Long Island Rail Road - Odds & Ends - Page 1, Page 2

Reynolds-Channel-Drawbridge_handout-1988_CarolMills.jpg (152812 bytes)
Reynolds Channel Drawbridge Handout 1988 - The handout was given to me by a LIRR official. I believe it was made only for RR officials and probably the contractors who did the work. The metal is glued onto a beveled glass disk which is clear, very light weight and 3 inches in diameter. 
Archive/Info: Carol Mills

VIPs-160-Anniv.-train_Faux-marble-plaque_key-fob_7-23-94_CarolMills.jpg (39899 bytes)
LIRR 160th Anniversary Train - VIP Faux marble plaque 
and key fob 7/23/94 Archive: Carol Mills

LIRR_Ticket-Vending-Machine_Lock-Box_Nostrand-Ave_12-27-13_RonYee.jpg (93975 bytes)
LIRR Ticket Vending Machine Lock-Box Nostrand Ave 12/27/13 Photo: Ron Yee

L455-439S2MPshops01-19-76.jpg (90608 bytes)
LIRR S1-2 Units #455-439
White Exhaust at Morris Park Shops 01/19/76 Archive: Dave Keller

The engine has been idling or operating under a light load for an extended period of time or it is cold. Notice how the radiator shutter is closed, indicating low engine water temperature. Diesel engines are most efficient at full horsepower and at hot temperatures. With extended idling/low horsepower usage, the cylinder liners tend to glaze up and unburned fuel and lubricating oil builds up in the exhaust system and as the engine exhaust gets hot from hard work, all this build up burns off and usually clears in a few minutes. I run across this all the time.  Info: Paul Kennedy


Sunrise Special Observation
C. 1920's

LIRR421.jpg (71950 bytes)
There are 3 wood hacks behind the 2 pass cars. LIRR #421 paint scheme indicates it is about the time LIRR sold 3 wood hacks (12, 14, and 29) to Seashore Trolley museum in Maine and a trolley museum in Connecticut. (one of them just came back to LI a few years ago -- #12). I believe this photo is of the freight move of the 5 sold/donated cars to interchange. 
Info: Art Single

FRA-Rail-Inspection-Car_MP15acs-157_hopper-wired-for-truck-track-harmonics_siding-east_Babylon-station_c.early2000s_MarioCraig.jpg (85393 bytes)
MP15acs #157, hopper wired for truck track harmonics, and FRA Rail Inspection Car at siding east of Cooper St. view NE on John St. c. 1999
Photo: Mario Craig

The hopper car was a former UP car, which was referred to as the "split axle hopper car", and it was instrumented for testing track geometry.

LIRR-180th-cake_4-25-14.jpg (89897 bytes)
LIRR 180th Anniversary Cake 4/25/2014 Photo: Dave Morrison


        

        
LIRR Management Reserved Parking Signs

LIRR Flatcar 494976-Replica 1885 Piggyback Farmers' Train-MPShops - 10-60 (Rugen-Keller).jpg (111393 bytes)
LIRR Flatcar 494976 Replica 1885 Piggyback Farmers' Train MP Shops  10/1960 (Rugen-Keller)

LIRR-police-patch.jpg (50037 bytes)
LIRR Police patch used in the 70-80's. They would have switched to the MTA LIRR Police patch some time before 1989/1990. 

lirr-mtapolicepatch.jpg (28465 bytes)
LIRR-MTA New York State patch  in use until c.1998 when the police departments (LIRR & Metro North) were merged. Figure 6 months to a year after the merger date.

  What's New

     

Penn Station, NY City 6/15/2017
Budd/GE M1 Builder Plate 1972  1/23/2017

PRR N5 #477604 caboose at Hempstead in 1934 1/19/2017
Bar Car #2993 leaving RMLI 1/07/2017
Holiday Express 2016 Drumhead 12/03/16
Comic Con 2013 LIRR Flyer 11/29/16
Broken Coach Window Band-Aid Sticker 1960's 11/12/16
Commuter leaping into LIRR #9350 cab at Penn Station 10/20/16
LIRR Police Patches 10/15/16
Tom Hanks at Central Park wearing his LIRR jacket 10/07/16
Speno International rail grinding train 10/02/16
Metro Mini Maids 9/28/16
E. Deirdre Hickey- First Female Conductor modern era 8/01/16
Jamaica Station umbrella tag c.1985  6/29/16
LIRR Flatcar #494976 Replica 1885 Piggyback Farmers' Train  6/26/16
North River Moonlight Excursion aboard Steamer Wyoming 1876 Special LIRR tickets  4/03/16
Metro-North SPV2000 #291 - Videotaping LIRR ROW 3/25/16
Delevan House - Broad Channel 2/02/16
LIRR Police Shields 12/15/15
LIRR Ceramic Tiles 11/17/15
LIRR Management Reserved Parking Signs 10/07/15
1968 LIRR wallet calendar 9/29/15
The NEW YORKER Magazine NOV 24, 1980  “LIRR Station”  9/27/15
Montauk to Penn Station Fishing REA return trip 8/05/15
Reynolds Channel Drawbridge Handout 1988 6/23/15
LIRR 160th Anniversary Train - VIP plaque and key fob 6/21/15
Baggage Tags 6/04/15
LIRR Playing Cards 6/04/15
Aluminum Passenger paint  scheme 2/06/15
LIRR "Bosses" Special 1/31/15
Topps 1955 Rail Cards 01/10/15
MP54 Truck Close-up 12/22/14
TR ("Transportation Request") 12/04/14
LIRR 180th Anniversary Cake 9/23/14
Paul Cuffee - Shinnecock Tribe 9/14/14
LIRR M1 First Day of Service 8/17/14
Steam Tire Heating at MPark 4/15/14
FRA Inspection Car 3/27/14
MU Combine used as Office Car 02/22/14
Ticket Vending Machines 02/12/2014 
Ticket/History Maple Grove 02/02/14
DM unit 3rd rail test section 01/25/14
LIRR Retirement Watch 12/12/13
SBR Steeplecab #5 Boxcab  #4 10/3/13
506 Choo Choo Lane 9/20/13
LIRR #35 Eisenhower Park move 9/20/13
LIRR #39 Stony Brook move 9/20/13
LIRR #2000 "JAMAICA" Obs. Car 9/20/13
1904 LIRR #3185 Boxcar 9/19/13
Bicentennial Emblem on GP38-2  8/28/13
Central RR of LI c.1869 Passenger Cars at Whitestone Landing  8/27/13
Dashing Dan Lighter 8/06/13
Three Language Warning Sign 8/01/13
Rail and Bus Printer Error Ticket 7/25/13
Express Wax Sealers 7/25/13
Port Wash Electrification button 03/31/2013
Reading leased RS3's #469-470 02/21/13
LIRR Helicopter Patrol 02/11/13
LIRR remnant signs 02/06/13
Louis Ringhouse-LIRR conductor 01/06/13
"Team Track" origin 12/05/12
Last day of passenger service to Pilgrim State 12/05/12
LIRR 1897 Hospital Car 11/30/12
Car wash interior view W  11/19/12
Early Dietz Station Lamps 9/19/12
"Last Run" Retirement Watch/Form 19  09/17/12 
LIRR (Legion of Influential Rail Riders) 8/11/12
Vincent Seyfried Obituary 4/18/2012
Aluminum Passenger paint scheme 10/27/11
LIRR Usher Cap Badge 07/15/11
CNS&M Trolley at Richmond Hill 06/23/11
P72 #2937 Restoration 06/22/11
Bar Generator Cars 04/26/11
“Ladies Day” sign on side of MU car 4/09/2011
PRR Gas Cars (Doodlebugs) 01/16/2011
LIRR turbine car 1966  01/08/2011
FRA DOTX on LI  12/17/2010
Cups Glassware Mugs Etc. 12/13/2010
Luzerne Coal 11/09/10
"Climbing the Hill" CS Harbor '54 10/20/10
MTA ads on LIRR Pass Car Sides 9/22/10
LIRR #35 move June 17, 1978 06/15/10
Passenger Interiors 06/15/10
ex-LIRR #400 at BR&W 03/04/10
Lake Okeechobee parlor at WH 3/03/10
Bulova Corp. Woodside 03/02/10
Brick Mystery Bldg at Bliss 12/05/09
Milk Car Mystery Solved 12/03/09
LIRR US Open Golf  07/01/09
K4s Pre/Post Facelift 1947  06/29/08
M1s Testing in Bridgeport 06/29/08
FA at Old Northport Junction 06/21/09
Alco S1-2  White Exhaust 03/25/09
Atlantic Ave Station 10/23/08
Flushing Street Station 10/01/2008
Victory Drumhead  09/27/08
East River Sand Barge 09/20/08
NYCHRR Paul Strubeck's  05/22/08
LIRR Matchbooks  04/16/08
LIRR Gas Turbine Info 03/24/2008
LIRR 1955  Steam Phase Out 03/22/08
LIRR Freight Schedule with NY, NH&H
LIRR 1976 Freedom Train at Belmont
LIRR Wantagh Station Park 03/15/2008
LIRR S1 #421 on Museum  Run 
LIRR MU leased units to SIRT 01/14/08
Mill Neck Station 12/28/07
Leased Units on the LIRR 10/04/2007
Sands Street Terminal 10/04/2007
Mr. Met - Watch the Gap 09/20/07
Polo Grounds 1940 09/15/07 
LIRR Milk Cars 07/29/07
LIRR Ping Pong Visitor Center LIE 03/14/07
Newsday "Trouble on the Tracks" 8-22-66 02/14/07
Corona 11/24/06
Alco FA-2 HEP Unit #3100 09/18/06
Connetquot River Photos 07/13/06


FRA-test-car_T-6-DOTX-no.206.jpg (80909 bytes)
The passenger car is US DOT FRA Test Car T-6 (DOTX 206), which was converted from a US Army hospital car built by St. Louis Car Company about 1952.

At one time ENSCO Inc. or their subsidiary ENSCO Rail Inc. held an FRA contract to operate and maintain the two cars in support of the FRA's track in MU MP54A 1595 Close up Motor Truck c. 1930 (D. Keller) Research: Jack Deasy

Bosses-Special_5-01-67_LIRR-462-Cayuga-Club-Setauket.jpg (145316 bytes)
Bosses Special 5/01/67 LIRR #462 
 #2032 Cayuga Club Parlor #2038 Setauket Observation  Archive: Brad Phillips

MU-MP54A-1595-Close-up-Motor Truck-c. 1930 (D. Keller).jpg (78767 bytes)
MU MP54A #1595 
Close-up Motor Truck c. 1930  Archive: Dave Keller

Montauk -Penn-Station_Going-Fishing_Rudolph-Hoffman_c.1930s.jpg (73524 bytes)
Montauk to Penn Station return from Fishing excursion  c.1930's.
Photo: Rudolph Hoffman

North-River-Moonlight-Excursion_Steamer-Wyoming_1876_Special-Jamaica-Hunters-Point_ArtHuneke.jpg (73478 bytes)
Moonlight Excursion up the North River (Hudson River) )aboard the Steamer Wyoming 9/04/1876  Special train Hunter's Point to Jamaica and return LIRR ticket Archive: Art Heneke

Hudson-River-sidewheel-steamer_Wyoming_.jpg (39440 bytes)
Hudson River side-wheel steamer "Wyoming". The vessel was named 
after a county in Northern New York, east of Buffalo. Archive: G. B. Dobson

Hanks at Central Park wedding LIRR jacket 9-27-16.jpg (71072 bytes)
Tom Hanks at Central Park as he congratulates a wedding couple while 
sporting a "Dashing Dan" LIRR jacket 9
/27/16

lirr-wallet-calendar-1968.jpg (123933 bytes)
1968 LIRR wallet calendar

New-Yorker-Cover-Art_lirr-station_11-24-80.jpg (141288 bytes)
The NEW YORKER Magazine NOV 24, 1980   “LIRR Station”  Vintage Cover Art  Artist: Charles E. Martin contributed over 150 New Yorker covers in his 50 year association with the magazine. While living in Hamilton Court, he painted this slightly fanciful view of Sunnysiders awaiting a train for Manhattan on the elevated platform of the #7 subway line.


Sunnyside 40th Street Lowery St. IRT #7 line view W

H10s-113-Freight-L56-Climbing Hill-Cold-Spring-Harbor-1954.jpg (88169 bytes)
LIRR H10s #113 Freight L56 climbing the Hill Cold Spring Harbor 1954 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

AdsLIRRcars9-22-10.jpg (324400 bytes)
Ads on outside of LIRR pass train "Newsday" 9/22/10

woodside8-27-75.jpg (105572 bytes)
LIRR C420 with passenger consist in tow passing the  Bulova Building at Woodside Station on August 27, 1975 enroute to Jamaica.  
Archive: L. McEnery

bulova_woodside07-17-67richmakse.jpg (66291 bytes)
"Symbol freight MA-13 passes by the landmark Bulova Building at Woodside Station on July 17, 1967 enroute to service the Winfield team track and industries on the Port Washington Branch. The MA-13 was the only regular freight to use the "Main Line Cutoff" at F Tower; it was crossed over to the Port Washington Branch at WIN after switching cars for Supro Building Supplies on the Winfield team track."  Photo: Richard F. Makse


Cerro Wire Tower, Syosset  being pulled down demolished 09/2004.

cerro.jpg (22490 bytes)
The Cerro Wire & Cable Co. on Robbins Lane produced electrical conduit and hot-rolled copper rods from the 1950's through 1986

LIRR-Budd-M1_first-day-service_12-30-1968_Moser.jpg (116809 bytes)
Budd M1 First Day of Service 12/30/68 Photo: Moser

The first revenue service M1 departed Babylon at 5:45 AM. Being a Babylon local, it arrived at Penn Station at 6:58 AM. Info: Matthew Kobel

Second row right:  LIRR President Frank Aikman  
Third row center seat left,  looking at the camera: 
Wm. J. Ronan, MTA Chairman. Fourth row right:  Hank Raudenbush   Info: Dave Keller

Jamaica-Station_umbrella-tag_c.1985.jpg (32818 bytes)
Jamaica Station umbrella tag c.1985 This was a program in the mid-80's to lend out the thousands of unclaimed lost and found umbrellas. It lasted perhaps a year, until all the lent umbrellas were stolen or lost. The work of public relations man Don Malone.

Broken-coach-window-bandaid-notice_c.1960's.jpg (38166 bytes)
Broken coach window Band-aid Notice  c.1960s

An article was published concerning the  use of the "band-aids" in the Long Island Railroader (employee newspaper). When a broken window was discovered from one of the all-to-frequent stonings, this band-aid was applied to crack inside the car.

 

 


Photo: Bob Bender

This is a builder's plaque from the cab door of one of the M1 cars from the 1972 add-on order of 150 cars (9621-9770) which were built by a consortium of Budd and GE. The earlier M1 plaques read "Designed and Built by the Budd Company" with their logo name.  Info: Mike McEnaney

It is  from the 150-car option order as GE was the builder of record, with assembly at Erie, car shells built at the Red Lion assembly plant. GE assembled and delivered many at MU units at Erie, but later orders the stainless car shells were built under subcontract by AVCO (Nashville) and Canadian Vickers (Montreal), under Budd license. These had no Budd mention, as the car body was supplied from Nashville or Montreal. 
Info: Kevin Wong 

Bar-car-2993_leaving-RMLI_1-7-2017.jpg (78223 bytes)
Photo members of the RMLI confer with the New York and Atlantic Railway crew on Saturday, January 7, 2017 as the certified air brake system on ex-LIRR, ASR Bar Car #2993 is fully charged.

On Saturday, January 7, 2017, LIRR Bar Car #2993 began its journey to the Adirondack Scenic Railroad (ASR) in Utica, NY. The car, (not owned by the RMLI), was donated to the ASR by its owner for use as a Bar/Concession Car. RMLI's Founding President, Mr. Chris Talluto is the ASR's Chief Mechanical Officer. Chris spent a good part of summer 2016 performing maintenance and certification work on the car. The Museum assisted Chris with helpful manpower and the use of our backshop for various work details. The Railroad Museum of Long Island celebrates and supports ASR's acquisition of #2993. Not only will this LIRR car be saved, it will be used in revenue service for the purpose the LIRR originally modified it for, saving another piece of Long Island heritage!! Thank you for video taken by Jordan Torregrosa, member of the RMLI "Steam up LIRR 39" committee.  There were on four 2900 series Bar Cars 2990-2993  

Yes, the routing was New York & Atlantic (Riverhead to Fresh Pond) to CSX (Fresh Pond to Oak Point to Selkirk and then on to Utica). There was never a discussion about having a rider in the car. We overhauled the brake system to current standards, did the COTS and repaired the rusting stairwells as "safety appliances" and sent her packing :-)

As of yesterday the car was at Selkirk waiting for a westbound movement to complete the trip to Utica. The northerly movement engineer stated: "Much to his surprise that on the back of his 32 car train was the bar car. #2993. North of Beacon the train speeds are 50 mph. No cars tripped any detectors while in route to Selkirk. He is very proud and impressed that the car performed well with no problems."
Don Fisher - RMLI

Comic-Con-2013_LIRR-flyer.jpg (119331 bytes)
Comic Con 2013 LIRR flyer

 

LIRR_leaping-into-cab-at _Penn_2-12-83_Kenneth F. Lemp.jpg (90827 bytes)        LIRR_leaping-into-cab-at _Penn_Newsday_2-12-83_Kenneth F. Lemp.jpg (140344 bytes)
Commuter leaping into LIRR #9350 cab at Penn Station 2/12/1983 
Photo: Newsday Archive: Kenneth F. Lemp
prr477604_lirrcaboose_4-5-34 Pennsy N5 as seen here at Hempstead Votava-Keller.jpg (130781 bytes)
PRR N5 #477604 caboose Hempstead 
4/05/1934 (Votava-Keller)

 

SPENO RAIL GRINDING TRAIN HEWLETT NY HACK C-64_10-1979_Huneke.jpg (136306 bytes)
Speno International rail grinding train  C-64 caboose - Hewlett 10/1979 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

 

Metro-Mini-Maids_1969_ JoeDombroski.jpg (73681 bytes)Newsday’s web feature, “Long Island Then and Now”, I found these ladies “flashin’ the (patent) leather” boots in a photo taken by staff photographer Joe Dombroski.  The byline says “1969”, so these “Metro Mini Maids” could’ve “inspired” Eugene Garfield to dress – in similar attire – his Auto-Train hostesses, two years later. Info: Edward Frye

dee hickey 6-6-79.jpg (51976 bytes)
LIRR conductor E. Deirdre Hickey waves from
 the cab of her train on June 6, 1979.
Dee Hickey was the First Female Qualified Conductor of the modern era. She joined the LIRR in 1973 and worked her first day as a conductor
Info: "Along The Track" LIRR
METRO-NORTH SPV2000 #291 RAIL DIESEL CAR- VIDEOTAPING ROW MARCH 3, 1986 Archive: Art Huneke
LIRR-MN-SPV2000-291-WRECK-LEAD-NY-N-OF-LONG-BEACH-LONG-ISLAND-RAIL-ROAD-1986_Huneke.jpg (80961 bytes)
Metro-North SPV2000 #291 Rail Diesel Car at 
Wreck Lead
LIRR-Metro-North-SPV2000-291_Central-Branch_Southern-State-Pkwy-exit-West-Babylon_1986_Huneke.jpg (58488 bytes)
Metro-North SPV2000 #291 Central Branch, Southern State Pkwy, West Babylon exit 
Metro-North_SPV2000_Rail-Diesel-Car-291_videotaping-ROW_eastbound-Ronkonkoma_3-1986_ArtHuneke.jpg (86690 bytes)
Metro-North SPV2000 #291 Rail Diesel Car at "KO" Ronkonkoma
Metro-North_SPV2000_Rail-Diesel-Car-291_videotaping-ROW_Holbrook_3-1986_ArtHuneke.jpg (126782 bytes)
Metro-North SPV2000 #291 Rail Diesel Car at "KO" Ronkonkoma 
DELEVAN HOUSE  at  BROAD CHANNEL
Station-Broad Channel-View S-08-03-14 (LIRR-Keller).jpg (827195 bytes)
A rare and very old LIRR valuation photo of the Broad Channel station and station area looking south from the pedestrian crossover (bridge) on August 3, 1914. The ticket office and waiting room appear to be housed in the first floor of the Delevan House at the left as evidenced by the bay window and scattered chairs.  (LIRR valuation photo, Dave Keller archive and data)
Delevan House (see left photo) advertising aluminum encased "Good Luck Cent" 

These places at Broad Channel, Goose Creek and The Raunt were strictly saloons and inns. The sign on the rear left building may read "Palm Garden" and was either the restaurant portion of the saloon, or a Bier Garten. The buildings are separate from each other, so may be two different business concerns. The signs posted by the pedestrian stairs in front of the "Palm Garden" and on the opposite side of the tracks at platform's edge read:  "No Trespassing.  No Crossing Tracks. Use the Bridge."  The rowboats were for rent, as this was basically a fishing stop. Info: Dave Keller

"Keep Me And Never Go Broke" slogan on horseshoe. Aluminum encased 1909 Indian Head Cent (obverse) "Good Luck Cent" "Delevan House - E.H. Schlueter" 1909 
Indian Head Cent (reverse)
LIRR POLICE SHIELDS

LIRR-Patrolman-shield-Pie-Plate_pre-1949.jpg (107184 bytes)
LIRR Patrolman Shield "Pie Plate" pre-1949

LIRR-Patrolman-shield-Acorn-Design_1960's.jpg (93427 bytes)

 

The LIRR had a problem with their shields throughout the years. Some were handed down from Father to Son, and therefore are of the older style. This style is known as "The Acorn" due to its shape. This shield was still in use in the early 1980's and was in the desk of my friend that dealt with uniform issues. The balance of the shields had top ribbons that stated anything from "RAILROAD", "STATE RAILWAY", "N.Y.S. RAILWAY", "N.Y.S. RAILWAY L.I.R.R" all incised into the shield. 

LIRR-Patrolman-shield-Applied-Ribbon-Design.jpg (66357 bytes)

In the mid to late 1970's the LIRR ran short of Patrolman's shields and sought shields from other New York State Agencies to use with an applied top "Custom made Ribbon" with raised letters stating "N.Y.S. RAILWAY L.I.R.R." and is known as the "Applied Ribbon" style. Not many of these were made and are considered hard to come by. A shield issued in the 1960's could have survived well into the time period that the LIRR standardized their Patrolman, Detective, and Sergeant shields. Within a group it was rarer to get two shields that were alike than different. Some members never moved up the LIRR PD ladder and had the same shield that was issued to them 30 years ago. 

This example of a "70's Applied Ribbon" is on another agencies shield. The other agencies name has been ground down to accommodate the application of the "Custom Ribbon". 

LIRR-Patrolman-shield-Custom-Design.jpg (79301 bytes)

In the late 80's/early 90's the department standardized the Patrolman, Detective, and Sergeant shields with the top ribbon very similar to the "Applied Ribbon" lettering used on the late 70's Patrolman shield. This new shield known as the "Custom Die" shield was issued in the late 80's and mostly early 90's, ironically, just prior to the consolidation of the LIRR, MNCR, and later the SIRT (Staten Island) Departments under the flag of the MTA. All new shields, collar devices, and patches were created and issued.

This example is the last shield of the LIRR under their original charter (LIRR not MTA) and is a complete "Custom Die" and is a one piece shield hallmarked by United Insignia. This is the 1990's shield.

LIRR CERAMIC TILES
Farmingdale-artwork-1991_DaveMorrison.jpg (86660 bytes)
Farmingdale LIRR 150th Anniversary 1841-1991
 artwork/ceramic tile

Farmingdale-ceramic-tile-1991_DaveMorrison.jpg (153301 bytes)
Port-Washington-tile.jpg (220543 bytes)
Port Washington LIRR 100th Anniversary 
1898-1998 artwork/ceramic tile
Port-Washington-100th_6inch-ceramic-tile_DaveMorrison.jpg (37580 bytes)
Sea-Cliff_ JMontelione.jpg (128759 bytes)
Sea Cliff LIRR 100th Anniversary 1888-1988 
J. Montelione
artwork/ceramic tile
Sea-Cliff_ceramic-tile_ JMontelione.jpg (202761 bytes)
St.James_artwork-V Quatroche_DaveMorison.jpg (273752 bytes)
St. James artwork - V. Quatroche - Oldest surviving LIRR station 1873-1997  Artwork/Ceramic tile
St.James_ceramic-tile_artwork-V Quatroche_DaveMorison.jpg (229965 bytes)  

 

 

Photos/Archive this section: Dave Morrison

LIRR BAGGAGE TAGS

Affixed to a rider’s luggage in the old days. The express agent would put it on the bags with a leather strap. Upon receipt of your bag(s) at your destination, the express agent would remove the tag for reuse for another customer on another train. American Railway Supply Co., was in business from 1891 to the 1920s. Info: Brendan Manley


Brass Baggage Tag Collection: John Fusto

Penn Station to
Easthampton baggage tag  #45545 Archive: Carol Mills

Brass Baggage Tag 
Collection: Brendan Manley

Penn Station to Garden City Baggage Tag 
Collection: Brendan Manley

LIRR baggage tag #18240
Archive: Carol Mills 

Baggage Tag South Side Rail Road
of Long Island 

Brass Baggage Tag  Flatbush Ave. to Great River 01/2008
Collection: Brendan Manley

LIRR Brass Pay Check Tag 

To the best of my knowledge, it was used to pay employees out on the line (perhaps as a "chit" to be cashed in somewhere where cash was available)...maybe a a major station where the ticket agent had copious amount of the green stuff and could pay you out of his "cash drawer" from selling tickets, etc, or maybe a major  terminal like Jamaica, where cash was disbursed to outlying terminals for different purposes. Info: Robert Myers

Penn Station to Easthampton baggage tag #45649

Archive: Carol Mills

Ronkonkoma to 34th St. and reverse side #22673 Brass Baggage Tag Collection: Brendan Manley

Baggage Tags c.1962-1963 Archive: Art Single
LIRR Playing Cards

Sunrise Trail playing cards c.1921 Archive: Carol Mills
Sunrise-Special-playing-cards_c.1921.jpg (68424 bytes)
Sunrise Special playing cards c.1921


150th Anniversary playing cards: Archive:  Carol Mills

160thAnniversaryplayingcardsjoesaullo.jpg
 LIRR 160th Anniversary playing cards 1994 
Archive: Joe Saullo
TOPPS "RAILS AND SAILS" 1955 CARDS
1955 Topps Rails and Sail no.34.jpg (77334 bytes)
1955 Topps "Rails and Sails" no.34. LIRR #193 Rotary Plow

1955 Topps Rails and Sail no.75.jpg (147592 bytes)
1955 Topps "Rails and Sails" no.75 BUDD Rail Car

1955 Topps Rails and Sail no.34 reverse.jpg (109131 bytes)
1955 Topps "Rails and Sails" no.34 reverse


1955 Topps Rails and Sail no.75 reverse.jpg (160259 bytes)
1955 Topps "Rails and Sails" no.75 reverse

Topps bubble gum card set 1955 “Rails and Sails”. The set has two parts, the first 130 cards being about trains, and the second 70 cards being about ships. The backs for each set are all done with color, an unusual quality for trading cards. The backs also are among the most genuinely informative ever done. $10-$125 condition (VG-EX-4 Mint 9 condition) according to a price guide. 
GOVERNMENT TRANSPORTATION REQUEST
ticket-Form_LH -261-G_US-GOVT.jpg (82598 bytes)
Ticket Form LH-261-G 
US Government 
Archive: Brad Phillips
A transportation request ("TR") was issued to members of the military and employees of all branches of the Federal Government in lieu of cash to purchase passage by any means (rail, bus, air, etc.).  Tickets issued were endorsed "United States Government" to prevent the traveler from turning them in for a cash refund if not used.  LIRR stations having a large volume of government business had tickets pre-printed with the endorsement.  More recently, credit cards ("travel cards") have become the preferred means for government travelers to pay for their traveling expenses (including hotels, meals, etc.).  Forms-government-transporation-Request_BradPhillips.jpg (173510 bytes)
Form Government Transportation Request Archive: Brad Phillips
REV. PAUL CUFFEE, INDIAN PREACHER
Rev.-Paul-Cuffee_Gravesite.jpg (104897 bytes)
Rev. Paul Cuffee Gravesite
March 4, 1757 - March 7, 1812
Rev.-Paul-Cuffee_historical-maker.jpg (56799 bytes)
Rev. Paul Cuffee historical maker
lirr207_eastbound_Canoe- Place_Cuffee-gravesite _.jpg (65659 bytes)
LIRR #207 eastbound Canoe 
Place Rev. Paul Cuffee Gravesite 
CuffeeTombstone2010.jpg (100192 bytes) Rev. Paul Cuffee is buried on a tiny plot of land at Canoe Place in Hampton Bays. His grave sits all alone between the Long Island Railroad tracks and Highway 27 (Montuak Hwy), the gravesite having been diminished by development on the Long Island Railroad. It has a stone marker which is weather-worn and broken in two. There is a small white fence around it, erected by his descendants on "Good Ground" which was once all Indian land. 

He died on March 7, 1812, at the age of 55 and was buried in an old Indian cemetery about a half mile east of Hampton Bays railroad station, which was at an early period the site of an Indian church belonging to the Shinnecock tribe. Here a simple marble slab was erected to his memory by the New York Missionary Society, which carried the following inscription. "Erected by the New York Missionary Society in memory of Rev. Paul Cuffee an Indian of the Shinnecock tribe. Who was employed by that society for the past thirteen years of his life, on the eastern part of Long Island where he labored with fidelity and success."

REV. PAUL CUFFEE, INDIAN PREACHER  October 20,1949 by Thomas R. Bayles

The Rev. Paul Cuffee was the second of seven sons of Peter Cuffee, a native Indian of the Shinnecock tribe, and grandson, on his mothers side, of the Rev. Peter John. He was born in Brookhaven town probably at Wading River, on March 4, 1757. His mother was said to have been a very religious woman and for many years was a member of the Indian church at Wading River. At an early age he was bound out to major Frederick Hudson a farmer of Wading River with whom he lived and worked until he was 21 years of age.

According to Prime's history he was converted to be Christian religion when he was about 21 and turned his attention to preaching although his education was very limited. By what authority is not known, though possibly it was through the influence of the Wading River church, of which he was a member.

Soon after reaching maturity, he moved to Moriches and then to Poosepatuck where in 1790, he was "ordained to the work of the ministry by a council of ministers from the Connecticut Convention." He later moved to Canoe Place, (now Hampton Bays) where he lived until his death.

In 1798, he received a commission from the "New York Missionary Society" to work with the Long Island Indians, and for the rest of his life he worked and preached among them his principal field was Montauk and Canoe Place, although he sometimes visited Poosepatuck and Islip, where there were a few scattered members of the native tribes.

He was a very popular preacher, and was endowed with a charming voice, a retentive memory and a very graceful manner, and was universally loved and respected. Crowds came to hear him, and it is doubtful of any minister of those days could have commanded larger or more attentive congregations.

Churches and ministers of other denominations welcomed him to their pulpits and welcomed opportunities to listen to his preaching.

Prime says of him" "Having enjoyed a personal acquaintance with Paul Cuffee for several years and having had the privilege of hearing him preach, the writer can bear witness that he was an interesting and affecting preacher. Though he aimed at no elegance of diction and frequently committed grammatical mistakes, these were soon lost sight in the ardor of his piety and the pathos of his appeals. The most amiable trait of his character was the unaffected humility of his heart. Naturally modest, he never aspired to high things, and was contented to be the humble instrument of promoting the glory of God and the salvation of his fellow men."

He died on March 7, 1812, at the age of 55 and was buried in an old Indian cemetery about a half mile east of Hampton Bays railroad station, which was at an early period the site of an Indian church belonging to the Shinnecock tribe. Here a simple marble slab was erected to his memory by the New York Missionary Society, which carried the following inscription. "Erected by the New York Missionary Society in memory of Rev. Paul Cuffee an Indian of the Shinnecock tribe. Who was employed by that society for the past thirteen years of his life, on the eastern part of Long Island where he labored with fidelity and success."

Project39_No39_drivertire_1010198_AlCastelli-1.jpg (93180 bytes)
Project LIRR #39 driver tire 10/10/1980 Photo: Al Castelli
Step #1 below
Project39_No39_drivertire_1010198_AlCastelli-2.jpg (100609 bytes)
Project LIRR #39 driver tire 
10/10/1980 Photo: Al Castelli
Step #7 heated at about 450° Installation time approx. 50-60 minutes
Project39_No39_drivertire_1010198_AlCastelli-3.jpg (135170 bytes)
Project LIRR #39 driver tire 10/10/1980 Photo: Al Castelli 
Step #9 below

loco-tire-heating_MPark_1954_Rugen-Huneke.jpg (29127 bytes)

Steam locomotive tire heating at Morris Park shops 1954 Photo: Bill Rugen Archive: Art Huneke 

How to Apply Tires to Locomotive Wheels by Edward Kilsdonk

Steam locomotives have large driving wheels, each of which is expensive and hard to repair. To preserve the wheels, locomotives use steel tires. The tires, which also have the flange that holds the train on the track, need to be replaced from time to time. Thus, things you'll need: heating collar, sledgehammer, and a hoist or crane. Watch the video: Ring of Fire: How to remove a locomotive tire with heat at Steamtown, Scranton Pennsylvania

Instructions: 

1.     Remove the wheel from the locomotive by raising the locomotive on a crane, disconnecting the driving rods, and then unbolting the wheel. Use an engine hoist to move the wheel to a work stand that has been adjusted so that the bottom of the wheel is at least a foot above the ground.

2.      Sweat the old tire off by heating it to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit and then gently tapping it off with a heavy hammer. There are no physical connections between the tire and the wheel, so you just need to expand the tire a little. Be careful not to damage the sand-cast wheel

3.     Measure the wheel to the thousandth of an inch and order a new tire that is about 55/1000 of an inch smaller than the wheel. Remember to measure each wheel separately.

4.      Build a bracket and cradle to hold the new tire next to and just above the wheel so that it can be sweated on. This can be welded together out of scrap metal. The hanging bracket at the top of the tire should hold the new tire firmly but not block the movement of the new tire onto the wheel.

5.     Use a hoist to lift the new tire and position it next to the wheel. The inner edge of the tire should be aligned with the outer edge of the wheel at all sides, although you may want to cheat it up a few thousandths of an inch to ease the final fitting.

6.     Wrap a heating collar around the new tire. Most collars run on propane.

7.     Heat the new tire to at least 300 degrees but no more than 600 degrees Fahrenheit. This will enlarge the tire so that it will stretch and fit over the wheel.

8.     Use a sledgehammer to fit the tire around the wheel by tapping the hot tire on the side. You need the weight of the sledge to slide the tire around the wheel, but be careful because you don't want to dent the tire by hitting too hard. A two-hand grip with a moderate choke works best.

9.     Remove the gas ring and let the tire cool partway. As soon as the metal is cool enough to approach, place C-clamps on the wheel and tire to keep the tire from slipping sideways as it finishes cooling.

10.   Use a tire lathe to trim excess metal from the new tire until the diameter of the new tire is within 3/32 of an inch of the diameter of the old tire. 

MU-Combine-1356_Used-as-Office-Car_Port-Washington-viewNE_09-18-51 (Faxon-Keller).jpg (114432 bytes)

MU combine #1356 had its electric trucks removed and replaced with non-electric trucks and was coupled onto a train and towed into position at the Port Washington station for use as an office car between 1950 and 1956 (Robert M. Emery data).  This view looking northeast shows the car in place at Port Washington on September 18, 1951.  Seven windows on the near side of the car appear to be fitted with screens.  (Will Faxon photo, Dave Keller archive)
ticket_ LI-City-Maple-Grove_12-31-1885.jpg (97362 bytes)
Ticket LI City to Maple Grove valid thru 12/31/1885

MAPLE GROVE : Opened: May/1879 as flag stop for Maple Grove cemetery. Closed: 1882. reopened: 1883.  Removed in 1909 with realignment of tracks.  moved approx. 600' south alongside new site of Kew station (which opened 9/8/1910) and perpendicular to tracks for use as real estate office for developers of Kew. Razed a short time later.

KEW: Opened: 9/8/1910 on re-aligned main line tracks south of ex-Maple Grove station site. Renamed "KEW GARDENS": 1912  

Notice the realignment "in-service" date matches the date of the first train run from Penn Station. . . . . That historic train was probably the first to operate "officially" along that realigned Main. Research: Dave Keller

A rare LIRR ticket. Note the signature on the ticket is a cemetery official and not a LIRR General Passenger Agent. Also, the area that later became Kew Gardens was originally known as Richmond Hill.  Hence, the 1950 LIRR horrible wreck at "Richmond Hill", which happened just east of the Kew Gardens station, was never called the Kew Gardens wreck but the Richmond Hill wreck.

Richmond Hill was the name of the surrounding town, but Maple Grove was the name of the cemetery, and it had a depot for visitors to and from the cemetery. 

In 1910, the LIRR realigned its tracks, eliminating a wide sweeping curve of ROW through Maple Grove and thereby eliminating service to Maple Grove Cemetery, opening a new station south of that site called Kew, which later became Kew Gardens. 

The old depot at Maple Grove, no longer needed, was purchased by the realtor who was selling lots in Kew and was moved adjacent to the new Kew station (east side by the street overpass), set perpendicular to the north side of the tracks and used as a realty office for the land sales. Research: Dave Keller

lirr254_Train2008_Greenlawn_viewW_05-22-98_Keller.jpg (110571 bytes)
GP38-2 #254 and push-pull train #2008 eastbound at Greenlawn 5/22/98 Archive: Dave Keller
DM-third-rail-test-section_close-up_Greenlawn_5-22-98_Keller.jpg (100469 bytes)
DM unit 3rd rail test section close-up Greenlawn
5/22/98 Archive: Dave Keller
A short section of third rail in non-electrified territory, complete with safety guard on top; put into place to test the height of third rail contact shoes on the newly-arrived DM units in 1999.  It was there for a period of time and then removed.  
Info Robert Meyers
trainingtrainDietrichRyanJune10-09.jpg (105471 bytes)
LIRR "Training" consist 06/10/09
Photo: Dietrich Ryan
Bicentennial-Emblem_GP38-2_1976.JPG (54169 bytes)
Bicentennial Commemoration Emblem on GP38-2 - 1976
Team-Yard_with-Sleigh-Rochester-NY_c.1910.jpg (54900 bytes)
Team in yard at "Team Track" with Sleigh Rochester NY c.1910 
lirr retirement watch.jpg (86127 bytes)
LIRR Retirement Watch


GP38-2 #256 is at Sayville Station
Photo: Joesph Saullo


#272 Oakdale Station 
Photo: Joseph Saullo

lirr3185-XLW_ddoor-wood-sheathed-trussrods-fox trucks.jpg (88691 bytes)
LIRR #3185 Class: XLW double-door wood sheathed boxcar South Baltimore Car Co. 200 car lot 3025-3224 Built: 4-5/1904

506choochooshed.jpg (95076 bytes)
506 Choo Choo Lane Boxcar Storage

lipd2HelS.jpg (29573 bytes)
MTA helicopter surveillance patch c.1970 
Archive: Art H
uneke

LIPD3.jpg (71523 bytes)
Bell 47 Helicopter  c.1970 
Archive: Art Huneke

LIPDhelS.jpg (24126 bytes)
Helicopter patrol c.1970 
Archive: Art Huneke

lirr_helicopter-patrol_c.1970_Glueck.jpg (50549 bytes)
Helicopter patrol c.1970 
Photo: Richard Glueck

longislandmetrolines_BigEyeInTheSky_04-1971 (1).jpg (529287 bytes)

longislandmetrolines_BigEyeInTheSky_04-1971 (2).jpg (158910 bytes)
Long Island Metro Lines "Big eye in the sky" April 1971 
Archive: Al Castelli

lirr-crossing-sign_Bayliss-Ave-off-Sheep-Pasture-Road_George-Moraitis.jpg (47741 bytes)
Crossing sign at Baylis Ave off Sheep Pasture Road view S Photo: George Moraitis
lirr-crossing-sign_Evergreen-Branch_Hancock- St.-1998_Robert-Anderson.jpg (81151 bytes)
Evergreen Branch Hancock St. 1998 Photo: Robert Anderson

V Seyfried Obituary 18April2012.jpg (136764 bytes)
Vincent Seyfried Obituary 
Newsday  04/18/2012

ticket-Rail-Bus_Printers-error_BradPhillips.jpg (89507 bytes)
LIRR ticket Rail-Bus Printers error - Rail/Bus usage locations reversed 
Archive: Brad Phillips

new-lots-warning-sign_zoom-1946_Weber.jpg (44822 bytes)
New Lots "Live Wire" English-Italian-Yiddish warning sign - 
zoom 1946 Photo: F. Weber

lirr2000-Observation-Jamaica_Richmond-Hill-yard_9-24-1960_BillRugen.jpg (139559 bytes)
Built by American Car & Foundry in 1912 as chair (parlor) car. Converted to a coach (class PP70A) c.1924-25 LIRR #815 and shortly thereafter rebuilt to (open platform) business car LIRR #2000 "MONTAUK" in December 1925 and soon after renamed "JAMAICA". Used as parlor observation car after 1957. Withdrawn from service in 1968 and stored until 1972. Donated to Wantagh Preservation Society in 1972. Displayed at Wantagh Museum in Wantagh, NY.

Express-Wax-Sealers_DKeller.jpg (40138 bytes)
LI Express oval sealer from Montauk - Adams Express round sealer from Central Islip

There were two types:  One seal used for express business and one used for railroad business; such as ticket sales remittances.  Both types had the station name on them.  Some I've seen from the LIRR had only the station number like "Long Island Rail Road 59-1/2."

The LI Express sealer has both the station name AND the station number (115 = 115 miles from LI City).

Also, note that these sealers were GIVEN to me by the clerk/block operator at Montauk in 1971 and the agent/block operator at Central Islip around 1972. 
Photo/Collection/Info Dave Keller

ringhouse3-13-09_BrooklynEagle.jpg (305087 bytes)
"43 YEARS ON L.I.R.R. RINGHOUSE'S RECORD"
Brooklyn Eagle March 13, 1909 
lirr35_Gerosa-Hauling-Corp_enroute-Eisenhower-Park_Post-Ave-Old-Country-Road_6-1956_ArtHuneke.jpg (99374 bytes)
LIRR #35 en-route to Eisenhower Park, East Meadow, NY at Post Ave/Old Country Road 6/1956 Photo: Art Huneke
lirr35_Eisenhower-Park-postcard.jpg (100386 bytes)
LIRR #35 Eisenhower Park post card
Archive: William Gilligan
irr39_loaded-trailer_StonyBrook_taken-SB_carriage-Museum_7-1956.jpg (72139 bytes)
LIRR #39 loaded onto trailer to Stony Brook Carriage Museum 7/1956
Central RR of LI Passenger Coach-at Sta-Whitestone Ldg-c. 1877_Keller2.jpg (135055 bytes)

Central RR of LI Passenger Coach-at Sta-Whitestone Ldg-c. 1877_Keller.jpg (153959 bytes)
Central RR of LI Passenger Coach at Whitestone Landing c.1877 Archive: Dave Keller
MU 4153-Ladies Day Sign-Jamaica- Snow-1957.jpg (91236 bytes)
MU #4153 pulling westbound MU train into station, Jamaica, NY – “Ladies Day” sign on side of car: "LADIES YOU GET BARGAIN FARES TO NEW YORK ON WEDNESDAYS"  Winter, 1957 Dave Keller archive Note: old marker lamp lying unattended on platform in foreground!
PRR-Gas-Car-4670-Transfer-Table-MPShops-1935.jpg (121276 bytes)
PRR Gas Car #4670 Transfer Table MP Shops 1935
Archive: Dave Keller
PRR-Gas-Car-4744-Wading River-1-1932.jpg (89703 bytes)
PRR Gas Car #4744 Wading River 1/1932 Photo: George Ayling 
Archive: Dave Keller
cannonball.jpg (51576 bytes)
Cannonball Connetquot River eastbound
connetquotriver1970.jpg (43770 bytes)
Connetquot River eastbound 1970
Photo: Joe Korman
LIRR-4_1968.jpg (86926 bytes)
Connetquot River westbound 1968
Photo: J. P. Krzenski, Dave  Keller Archive
lirr-carwash-Interior-viewW_11-1977_MikeRobbins.jpg (63755 bytes)
Car wash interior - W. Islip 11/1977 Archive: Mike Robbins

MU-1725-Experimental-Alum-PaintJamaica-2-37.jpg (57263 bytes)MU #1725 Experimental aluminum paint to reflect sunlight to keep non-air conditioned cars cooler in the summer. Jamaica 02/1937. Archive: Dave Keller Painting would still be required, as would plenty of car washing, thanks to coal smoke, soot and dust, so no cost savings. Opinion: Dave Keller

Private-Car-Smithtown-MPYard-Queens-5-40.jpg (44691 bytes)Private Car: Smithtown - Morris Park Yard 5/40 Aluminum painted roof and Futura lettering scheme. Info: Dave Keller

MP15ac-154-GP38-2-276-Train_4236-Pine_ Aire_Siding-Last_Day_Svc_PSH-05-21-78_Madden-Keller.jpg (85029 bytes)MP15ac #154 and GP38-2 #276, coupled, are seen here with the Pilgrim State Hospital train #4236 on the siding at Pine Aire.  At the far left is the spur curving onto the state hospital grounds to access the station there.  The date is May 21, 1978 and this is the last day of train service to this state hospital.

Despite the two powered locomotives, this was not really a Push-Pull situation. The spur had no runaround track, so trains entering had to back out, then run empty to Ronkonkoma where they ran around the train on the wye and laid-up for the return trip in the afternoon.  In later years, such as in this view, they ran with two engines.  One would pull the train onto the spur and up to the station.  The other would pull the train out of the spur and all would run to Ronkonkoma for layup.  The loco on the east end would run around and couple to the west end and when back at Pilgrim, the train would back onto the spur up to the station, pick up passengers  and then double-head out westward as the engine served no purpose on the rear of the train.   (William Madden photo, Dave Keller archive)

      LIRR_Hospital-Car_1897_LocoEngineering-page771-774.jpg (1099323 bytes)
LIRR Hospital Car #117 Locomotive Engineering Article 1897

Baldwin-SSRR-1906-DietzLamps.jpg (55654 bytes)
Dietz Lamps at Baldwin station ex-South Side Railroad 1906

 

DietzLamp-no3.jpg (38259 bytes)
Established 1840, these lamps were used throughout the South Side Railroad and LIRR
Station-Mattituck-Exp-Hse-Water Tower- c. 1905.jpg (76662 bytes)
Dietz Lamps at LIRR Mattituck Express House c. 1905

 

lirrretirementwatch.jpg (56653 bytes)
LIRR "Last Run" Retirement Watch 11/01/2006 
Owner/Photo: Robert S. Anderson
lirr_RobertAnderson-LastRunTrainOrder-11-1-2006.jpg (43289 bytes)
Robert Anderson "Last Run" Train Order 11/01/2006
 Owner/Photo: Robert S. Anderson
SBK Steeplecab 5-Boxcab 4 pulling Idler and R10 Subway Cars Past Coney Island Shops-Bklyn-c. 1947 (Keller) (Sharpened).jpg (133079 bytes)
South Brooklyn Railway Steeplecab electric locomotive #5 and boxcab electric motor #4 pulling idler car and a string of new BMT R-10 cars along McDonald Ave. southbound past the Coney Island Shops.  View is northwest.  The BMT Culver Line is overhead and the BMT Avenue X station is visible in the center background - 1947  (Dave Keller archive)