09-25-52.jpg (18826 bytes)
Oyster Bay at Night 09/25/52
Oyster Bay


Panorama c.1900

Oyster Bay page 2 - Model the Prototype

PRR-E6s-169-Oyster Bay-07-23-44 (Keller).jpg (72275 bytes)
It's July 23, 1944, and WW II is still underway on two fronts. Wartime consciousness on the home front was very real and railroad photography was highly restricted, even to railroad employees themselves. Some images were "illegally" shot but they are hard-to-find and many of the railfans and railroad men who may have attempted to take photos were seriously occupied in serving their country overseas. This image of leased PRR class E6s #169 laying up next to LIRR G5s #24 on the old engine house tracks at Oyster Bay is one of these hard-to-find, wartime images. (Dave Keller archive and data)
OBayWest10-11-10JonLebowitz.JPG (168025 bytes)
View W 10/11/2010 Photo: Jon Lebowitz
LIRR-OysterBayYard-080110AlCastelli.jpg (125063 bytes)
View E 8/01/2010 Photo: Al Castelli

lirrobaydocks1892ferry.jpg (236188 bytes)
Passenger Ferry Service from Oyster Bay, NY to Wilson Point, CT. Spring 1892 two daily passenger trains. Eliminated by Winter 1893.
Source: Paul Strubeck


Oyster Bay Station (map 3)   turntable.jpg (28173 bytes)
OB Turntable (map 4)

obtable0701.jpg (41842 bytes)
Oyster Bay table looking south.

AlcoRS1_461-lirrG5_01-23-55_Obay_600v2.jpg (47343 bytes)
Alco RS1 #461on the turntable
and G5 01/23/1955
Photo: Norman E. Kohl

OBayExpressHouseEmerySW.jpg (83880 bytes)
Express House view SW
R. Emery <1961 Collection: SUNY Stony Brook
Bob Emery's branch notes indicate that the last year for REA service on the OB branch was 1960, so this photo is no later than 1960.

G5s-28_Oyster-Bay-yard_viewE_1951_Kohl_SUNY-Stony-Brook28.jpg (66407 bytes)
G5s #28 Oyster Bay yard view E 1951 
Photo: Kohl Archive: SUNY Stony Brook
lirr158_Oyster-Bay_Mill-Race_viewS_3-02-13_AndrewCiavarella.jpg (197084 bytes)
LIRR #158 Oyster Bay Mill Race view S 3/02/13 
Photo: Andrew Ciavarella



Oyster Bay Map NMRA bulletin 2/66

Oyster Bay Engine House-D56s - G5s-1926.jpeg (64110 bytes) 
Engine House-D56s - G5s #21 1926
Collection: Dave Keller

tender107_OBay09-06-37.jpg (103193 bytes)Class 80P81 pass tender
water gallon capy: 81,000 coal lbs. capy: 34350 
weight empty: 76700 weight loaded: 178550

Tender #107 assigned to Class H10s 2-8-0 #105  taking on water for filming of Floyd Gibbons' "True Adventure Stories" Oyster Bay Sept 6-7, 1937
Photo: J.P. Sommer Archive: David Keller

Obayturntable04-02-65.jpg (51970 bytes)
Oyster Bay Turntable   04/02/1965 
Photo: Pat Scopelliti

OBaytable1-8-2008_dmorrison.jpg (74603 bytes)
Oyster Bay Turntable   01/08/2008 
Photo: Dave Morrison


Oyster Bay’s Historic Turntable Article
Part I by Walter Karppi from: 
The FREEHOLDER 
Spring 2001 issue.

Part II by David D Morrison from: 
The FREEHOLDER - Fall 2006 issue. 

Article: "Oyster Bay Railroad Museum Brings Tourists to Oyster Bay"

Enterprise Pilot 19July07.jpg (227728 bytes)
Oyster Bay "Enterprise Pilot" article 07/19/2007
Note: Interesting artist renditions of restored Oyster Bay Station and Turntable


PRR E3sd-3148-LIRR Train-in Yard-Oyster-Bay-1940 (Keller).jpg (85374 bytes)

Pennsylvania Railroad-leased E3sd (4-4-2) #3148 with a full tender of coal basks in the early morning sunshine as it sits coupled to a Long Island Rail Road passenger train in Oyster Bay yard, awaiting it's departure westbound into the station facilities.  The lettering on the passenger cars in this view are all in the "Futura" style which was used by the PRR and the LIRR beginning in 1940.  It is a block lettering / numbering with no serifs.  After a short period of use on passenger cars and locomotive tenders, the roads went back to the Penn Roman  style. The tender in this image still sports the old Penn Roman font.
(Dave Keller archive and data)

OysterBay-Enginehouse-valuation_08-26-1916.jpg (255875 bytes)
Oyster Bay Engine house LIRR valuation 8/26/1916 Archive: Dave Morrison
obtopo.jpg (38987 bytes)
Topographic Map

 

obwest.jpg (43012 bytes)
Yard Throat looking toward
the station (west). Track running across foreground is cutoff leading to the turntable.
(map 1) Photo: J. Nelsen
obayeast.jpg (40194 bytes)
Oyster Bay Yard looking
east toward turntable.
Cutoff track seen in photo
(left) is in near foreground.
(map 2) Photo: J. Nelsen

ob4-26-53yardse.jpg (25358 bytes)
SE view April '53.
watertankob.jpg (13738 bytes)

Scenes From the Past:
Jakobson Shipyard, Oyster Bay
by Dave Keller

ob1928
 1941 revised Sanborn -  Jakobson Shipyard

Sta-JakesSwitch-OyBay-1940.jpg (43440 bytes)
Jakobson Switch 1940
T. Sommer photo
D. Keller Collection

ob4-53station.jpg (25282 bytes)
OB Station 1953


1928 Yard Area
Oyster Bay Lumber 1928

Yard-Freight House-Water Tower-Coaling Tower-G5s No. 30-Oyster Bay-c. 1940 (Huneke).JPG (108076 bytes)
Yard-Freight House-Water Tower-Coaling Tower-G5s No. 30-Oyster Bay-c. Long Island Coal Co. 1940 Archive: Art Huneke

licoal.jpg (11454 bytes)
Long Island Coal Co. 1953

OysterBay-JoeTestagrose 11-09-1969.jpg (57302 bytes)
LIRR #228 LIST fan trip Oyster Bay 11/09/1969 Photo: Joe Testagrose 

The fan trip would be 1970 or, perhaps, a year earlier, as the equipment began to appear on the property in 1968-69 and the B&O closed observation “Nappannee” (which was traded for the LIRR’s BUDD RDC2 #3121) was repainted and renamed by 1971. 
Info: Dave Keller

 

ob6-19-1938_141.jpg (40256 bytes)
Engine #141 at the water tank 06/19/1938

obstat1.jpg (38250 bytes)

obstat2.jpg (44944 bytes)

obstat3.jpg (28433 bytes)

Post Cards provided by
David Morrison


1950 LIRR P-54 Passenger Car Capacity

obstat4.jpg (49280 bytes)        obstat5.jpg (39614 bytes)       obstat6.jpg (54221 bytes)
                                                     Colonel Teddy Roosevelt leaving Long Island

rooseveltpark.jpg (28749 bytes)
Dedication sign at entrance to
Roosevelt Park


OB dock crane

OysterBay_MillRaceBridge1a_viewSE_5-5-12_A.Ciavarella.jpg (109156 bytes)
Mill Creek Bridge - west of town view SE 05/05/12 Photo: Andy Ciavarella

obrrsign.jpg (60583 bytes)
Railroad sign advising
long trailer load  warning

 

 8-2-01.jpg (196618 bytes)
Engine #35 on the Move Again


Jakobson's Marine 1/4 Turntable

ObayAlco211Turntable04-02-65.jpg (54632 bytes)

ObayAlco211Turntable04-02-65_2.jpg (57068 bytes) Obayturntable04-02-65-2.jpg (61554 bytes)

Oyster Bay Turntable  Alco C420 #211  04-02-1965 Photos: Pat Scopelliti

1/17/2004 - new information about the Oyster Bay station contributed by Gary Farkash (past president of the Friends of Locomotive 35)

The Oyster Bay Station is actually the original 1889 structure. Dave Morrison and I found this information in the 1889 LIRR Annual Report. We also found a drawing of the station in a book printed for the LIRR back in the late 1880’s.

 In 1902 the original structure was remodeled by the addition of the bathroom section as well as a brick fireplace on the same end.  

The varnished chestnut was painted over in a sea foam green color and the roof reworked.

Also, all the gingerbread trim was removed as was the Porte cocher. The prominent bay window on the street side was added as well.

The Operator’s Bay on the track side is original to the structure. The original structure bears remarkable similarities to the Newtown Depot (East Elmhurst) which was built the same year.

Compare photos form Ron Ziel’s Stations book and you can clearly see this. We will be doing more research at the NY Public Library on this and on the architect.


H16-44 No.1508 1956

LIRR donates historic train station to town
--------------------

BY BILL BLEYER
STAFF WRITER

Long Island Rail Road president James Dermody Friday donated the 1889 Oyster Bay station to the town as part of the process of creating a railroad museum by 2008.

As the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum, the depot -- owned by the LIRR since it was built -- will be restored to the way it looked in 1902 when it was renovated when local resident Theodore Roosevelt was president. The Town of Oyster Bay now owns the building and immediate surroundings, but it will be managed by the restoration committee of the Oyster Bay Historical Society.

David Morrison of Plainview, the committee chairman, said white paint was stripped from the exterior bricks, wood trim was restored and painted the original Essex green, and copper leaders and gutters installed. Inside, they removed the partitions and second floor that were added in later years.

"We want to restore it to the beautiful cathedral ceiling appearance it once had," Morrison said. The museum will encompass the depot, the turntable that reversed steam locomotives and Locomotive No. 35, the LIRR steam engine that is slowly being restored by the same volunteers who have been working on the station.

Copyright (c) 2005, Newsday, Inc.

lirr600-601-609_oBay06-10-78McEneryarchive.jpg (101212 bytes)
FA-2 #600, #601, #609 06/10/78 
Archive: McEnery

OBayc.1954JamesJKelly.jpg (129894 bytes)
LIRR #50 c.1954 Photo: James J. Kelly

Obay09-17-39schedule.jpg (65926 bytes)
Oyster Bay Schedule 09-17-39

G5sOysterBaylirr46,34,35,23_1947EdWittekind.jpg (58557 bytes)
G5s Oyster Bay LIRR #46 #34 #35 #23
1947 Photo: Ed Wittekind

oldfreighthouseOBay1964.jpg (19784 bytes)
The old brick building is the old freight house at Oyster Bay in 1964. Info: Dave Keller

FAsOysterBay73_003b.jpg (43684 bytes)
Summer of 1972 Photo: Richard Glueck

Station-Oyster-Bay-1965.jpg (48626 bytes)
Oyster Bay Station view W 1965
Archive: Dave Keller

Crew-Shanty-Yard-LIRR-Truck-Oyster-Bay-1965.jpg (46156 bytes)
Yard Crew Shanty 1965 ex-Bunkhouse location
Archive: Dave Keller

A bunkhouse in 1941 would have been either brick or wood.  Not cement block.  

This, however, is a newer structure, possibly 1950s-style architecture, replacing the 1941 structure indicated on Emery’s map. But the location is most definitely the same.  

Emery 1958 Map note #9 is former water tower. Note the old, yellowed concrete slab to the left of the 1965 bunkhouse shot?  That is probably a remnant of the concrete foundation for the water tower.  
Research: Dave Keller 

OBayyard58.jpg (239406 bytes)
R. Emery Oyster Bay Yard 07/1958

Location: 
#9 Water Tower 1941-1956 
#10 Bunk House New 1941
#11 Pump House 1941-1956

 

LI225FAsOyBay11-76tad56-28.jpg (52485 bytes)
LIRR #225 and trio FA units Oyster Bay 11/1976  Photo: Tim Darnell

lirr602FA2_lirr610FA1_03-01-81ObayTAD.jpg (73291 bytes)
FA-2 #602 and FA-1 #610 03-01-81
Photo: Tim Darnell

The turntable restoration now at the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum’s yard. 07/27/2008 Photo: JJ Earl
OBay_GP38-2_no.260_viewSW_11-16-99_BillSkeats.jpg (39947 bytes)
LIRR #260 view SW Teddy Roosevelt Park 11/16/99 
Photo: William Skeats
079.jpg (72806 bytes)
10/14/07