SHINNECOCK CANAL

Shinnecock Canal Bridge 1887 - LIRailroader 1953 cover
Archive: Dave Morrison

Emery map - Shinnecock Canal MP82-83 7/1958 Archive: Dave Keller

Emery's bridge date of 1930 isn't correct unless the concrete abutments/supports were poured in 1930 and the date indicated thereon at that time.  The actual replacement bridge was in service sometime between June and September, 1931 (photographic provenance). Dave Keller


View north from the Montauk Highway trestle towards the older iron railroad bridge over Shinnecock Canal in 1915 (Thos. R. Bayles photo, Dave Keller archive)

Shinnecock Canal - New K4 bridge left - View W  5/26/1931
Archive: Art Huneke

View east with the older iron railroad bridge at the left and the heavier replacement "K4 bridge" at the right on May 26, 1931.
(Dave Keller archive)

View NE with the replacement "K4 bridge" in the front and the older iron bridge behind it on June 21, 1931 (Dave Keller archive)
Prior to this bridge being placed in service, PRR-leased K4s class locomotives did not pull Hamptons/Amagansett/Montauk trains as the older bridge couldn't support the locomotive's weight; however two G5s class locomotives double-heading WERE allowed to make these runs. After the new bridge was placed in service, K4s locomotives regularly pulled these trains, hence the given nickname "K4 bridge." Info: Dave Keller

Shinnecock Canal c.1935 Archive: Rick Nydegger

Shinnecock Canal - colorized post card c.1935
Archive: Dave Morrison

LIRR #227, #620 ERA Special - Shinnecock Canal
4/1984 Photo/Archive: Jay Bendersky

Shinnecock Canal K4 Bridge c.1965 View S
Photo: Steve Hoskins Archive: Steven Lynch

Shinnecock Canal K4 Bridge  View N  2/20/2007
Photo/Archive: Nick Kudreyko

Shinnecock Trestle - View N  1/31/2018
Photo/Archive: Marc Gluckman

  CANOE PLACE  

CANOE PLACE:  LOW CINDER PLATFORM ON SOUTHEAST SIDE OF SHINNECOCK CANAL. IN SERVICE: 1935 –1953 FOR “FISHERMAN’S SPECIAL” TRAINS


It's September 8, 1931 and the new "K4 bridge" over the Shinnecock Canal at Canoe Place is now in service and ready to accommodate the heavier K4s locomotives in their runs to and from Montauk.  This view is looking west from just east of the North Highway underpass, girders of which are visible in the foreground. The tracks between the tracks act as a stop for derailed equipment to keep from sailing off the bridge and can be seen at all bridge locations.  (Dave Keller archive)

In this close-up of the previous 1931 view, the approximate location of the Canoe Place station is indicated.  This was a low-level, crushed cinder platform only and was a scheduled stop for fishermen from 1935 until 1953 when "Fisherman's Specials" were discontinued and the stop was removed from the timetable.

The "K4 bridge" is seen in this color view looking east on July 5, 1976.  (William Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)
 
The Woodhaven to Canoe Place ticket is stamped as “Sample” on the reverse from Rand McNally dated April 1946. Samples are easily spotted as most don’t have serial numbers. The particular punch design is also consistent with Rand McNally samples generally.

None of the above explains why Woodhaven would have so much traffic to Canoe Place.  Fishing Specials originated there so perhaps the underlying purpose. Photo/Archive/Info: Brad Phillips

 

Shinnecock Hills Station

BUILT: APR-MAY/1887 WITH OPEN AIR VIEW PORTS IN TURRET TO OVERLOOK GREAT PECONIC BAY. LOW PLATFORM REMOVED: 1931 (Robt. Emery data). AGENCY CLOSED: 9/21/32. STATION STOP DISCONTINUED SHORTLY AFTER TIME- TABLE OF 9/32 WAS ISSUED, WHICH LISTED ONE TRAIN MAKING A FLAG- STOP. STATION CONTINUED TO BE LISTED ON TIMETABLES OF 1934 AND 1935 WITH NO TRAINS SCHEDULED TO STOP. LATER USED AS A U.S. POST OFFICE WITH ACTIVE MAIL CRANE UNTIL LIRR RPO SERVICE ENDED IN 1965. POSTAL FACILITY CLOSED: 1966. BUILDING ABANDONED AND PURCHASED IN 1974 FOR USE AS A PRIVATE RESIDENCE IN SITU. DESIGNATED A LOCAL SOUTHAMPTON LANDMARK: 10/22/2013.

The LIRR built its branch from Manorville SE to Moriches and then E along the south shore to Bridgehampton and NE up to Sag Harbor in 1870.  In 1881, the LIRR extended the former SSRR from Patchogue to connect with this branch at the new junction at Eastport, and the Moriches station on the old Sag Harbor branch a short distance west of this junction was lifted off its foundation and moved east and renamed Eastport.  The line was extended from Bridgehampton further east to Montauk in 1895.  Research: Dave Keller


Shinnecock Hills Station view SE  c.1910.
The track in the foreground closest to the photographer was the passing siding with a 16-car capacity.  A team track led from it on the east end, running north of the siding westward, removed in 1930 and the passing siding in 1934. Info: Dave Keller

Emery map - Shinnecock Hills MP84-85
7/1958 Archive: Dave Keller

Shinnecock Hills Station - KH Block Signal - View E c.1920
Archive: Dave Morrison

Note: The eastbound and westbound high level express platforms
with a scale on the westbound one, the passing siding,
and the Spanish pan tiles on the roof of the turret. Info: Dave Keller

FM #2402 Train #4007 westbound from Montauk passing
Shinnecock Hills Station 8/16/1959 Archive: Dave Morrison
 

 

 

MORE Shinnecock Hills Station


RS3 #1558 westbound freight passing Shinnecock Hills Station  3/27/1970 Archive: Dave Morrison