing time until they had to catch their trains. The building had toilets, lockers, tables, benches and chairs. Info: Dave Keller
3.
Car
Washing Machine Control House: New 1942 - Controls and some storage for the 55 gallons drums of detergent. Info: Dick Maske
4. Dunton Tower: Formerly “MP” Tower. 1/20/1914.  Renamed: 4/23/37 Info: Dave Keller
5. Switchmen's Shanty: The LIRR position also referred to as "UB" Utility Brakeman, AKA Switch tender.
6. Wheel Truing Machine Shop

7. Engine I
nspectors Office: Mechanics room for electricians, machinists and a supply room for special oils, repair parts, etc.

Morris-Park_viewE_4-05-99_MarioCraig.jpg (137797 bytes)
Morris Park Yard view E toward DUNTON Tower 4/05/99  Photo/Archive: Mario Craig

8. Car Washer Building
9. Car Washer Sheds
10. Richmond Hill Receiving Yard: Advance Yard directly under #9 between car washer sheds.
11. Sheffield Farms
12. Yard Office
13.
Oil House: The roof on the oil house is cut on an angle so that larger engines would clear it. 
14. Tar Walkway: leads right to the steps of the Westbound Boland's landing Platform.

Morris-Park_viewE-2012.jpg (347623 bytes)
Morris Park yard aerial view E 2012

MorrisParkShops_4-77TAD.jpg (90392 bytes)
Morris Park Yard 4/1977 
Photo: Tad Darnell

MorrisParkYard1980sbobanderson.jpg (63023 bytes)
Morris Park Yard c.1980+
Morris-Park_Shanty_viewW_c.2008_RobertAnderson.jpg (56780 bytes)
Morris Park Yard 2008
Photo(s): Bob Anderson

Sunday afternoon May 05, 2013 Shanty burned down


G53 (4-6-0) #144 lays up at Morris Park Shops alongside the fence separating the shops from the tracks of the Atlantic branch, visible in the foreground in this c. 1938 view. Behind the #144 is C51 (0-8-0) #251 and at the right is a freshly-painted G5s and tender.  To the left over the tracks is the smoke washer bridge. In the center background is the water tower for the shops and in the right background is the conveyor taking the coal to the old wooden coaling facility.    Dave Keller archive


Photo shot from the sanding tower. There are “Dashing Dan” logos on the locomotives, which were added in February, 1959, per the “Long Island Railroader” magazine but the paint jobs look extremely weathered, so this wouldn’t be 1959 or they’d look freshly out-shopped. 

The Fairbanks-Morse units are still in service.  They were pulled in 1964 and replaced by the C420 units.  Not a C420 in sight in this view so they probably hadn’t yet arrived on the property; thus 1962-63.
Archive: Jim Gillin,  Photo: LIRR,  Research: Dave Keller

morrispark19732.jpg (95840 bytes)
Morris Park Shops - 1973
mp1973buildings.jpg (70314 bytes)
1973 Building Guide
Air-Compressors_for-Switch-Motors.jpg (43746 bytes)
Air Compressors for Switch Motors Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

B&O Wagon Top Boxcar.jpg (67913 bytes)
B&O Wagon Top Boxcar
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

Steam Plant front.jpg (71824 bytes)
Steam Plant front
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
Coal chute detail.jpg (63576 bytes)
Coal chute detail
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
FA-1 in Roundhouse.jpg (47759 bytes)
FA-1 in Roundhouse
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
Loco Yard Office.jpg (93607 bytes)
Loco Yard Office
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

Alco C420 #266 Photo: Steve Rothaug
Yard Goat.jpg (56340 bytes)
Yard Goat #397
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

lirr_397.jpg (90443 bytes)
LIRR  #397  10/31/87
Photo: Kevin Gulau

LIRRGE25T398hoskinsc.1970'smorrispark.jpg (66170 bytes)
GE 25 tonner  #398 c. 1970's
Photo: Steve Hoskins


lirr225MorrisPark10-31-87KevinGulau.jpg (79864 bytes)
LIRR C420 #225 Morris Park 10/31/87 
Photo: Kevin Gulau

LIRR399atMorrisPark.jpg (69557 bytes)
LIRR #399 Yard Goat working the transfer table, prior MTA scheme

GE 25 tonner.jpg (48221 bytes)
LIRR  #399  
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

lirr399MPark10-31-87KevinGulau.jpg (79683 bytes)
LIRR  #399 10/31/87 Repaint
Photo: Kevin Gulau

 


 

 

East from Main Gate.jpg (51166 bytes)
East from Main Gate, right of the tank is the steam plant.
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

West towards Blachsmith shop.jpg (49260 bytes)
West towards Blacksmith Shop
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

1930 tank car near blacksmith shop.jpg (45024 bytes)
09/1930 tank car near Blacksmith Shop
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

Big Hook.jpg (55533 bytes)
Big Hook
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

Ancient boxcar.jpg (72827 bytes)
Ancient boxcar
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
Unused passenger equipment.jpg (43685 bytes)
Unused passenger equipment
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
GP38-2 prime mover.jpg (41219 bytes)
LIRR #262 GP 38-2  prime mover
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
Detroit Diesel powerpack.jpg (48498 bytes)
Detroit Diesel power pack
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
Diesel traction motor.jpg (39094 bytes)
Diesel traction motor
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
MP15-AC on turntable.jpg (52863 bytes)
MP15-AC on turntable
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
Roundhouse and turntable.jpg (41727 bytes)
Roundhouse and turntable
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
Turntable.jpg (36863 bytes)
Turntable 
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
Passenger car shop yard lead.jpg (48308 bytes)
Passenger car shop yard lead
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
turntable lead tracks.jpg (39591 bytes)
Turntable lead tracks
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
inside loco shop.jpg (39807 bytes)
Inside loco shop
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
interior of loco shop.jpg (32281 bytes)
Interior of loco shop
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

 

SW1001 in roundhouse.jpg (33347 bytes)
SW1001 in roundhouse
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
Diesel wheel storage.jpg (58310 bytes)
Diesel wheel storage
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
F unit being rebuilt.jpg (57850 bytes)
FA  unit being rebuilt
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
 

Supporting Loco Shop Walls.jpg (72130 bytes)
Supporting Loco Shop Walls
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

 

 

West toward Main Gate.jpg (54867 bytes)
West toward Main Gate
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

The building on the left is the blacksmith shop and on the right is the locomotive shop followed by the end of the first transfer table.

TurnTable Arch.jpg (61911 bytes)
Turn Table Arch
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87

Alco S-1 #407 Photo: Steve Hoskins 

Car repair yard Photo: Steve Rothaug

Alco RS1 #463 Photo: Steve Hoskins

Photo: Steve Rothaug

Photo: Steve Rothaug
 

GP38-2 #250 Photo: Steve Hoskins 10/75
lirr-Sandite-Alcohol_W84-85_Atlantic-Ave_Morris-Park_c.1980.jpg (135243 bytes)
LIRR W84-85 Sandite Alcohol cars 
View NE c.1980
lirr160_Morris-Park-shops_viewW_9-1980.jpg (60651 bytes)
LIRR #160 MP15 view W 9/1980
L455-439S2MPshops01-19-76.jpg (90608 bytes)
LIRR S1-2 Units #455-439
Morris Park Shops 
01/19/76 Archive: Dave Keller

Morris Shops Roundhouse
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87


Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87
 


Parts storage
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87


Original manhole cover
Photo: Steve Rothaug

 


1890's Loco Yard Office Closeup
track visible westbound turntable lead
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87


Transfer Table
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87


Wheel grinding shop
Photo: Steve Rothaug


Interior wheel grinding shop
Photo: Steve Rothaug 10/87


Turntable drive mechanism
Photo: Steve Rothaug


Photo: Steve Rothaug

 


Photo: Steve Rothaug

FA Truck Photo: Steve Rothaug

Alco FA2 #609 Photo: Steve Rothaug 

GP38-2 #257 freshly painted
Photo: Steve Rothaug 

Photo: Steve Rothaug

Alco FA1 #612 junker
Photo: Steve Rothaug

Morris Park
Shops - 2000

Remains of the Coal Bunker 1985
Photo: Steve Lynch

East of the Coal Tower 1985
Photo: Steve Lynch
Morris park-Aerial View Tim Darnell.jpg (111267 bytes)
Morris Park Shops c.2006
Composite: Tim Darnell
LIRRDiner-MorrisParkShopsBob Anderson.jpg (83234 bytes)
LIRR Diner e
ast of  Blacksmith's Shop Map location: #31 1980s+  
Photo: Bob Anderson

LIRR_L397_Diner_081289Al Castelli_MPark.jpg (53429 bytes)
LIRR #L397 at Diner 8/12/89
Photo: Al Castelli

Morris-Park-Diner_demolished_10-22-96_KenRodgers.jpg (69134 bytes)
Morris Park "Dashing Dan" Diner demolished 10/22/96 Photo: Ken Rodgers

Note: Morris Park Diner had Woodmere embossed into the sheet metal side by the entrance. Original town/street location yet not known. 

MorrisPark102889manholecoverAlCastelli.jpg (71773 bytes)
LIRR Morris Park Manhole Cover 10/28/1989 Photo: Al Castelli
MorrisPark102889entrancesignAlCastelli.jpg (87265 bytes)
Photo: Al Castelli 10/28/1989
lirr460AlcoS2MorrisParktavle-c.1963+.jpg (57800 bytes)
LIRR #460 Alco S-2 c.1963+
MORRIS PARK SHOPS  - DEMOLITION, 2008
morrisparkremainingbuildings.jpg (106573 bytes)
The hi-lighted buildings in BLUE are the only buildings still standing in Morris Park. Info: Mike DeFantis The Long Island Rail Road Fellowship:
Association of Retired and Former Long Island Rail Road Employees
mp1973buildings.jpg (70314 bytes)
1973 Building Guide
MorrisPark08-16-08 backshop_machineandlocoshopJoeTischner.jpg (64728 bytes)
Morris Park 08/16/2008 Machine and Loco Shop Photo: Joe Tischner
MorrisPark08-16-08 backshopJoeTischner.jpg (68097 bytes)
Morris Park Machine Shop View S Location 9 on 1973 map above 08/16/2008
Photo: Joe Tischner
Image16.jpg (44072 bytes)
Image17.jpg (46686 bytes) Image19.jpg (52852 bytes) Image21.jpg (53047 bytes)
Image11.jpg (57272 bytes) Image15.jpg (45350 bytes) exMPshops10-09-2008leftofturntableRAnderson.jpg (69783 bytes)
Ex-Loco Shop 10/09/08 turntable to left
Photo: Bob Anderson
Note: Morris Park Demolition photos courtesy: Mike Scholz  09/11/2008
LIRR Electrician/Car Mover - Richmond Hill/Diesel Ops  unless otherwise credited
 JAMAICA RECEIVING-ADVANCE YARDS - DUNTON TOWER- SHEFFIELD FARMS DIARY AREA

Morris Park yard Dunton view E 1954 Photo/archive: Art Huneke
Receiving-Advance Yards Under Construction-View E. From 130th St. - Morris Park Shops-Jamaica - 08-16-1911 (Huneke).jpg (125359 bytes)
Receiving-Advance yards under Construction View E. from 130th St. Morris Park Shops/Jamaica 08/16/1911 Archive: Art Huneke
 
M1_Train-Old_Mail_Dock-Advance_Yard-Jamaica_NY_- 09-02-78_(Madden-Keller).jpg (149248 bytes)
M1 at abandoned USPS mail platform, Advance Yard view W 09/02/78 Photo: Madden Archive: Keller
Train-RF-7_Richmond-Hill_9-02-77.jpg (86998 bytes)
Train #RF-7 Jamaica Receiving Yard 9/22/1977, west of the station and east of Richmond Hill, view NE towards Jamaica station. The embankment at the right is the Montauk Branch with the Atlantic branch tracks visible to the far right of the embankment with the signal bridge. 

The elevated tracks at th
e left are the Jamaica Advance Yard where they sit awaiting the go-ahead into Jamaica station to pick up passengers. The wash rack is just to the left of the MTA painted units with the long rooftop of the old mail handling facility further back. Research: Dave Keller

SheffieldFarms.jpg (79096 bytes)
Location #5: Leased PRR K4s #5387 lays up at the east end of Morris Park Shops yard in the Dunton/Jamaica area along with several other of her contemporaries. The view is looking east towards "DUNTON" tower (renamed on 4/23/37) roof of which is just visible in the center background and Sheffield Farms, the huge milk plant located between the LIRR's Atlantic branch tracks and Atlantic Avenue. Archive: RMLI  Info: Dave Keller

Tower-MP-Dunton-1925.jpg (34770 bytes)
"MP" Tower  renamed "Dunton" 04/23/37
1925 Photo: James V. Osborne Archive/Info: Dave Keller

G5s-26-DuntonTwr-c1938.jpg (42830 bytes)
LIRR G5s #26 Dunton Tower c.1938
Archive: Dave Keller

mparkskyviewN.jpg (213135 bytes)
Morris Park east to Dunton Tower - View North 2008, lower right corner former location of Sheffield Farms Dairy

Sheffield Farms Mik Cars.jpg (91604 bytes)
The Sheffield Farms cars are a publicity photo of cars built for Sheffield by General American Refrigerator Car Company in 1928 Source:  Carstens Publications

DD1 352-Sheffield Farms Milk Cars-Receiving Yd-Jamaica-c. 1937.jpg (73228 bytes)
DD1 #352 Sheffield Farms Milk Cars Receiving Yd Jamaica c.1937 Archive: Dave Keller

sheffielddiary.jpg (32925 bytes)
Location #1: Looking east from Morris Park Shops, Aug. 26, 1939. "Dunton" tower at far left. Signal bridge beyond is at Dunton station (square, brick waiting room visible at west end of high level platforms). Plant and stack in background is Sheffield Farms. Archive: Dave Keller

Tower-Dunton-MorrisParkShops-c1938.jpg (54853 bytes)
Location #2: Dunton Tower east of Morris Park Shops c.1938 The building west of DUNTON tower is a Track Department section shed for Sub 1 ( Engineering Subsection 1). It contained repair materials, track tools, a stove and lunch table. Emery 1958 map of MPS.
Archive: Dave Keller

G5s_30andcrew_ReceivingYard.jpg (45262 bytes)
Location #3: LIRR G5s #30 a
nd her crew in the Receiving Yard, with Sheffield Farms in the right background along the Atlantic branch.  Embankment carries the Montauk branch tracks. View SE. Archive: Dave Keller
table MPark 2008.jpg (93057 bytes)
Location #4:  Morris Park Turntable area 2008
morrispark-viewE_archiveJohnDziobko.jpg (111640 bytes)
#5 Dunton Tower Sheffield Farms Plant view E Archive: John Dziobko
RS3-1551-P74A-7502 and MTK Train on MTK Br Embankment -Dunton- View NE-04-21-62 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (106825 bytes)
RS3 #1551 pulling P74A #7502 and Montauk train eastbound along the Montauk branch embankment near "DUNTON" tower - Jamaica, NY - 4/21/62 (Will Faxon photo, Dave Keller archive)
Tower-Dunton-1967_Keller.jpg (180838 bytes)
DUNTON Tower view NW 1967 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller

Note: The handrails and guardrails for stairway to 130th Ave. on east side of DUNTON tower.

lirr1758.jpg (38417 bytes)
Location #6: LIRR #1758 MP54 Richmond Hill Storage Yard. Probably late 1920's or early 1930's from the Richmond Hill Storage yard looking southeast towards the Montauk branch embankment and the Sheffield Farms Dairy plant along Atlantic Avenue and Roof of “MP” tower (later “DUNTON”) at right background. Research: Dave Keller 

BolandsLanding12-25-08BobAnderson.jpg (79719 bytes)
Bolands Landing at Dunton Tower
View NE 12/25/2008 Photo: Bob Anderson
Dunton-Weber03081943.jpg (102438 bytes)
Dunton Tower View E of Morris Park Shops 03/08/1943 Photo: Fred Weber  Archive: Ron Zinn
West Side Freight: Milk Plants

Sheffield Farms opened a plant adjoining its company's headquarters at 524 W. 57th St. in 1938. Here is a quote from the article on the new plant in the June 22, 1938 The American Produce Review.

"The new plant, adjoining the company's headquarters at 524 West 57th St., spans the tracks of the New York Central which run below street level from the 60th St. yards to 35th St. between Tenth and Eleventh Aves. The tracks were laid in a cut a year ago, removing the railroad from Eleventh Ave."

"Relocation of the railroad enabled the company to build on this site and obtain the long sought rail terminal within the plant. First, however, the dairy and the railroad made an unusual real estate deal by which the railroad maintains a right of way through the plant and the dairy owns the air rights above the tracks."

"The new plant is the only milk plant in Manhattan and the second in New York City to have a railroad siding on plant property. The other plant, also built by Sheffield Farms, is in Jamaica. It was opened a year ago. The rail head in the plant saves the time and expense involved in hauling milk from railroad yards in tank trucks."