LIRR - RIVERHEAD   

 

 



Riverhead Station and Block Signals out front of the ticket bay, when it was a manned block office. 
Train Order signal on mast 1953 Archive: Dave Keller

Riverhead-Station_colorized-ViewE_1906_Morrison.jpg (116065 bytes)
Riverhead Station colorized post card - View E 1906 Archive: Dave Morrison

RIVERHEAD:  1st Depot appears on timetable of 6/14/1845. Moved for use as a railroad bunkhouse: 3/1870
2nd Depot opened: 3/1870
3rd Depot opened: 6/2/1910. Agency closed: 11/13/72 (per "LIRR Ticket Office Hours" listing). Housed signal maintainers until depot was restored and ownership transferred to the Town of Riverhead: c. 2001 
4th Depot with hi-level platforms built: 2000-01

Hyde-map_Riverhead_c.1910_SteveRothaug.jpg (489138 bytes)
Riverhead Hyde map <1902-1908 Archive: Steve Rothaug

Railroad Museum LI Trackage, Photos, Info

Emery-Riverhead-MP72-73_10-57.jpg (151801 bytes)
                                      Emery map Riverhead MP72-73 10/1957 Archive: Dave Keller
 

Emery-Riverhead-MP73-74_10-57.jpg (383181 bytes)
Emery map Riverhead MP73-74 10/1957 Archive: Dave Keller


LIRR Riverhead 1985 map Archive: Frank Fiore


GLF duck-chicken feed plant - View E c.1955
 (Emery-SUNY-Stony Brook)

Riverhead - Suffolk Agway - View E 7/1986 Photo/Archive: Jay Bendersky
riverhead-1966.jpg (98977 bytes)
LIRR 1966 Freight Sidings Map - Riverhead
LIRR maps RIverhead 1986.jpg (70034 bytes)
LIRR maps - Riverhead 1986 Page 58

1885

1891

1897

1902

1909

1929
Riverhead Turntable Sanborn Maps - Archive: RMLI, Don Fisher

Sanborn map 1885: 1st table west of Griffin Built <1885 45' - 48' in length (Don Fisher)
Map 1891: 2nd table built <1891 55' in length (Don Fisher)
Map 1897: 2nd table realigned track to the turntable
Map 1902: 2nd table removed <1902  It may have been taken out after the 1897 map published or up until 1902 map revision update.
Map 1909: Table re-installed <1909  This table larger then 1891/1897 version. Note 1   And re-installed in 1902 up until the 1909 map published.. 75' turntable with the pit wall so very close to the passing siding (Don Fisher) Note 2
Map 1929 The rest of the maps show realignment of tracks to the table. Out of service 1952.

Note 1: A larger diameter table for bigger engines as K2s (4-6-2) locos were turned on it. This larger 75’ table, in the same location to replace the 55’ would make it the 3rd different table at Riverhead.
Note 2: The 1909 turntable is larger then the 1891 version. 55’ vs. 75’. Using the same turntable center pivot the existing 1891 2nd table pit needed to be dug out another 10’ each way for the newer c.<1909 75’ table.

Sanborn maps were published in volumes, bound and then updated until the subsequent volume was produced. Larger cities would be covered by multiple volumes of maps. Between editions of published volumes, map updates were sent out as correction slips. Sanborn employees, called "Pasters" or "Correctors", would visit subscribers' offices to paste the slips on top of the old maps.  Riverhead had two turntable locations, the first original built west of Griffin and the 55’ to 75’ upgrade east of Griffin by the School house.  Three turntables total.  Research: Steven Lynch


Comparison of the 55' and replacement 75' turntables.


Riverhead turntable - Emery map 10/1957 Archive: SUNY-Stony Brook

Riverhead-water-tank_crossing-shanty_viewNE_1940_(Weber-Morrison).jpg (97243 bytes)
Riverhead water tank and crossing shanty view NE 1940
(Fred Weber - Dave Morrison)  Note:  The water spout at the entrance to the turntable for watering locos in the yard. Info: Dave Keller

 
Riverhead Griffin Ave. crossing - View W 1940 (Weber-Morrison)

Riverhead water tank view NE with the turntable pit and passing siding in the foreground 1940 (Fred Weber - Dave Morrison)

Riverhead turntable pit excavation - Richard Horn (left), Bill Raynor 1998
Photo/Archive:  RMLI - Don Fisher

Riverhead turntable  project - ex-GTW RR 86' turntable for future installation
7/08/2002  Photo/Archive:  RMLI - Don Fisher

Riverhead turntable property evaluation 2001 Archive:  RMLI - Don Fisher

Riverhead turntable property evaluation - View south 2001 Archive:  RMLI - Don Fisher
Riverhead Station Area

Riverhead Station - View SW c.1905 Archive: Dave Keller


Riverhead Station LIRR valuation photo rear view NE with the freight house visible at the far right.  10/1917 Archive: Dave Keller

 
Crossing-Shanty-Osborn-Ave-Frt Cars Spotted-Riverhead, NY (view NW) - 06-1933 (Keller).jpg (78688 bytes)
Crossing Shanty - Freight cars spotted at B. S. Golding's Feed, Osborn Ave., Riverhead View NW 6/1933 Archive: Dave Keller

Riverhead_Produce-loading_1951_JohnKrause.jpg (56401 bytes)
Riverhead - Reefer being iced c.1951 Photo: John Krause

Station-Riverhead-RH Block Signals-Frt on Siding (View E) - 06-1933 (Keller).jpg (50865 bytes)
Riverhead Station - RH Block Signals- Freight on siding 
View E  6/1933 Archive: Dave Keller

Riverhead-Station_viewW_11-12-1943_RMLI-Morrison.jpg (90848 bytes)
Riverhead Station - View W 11/12/1943 (RMLI-Morrison)

Frt House-Hoppers in Yard - Riverhead, NY (View NE) - 1936 (Keller).jpg (68487 bytes)
Riverhead Freight House Covered grain hoppers in yard 
View NE 1936 Archive: Dave Keller

Crossing Shanty - Osborn Ave. and Watchman-Riverhead-View S - c. 1946 (Weber-Keller).jpg (78787 bytes)
Watchman  and crossing shanty  at Osborn Ave., Riverhead 
View S c. 1946 (Weber-Keller)

Its 1951 & busy potato & cauliflower business on the north fork near Riverhead needed the LIRR to dispatch a light engine to Greenport & work westbound to pick up the iced loads towards NYC. Notice the ice truck icing down the produce, long before mechanical reefers were used.

riverhead_viewW_Goldings-Feed_c.1962_BradPhillips.jpg (99970 bytes)
Riverhead view W at Osborne Ave. crossing - B. S. Golding's Feed and 
Lumber Yard siding c.1962 Photo: Brad Phillips


LIRR-461_Train-202_Scoot_Riverhead view W_Riverhead-Station_Golding's Feed and Lumber Yard siding_8-27-73.jpg (55336 bytes)
Riverhead Station - Eastbound "Scoot"  LIRR #461 Train #202  8/27/1973  Archive: Dave Keller

Note: One-car train #202, the Greenport Scoot, that ran between Ronkonkoma and Greenport.  When the daily train ran between Jamaica and Greenport it was train #204.  That train was cancelled and replaced by this shuttle.

 ticket_Riverhead-Calverton_ 4-07-61_BradPhillips.jpg (42016 bytes)

ticket_Riverhead-Calverton-reverse_ 4-07-61_BradPhillips.jpg (25075 bytes)
Ticket between Riverhead and Calverton 4/07/1961 Archive: Brad Phillips

lirr111-H10s_Water-Spout_Riverhead-Express-House_c.1952_DaveKeller.jpg (77106 bytes)
H10s #111 is stopped at the express house and is preparing to take on water in this c. 1952 view looking east. At the left is the freight house with boxcar spotted on the house track. (Dave Keller archive
 

LIRR #151 Riverhead freight - View E of Raynor Ave. c.1985
Photo/Archive: Frank Fiore

Note: Left siding is LI Produce, next 50 car passing siding, Main
and right is the “Freight Track.  (See LIRR maps above)

Riverhead_M1-9548_ViewW_1-28-2015_EdwardHand.jpg (69718 bytes)
Riverhead Station Hi-level platforms - M1 #9548 View W
1/28/2015 Photo: Edward Hand

lirr210_train204_newspaper-baggage_Riverhead_viewNW_7-1-64 BradPhillips.jpg (108310 bytes)
LIRR #210 Train #204 newspaper baggage Riverhead view W 7/01/64 Photos: Brad Phillips

LIRR210_train204_newspaper-baggage_Riverhead_viewW_7-1-64 BradPhillips.jpg (115174 bytes)
LIRR #210 Train #204 newspaper baggage westbound approaching Riverhead Station view W 7/01/64

 
Riverhead RF-62 pair-MP15s c.1990+ Photo/Archive: Frank Fiore

ticket_Form_1H-G _Riverhead-New-York_US-Govt_8-01-68_BradPhillips.jpg (37725 bytes)
Ticket Form 1H-G Riverhead to Penn Sta. US Gov't 8/01/68 
Archive: Brad Phillips

 
Track Geometry Vehicle - Engineering Inspection Vehicle (EIV) TC82
Riverhead west of station 10/22/2020 Photo/Archive: Steve Rothaug
 

Riverhead Trackside

riverheadmappaulstrubeck.gif (10693 bytes)    1.-3. LI Ice Company
    4.-5. LI Coal Association
    6.-7. LI Produce
    8. Suffolk Potato
    9. Jackson


                                    Riverhead LIRR Map: Paul Strubeck  c. 2008


LIRR Siding Map 1966- Raynor Ave to Marcy Ave.

 

riverhead10.jpg (85109 bytes)
Switch off the siding that enters into Slater's. There is another switch inside the fence, And this spur once served as a LILCO track. 
riverhead13.jpg (124640 bytes)
 Looking back east you can see the switch leading into Slater"s and the other switch to get to the buildings. The spur looking east once served LI Ice Co. and LI Coal Association 
 

 

riverhead17.jpg (99542 bytes)
The first unloading door on the spur 
(Spot #1 on Map) 
riverhead18.jpg (63719 bytes)
Another unloading door (Spot #2 on Map) 
riverhead20.jpg (128768 bytes)
Crumbling smoke stack by the 1st building
riverhead21.jpg (43511 bytes)
A more modern unloading door 
(Spot #3 on Map) 
riverhead24.jpg (77972 bytes)
Wooden unloading door (Spot #4 on Map) 
riverhead25.jpg (72407 bytes)
The last unloadng door of the spur
(Spot #5 on Map)
riverhead26.jpg (143995 bytes)
Track Bumper, Just before Marcy Avenue (Spot #5 on Map)
riverhead28.jpg (75138 bytes)
LI Potato Building, No more track 
but the ROW is visible. (Spot #6-7 on map)
riverhead29.jpg (81607 bytes)
LI Potato 1st Unloading door 
(Spot #6 on map)
riverhead30.jpg (80453 bytes)
The other unloading door at LI Potato, Now sealed up (Spot #7 on map) 
LI-Potato-Building_Swezey-Ave_viewNW_ 2-20-17_SteveRothaug.jpg (56076 bytes)
LI Potato Building view N W 2/20/17 Photo: Steve Rothaug

LI-Potato-Building_Swezey-Ave_viewNW_ 6-21-17_SteveRothaug.jpg (57139 bytes)
LI Potato Building view N W 6/21/17 Photo: Steve Rothaug

riverhead32.jpg (70415 bytes)
 Unloading doors (Spot #9 on map)
riverhead36.jpg (85261 bytes)
The end of the ROW view W
 riverhead31.jpg (69821 bytes)
Another building once served off the same ROW, The 1966 map notes this one as just "Jackson",  spots #8 & 9 are visible.  View E
Section-Shanty-west-Osbourne-Ave-Riverhead_viewSW_3-1970_Keller.jpg (220385 bytes)
Riverhead section house west of Osborne Ave. View W 
Photos/Archive: Dave Keller  
Section-Shanty-west-Osbourne-Ave-Riverhead_viewSE_3-1970_Keller.jpg (194949 bytes)
Riverhead section house west of Osborne Ave. View SE 
Photos/Archive: Dave Keller  

Suffolk Potato Exchange sack Archive: Tommy Byrne
Photos, descriptions, research and designed maps, not otherwise noted, are courtesy of Paul Strubeck.