Port Jefferson Branch

Built:  Hicksville to Syosset, by Hicksville & Cold Spring Branch R.R.: 1854, which was then leased to LIRR and eventually acquired by the LIRR: 1863
Built:  Syosset to Northport, by the LIRR: 1868 (became the end of the “Old Northport” spur.)
Built:  Northport Junction to Port Jefferson, by the Smithtown & Port Jefferson R. R. Co. (LIRR subsidiary): 1870
Built:  Port Jefferson to Wading River by the LIRR Co. North Shore Branch (LIRR subsidiary): 1895
First train: Smithtown to Port Jefferson: 11/12/1873
Doubletrack:
Hicksville to “S” cabin, Syosset: 1911-12, Syosset to “S” cabin (MP 31): 1914 (“S” cabin was moved from Syosset to MP 31: 1914)
All block limit signals once had semaphores with the exception of “MI” and “WG.”
Unattended block signals added at “SJ,” “BK,” “AU,” and “JF”,  PRR “K” card system new: 5/1928
Abandoned:  MP 58 east of Port Jefferson to Wading River: 10/9/1938
Last Day: Railway Express Agency service on Port Jefferson branch: 2/3/1961   Research: Robert Emery’s Notes

"DIVIDE" TOWER  

DIVIDE” TOWER: 1  HICKSVILLE - (PREVIOUSLY “HX”, “HN” TOWERS) (PORT JEFFERSON BRANCH AND MAIN LINE DIVIDE AT JUNCTION. 
LOCATED BETWEEN LEGS OF WYE, EAST OF STATION. RENAMED: 4/23/37. US&S 9 STATION TRAFFIC CONTROL CENTER CONTROL PANEL IN SVC:  10/7/61. TOWER OUT OF SVC: 11/13/62 WITH GRADE ELIMINATION.

DIVIDE” TOWER: 2   HICKSVILLE - NEW TOWER BUILT DIRECTLY BEHIND OLD TOWER DURING GRADE ELIMINATION. IN SVC:  11/13/62.  OUT OF SVC:  9/12/64. TRANS-CONTROL 19 LEVER  CONTROL PANEL IN SVC:  9/12/64.  US&S 14 STATION TRAFFIC CONTROL CENTER CONTROL PANEL IN SVC: 9/12/64

Emery-Map-Hicksville-PortJeffBranchMP25-26.jpg (153092 bytes)
Emery map Hicksville-Divide Tower  MP25-26
FM C-liner EB Getting Orders at DIVIDE - Hicksville - 12-54 (Keller).jpg (66201 bytes)
FM C-liner eastbound hooping orders at DIVIDE 12/1954
Tower-DIVIDE-Hicksville-View SE-1962 (Keller)..jpg (101609 bytes)
DIVIDE Tower, Hicksville View SE 1962
54-Hicksville.jpg (186406 bytes)
LIRR 1966 Hicksville - Syosset  map #54
Tower-DIVIDE -New Tower Under Constr.-RS3-1559-Temp Tracks-View E - 04-63 (Keller).jpg (98266 bytes)
DIVIDE Tower The new tower under construction  - RS3 #1559 
on temporary tracks View E 04/1963
Tower-DIVIDE -New Tower Under Constr.-RS3-1558-Temp Tracks-View W - 04-63 (Keller).jpg (95881 bytes)
DIVIDE Tower The new tower under construction  - RS3 #1558 on 
temporary tracks View W 04
/1963

LANDIA

LOW PLATFORMS IN SVC: 12/15/52 BOTH SIDES OF TRACK TO SERVICE EMPLOYEES OF CIRCLE WIRE (LATER CERRO WIRE). CLOSED: 10/3/73

Emery_Landia_MP27-28_1957.jpg (121668 bytes)
Emery map Landia MP27-28 9/1957


MU Railfan Extra EB at Sta-Landia - 1970 (Edwards-Keller).jpg (64391 bytes)
MU Railfan Extra eastbound at Landia Station 1970 
(Edwards-Keller)

SYOSSET

Built: 1872 at Lockwood’s Grove, Far Rockaway 
Moved: 9/1877 Greatly Remodeled: 1944, Razed: 1948  2nd Depot Built: 1948 Research: Dave Keller

Station-Syosset-View NE-c. 1912.JPG (90059 bytes)
Syosset Station View NE c.1912
Station-Syosset-After-Rebuilding-1944.jpg (63530 bytes)
Syosset Station after rebuilding 1944
Syosset_viewE_Winter1961_IrvingSolomon.jpg (135217 bytes)
Syosset Station view E winter 1961 Photo: Irving Solomon 
Archive: Brad Phillips 
ticket-Syosset-Cold-Spring_12-03-62_BradPhillips.jpg (63536 bytes)
Ticket - Syosset to Cold Spring Harbor 12/03/62 
Archive: Brad Phillips
ticket-Syosset-Huntington_11-26-76_BradPhillips.jpg (61206 bytes)
Ticket - Syosset to Huntington 11/26/76 Archive: Brad Phillips
COLD SPRING HARBOR

Built: 12/1875 as “Woodbury”  
Renamed “Cold Spring” On  10/15/1880 Per G. O. #90
Moved East Across County Line To Present Station Location: 1901- 02.  Renamed “Cold Spring Harbor.” Razed: 1948
2nd Depot Built: 1948. Agency Closed: ?

Note: Renamed Cold Spring Harbor, as there already was a 
Cold Spring in upstate NY.

Cold Spring Harbor by Edward Lange.jpg (170602 bytes)
"Woodbury" by Edward Lange
Station-Cold Spring-c. 1905.jpg (100371 bytes)
Cold Spring Harbor Station c.1905
G5s-33-Train-4613-Cold Spring Harbor-2-2-47 (Votava-Keller).jpg (109802 bytes)
Cold Spring Harbor G5s #33 
Train #4613 2/02/1947 (Votava-Keller)
Cold Spring Harbor_viewE_1950's.jpg (143572 bytes)
Cold Spring Harbor view E 1950's
Archive: Brad Phillips
ticket-Cold-Spring-Harbor-Syosset_7-24-62_BradPhillips.jpg (55746 bytes)
Ticket - Cold Spring Harbor and Syosset 
7/24/62  Archive: Brad Phillips

HUNTINGTON

HUNTINGTON STATION. BUILT: 1868 (?) CLOSED: 1909 2nd RELOCATED DEPOT OPENED: 10/1909

Station-Huntington- 6-9-1907 (Keller).jpg (76439 bytes) 
Huntington Station 6/09/1907

The old Huntington Station located west of New York Avenue (Emery map 1957 location #7 map below), showing a crowd waiting for the New York train due to arrive at 10:12 am, June 9, 1907. Note the summer trolley at right and Petit's Grain and Feed Depot.  View NW

Huntington by Edward Lange.jpg (183732 bytes)
 Huntington by Edward Lange

Huntington-Belcher-Hyde-map_1917_DaveMorrison.jpg (278427 bytes)
Huntington Belcher-Hyde map 1917
Archive: Dave Morrison
Emery_Huntington_MP34-35_9-57.jpg (489489 bytes)
Emery map MP34-35  9/1957
55-Huntington.jpg (109745 bytes)
LIRR 1966 Huntington map #55
Huntington-LIRR-map-1986-page42.jpg (55548 bytes)
LIRR 1986 Huntington map Archive: Jeff Erlitz 
Grade Crossing Elimination Project 1909
Archive: Bill Ahern, whose grandfather was the construction foreman on the project.
Huntington-Construction_new-station_Bill Ahern.jpg (108437 bytes)
Huntington Construction 1909 grade crossing (New York Ave. - Route 110) elimination. New station under construction in background. View E.
Huntiington-Construction_ 1909-bridge_Bill Ahern.jpg (97848 bytes)
Huntington Construction 1909 grade crossing view S along New York Ave.
Huntington- Construct-Route-110_girder-bridge_old-station_background_Bill Ahern.jpg (94572 bytes)
Huntington Construction 1909 grade crossing (New York Ave.) elimination. Old  station in background. 
View W.
Huntington- Construction_Bill Ahern.jpg (133209 bytes)
Huntington Construction 1909 grade crossing elimination  horse team and construction worker.
Huntington- Construction_Route110-girder-bridge_Bill Ahern.jpg (103751 bytes)
Huntington Construction 1909 grade crossing (New York Ave.) elimination. Old station in background. View SW across Route 110.
Huntington- Construction_Station_Bill Ahern.jpg (120557 bytes)
Huntington Construction 1909 grade crossing (New York Ave.) elimination. New station under construction. View NW.
Huntington Station Action
4-4-0 D55a No. 80-Wading  River Train-Leaving Huntington-1904.jpg (86520 bytes)
LIRR #80 4-4-0 D55a westbound from Wading River.  View is NE from west of the depot, looking towards the depot 1904
G5s-39-Train-East at Huntington - 1950 (Edwards-Keller).jpg (82071 bytes)
LIRR #39 G5s train eastbound at Huntington 1950 (Edwards-Keller)
FA2 603-Push-Pull train 604-Pt Jeff-Hunt-Shuttle-E at Huntington - 7-26-72 (C420 227 power end).jpg (82014 bytes)
FA2 #603 Push-Pull train 604 Port Jefferson Shuttle eastbound at Huntington 7/26/72 LIRR #227 C420 
at power end
2nd Huntington Station - Opened October 1909
HUNTINGTON STATION
. BUILT: 1868 (?), CLOSED: 1909 2nd RELOCATED DEPOT OPENED: 10/1909
LIRR Huntington Station Floor Plan - Electric Ry Journal-1909.jpg (286970 bytes)
Huntington Station Floor Plan Electric Railway Journal 1909 Archive: Unknown
Huntington-Station_colorized_viewS_c.1910.jpg (131175 bytes)
Huntington Station colorized post card view S c.1910
Huntington-Station_viewW_c.1914.jpg (80833 bytes)
Huntington Station view W c.1914 
Huntington-Station_viewNE_c.1910.jpg (133962 bytes)
Huntington Station view NE c.1910
Huntington-Station_viewNE_c.1940.jpg (90231 bytes)
Huntington Station view NE c.1940 
Huntington-Station_viewNE_c.1915.jpg (128989 bytes)
Huntington Station view NE c.1915
Huntington-Station_viewNE_c.1915-2.jpg (81142 bytes)
Huntington Station view NE c.1915 
Eastbound Express House in background
 Huntington-Station_colorized_viewS_c.1920.jpg (142599 bytes)
Huntington Station colorized post card view S c.1920 
Station-Huntington-Snow-View W-c. 1928 (Keller).jpg (99249 bytes)
Huntington Station in snow view W  5/23/1928+
Huntington-Station_viewW_1940.jpg (92073 bytes)
Huntington Station view W 1940
Station-Huntington-UN-Block-Crossover-8-28-51 (Keller).jpg (65246 bytes)
Under construction westbound Express House  foreground and Huntington Station at "UN" block crossover 08/28/1951 View E
Station-UN-Block-Crossover-Huntington-8-28-51-closeup (Keller).jpg (97616 bytes)
Huntington Station "UN" Block crossover 8/28/51 close-up view E

"UN" HUNTINGTON (1878 Book of Rules and 1903 CR4) (In ticket office Manual Block Signals in service: 9/8/1915 per ETT #79 (Art Huneke data). Unattended block station signal in service: 5/23/28. Permissive block aspect added to block signals: 6/25/28. Block signals relocated  260’ west of former location converted to position light signals: 2/16/59. Block station and block limit station limit signals Out of Service: 5/22/62)

Form-19-Train Order-UN-Huntington-10-30-28.jpg (192955 bytes)
Form 19 Train Order "UN" Huntington 10/30/1928
Form-19-Train Order-UN-Huntington-12-19-32.jpg (164004 bytes)
Form 19 Train Order "UN" Huntington 12/185/1932
Huntington Express Houses and Freight Houses
Frt-Sta-Huntington-NE-1969 (Keller-Keller).jpg (92690 bytes)
Huntington Freight Station View NE located west
 of New York Ave. 1969
Express House-Huntington-10-1918 (LIRR-Keller).jpg (128695 bytes)
Huntington Eastbound Express House located east of the station Valuation photo 10/03/1918. View NE
Express House-Huntington-View E-11-04-1921 (LIRR-Huneke).jpg (74179 bytes)
Huntington Eastbound Express House View E from New York Ave. 11/04/1921 (LIRR-Huneke)
Station-Huntington-View E-11-04-1921 (LIRR-Huneke).jpg (122654 bytes)
Huntington Westbound Express House and Station View E from just west of New York Ave. girder bridge 11/04/21 (LIRR-Huneke)
Express House - Huntington_1942.jpg (69749 bytes)
Huntington Westbound Express House
1942 View W  Photo: Unknown
Express House-Huntington-View W- 12-1962 (Brad Phillips).jpg (88919 bytes)
Huntington Westbound Express House 
View W 12/1962 Archive: Brad Phillips 
Huntington Shelter
Archive: Dave Morrison
Huntington-shelter-slate-roof_late1940s_Weber-Morrison.jpg (193726 bytes)
Huntington Shelter slate roof. View E late 1940s (Weber-Morrison)
Huntington-shelter_late1940s_Weber-Morrison.jpg (223549 bytes)
Huntington Shelter slate roof. View NW late 1940s (Weber-Morrison)
 

 

Huntington-shelter-drawing_side_DaveMorrison.jpg (201609 bytes)
Huntington Shelter drawing - side 10/16/1995

Huntington-shelter-drawing_10-16-95_DaveMorrison.jpg (243597 bytes)
Huntington Shelter drawing 10/16/1995
Huntington-shelter-drawing_front__DaveMorrison.jpg (106656 bytes)
Huntington Shelter drawing -front 10/16/1995
Huntington-Station-Shelter_4-13_viewSW_DaveMorrison.jpg (202605 bytes)
Huntington Station Shelter 4/2013 view SW 
Huntington-Station-Shelter_4-13_viewNW_DaveMorrison.jpg (197725 bytes)
Huntington Station Shelter 4/2013 view NW 
Huntington-Station-Shelter_4-13_viewN_DaveMorrison.jpg (167305 bytes)
Huntington Station Shelter 4/2013 view N 

This shelter was supposed to be demolished as part of the 1995 station renovation project. I was the Port Jefferson Branch Line Manager at the time. At a meeting with Capital Programs, I protested the shelter demolition, contending that the shelter should be restored and that it would then enhance the beauty of the entire project. Project Manager, Boris Gutman, agreed with me and had the shelter completely restored, putting on a new slate roof, re-staining the wood columns and repairing the stone walls. Well done Boris! 

Well, don't let any good dead go unpunished.  About a decade later, some dummy in the Engineering Department decided that the beautiful, natural-wood columns should be painted with white paint.  See the last three photographs.  What a shame!  Then, to add insult to injury, the paint has been allowed to peel and now the shelter looks horrible. Dave Morrison

Huntington Electrification
Huntington is presently the terminus of electrification on the Port Jefferson Branch. The project was extended from Mineola and completed October 13, 1970 with service commencing on October 19, and since then the station has become an intermediate transfer point for off-peak riders between electric trains to and from Penn Station and diesel scoot trains to Port Jefferson.  Huntington-Electrification_news-article_DaveMorrison.jpg (131771 bytes)
Huntington Electrification news article 10/22/70 Archive: Dave Morrison
Electrification-ash-tray_10-13-1970_DaveMorrison.jpg (64708 bytes)

Huntington  Electrification ash tray project completion 10/13/1970 Archive: Dave Morrison

Huntington Industries
Kleet-Lumber_Huntington_2016.jpg (106671 bytes)
Kleet Lumber Huntington aerial view 2016
GREENLAWN

BUILT: 1868 AS "CENTERPORT" RENAMED "GREENLAWN." BURNED: 1909. 
2nd DEPOT OPENED: 9/1911. AGENCY CLOSED: ? 

Station-Greenlawn-Original Bldg-c. 1890.JPG (89512 bytes)
Greenlawn Station original building c.1890
Greenlawn by Edward Lange.jpg (131434 bytes)
Greenlawn by Edward Lange
56-Greenlawn.jpg (51957 bytes)
LIRR 1966 Greenlawn map #56
Station-Greenlawn - 1918 (LIRR-Keller).jpg (90541 bytes)
Greenlawn Station - LIRR valuation photo 2/14/1918
Third Rail Test Track for Newly-Arrived DM Locomotives-Greenlawn-View NW-5-22-98 (Keller).jpg (134523 bytes)
Greenlawn - Third rail test track for newly arrived 
DM Locomotives  view NW 5/22/1998
OLD NORTHPORT (Abandoned 1899)

BUILT: JAN-MAR/1868. IN SVC 04/25/1868 (Art. Huneke data) ETT #10, EFF: 06/28/1899 INDICATES LAST PSGR. SVC. (Art Huneke data)
ABANDONED: 10/17/1899. SPUR USED ONLY FOR FREIGHT SERVICE THEREAFTER

Northport-Kings-Park_HenryRaudenbusch-map_c.1950_Huneke.jpg (17717 bytes)
Northport - Kings Park map -Henry Raudenbusch  c.1950

Northport-Terminal_c.1875_ArtHuneke.jpg (45794 bytes)
Northport Terminal c.1875
ETT_4-4-1880_Huneke.jpg (66652 bytes)
July 4, 1880 ETT shows "Old Northport" and "New Northport".  Train #505 ran as a passenger train to 
Old Northport then as a mixed train to Port Jefferson.
RDCs-3101-3121_Old-Northport_9-56-Special_(Rugen-Huneke).jpg (108452 bytes)
RDC's #3101, #-3121 Old Northport 9/1956 Special (Rugen-Huneke)
Old-Northport_Hagstrom-map-1941_ArtHuneke.jpg (107873 bytes)
Northport 1941 Hagstrom map
Northport-Coal-Lumber_Church-St._1941_Huneke.jpg (53799 bytes)
Northport Coal and Lumber at Church St. 1941

The Hicksville & Cold Spring Branch Railroad was built from Hicksville to Syosset in 1854. It was leased to the Long Island Railroad, and sold to it in 1863. Syosset was at this time an important terminal, and people came from Huntington and Northport in their carriages down to Syosset to take the trains. A few wealthy members of the Jones family of Cold Spring Village, undertook the enterprise of grading the road to their village, which they did in 1862. This road enters Cold Spring along the west side of the stream and mill ponds. But after the line had been graded a dispute arose between the members of the Jones family and the Long Island Railroad as to the exact location of the terminal. As the parties could not agree, the railroad finally abandoned the idea altogether, and when the road was finally extended to Northport the route was a more inland one, leaving Cold Spring to the north.

In 1867 a right-of-way and depot site in Huntington had been granted by the town to the Long Island Railroad, but Oliver Charlick got into a dispute with certain landholders, and with characteristic obstinacy, refused to yield. The road fell through, the more liberal terms of Northport being accepted. The Long Island Railroad extended the branch to Northport Village, leaving Huntington Village to the north, in April, 1868. For quite a few years there was no station opposite Cold Spring, the passengers from that village being obliged to go to either Syosset or Huntington. This aroused the antagonism of the villagers to a great extent. Soon after, however, a station called "Cold Spring Harbor" was established at the small settlement of Woodbury.

The Long Island Railroad stimulated the building of a further extension by a subsidiary company, the Smithtown & Port Jefferson Railroad Company, in 1870. This extension left the old line at Northport junction, on the highlands back of Northport Village, and continued to Port Jefferson. The first station, known as East Northport, soon became known merely as Northport Station, the line into the village from Northport junction being abandoned. Research: Felix E. Reifschneider

NORTHPORT

BUILT: MAY-JULY/1873, MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION 1927.  RAZED: 1959
2ND DEPOT BUILT: 1927 AGENCY CLOSED: 8/19/2009

Northport by Edward Lange.jpg (80721 bytes)
Northport by Edward Lange

Northport-Station_Northport Traction-c. 1910.jpg (77009 bytes)
Northport station as it looked c. 1910 with a 
Northport Trolley behind the depot.
Station-Northport-H3 2-8-0 No 162 Pulling 1st Train from Penn Sta - Northport Traction No. 601 - 9-8-10 (Keller).jpg (132159 bytes)
Northport Station -  H3 2-8-0 #162 First train from 
Penn Station - Northport Traction #601 9/08/1910
Station-N'Port Traction Car 602-Northport - c. 1912 (Keller).jpg (121184 bytes)
Northport Station - Traction Car #602 c.1912
northport-c.1927_JimGillin.jpg (78456 bytes)
When I was an Extra Agent, in the mid-1970's, I covered a job that assisted in Northport on Monday mornings.  The regular Agent whose last name was Pederson gave me this.  It is printed as a postcard, c.1928  Archive: Jim Gillin
57-Northport.jpg (47048 bytes)
LIRR 1966 Northport map #57

 

ALCO FA1 615 and Push-Pull Train West on Trestle Over-Bread-and-Cheese-Hollow-Rd - Northport, NY - 11-80 (Mazzarone-Keller).jpg (52940 bytes)
ALCO FA1 #615 - Push-Pull train westbound on Bread and Cheese Hollow Rd. Trestle 11/1980 (Mazzarone-Keller)
Station-Northport (Original Bldg in Private Use) - 1957 (Keller).jpg (109680 bytes)
Northport Station original building in private use 1957
FA1-616-W at Old Northport Jct-2-26-77 (Madden-Keller).jpg (102902 bytes)
FA1 #616 westbound at Old Northport Junction
 View E 2/26/77 (Madden-Keller)
KINGS PARK

BUILT: NOV-DEC/1872 AS ST. JOHNSLAND. RENAMED “KINGS PARK”: 6/1891 (Per V. F. Seyfried) RAZED: 1948 2nd DEPOT BUILT: 1948. REMODELED: ? AGENCY CLOSED: ? 

LIRR-RS-3_1560_1962-64.jpg (87236 bytes)
RS-3 #1560 in Goodfellow Gray view E Winter 1962-64

kings-park_RS-3-1558_viewNE_c.1964+.jpg (88870 bytes)
RS-3 #1558 view E c.1964+
kingparkstation.jpg (34057 bytes)
Photo: Fred Lindauer c.1980's view W

Kings Park Hospital Spur
Emery Map 9/1957
MP43-44kingsparkemery.jpg (85813 bytes)
MP43-44 Kings Park Emery Map 9/1957

KingsPark58.jpg (53238 bytes)
LIRR 1966 Track Map #58

Station-Kings-Park-1-66.jpg (97085 bytes)
Station view NE 01/1966 
Notice the LIRR MOW truck in the right background. It looks like an old REA truck, but it's got Dashing Dan in the round yellow circle.  

Also. look behind the depot at the left. There appears to
 be a hospital train laying up back there. 
Info/Archive: Dave Keller

 

G5s-50_Train WB at Sta-Kings Park State Hospital - 3-1936 (Harrison-Keller).jpg (85620 bytes)
G5s #50 Train westbound at Kings Park State Hospital 
Station 3/1936 (Harrison-Keller)
Station-Kings Park-JO Block Limit Signals-View NE - c. 1937 (Winslow-Keller).jpg (62343 bytes)
Kings Park Station -  JO Block Limit Signal View E)
H10s-113_ Frt Backing EB on Hospital Spur-Kings Park  (View E) - 08-55 (Higginbotham-Keller).jpg (79943 bytes)
H10s #113 freight backing onto hospital siding behind Kings Park station 08/25/55 (Higginbotham-Keller)
Wreck-Train-4612-Kings-PK-2-16-47-4.jpg (147294 bytes)
Wreck  at Kings Park
06/16/47 Aerial view 
shortly after the wreck. Photo: Daily News  
RS3-1551_train-4647- WB at Sta-Kings Park State Hospital - 1964 (Schneider-Keller).jpg (125129 bytes)
RS3 #1551 Train #4647 westbound at Kings Park State Hospital Station 1964 (Schneider-Keller)
DOT GTE 4-Car Train WB at Sta-Kings Park State Hospital - 11-77 (Madden-Keller).jpg (74066 bytes)
DOT GTE 4 car train westbound at Kings Park State Hospital 
Station 11/1977 (Madden-Keller)
lirr218_KingsParkMP34westbound.jpg (74152 bytes)
C424 #218 at MP34 westbound
 Tower-Fox-CTC-KingsPark-1969.jpg (62526 bytes)
“FOX”  CTC Cabin west of Kings Park
Photo: Dave Keller 1969
C420_223KingsPark.jpg (75703 bytes)
C420 #223 "Smoking It Up" Photo: Mike Koehler c.1983
KPviewwestsiding.jpg (48602 bytes)
Indian Head Road view west C53 on the rear, 223 on 
the head end. Photo: Mike Koehler c.1983
KingsParkfreight.jpg (47033 bytes)
Photo: Mike Koehler c.1983
lirr228kingsparkhospitalspur_c.1985DaveFlynn.jpg (50330 bytes)
LIRR  #228 Kings Park State Hospital spur view taken from the hill south of Old Dock Road, looking N toward Patiky Street  c. 1985  Photo: Dave Flynn
SMITHTOWN

BUILT: NOV-DEC/1872, CLOSED: 11/6/36, WITH GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION OF ROUTES 25 AND 25A.  MOVED TO PRIVATE LOCATION: EARLY IN 1937.
2nd ELEVATED DEPOT IN SVC: 2/18/37. REMODELED: 1987 WITH HI-LEVEL PLATFORM INSTALLATION. AGENCY CLOSED: ?

Smithtown_post-card_c.1910_viewE_CarolMills.jpg (154654 bytes)
Smithtown station, express House and freight house at far left. View is SE c. 1910 from the Rte. 25-25A crossing Archive: Carol Mills
Emery_Smithtown_MP46-47_9-57.jpg (141049 bytes)
Emery - Smithtown MP46-47 9/1957
Emery_Smithtown_MP47-48_pre-1937_9-57.jpg (202335 bytes)
Emery - Smithtown MP47-48 pre-1937 9/1957
Emery_Smithtown_MP47-48_post-1937_9-57.jpg (178042 bytes)
Emery - Smithtown MP47-48 post-1937 9/1957
Emery maps archive: Dave Keller

LIRR 1966 Smithtown Map #59
Smithtown-station_1878_viewE.jpg (101106 bytes)
Smithtown station 1878 view E Photo: George Brainerd
Smithtown-wood-trestle-bridge_Emery-SUNY_viewNE_c.1890.jpg (63792 bytes)
Smithtown wooden trestle view NE c.1890 
Archive: Emery SUNY
Smithtown-steel-trestle_LIRR-class D56-American_4-4-0.jpg (82211 bytes)
Smithtown steel trestle LIRR class D56 American 4-4-0
Smithtown-station_1903_viewSE.jpg (118835 bytes)
Smithtown station 1903 view SE
Station-Smithtown-1909_Tom Muratore.jpg (67754 bytes)
Smithtown station 1905 view N Archive: Tom Muratore
Smithtown-station_1906_viewS.jpg (70942 bytes)
Smithtown station 1906 view S
Station-Smithtown-c.1905_Tom Muratore.jpg (48737 bytes)
Smithtown station c. 1905 Archive: Tom Muratore
Station-Smithtown-D16b and Train WB-c. 1910_Tom Muratore.jpg (78903 bytes)
Smithtown station 4-4-0 class D16b and Train westbound 
c. 1910 Archive: Tom Muratore
Smithtown-station-winter_1925_viewE.jpg (71150 bytes)
Smithtown station winter 1925 view E
Station-Smithtown-c. 1928 (Maggie Land Blanck archive).jpg (26694 bytes)
Station Smithtown c. 1928 Archive: Maggie Land Blanck
Smithtown-station_1935_viewSE.jpg (106379 bytes)
Smithtown station 1935 view SE
Smithtown-station_1942_viewSE.jpg (136738 bytes)
Smithtown station 1942 view SE

Once high-level platforms were installed at the station to handle the new push-pull service, the overhanging eaves trackside had to be cut back to allow for passenger clearance overhead, totally ruining the architectural lines of the depot building.

When it was decided to eliminate the grade crossing in Smithtown and construct a new depot building, the old, original structure was moved south of the location to Lawrence Street to become a private residence. Info: Dave Keller

ex-Smithtown-Station_viewN_2014-Google.jpg (119084 bytes)
ex-Smithtown Station view N 2014 Archive: Google

ex-Smithtown-Station-viewW_2014-Google.jpg (61151 bytes)
ex-Smithtown Station view W 2014 Archive: Google
ex-Smithtown-Station_1-4-2017_MikeTarq.jpg (54322 bytes)
ex-Smithtown Station view W 1/04/2017 
Photo:  Mike Tarq
Smithtown_Rte.25-crossing_viewE_c.1935.jpg (95200 bytes)
Smithtown Rte.25-25A crossing shanty view E c.1935

According to my LIRR call letters history, "ST" block station had unattended block signals added in 1928.  The block office was taken out of service some time after that (I don't have a date, unfortunately), but placed BACK into service on 6/23/35.  

It remained in service until it was taken out of service on 11/6/36 and transferred over to a temporary block office south of the tracks for the grade crossing elimination project.

As this image shows the block signals in service AND the unattended block signals are attached to the mast at about mid-height, it's safe to say this image was photographed sometime between June 23, 1935 and November 6, 1936 and while I see NO activity indicating the start of the grade crossing elimination, and I see leaves on all the trees, I'd say Summer, 1935.  If it were Summer, 1936, then there would be signs of excavation. Research: Dave Keller

 

Smithtown-station-brick_1953_viewSE.jpg (87804 bytes)
Smithtown brick station
1953  view SE
lirr_2-8-0_Class-H10s_Smithtown-trestle_viewE_Rte.25_1953.jpg (106556 bytes)
LIRR 2-8-0 H10s crossing Smithtown trestle (P466) 
view E from Rte.25 1953
lirr2401_Smithtown_viewE_1955.jpg (116667 bytes)
LIRR #2401 FM CPA-24-5 (C liner) Smithtown 
view E 1955
Smithtown-MP47_viewNE_11-23-43_Weber.jpg (184740 bytes)
Smithtown MP47 view NE 11/23/43 at the turnout for the 37 car passing siding. Photo: Fred Weber
Smithtown-bridge-Rte.25-25A_viewSW_11-23-43_Weber.jpg (114167 bytes)
Smithtown bridge over Rte.25-25A view SW 11/23/43
Photo: Fred Weber
Smithtown-station_viewW_Call-box-left_10-8-43_Weber.jpg (122760 bytes)
Smithtown station view SW Call box at left 10/08/43
Photo: Fred Weber
Smithtown-station_viewW_LI-Ice-Corp-left_10-8-43_Weber.jpg (125898 bytes)
Smithtown station view SW - whistle post at left and LI Ice Corp. far left 10/08/43
Photo: Fred Weber
lirr113_2-8-0 Class H10s_meet_lirr38-G5s_Smithtown_viewE_1951_Norman-Kohl.jpg (138014 bytes)
LIRR #113 H10s freight meet with superior passenger class LIRR #38 G5s westbound Smithtown view E 1951 Photo: Norman Kohl
lirr14_Smithtown_viewNW_1952.jpg (156937 bytes)
LIRR caboose #14 on the Smithtown passing siding view NW 1952
lirr107-H10s_Smithtown-water-tank_viewNE_2-1953_John-Krause.jpg (153074 bytes) Smithtown-water-plug-viewW-2-1953_John-Krause.jpg (85170 bytes) lirr107_2-8-0_Class-H10s_lirr1506-FM-H16-44_Smithtown _viewE_2-1953_John-Krause.jpg (135217 bytes)

It's a little past noon, one mild February day in 1953 and the place is Smithtown. As LIRR H10s No. 107 takes the side track, the rear brakeman swings off the caboose step to reset the switch for the main track (above left). That done, the seven-car peddler freight pulls up toward the station (center view SW). Finally, in classic conjunction of the steam and diesel ages, a youthful Fairbanks-Morse LIRR H16-44 No. 1506 breezily overtakes the veteran workhorse. The engineer's oilcan, seemingly at attention, and long skirts on mother and daughter add memorable ingredients to this bygone moment (right view NE) Photos: John Krause  Material above courtesy of Dave Morrison; except as noted.  This fourth tank constructed AFTER the 1936-37 grade crossing elimination east of the elevated depot on the north side per Krause's photo (2/1953). Research: Dave Keller

Smithtown-station_1878_viewE.jpg (101106 bytes)
First tank west of the depot in Brainerd's c. 1880 view E
Smithtown_post-card_c.1900_viewSW_Carol-Mills.jpg (181136 bytes)
Second tank east of the depot in the c. 1890 colorized view SW  
Smithtown-station_1903_viewSE.jpg (118835 bytes)
Third tank across from the 1903 depot on the north side
ST. JAMES
St.James-Station_c.1878_GeorgeBrainerd.jpg (102694 bytes)
St. James Station c.1878 
(George Brainerd-Brooklyn Public Library)
lirr32-westbound_St.James_3-1953_JohnKrauss.jpg (191092 bytes)
Westbound steam at St. James  
March 1953 Photo: John Krauss

st-jamesMP49-50.jpg (76816 bytes)
Emery map St. James 
MP49-50 09/1957

Freight-Express House-H10s 113-Freight West-St. James-8-25-55.jpg (68145 bytes)
Freight-Express House LIRR H10s #113 Freight West St. James 8/25/55
(Higginbotham-Keller

59-Smithtown-St. James-Flowerfield.jpg (62509 bytes)
LIRR 1966 map page 59 Smithtown, St. James, Flowerfield Stations

St.James-restoration1997.jpg (87306 bytes)

st_james_091408MikeMcDermet.jpg (46956 bytes)
St. James restoration 09/14/08 Photo: Mike McDermet

St.James_viewNE_1978_StevenLynch.jpg (43436 bytes)
St. James view NE 1978 Photo: Steven Lynch
lirr-St.James1993.jpg (59650 bytes)
St. James view N 1993
St.James_2010_ Gryffindor.jpg (94546 bytes)
St. James view NW 2010 Source: Wikipedia
St. James Station Restoration-2.jpg (145004 bytes) Newsday_St.James_3-22-97_DaveMorrison.jpg (294633 bytes)
                   LIRR St. James Station Historical Restoration Project Booklet March 21, 1997 Newsday "St. James station to be restored" 3/22/1997
Archive:  Dave Morrison
FLOWERFIELD

OPENED: 1909-10. AGENCY CLOSED: BETWEEN 10/10/43 (ETT #5) AND 6/11/44 (ETT #6)
DISCONTINUED AS STATION STOP: 1958, RAZED: 7/59

CPA24-5_2404_Train-621 WB past Sta-Flowerfield - 08-26-55 (Higginbotham-Keller).jpg (71696 bytes)
CPA24-5 #2404 Train #621 westbound past Flowerfield Station 8/26/1955(Higginbotham-Keller) 
Station-Flowerfield (View N) - 04-58 (Keller).jpg (94533 bytes)
Flowerfield Station View N 4/1958  

 

STONY BROOK

BUILT: 1873, GREATLY REMODELED: 1917. AGENCY CLOSED: ?

Station-Stony-Brook_c.1905.jpg (40629 bytes)
Stony Brook c.1905 view E Archive: Dave Keller

Stony-Brook_1905_Greene-Keller.jpg (91952 bytes)
Stony Brook 1905 
Photo: Greene Archive: Dave Keller

 

Station-Stony-Brook_BK-Signals-1937_Votava-Keller.jpg (129621 bytes)
Stony Brook Station - BK Signals 1937 Photo/Archive: Votava-Keller
Emery-Stony-Brook-9-1957.jpg (102739 bytes)
Emery map - Stony Brook 9/1957

60-Stony Brook-Setauket.jpg (71522 bytes)
LIRR 1966 map Stony Brook Setauket 
Page 60

Stony-Brook_c.1930.jpg (49463 bytes)
Stony Brook c.1930 (James V. Osborne- Keller)
Stony-Brook-Station_1943_LIRR.jpg (94195 bytes)
Stony Brook Station 1943 Archive: LIRR
Note: Freight Station and high platform razed.
Station-Stony-Brook-Baggage-Wagon_c.1950_Keller.jpg (63962 bytes)
Stony Brook Baggage Wagon c.1950 Archive: Dave Keller
Station-Stony  Brook-Semaphore Signals-Baggage Wagon-c. 1950 (Keller).jpg (71642 bytes)
Stony Brook Semaphore Signals Baggage Wagon c. 1950 Archive: Dave Keller
Stony-Brook_viewNW_8-71_DaveKeller.jpg (132378 bytes)
Stony Brook view NW 8/1971 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller
Stony-Brook-station_viewNE_7-1986_JohnFusto.jpg (73544 bytes)
Stony Brook view NE 7/1986 
Photo: John Fusto
Stony-Brook-station_viewE_7-1986_JohnFusto.jpg (64907 bytes)
Stony Brook view E 7/1986 
Photo: John Fusto
FA1-616-Push-Pull_train-655-PtJeff-Hunt-Shuttle-W_Stony-Brook_6-5-78_GP38-2_260-power-end_Keller.jpg (93884 bytes)
LIRR FA1 #616 Push Pull train #55 Port Jefferson-Huntington Shuttle view W Stony-Brook 6/05/1978 GP38-2 #260 at power end Archive: Dave Keller

lirr164_worktrain_stonybrook_viewW-Fall1988_JohnVolpi.jpg (106834 bytes)
LIRR #164 work train east of Stony Brook view W Fall 1988 
Photo: John Volpi

F7am-622-Train Westbound at Sta-Stony Brook-View E-06-94 (Keller).jpg (180557 bytes)
Stony Brook LIRR F7 #622 view E View E 06/1994 Archive: Dave Keller

StonyBrook-Station_trackproject_viewE_1988_JohnVolpi.jpg (81367 bytes)
Stony Brook Station track project view E 1988 Photo: John Volpi

StonyBrook_trackproject_viewE_1988_JohnVolpi.jpg (95554 bytes)
Stony Brook track project view E 1988 Photo: John Volpi

 

lirr251-worktrain_west-of station-smithtown_viewW_Fall1988_JohnVolpi.jpg (115249 bytes)
LIRR #251 work train west of Smithtown station view W Fall 1988 
Photo: John Volpi

smithtown_worktrain_pullingintostation_viewE-Fall1988_JohnVolpi.jpg (72323 bytes)
LIRR work train pulling into Smithtown station view E Fall 1988 
Photo: John Volpi

SETAUKET

SETAUKET FREIGHT STATION BUILT: 2/1877 AND USED AS DEPOT. ACTUAL DEPOT BUILT: JAN-FEB/1883 AGENCY CLOSED: ? . RAZED: 10/3/60. 
DISCONTINUED AS STATION STOP: c. 1980

Emery-Setauket_MP54-55_9-1957.jpg (75069 bytes)
Emery map - Setauket MP54-55 9/1957 

Station-Setauket-Bob-Emery-c.1958_Slade-Huneke.jpg (104880 bytes)
Setauket Station 1958 view NW
Photo: Slade Archive: Art Huneke
Station-Setauket-1959.jpg (114043 bytes)
Setauket Station 1959 view NE
Photo/Archive: Art Huneke
C420-202-East on Trestle Over Old Town Rd-E. of Setauket, NY - 12-71 (Keller-Keller).jpg (175415 bytes)
C420 #202 east on trestle over Old Town Rd, east of 
Setauket 12/1971 Photo: Dave Keller
Station-Setauket-Shelter Shed and Platform-View E-08-12-73 (Keller).jpg (96956 bytes)
Setauket station shelter Shed and platform View E 8/12/73
PORT JEFFERSON

OPENED: 1/1873, BURNED: 2/1/1874  2nd DEPOT BUILT: 6/1875 CLOSED: 1903 AND USED AS YARD BLDG, RAZED: 4/1963
3rd DEPOT OPENED: 7/25/03, REMODELED: 1968. STATION FACILITIES TEMPORARILY OUT OF SVC: 4/18/88.  TEMPORARY STATION FACILITIES 75’ WEST OF 
MAIN ST. IN SVC: 4/25/88.  MAIN BUILDING BACK IN SVC: ?  EXTERIOR RESTORED TO ORIGINAL ARCHITECTURE, INTERIOR REMODELED: 2000-01

4-4-0-Train-Original Station-Port Jefferson-1878 (Brainerd-Keller).jpg (124646 bytes)
Port Jefferson -  LIRR  4-4-0 1878  Photo: Brainerd  Archive: Keller

One of the earliest if not THE earliest of LIRR railfan photographers was George Brainerd who worked for the Brooklyn Union Gas Co.  Back in the late 1870s, he lugged his large glass plate negative camera and tripod out east from his residence in Brooklyn and photographed many of the original station buildings along the South Shore, Main Line, Locust Valley (rails had not yet reached Oyster Bay) and Port Jefferson branches.  This terrific image shot by Brainerd in 1878 shows an old 4-4-0 American-type locomotive laying up with a two-car train westbound at the original Port Jefferson station and freight house  west of Coram Rd. (Main St. - current SR #112).  The view is looking east and the depot building, which resembled the structure at St. James, and which survived from 1903 until the mid-1960s as the freight/express house, is at the far left.  The tracks would not yet extend to Wading River for another 20 years.  (George Brainerd photo, Dave Keller archive)  

 

ticket-Port-Jefferson-Setauket_1-01-1967_BradPhillips.jpg (59988 bytes)
Port Jefferson - Setauket 01/01/67 
Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket-Port-Jefferson-Setauket_7-03-1963_BradPhillips.jpg (65742 bytes)
Port Jefferson - Setauket 07/03/63 
Archive: Brad Phillips

Loper-Bros-Lumber_FA2-602_C420-202-PushPull_Port-Jefferson_viewW_12-71.jpg (51086 bytes)
Loper Bros Lumber - FA2 #602 C420 #202 view W 12/1971 Archive: Dave Keller

Station-Port Jefferson_viewE_hopper-teamtrack-Loper-Bros-Coal_c.1903.jpg (74026 bytes)
Port Jefferson view E  c.1903 
Note: Hopper on team track for Loper Bros Coal. south of main on team track.  Eastbound semaphore behind train.

Port-Jefferson_viewW_c.1903.jpg (55523 bytes)
Port Jefferson view W  c.1903 
Note:  Semaphore wires and rollers in foreground. Info: Dave Keller

portjefferson_lirr213_4-4-0-D16b_viewE-c.1907.jpg (308241 bytes)
Port Jefferson LIRR #213 4-4-0 
Class D16b view E  c.1907 
E. H. Rogers Feed & Grain south of main on team track.  Note sign: "BICYCLE RIDING on this platform is PROHIBITED" and semaphore signals now moved to front of station.

Tower-JF-Interior-PortJeff-1945.jpg (55293 bytes)
An interior view of the Port Jefferson ticket office and "JF" block station with the block operator talking with the dispatcher on the flexi-phone at the operator's desk which was built into the ticket office bay window to allow visibility in each direction down the track.  Note the table machine to operate the block signal and also note that this machine was originally manufactured to control two block signals, eastbound and westbound, but the eastbound one, including large round indicator dial, was removed in 1938 with the end of service east of this station to Wading River.  This view is c. 1945. (George Christopher photo, Dave Keller archive)

port-jefferson_REMZ-purina-chows_viewS_1978_SteveLynch.jpg (67093 bytes)
M. Remz Bros. Feed (after 1931, as per 
Emery map). View S 1978 
Photo: Steve Lynch

Emery_Port-Jefferson-MP57-58_pre1920.jpg (84111 bytes)
Robert M. Emery map of Port Jefferson pre-1920 MP57-58 (Dave Keller archive)

Emery_Port-Jefferson-MP57-58_post1920.jpg (205643 bytes)
Robert M. Emery map of Port Jefferson MP57-58 effective 9/1957 showing the west yard, station facilities, east yard, wye and wye access tracks.  (Dave Keller archive)

MP58-59wadingriverextEmery.jpg (210591 bytes)
Robert M. Emery map of Port Jefferson MP58-59 effective 9/1957 showing the tracks and end of track east of the station as indicated in the general order noted in the end-of-track image further down on this page. The right portion of this map also shows the beginning of the Wading River extension as it looked in 1925.  (Dave Keller archive)
port jefferson_P-54-capacity-map_lirr-1950.gif (6460 bytes)
LIRR 1950 Port Jefferson P-54
Track Capacity Map

61-Port Jefferson.jpg (62637 bytes)
LIRR 1966 Port Jefferson map # 61

Station-Port-Jefferson-1905 (Greene-Keller).jpg (111961 bytes)
A local professional photographer whose studio was in Port Jefferson for many years was Arthur S. Greene.  In 1905 he photographed the 2-year-old station building at Port Jefferson.  This depot was built by the developers of nearby Belle Terre, and resembled the architecture of the two pergolas they erected overlooking the Long Island Sound.  Built on the northeast quadrant of the crossing of Patchogue-Port Jefferson Road (later route 112) this new brick structure replaced the original wooden one shown previously which was located on the northwest quadrant of that crossing.  This view is looking northwest and shows Greene's signature pinto pony and wagon . . . usually found in many of his photographs.  Also visible is the block signal out front of the depot building, with two semaphore blades, one eastbound and one westbound as the branch now extended further east to Wading River.  (Thomas R. Bayles collection, Dave Keller archive)  
Sta-PtJeff-1938.jpg (50412 bytes)
Looking northwest, we see the Port Jefferson depot as it looked in 1938 after service to Wading River was curtailed.  The semaphore blade for the eastbound block signal has been removed from the mast as there was no longer any through service past this station stop.  (George Christopher photo, Dave Keller archive)  

G5s-22-West Yard-Port Jefferson-View East-c. 1935 (Keller).jpg (81448 bytes)
G5s #22 West Yard Port Jefferson View E c.1935 Port Jefferson had two yards.  One east of the station and one west.  The yard west of the station and west of Route 112 was known, for some unusual reason as the West Yard.  This c. 1935 view looking east towards Route 112 and the station area, shows G5s class (4-6-0) locomotive #22 laying up westbound in the West Yard.  (Dave Keller archive)

G5s-32-West End of West Yard-Port Jefferson-View NE-c. 1935_Keller.jpg (108222 bytes)
Also laying up in the West Yard, at the west end near the ashpit tracks is G5s #32. This c. 1935 view, looking northeast, was photographed just a short distance east of where the yard branched off the main, and was, for a number of years, adjacent to a turntable, which was later replaced bye a wye track located east of the station and south of the yard. (Dave Keller archive)
G5s-35-Last Day of Steam-Backing-onto-Wye-Port-Jefferson-10-16-55 (Keller).jpg (113756 bytes)
Commemorating the last day of steam on Long Island, a railfan extra (fan trip) was held on October 16, 1955, pulled by  G5s #35.  In this view we see the locomotive, tender and lead car just having been cut from the train preparing to back onto the wye track east of the Port Jefferson station.  After being turned on the wye, it will head up the  west leg of the wye track, connect to the front of the train it just pulled eastward, and head back west with its complement of railfans of the day.  (Dave Keller archive)
RPO-Baggage Car 7737-Port Jefferson - 9-63 (Lichtenstern-Keller).jpg (97982 bytes)
Laid up in the Port Jefferson yard in September, 1963 is combination RPO (Railway Post Office) and baggage car #7737.  The car still sports modernization number 487 which it's worn since it was renovated in the LIRR's modernization program of cars which  began in December of 1954 and lasted several years.  Visible across the small door accessing the postal facility is the swing bar that would be rotated perpendicular to the car and catch, while traveling non-stop, leather mailbags hung from a trackside mail crane to be sorted and cancelled en-route.  Also note the bars across the windows protecting the mail compartment from burglary.  U. S. Railway Mail Service employees carried side arms in the completion of their duties.  (Wm. Lichtenstern photo, Dave Keller archive)
FM H16-44-1507-Frt-House-Port Jefferson - 10-24-62 (Votava-Keller).jpg (102132 bytes)
Fairbanks-Morse model H16-44 #1507 is seen here laying up in front of the former and original wooden depot building at Port Jefferson on October 24, 1962.  Once the new brick depot was constructed in 1903, this old depot was relegated to freight and express use and lasted until the mid-1960s.  This view is looking northeast.  The station is at the far right, on the other side of the crossing of Route 112.  The cars visible are in the station parking lot.  (George E. Votava photo, Dave Keller archive)
RS3-1554-Frt-House-Port Jefferson - 1957 (Krzenski-Keller).jpg (147385 bytes)
Looking due east in the West Yard in 1957, we see ALCO RS3 #1554 laying up alongside a Fairbanks-Morse C-liner.  In the distance at the right is M. Remz's Feed store, many years a landmark, with its notable "Checkerboard Square" pattern, which was Purina Chow's logo.  In the left background is visible the original depot in use as a freight / express house and the 1903 depot beyond.  For fun, compare this image side-by-side with Brainerd's 1878 image!   (Jules P. Krzenski photo, Dave Keller archive)
FM-CPA24-5-2401-REA-RPO Car Being Turned on Wye-Port Jefferson-1955 (Higginbotham-Keller).jpg (60615 bytes)
Fairbanks-Morse C-liner (model CPA24-5) #2401 is backing an RPO-Baggage car onto the wye east of the Port Jefferson station in 1955 so its train can head back west again. View is looking southwest.  This area today is all built-up commercially.  (W. H. Higginbotham photo, Dave Keller archive)
FM-CPA20-5-2002-Port Jefferson-c. 1963 (Keller).jpg (89486 bytes)
Fairbanks-Morse C-liner  (model CPA20-5) #2002 is laying up in the late afternoon sun in the yard at Port Jefferson c. 1963  (Dave Keller archive)  

C420-201-Port Jefferson-4-5-1964 (Votava-Keller).JPG (97628 bytes)
ALCO C420 #201 and train is laying up westbound in the yard east of the station on April 5, 1964 (George E. Votava photo, Dave Keller archive)

lirr272-GP38-2_sunrise-Port-Jefferson-Station_viewE_9-20-99_WilliamJSkeats.jpg (39659 bytes)
September 20, 1999 LIRR GP38-2 #272 is at the platform taking in passengers as the sun is rising on Port Jefferson Station view E 
Photo: William J. Skeats. 

lirr400-DE30AC-West-Yard_Port-Jefferson_Baylis-Ave-rearleft_viewW_10-03-2010_WilliamJSkeats.jpg (441710 bytes)
LIRR #400 DE30AC passing the West Yard on 10/03/2010 as the leaves are changing Photo: William J. Skeats

End of Track-Port Jefferson end of Wading River Ext- 1968 (Keller-Keller).jpg (101360 bytes)
After non-productive revenue service to Wading River during the many years of the Great Depression, when steam trains were replaced by self-propelled gas cars ("Doodlebugs") to cut down on operating expenses, it was finally decided to cut the 1898 branch extension back to Port Jefferson.  The last revenue train ran on October 9, 1938 and a little over 5 months later the following general order was issued:

GENERAL ORDER #1006C, EFFECTIVE 3/29/39:

SINGLE TRACK FROM A POINT 1,550’ EAST OF EAST LEG OF WYE, PORT JEFFERSON STATION TO WADING RIVER
STATION OUT OF SERVICE.

WESTWARD LOWER QUADRANT SEMAPHORE DISTANT SIGNAL LOCATED
EAST OF PORT JEFFERSON STATION OUT OF SERVICE

This view, looking due east, shows that point of single track "1,550' east of east leg of wye" as it looked in 1968, disappearing into nothing . . . .  not even a bumper block or crossed railroad ties.  With the rebuilding of the yard and installation of modern facilities east of the station, this last vestige of rails to Wading River was torn out. (Dave Keller photo and archive)

Port-Jefferson-Station_viewNE_c.Spring1963+_BradPhillips.jpg (113645 bytes)
The Port Jefferson depot midday view NE in the Spring/Summer of 1963. A playbill for "Enter Laughing" starring Alan Arkin, Vivian Blaine, Sylvia Sidney, Michael J. Pollard, and Alan Mowbray is attached to the platform light pole at the left. Archive: Brad Phillips

Station-Port-Jefferson-10-64 (Keller).jpg (108625 bytes)
The Port Jefferson depot is caught in the late afternoon sun in October, 1964.  Long shadows of the position-light block signal and telephone poles are cast in the station parking lot in this view looking due east.  A playbill for "What Makes Sammy Run" starring Steve Lawrence, Robert Alda (Alan's dad) and Sally Ann Howes is attached to the platform light pole at the right.  (Dave Keller archive)

Dark Hollow Rd-Arched Concrete Tunnel - W. of Port Jefferson, NY - 01-72 (Keller-Keller).jpg (98476 bytes)
Dark Hollow Rd. - arched concrete tunnel west of
Port Jefferson 01/1972 (Keller-Keller)