LIRR Stations

LIRR-Station-Symbol-Card_8-31-57_BradPhillips.jpg (333991 bytes)
LIRR Station Symbol Card 8/31/1957 Archive: Brad Phillips

AMITYVILLE STATION

Station-Amityville-Road-n-Rail-Bus - 6-1964.jpg (101804 bytes)
Amityville station and express house looking southeast from the former Cross Island Trolley trestle in use as pedestrian crossover – June, 1964.
Road-n-Rail bus parked on east side of station.  (Dave Keller archive)

S. S. R. R. S.SIDE R.R. SVC. BEGAN: 10/28/1867
(MONTAUK)  DEPOT BUILT: NOV-DEC/1868. MOVED TO PRIVATE 
PROPERTY: 1889. STILL STANDING: 2003.

2ND DEPOT OPENED: 7/25/1889, RAZED: 5/29/64. REPLACED WITH TEMPORARY STA. BUILDING. IN SVC: 5/29/64. OUT OF SVC: 10/25/68 ACCOUNT RELOCATION OF TRACKS AND FACILITIES FOR GRADE
CROSSING ELIMINATION. BLDG. RAZED.

2ND TEMPORARY STA. BUILDING ACCOUNT GRADE CROSSING
ELIMINATION IN SVC: 10/25/68. OUT OF SVC: 8/7/73 AND RAZED.

ELEVATED STRUCTURE IN SVC: 8/7/73

BABYLON STATION

BABYLON  SOUTH SIDE R.R. BEGAN SVC: 10/28/67 DEPOT OPENED. 2ND DEPOT OPENED: 7/2/1881, RAZED: 1963 WITH GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION. TEMPORARY STATION ACCOUNT GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION IN SVC: 4/6/63. OUT OF SVC: 9/9/64 AND RAZED. ELEVATED STRUCTURE IN SVC: 9/9/64.

babylon_c.1960.jpg (104549 bytes)
Babylon  Station View E c. Winter 1960
Archive: Jim Gillin
Station-Babylon-Temp-and-New-9-64-2.jpg (72330 bytes)
Babylon Station temp 09/1964
Archive: Dave Keller

 

Station-Babylon-Temp-and-New-9-64-1.jpg (78506 bytes)
Babylon Station temp and new 09/1964
Archive: Dave Keller

Two shots of the temporary station platforms at Babylon with new, elevated tracks/station in background, shot in 1964.  Note that the temporary station platform shelters are on the exact site of the old depot building as the tracks ran south of the original ROW and right through the site. In the background of the shot showing the shelters close-up you can see “ BABYLON ” tower at Deer Park Ave. and how much further north of the tracks it appears...because it was that much further north! Also in the distance you can see a coal silo of the trackside Knickerbocker Ice & Coal Co.  
Research: Dave Keller, LIRR Historian

BALDWIN STATION

BALDWIN SOUTH SIDE R.R. SVC. BEGAN: (MONTAUK) 10/28/1867 AS BALDWINSVILLE.” DEPOT BUILT: 2/1868. REMODELED: 5/1881. RAZED 1917. 2ND DEPOT BUILT: 12/28/17, RAZED: 11/56 WITH GRADE LIMINATION. ELEVATED STRUCTURE OPENED: 10/2/57

Station-Baldwin-SSRR-1906.jpg (79730 bytes)
Baldwin South Side SRR-1906

S. SIDE R.R. SVC. BEGAN: 10/28/1867 AS “BALDWINSVILLE.” DEPOT BUILT: 2/1868. REMODELED: 5/1881. RAZED 1917.
2ND DEPOT BUILT: 12/28/17
RAZED: 11/56 WITH GRADE ELIMINATION.
ELEVATED STRUCTURE OPENED: 10/2/57

 

Baldwin-Station_viewE_c.1910.jpg (49643 bytes)
Baldwin Station view E c.1910

The freight house is the larger structure east of the depot. The express house is the structure closer to the depot.

Perhaps the express house served both purposes originally, like Lindenhurst, but as the freight business in Baldwin grew between 1868 and c. 1906 when this image was photographed, perhaps they needed a larger and separate building. Research: Dave Keller

 

baldwinstation_jimshaughnessy.jpg (120293 bytes)
Baldwin Station View W
Temporary tracks running behind the depot rear view 5 roof windows on the station parking lot side Research: Dave Keller Photo: Jim Shaughnessy Archive: Tim Darnell

Note chimney on east side of building in BOTH images. Dave Keller

baldwinstation_jimgillin.jpg (92952 bytes)
Baldwin Station View E
south side of tracks on the east side of Grand Ave crossing, 4 roof windows on the station trackside. Research: Dave Keller
Archive: Jim Gillin

The second Baldwin station was on the south side of the tracks; the same location as the original South Side RR station. The replacement station shown in the above right postcard was opened on 12/28/17. Also note the same express and freight houses that appear in the c. 1906 shot above are still standing in this later image.  It appears they simply razed the old SSRR depot and replaced it with the newer structure in nearly the same spot.

I’d say this postcard was from the late ‘teens / early 1920s. The absence of any cars in the photo doesn’t help the dating AND there are electric lights at the platform in lieu of kerosene. 

The westbound express house at the far left is an open structure.  Most of these were closed in by the 1930s, not only for the weather, but for security. Also, electrification came through the south shore and reached Babylon in 1925. 

There is no third rail in this view . . . .what you see along the fence is the covered conduit for opening a pedestrian gate in the between-track fence in front of the depot. If you look close you’ll see the walkway between the rails right in front of the depot, identifying the location of said gate. The crossing guard would operate the lever opening and closing this gate for pedestrians to cross from one side of the station to the other, without having to walk down to the crossing and back as there is no pedestrian crossover overhead. 

So . . . the date is sometime between opening day of 12/28/17 and the electrification project which began in 1925 and culminating in the first electric train running in MAY of that year. 

You can see in the middle shot showing the temporary tracks that they are running past the station side with the 5 roof windows, while the older view, with the tracks in front of the bldg are running past 4 windows!    Therefore, newer photo is actually looking at the REAR of the depot.  Due to the space restrictions on site, the temporary tracks were run BEHIND the depot. Research: Dave Keller, LIRR Historian

BAYPORT STATION

SOUTH SIDE R.R.  DEPOT BUILT: 3/1869, RAZED: 1903
2
ND DEPOT OPENED: 8/10/1903, RAZED: 5/64, DISCONTINUED AS
STATION STOP PER G.O. #207, EFF: 9/6/80.

Bayport-station_viewNW-Railroad-St._ Oct1962_BradPhillips.jpg (109599 bytes)
Bayport Station view NW Railroad St. 10/1962 Photo/Archive: Brad Phillips
Bayport-station_Snedecor-Ave-viewW Oct1962_BradPhillips.jpg (82836 bytes)

Bayport Station Snedecor Ave view W 10/1962 Photo/Archive: Brad Phillips

Emery-Map-Bayport-05-1958MP50-51.jpg (157033 bytes)
Emery map Bayport 05/1958 MP50-51
BELLAIRE STATION
lirr32_westBellaire_c1953.jpg (114772 bytes)
LIRR  #32 G-5 WB at Bellaire c.1953
Archive: Jim Gillin

SilverStreakex-NYCcars-west-BellaireNY-12-02-67.jpg (77205 bytes)
Silver Streak ex-NYC cars WB 12/02/1967 Archive: Dave Keller

BELLAIRE MAIN LINE OPENED: 3/20/1900 AS “INTERSTATE PARK.” RENAMED “BELLAIRE” IN 1907. 2ND DEPOT OPENED: 9/20/1924 (per official dedication invitation), DISCONTINUED AS STATION STOP: 1972, RAZED: 19 ?

Station-MU Train-Bellaire-1956.jpg (82469 bytes)
MU train on express track passing through Bellaire
1956 W. J. Broschart photo, Dave Keller archive

BELLEROSE STATION

Opened: 1898
2nd Depot built: Summer/1909, Out of service: 12/12-15/60
Temporary station facilities relocated to Shoo-Fly south of former location: 12/15/60
Elevated, single island platform in service: 11/8/62 
Agency still noted in "Long Island Rail Road Ticket Office Hours" listing of
5/20/74 as part time.
Agency closed: ___?

Bellerose-Station_viewE_1960_ArtHuenke.jpg (79015 bytes)
Bellerose Station  view E 1960 Archive: Art Huneke
Bellerose-Station_eastbound-shelter_viewW-1939_ArtHuenke.jpg (60410 bytes)
Bellerose Station eastbound shelter view W 1939 Archive: Art Huneke
BELLPORT
Bellport-Station_viewSE_1962_Huneke.jpg (73424 bytes)
Bellport Station view SE 1962 Archive: Art Huneke

BUILT: SUMMER/1882, 
AGENCY CLOSED: 1/59, RAZED: 5/64
REPLACED WITH SHELTER SHED.
NEW DEPOT WITH HI-LEVEL PLATFORMS BUILT: 2000-2001

BLUE POINT
Blue-Point_LIRR-1555_RS3_viewNE_12-1962_BradPhillips.jpg (60936 bytes)
Blue Point LIRR RS3 #1555 view NE 12/02/1962 Photo: Brad Phillips
bluepoint_viewE_12-2-62_BradPhillips.jpg (42927 bytes)
Blue Point view E 12/02/1962 
Photo: Brad Phillips

S.S.R.R. depot opened: 2/1/1870, closed: 6/1/1882
2nd Depot opened: June/1900, agency closed:  6/1946, razed: 1951
Concrete shelter shed built: 1951.  discontinued as  station stop per G.O. #207, eff: 9/6/80

BRIDGEHAMPTON
BridgehamptonStation1958LIRRphoto.jpg (96751 bytes)
Bridgehampton Station 1958 Photo: LIRR Archive: Jim Gillin

OPENED: 6/1870, BURNED: 7/6/1884 2ND DEPOT BUILT: 1884, 
AGENCY CLOSED: 1958, DEPOT CLOSED: 1/59, RAZED: 5/64
3RD DEPOT WITH HI-LEVEL PLATFORMS BUILT: 2000-2001

 

CALVERTON
Station-Calverton-c.1915.jpg (80666 bytes)
Calverton station when it was west of the Edwards Ave. crossing and on the north side of the tracks.  It was sold in 1922 when the replacement depot was opened on the south side of the tracks and east of Edward’s Ave.
View NE c.1915
 

Had this depot still be in use in August, 1926, I believe it would have been wiped out in the Pickle Work’s wreck, due to its proximity to the pickle works and the way the locomotives and cars spun around. Archive/Research: Dave Keller

DEPOT BUILT: 1880 AS “BAITING HOLLOW”, CLOSED 
AND MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION: 1922

2ND DEPOT BUILT FURTHER EAST: 1922. AGENCY CLOSED: 1958
AND MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION.

LAST LISTED IN ETT #4, EFF: 5/85 BUT WITH NO TRAINS
STOPPING. NO LONGER LISTED IN PTT EFF: 5/1
6/86.

 

CENTRAL PARK STATION

 jpg (49806 bytes)
Central Park Station 09/1879 
Photo: George Brainard

ticket_Central-Park-Farmingdale_BradPhillips.jpg (45920 bytes)
Ticket Central Park to Farmingdale 1917-1920 Archive: Brad Phillips

Originally opened as “Jerusalem” c.1854. Station stop located one mile west of Bethpage Jct. Does not appear on LIRR timetables between 1842 and 1855, however it does appear in an April, 1854 LIRR advertisement in the “New York Times.”

The Post Office changed name of the town to Central Park in 1867 as it was located midway between Hyde Park (later New Hyde Park) and Deer Park.  The name of Station stop varies as follows:

Map of 1873 = Jerusalem timetable of 1877 = Central Park
Timetable of 4/1878 = Central Park
ETT and timetable of 11/1878 = Jerusalem 
Timetable of 3/1879 = Jerusalem
ETT of 9/1879 = Jerusalem photograph taken of depot by George Brainard in September, 1879 shows “Central Park” station sign on depot
Timetable of 7/1880 = Central Park (timetable info. Courtesy of Art Huneke) possible final change of name on LIRR timetables in 9/1879.  

2nd Depot built: 1884, Renamed “Bethpage”: 10/1/36. Razed: 1959

COLD SPRING HARBOR STATION
Cold Spring Harbor_viewE_1950's.jpg (143572 bytes)
Cold Spring Harbor view E 1950's
Archive: Brad Phillips

Built: 12/1875 as “Woodbury.”  
Renamed “Cold Spring” On  10/15/1880 Per G. O. #90.
Moved East Across County Line To Present Station Location: 1901- 02.
Renamed “Cold Spring Harbor.” Razed: 1948.
2nd Depot Built: 1948. Agency Closed:  ?

Research: Dave Keller  

ticket-Cold-Spring-Harbor-Syosset_7-24-62_BradPhillips.jpg (55746 bytes)
Ticket - Cold Spring Harbor and Syosset 
7/24/62  Archive: Brad Phillips

CEDARHURST STATION
Station-Cedarhurst-c.1900.jpg (50484 bytes)
Cedarhurst c.1900 view SW
Station-Cedarhurst-c.1910.jpg (45909 bytes)
Cedarhurst c.1910 view SW 

S.SIDE R.R. BEGAN SVC: 7/1869.
BUILT: 7/1872 (Per Vincent Seyfried’s LIRR history. 3-year gap??)
RIVAL L.I.R.R. ALSO BUILT DEPOT: 7/1872
AFTER MERGER OF 2 ROADS, OCEAN POINT DEPOT AND L.I.R.R. DEPOT ABANDONED: 6/1876
L.I.R.R. DEPOT MOVED TO FAR ROCKAWAY: 8/1881
S.S.R.R. DEPOT AT OCEAN POINT REOPENED: 6/1887, GREATLY REMODELED: 5/1888
3RD DEPOT BUILT: 1913. 
PORTE COCHERE AT REAR. REMOVED: 19 _?_. 
AGENCY CLOSED: 8/19/2009

CENTRAL ISLIP STATION
CentralIslip051954JimGillin.jpg (133298 bytes)
Central Islip Station 05/1954 view West Archive: Jim Gillin

OPENED: 11/4/1873 TO REPLACE “SUFFOLK” STATION FURTHER WEST. REMODELED c. 1916, RAZED: 8/58
2
ND DEPOT BUILT: 1958. AGENCY CLOSED: ? DEPOT CLOSED: 1987
3
RD DEPOT RELOCATED 1,700’ EAST OF FORMER LOCATION ON SOUTH
SIDE OF MAIN TRACK WITH HIGH LEVEL PLATFORMS IN SVC: 11/16/87. FACILITIES ON NORTH SIDE OF PASSING SIDING IN SVC: 12/14/87

 

StationCentral-Islip-c.1885.jpg (110719 bytes)
 Central Islip Station c.1885 Train Order Signal Archive: Dave Keller
Station-Central-Islip-Agt-Frank-Kelly-c.1910.jpg (116543 bytes)
Central Islip Station - Agent Frank Kelly c.1910
Train Order Signal has been removed. Archive: Dave Keller
EASTPORT STATION
EASTPORT-Station-1962_Art-Huneke.jpg (59502 bytes)
Eastport Station 1962 
Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

BUILT: 3/1870 AS “MORICHES” STATION ON ORIGINAL SAG
HARBOR BR., MOVED TO EASTPORT SITE: 10/18/1881, NEW
STOP IN SVC: 10/19/1881. 
REMODELED: 19 ?, OUT OF SVC: 10/6/58 AND DISCONTINUED AS STATION STOP. MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION: AFTER 1963

EAST HAMPTON STATION

BUILT: 1895. FULL-TIME AGENCY CLOSED: ? SUNDAY AGENCY ONLY: 2005 Research: Dave Keller

EastHamptonTicketofficecaseJan1975.jpg (110623 bytes)
East Hampton Ticket office case 01/1975 Photo/ Archive: Jim Gillin
EastHamptonEastendJan1975.jpg (99275 bytes)
East Hampton view W 01/1975 Photo/Archive: Jim Gillin
EastHamptonWestendAug1975.jpg (92440 bytes)
East Hampton view E 08/1975 Photo/ Archive: Jim Gillin

Until recent years, there was a porcelain sign on the rear exterior wall of the depot building that read “Carriages must not stand at this platform except while actually discharging or loading passengers.” It’s since disappeared from the wall . . . . .
The freight station was moved to a private location at one of the three LIRR trestles east of the station and was visible, if one looked specifically for it, while crossing over the street via said bridge while in an eastbound train, and looking south.  I cannot recall the name of the street in question, but there were three bridged roads east of the station. 
Info: Dave Keller

EAST WILLISTON STATION
EastWilliston1960.jpg (136363 bytes)
East Williston View SW 1960

EAST WILLISTON OYSTER BAY BRANCH BUILT: c. 1880. 
AGENCY CLOSED: 12/10/96. RAZED: 12/11/2004

FLORAL PARK STATION

G5sTrain-West-FloralPark-c.1937.jpg (78391 bytes)
LIRR G5s WB Floral Park c.1937

BUILT: OCT-NOV/1878 AS “STEWART JUNCTION.” RENAMED HINSDALE: 1879 WITH CLOSING OF CRR OF LI DEPOT. 
RENAMED EAST HINSDALE: 1887 – 1889. 
RENAMED FLORAL PARK: BY 1890. RAZED:1909
2ND, RELOCATED DEPOT BUILT: 1909, RAZED: 10/20/60
ELEVATED STRUCTURE BUILT: 1960. AGENCY CLOSED: 8/19/2009.

Note: Keystone station sign on the depot. “PARK” tower in the rear right background behind the man and crossing shanty at the end of the station platform on the other side of Tulip Ave. crossing. Info/Archive: Dave Keller  

FOREST HILLS STATION
ForestHillsStationViewE.jpg (96958 bytes)

FOREST HILLS MAIN LINE BUILT: 1906, CLOSED: 1911
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 8/5/1911. AGENCY
CLOSED: 8/19/2009.

Forest Hills station, eastbound side, with original sheltered bridge connection over the road in the center to the Forest Hills Hotel at the far right. View E. c. 1992

 

GARDEN CITY STATION - NASSAU BLVD
GardenCityStationNassauBlvdViewW1960.jpg (128699 bytes)
Garden City - Nassau Blvd. View W 1960 Photo: LIRR  Archive: Jim Gillin

BUILT: 1907. AGENCY CLOSED: ? (GARDEN CITY) 
DEPOT REMODELED: 2005.
not built by Stewart himself.

 

GLEN COVE - NASSAU STATION
Station-Glen Cove, Nassau-1903.jpg (53838 bytes)
Glen Cove view NE 1903

glencovestation1992.jpg (163650 bytes)
Glen Cove view NE 1992

 BUILT: JULY-AUG/1895. AGENCY (NASSAU) CLOSED: ?

Glen Cove, Nassau station, looking northeast 1903. Check out the bicycle propped against the ticket office rounded bay window, the hand truck near the bike and the old express wagon under the covered platform, center, and there are ELECTRIC platform lamps with wiring coming off the depot’s eaves! Info/Archive: Dave Keller

 GlenCove-AudreyHepburn-DavidDog.jpg (142240 bytes)
Glen Cove: 1954 movie "Sabrina" starring Audrey Hepburn 
with dog; David  Archive: Dave Morrision

GLEN HEAD STATION
Station-GlenHead-1910.jpeg (48252 bytes)
Glen Head c.1910GlenHeadStation1960LIRRphoto.jpg (107952 bytes)
Glen Head 1960 Photo: LIRR
 Archive: Jim Gillin

 

ORIGINAL DEPOT OPENED: 1/23/1865
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 5/1888, OUT OF SERVICE: 4/61 
WITH OPENING OF NEW DEPOT. OLD UNUSED DEPOT STOOD FOR AWHILE AFTERWARDS AND WAS RAZED.
3RD DEPOT IN SERVICE: 4/61. AGENCY CLOSED: ?

HEMPSTEAD STATION

Hempstead C.R.R. depot built: Oct-Dec/1872 at Fulton Avenue and became LIRR’s Hempstead Station and terminus in 1878. Remodeled: 7/1881. Razed: 1913.

2nd Depot opened: 2/1913. Temporary station in service: 1,265’ west of former location: 12/30/41 while tracks were cut back to Columbia Street. 2nd Depot moved to Columbia Street.: Upon completion of track work and placed in service: by 6/17/1943 (photo provenance with official valuation photo and date) Gutted by fire: 12/31/62 and remodeled. Razed: 1998

3rd Depot built: 1999-2000

Station-Hempstead-Newly Opened - 1913 (Keller).jpg (49579 bytes)
The brand new depot at Fulton Ave., Hempstead shortly after it opened in February, 1913.  This depot replaced the all-brick depot built by Alexander T. Stewart in 1872 for his Central Railroad of Long Island and used by the LIRR upon their acquisition of his railroad in 1878, as it was a better depot than the LIRR's own adjacent depot.  View is northwest (railroad west).  Note "Smith's Livery " at the left and the hitching post in the center foreground!  This image had to be photographed shortly after opening as there are NO handrails yet installed at the two concrete stair locations and no shrubbery in place.  It appears that the trees in the right background have leaves on them so this could be a May/June image.  The new terminal building would have been opened for only 3-4 months at the time this may have been taken.  (Dave Keller data and archive)

 

Hempstead-station-valuation_viewNW_6-17-1943.jpg (58144 bytes)
Hempstead Station valuation photo view NW 6/17/1943  

The image, above, shows the Hempstead station building after it was moved back to Columbia Street, from Fulton Ave.  The notation on the back of the image states that it's a "completion shot" but although it was photographed in June, 1943, it does not mean that the relocated depot was opened then.  It could have been opened a month earlier and the photographer only told to photograph it in June. Research: Dave Keller

Hard to imagine that the image from 1960 (right) shows the SAME depot with the same Spanish tiles (47 years in place!) yet after the major fire of 1962 the roof style was changed by eliminating the stylish upward curve of the eaves at the ends, ugly rooftop dormers were added which were NOT in keeping with the architectural style AND the Spanish tiles were replaced by hum-drum, 3-tab, asphalt roof shingles.

Hempstead-station-valuation_viewNW_6-17-1943_reverse.jpg (68243 bytes)
 Hempstead Station valuation photo view NW 6/17/1943 reverse

 

Hempstead-Station_viewN_1960.jpg (61389 bytes)
Hempstead Station view N 1960

Station-Hempstead-1969.jpg (70142 bytes)
Hempstead Station "refurbished" structure post-fire damage. 1969 view NW (J. P. Krzenski photo, Dave Keller archive)

HEWLETT STATION
Station-Hewlett-c. 1890.jpg (47392 bytes)
Station Hewlett c.1890
Station-Hewlett-MU Train-1959 (Edwards-Keller).jpg (89993 bytes)
Hewlett MU Train 1959 (Edwards-Keller)
Hewlett-Station_viewSE_1960_RonZiel.jpg (75129 bytes)
Hewlett  view SE 1960 
Archive: Ron Ziel
Station-Hewlett-Rear-1967 (Keller Photo and Archive).jpg (98895 bytes)
Hewlett Station view NW 1967 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller
Station-Hewlett-Rear-1968 (Keller Photo and Archive).jpg (90487 bytes)
Hewlett Station view NE 1968 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller
Station-Hewlett-Trackside_1968 (Keller Photo and Archive).jpg (129474 bytes)
Hewlett Station view SE 1968 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller
Hewlett-station_03-2004_WGilligan.jpg (84021 bytes)
Hewlett Station 03/2004 view NW
Photo: William Gilligan
hewlett-station.jpg (38272 bytes)
Hewlett Station view NE
Hewlett_03-2004_WGilligan.jpg (70241 bytes)
Hewlett Station 03/2004 view NW
Photo: William Gilligan

S. SIDE R.R. Began service: 7/1869 as “HEWLETTS.” 
Depot Built: 1870 (Per Vincent Seyfried’s LIRR History) on south side of tracks east of Franklin Ave.  Tradition says construction was paid for by the Hewlett Family. Replaced by new depot:   7/28/2003.  Still used by LIRR personnel and standing:  2014.

2nd Depot opened: 7/28/2003, on north side of, and perpendicular to the tracks and west of Franklin Ave.  
Agency closed: 8/19/2009.  

HOLTSVILLE STATION
HOLTSVILLE-Station_06-1960_Art-Huneke.jpg (57433 bytes)
Holtsville Station 06/1960 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

OLD STORE SERVED AS ORIGINAL “WAVERLY” DEPOT UPON OPENING OF LINE IN 1843, RENAMED HOLTSVILLE: 1860, ORIGINAL PRE-1843 STRUCTURE RAZED: 1912
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 5/14/12, BURNED: 1/4/14
3RD DEPOT BUILT: 1914. SUFFOLK TRACTION CO.’s 1912 STEEL
TRESTLE OVER TRACKS DEMOLISHED: 1930. 
AGENCY CLOSED: 1/1959. RAZED: 7/62.
REPLACED WITH SHEET METAL SHELTER SHED. SHED REMOVED BY LATE 1960s.
METAL AND PLEXIGLASS SHELTER SHED INSTALLED: 1987 WHICH 
REMAINED IN PLACE UNTIL DISCONTINUED
AS STATION STOP: 3/16/1998.

HUNTINGTON STATION
HuntingtonStation-UN-Block-Crossover-8-28-51.jpg (87036 bytes)
Huntington Station UN Block Crossover 08/28/1951 Archive/Info: Dave Keller

HUNTINGTON STA. BUILT: 1868 (?), CLOSED: 1909
2ND, RELOCATED DEPOT OPENED: 10/1909

 

KEW GARDENS STATION
kewgardens-FredRieder-1912+.jpg (127638 bytes)
Kew Gardens c.1912+ Archive: Jim Gillin

KEW OPENED: 9/8/1910 ON RE-ALIGNED MAIN LINE TRACKS 
SOUTH OF EX-MAPLE GROVE STATION SITE.
RENAMED “KEW GARDENS”: 1912. 
AGENCY CLOSED: 8/19/2009.

LITTLE NECK STATION
LittleNeckTrainStation_view SE_c.1910.jpg (48125 bytes)
Little Neck Station view SE c.1910

Little-Neck_viewNE_11-15-08_RAnderson.jpg (108958 bytes)
Little Neck view NE 11/05/08 
Photo: Robert Anderson

FLUSHING R.R.  Appears on timetable of 1866
NY & FLUSHING R.R.  Depot opened: July/1870
FLUSHING & N. SIDE R.R.  2ND Depot opened: 12/1890
Agency Closed:  8/19/2009

MANORVILLE STATION
Station-Manorville-Junction-1906.jpg (100231 bytes)
Archive: Dave Keller 

APPEARS ON TIMETABLE OF 6/14/1845 AS “ST. GEORGE’S
MANOR” AND LATER SHORTENED TO “MANOR.” 
RAZED: 9/1869 (Per local history, the first station agent, Seth Raynor, 
a patriot, painted out the “St. George’s,” leaving “Manor.”)

THE TOWN NAME CHANGED TO MANORVILLE WITH OPENING OF
THE POST OFFICE, BUT TIMETABLES AND LIRR DOCUMENTS
RETAINED THE NAME “MANOR” UNTIL c. 1907-1908. PHOTO OF
DEPOT TAKEN IN 9/1906 SHOWS “MANOR” STATION SIGN ON SIDE
OF BLDG. 

JUNCTION TO EASTPORT WITH NEW BRANCH TERMINATING AT SAG HARBOR CONSTRUCTED: 1870.
2ND DEPOT BUILT: 5/1871. RAZED: 6/41

MASTIC STATION
MASTIC-Station-1960_Art-Huneke.jpg (44059 bytes)
Mastic Station 1960
Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

BUILT: 1882 AS “FORGE”, RENAMED: 1893. 
STATION STOP DISCONTINUED: 7/15/60. 
MOVED 7,010’ WEST TO MASTIC-SHIRLEY. RAZED: 8/60

 

MILL NECK STATION
MP15ac-168_Mill-Neck_viewE_4-89_keller.jpg (113380 bytes)
U.S. post office building - LIRR MP15ac #168 at Mill Neck station view E  04/1989

Original depot opened:  11/1892 on east side of Shu Swamp to replace 
discontinued Bayville Station ½ mile further west. (per 11/3/1892 edition 
of “Brooklyn Daily Eagle” and John Hammond, Town of Oyster Bay official 
historian). Depot burned: 4/3/11
2nd depot opened: 1912.  Depot burned: 1918
3rd depot opened:  1919 slightly east of previous depots.
U.S. Post Office building added structurally to east side of 
depot building: 19 ? .
Agency closed: 1958. Discontinued as Station stop: 3/16/98

Archive/Info: Dave Keller

NAPEAGUE BEACH STATION
Station-Napeague Beach-View_E-c. 1924_Osborne-Keller.jpg (70670 bytes)
Napeague Beach view E c.1924 (Osborne-Keller)

Built: 1895
Shelter Shed Opened: 1924
Razed: 12/5/27 and discontinued as a Station Stop

Archive/Info: Dave Keller

NORTHPORT STATION
BUILT: MAY-JULY/1873, MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION 1927. RAZED: 1959,  2ND DEPOT BUILT: 1927 AGENCY CLOSED: 8/19/2009.  Research: Dave Keller
Station-Northport-Northport Traction-c. 1910.jpg (77009 bytes)
Northport c.1910

Northport station as it looked c. 1910 with a Northport Trolley behind the depot. Archive: Dave Keller

northport-c.1927JimGillin.jpg (78456 bytes)
Northport c. 1927  Archive: Jim Gillin

When I was an Extra Agent in the mid 1970's I covered a job that assisted in Northport on Monday mornings.  The regular Agent whose last name was Pederson gave  me this.  It is printed as a postcard. Info: Jim Gillin

 

ORIENTAL HOTEL STATION
Oriental Hotel Coney Island Manhattan Beach Shorpy 1903.jpg (45749 bytes)
Oriental Hotel Coney Island Manhattan Beach view E 1903 Photo: Shorpy Archive: Dave Keller

Behind the hotel on the bay side the LIRR had a right-of-way and train service.  The hotel had its own station called Oriental Hotel.

Station-Oriental Hotel-2-4-4t 211 with train-c.1893.jpg (128424 bytes)
Oriental Hotel Station 2-4-4t #211 with train 1898 View NE Archive: Dave Keller

Ornate depot in oriental style to service patrons of the beach front Oriental Hotel at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.

First appears on timetables of 1883. Discontinued ?

The Forney #211 was originally #154 built in 1892 and renumbered 1n 1898.

The rapid transit cars were built in 1898 -99 for Brooklyn Bridge service as the center doors were only used at Brooklyn Bridge where they were opened by men on the station platform.

The cars were wired for use with MP41's in 1905. Info: Art Huneke

PINE AIRE STATION
Pine-Aire-Station_viewSE_1960_Huneke.jpg (82721 bytes)
Pine Aire Station view SE 1960 Photo: Art Huneke

BUILT: 1915, RAZED: 6/62
DISCONTINUED AS STATION STOP: 10/27/86

 

PINELAWN STATION
Station-PinelawnCemetary-1910.jpg (45095 bytes)
Pinelawn Cemetery 1910
Archive: Dave Keller Station-Pinelawn-1908.JPG (73441 bytes)
Pinelawn 1908 
A
rchive: Dave Keller 

OPENED: 8/30/1904 WITH FANCY TICKET OFFICE LOCATED IN THE
MAIN LOBBY. IT WAS SAID THE OFFICE WAS NEVER PUT IN SVC.
BUILDING REMAINED IN SERVICE FOR CEMETERY BUSINESS UNTIL IT WAS DESTROYED BY FIRE IN 4/1928. WALLS STILL STANDING IN 1960. ARCHED ENTRANCE STILL STANDING UNTIL ELECTRIFICATION PROJECT BEGAN IN 1985.

 

PORT JEFFERSON

Station-Port-Jefferson-1905.jpg (88194 bytes)
Port Jefferson 1905
Archive: Dave Keller

OPENED: 1/1873, BURNED: 2/1/1874
2ND DEPOT BUILT: 6/1875
CLOSED: 1903 AND USED AS YARD BLDG, RAZED: 4/1963
3RD DEPOT OPENED: 7/25/03, REMODELED: 1968. 
STATION FACILITIES TEMPORARILY OUT OF SVC: 4/18/88.
TEMPORARY STATION FACILITIES 75’ WEST OF MAIN ST. IN SVC:
4/25/88.
MAIN BUILDING BACK IN SVC: ?
EXTERIOR RESTORED TO ORIGINAL ARCHITECTURE, INTERIOR
REMODELED: 2000-01.
ROSEDALE STATION
MP41TrainRosedale-c.1910.jpg (85245 bytes)
Rosedale c.1910 MP41 sandwich train: one steel car on either side of a center-door wooden trailer. Archive/Info: Dave Keller
Station-Rosedale-c. 1920.jpg (118967 bytes)
Rosedale C.1920 
Archive: Steve Swirsky

Station-Rosedale_4-14-1931.jpg (139603 bytes)
Rosedale view SE 4/14/1931 Archive: Dave Keller  

S.SIDE R.R.SVC.BEGAN:(ATLANTIC)10/28/1867 AS “FOSTER’S MEADOW.”
DEPOT BUILT: 7/1871 (4-yeargap??) OUT OF SVC: 1889. 
MAY HAVE BEEN USED AS FREIGHT HOUSE FOR 2ND DEPOT. RAZED: ?
2ND DEPOT BUILT: 1889. RENAMED “ROSEDALE”: 1892. EASTBOUND FACILITIES RELOCATED S. OF FORMER LOCATION: 11/26/41. RELOCATED N. AGAIN: 3/10/42 WITH CANCELLATION OF PROJECT. ALL FACILITIES AGAIN RERELOCATED S. OF FORMER LOCATION: 11/16-18/48 DUE TO GRADE ELIMINATION PROJECT.
DEPOT RAZED: 11/48. TEMPORARY FACILITIES IN SVC.SOUTH OF FORMER LOCATION:11/16-18/48 ELEVATED STRUCTURE OPENED WESTBOUND: 10/31/50, EASTBOUND:11/27/50. AGENCY CLOSED: 8/19/2009.
RosedalePostcardSteveSwirsky.jpg (103332 bytes)Rosedale colorized post card Archive: Steve Swirsky

 

 


 

rosedale_viewSW_c.1932.jpg (84878 bytes)Rosedale view SW 1931

SAG HARBOR STATION

Sag-Harbor-station_under-construction_1910.jpg (78998 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station under construction 1910Sag-Harbor-station_8-5-1963.jpg (67065 bytes)
Sag Harbor Station 8/05/1963
Photo: Brad Phillips
BrillGasCar-1134_Crew-SagHarbor-07-05-31DaveKeller.jpg (90949 bytes)
Sag Harbor Brill gas car #1134 crew 7/05/31 Archive: Dave Keller

OPENED: 1/1871, PERPENDICULAR TO END OF TRACK 
MOVED: 2/1871, BURNED: 11/1873
2ND DEPOT BUILT: 1873 MOVED TO S. SIDE OF TRACKS: 1902
UNDER RENOVATION 10/1908 WHEN MONEY FOR NEW DEPOT WAS
DONATED. USED AS FREIGHT/STORAGE BLDG FOR 3RD STATION.
3RD DEPOT BUILT: 1910 AGENCY CLOSED: 1932. 
OUT OF SVC: 5/3/39 WITH BRANCH ABANDONMENT: 5/3/39.
USED AS PRIVATE BUSINESS, RAZED: 1966
**EXPRESS HOUSE BUILT: 1900. IN USE AS PRIVATE BUSINESS: 2003

 Brill Gas Car 1134 at Sta - Sag Harbor-04-1939 (Keller Archive).jpg (38445 bytes)
Sag Harbor Brill gas car #1134 04/1939 
Archive: Dave Keller

SETAUKET STATION

SETAUKET PT. JEFFERSON FREIGHT STATION BUILT: 2/1877 AND USED AS DEPOT. 
ACTUAL DEPOT BUILT: JAN-FEB/1883
AGENCY CLOSED: ? . RAZED: 10/3/60. 
DISCONTINUED AS STATION STOP: c. 1980
Research: Dave Keller

Station-Setauket-Bob-Emery-c.1958_Slade-Huneke.jpg (104880 bytes)
Setauket Station 1958 view NW
Photo: Slade Archive: Art Huneke

Station-Setauket-1959.jpg (114043 bytes)
Setauket Station 1959 view NE
Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

SHINNECOCK HILLS STATION
Shinnecock-Hills_westbound-train_viewE_1964_BradPhillips.jpg (76475 bytes)
Train westbound at Shinnecock Hills view E 1964 Archive: Brad Phillips

lirr212-Shinnecock-Hills-station_viewW_1966_PatrickHamill.jpg (33080 bytes)
LIRR #212 C420  eastbound at Shinnecock Hills view W 1966 Photo: Patrick Hamill

Built: 4-5/1887, Closed: 9/32, Used as U.S. Post Office.  Still standing as of 2013 and named a Southampton Town Historical Landmark. 

The LIRR built its branch from Manorville SE to Moriches and then E along the south shore to Bridgehampton and NE up to Sag Harbor in 1870.  In 1881, the LIRR extended the former SSRR from Patchogue to connect with this branch at the new junction at Eastport, and the Moriches station on the old Sag Harbor branch a short distance west of this junction was lifted off its foundation and moved east and renamed Eastport.  The line was extended from Bridgehampton further east to Montauk in 1895.  Research: Dave Keller

shinnecock-hills-station_viewW_c.1960s_SteveHoskins.jpg (96898 bytes)
Shinnecock Hills Station view W early 1960's Photo: Steve Hoskins
Station-Shinnecock Hills-View SE-05-07-78 (Madden-Keller).jpg (77561 bytes)
Shinnecock Hills view SE 5/07/1978 (Madden-Keller)
Station-Shinnecock Hills-View SE-From Locomotive-c. 1985 (Collins-Keller).jpg (69896 bytes)
Shinnecock Hills view SE from loco cab c.1985 (Collins-Keller)
SMITHTOWN STATION

BUILT: NOV-DEC/1872, CLOSED: 11/6/36, WITH GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION OF ROUTES 25 AND 25A. MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION: EARLY IN 1937. 2ND, ELEVATED DEPOT IN SVC: 2/18/37. REMODELED: 1987 WITH HI-LEVEL PLATFORM INSTALLATION. Research: Dave Keller

smithtown_jimgillin.jpg (128927 bytes)
Smithtown Archive: Jim Gillin

Once high-level platforms were installed at the station to handle the new push-pull service, the overhanging eaves trackside had to be cut back to allow for passenger clearance overhead, totally ruining the architectural lines of the depot building.

When it was decided to eliminate the grade crossing in Smithtown and construct a new depot building, the old, original structure was moved south of the location to Lawrence street to become a private residence. Info: Dave Keller

 

SOUTHAMPTON STATION

SouthamptonStationPostcard.jpg (80122 bytes)
Southampton Station post card c. 1905
Photo/Archive: Jim Gillin

SouthamptonStation06-1975JimGillin.jpg (86085 bytes)
Southampton Station 06/1975 
Photo/Archive: Jim Gillin

OPENED: 2/1871, RAZED: 1902
2ND DEPOT BUILT: 1902. FULL-TIME AGENCY CLOSED: ? SUNDAY AGENCY ONLY: 2005.

 

SouthamptonTicketOffice6-75JimGillin.jpg (100632 bytes) SouthamptonTicketOfficeDesk6-75JimGillin.jpg (110988 bytes)

 

Southampton Station Ticket Office
06/1975 
SouthamptonStationWaitingRoom6-75JimGillin.jpg (82794 bytes)
The fireplace and the unique benches on the east wall.  The Agent at the time was Charlie Mueller.  He supplied the rocking chairs and the artifacts.
SouthamptonTicketWindows6-75JimGillin.jpg (78243 bytes)
The ticket counter and windows.  
When I worked there as a Vacation Relief Agent, we only used the window on the right, but Dick Makse says that in the 1960's that the left window was used on Sundays for Parlor car  tickets only. Also on Sundays there was a block operator to report trains to the Dispatcher and issue A and K cards. The operator was there when I worked there.
Photos/Archive: Jim Gillin
SOUTHOLD STATION
H10s-108-Freight-West-Past-Southold-12-1954.jpg (92919 bytes)
LIRR #108 H10s westbound freight Southold Station 12/1954   
Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

SOUTHOLD MAIN LINE 1ST DEPOT APPEARS ON TIMETABLE
OF 6/14/1845.
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 1/1870
AGENCY CLOSED: 1958, RAZED: 6/62
3RD DEPOT WITH HI-LEVEL PLATFORMS BUILT: 2000-01
Research: Dave Keller

SYOSSET STATION

Built: 1872 at Lockwood’s Grove, Far Rockaway  Moved: 9/1877
Greatly Remodeled: 1944, Razed: 1948
2nd Depot Built: 1948
Research: Dave Keller

Syosset_viewE_Winter1961_IrvingSolomon.jpg (135217 bytes)
Syosset Station view E winter 1961 Photo: Irving Solomon 
Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket-Syosset-Cold-Spring_12-03-62_BradPhillips.jpg (63536 bytes)
Ticket - Syosset to Cold Spring Harbor 12/03/62 Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket-Syosset-Huntington_11-26-76_BradPhillips.jpg (61206 bytes)
Ticket - Syosset to Huntington 11/26/76 Archive: Brad Phillips
WANTAGH STATION
Wantagh-Station_viewNW_summer1960_Huneke.jpg (69385 bytes)
Wantagh Station view NW summer 1960 Photo: Art Huneke

S. SIDE R. R. SVC. BEGAN: 10/28/67. DEPOT BUILT: 1875 AS “RIDGEWOOD” (8-year gap??) RENAMED “WANTAGH”: ? CLOSED AND MOVED: 1966 WITH GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION, RESTORED AS MUSEUM: 1969

TEMPORARY STATION ACCOUNT GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION
IN SVC: 8/24/66. OUT OF SVC: 10/22/68 AND RAZED.

ELEVATED STRUCTURE IN SVC: 10/22/68.

WantaghOldStationTempTracks.jpg (96748 bytes)
Wantagh Station and tempory tracks. View E
Archive: Dave Keller
WantaghStationMove.jpg (79653 bytes)
Wantagh Station move
Archive: Dave Keller 
WantaghTempWest.jpg (84607 bytes)
Wantagh temporary track - view W
Archive: Dave Keller 
WantaghEliminationWest.jpg (74059 bytes)
Wantagh Station elimination
view W -
Archive: Dave Keller 
WantaghHistoricalSociety.jpg (71630 bytes)
Wantagh Station at Wantagh Historical Society
Station-Wantagh-NE-11-12-63 (Lichtenstern-Keller).jpg (80612 bytes)
Wantagh Station - viewNE 11/12/63
Wm. Lichtenstern photo, Dave Keller archive

 

WATERMILL STATION

Built: Aug-Sept/1875. Listed on timetables of 1883 as "Water Mills" (2 words).  
Listed on timetables of 1885 as "Watermills" (one word) and finally listed as "Watermill" 
until discontinued as a station stop.

2nd depot opened: 8/1903, Agency closed: 1940s.  Last listed as station stop in ETT #3, eff: 6/24/56.  
Listed on LIRR station symbol card eff: 8/31/57. Structure left standing and abandoned.  
Completely renovated: 1968 for use as a dress shop.  Later became a restaurant.  
2013 was externally restored to be part of office condominiums surrounding the old depot grounds.  

Station-Watermill-10-25-1917_Huneke.jpg (120862 bytes)
Watermill Station 10/25/1917 Archive: Art Huneke
Watermill-Station-2013.jpg (85991 bytes)
Watermill Station 2013 incorporated into a condo complex.
Watermill-Station-postcard_c.1906_BradPhillips.jpg (167477 bytes)
Watermill Station colorized postcard c.1096 Archive: Brad Phillips
YAPHANK STATION

1st Depot appears on timetable of 6/14/1845 as “Milleville” probably replacing the temporary Carman’s River/ Fire Place station opened at or near the site in June, 1844 with temporary end of track renamed “Yaphank”: 1846.
2nd Depot built: 1875. Agency closed: 1958, razed: 1961
3rd Depot built with hi-level platforms: 2000-01

Yaphank-depot_c. 1900_Keller.jpg (61643 bytes)
Yaphank depot c. 1900 view SE Archive: Dave Keller

Yaphank-depot_c. 1921.jpg (56378 bytes)
Yaphank depot c. 1921 view E
ticket_LIC-Yaphank_10-5-1889_Keller.jpg (68196 bytes)
Ticket LI City to Yaphank 10/05/1889 Archive: Dave Keller