Patchogue   


Click for:  
Patchogue page 2 
PD Tower Gone 1912-2006

PD Signal History
PD Crew Messages 1929-42
Q&A on Patchogue Operations with J.J. Earl


SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD - EARLY PATCHOGUE BEGINNINGS


1873 South Side Railroad

Pre-1888 South Side Railroad

Pre-1888 Schematic MP 53
Patchogue turntable and enghouse.jpg (51546 bytes)
SSRR turntable and enginehouse, Little Patchogue River 
(later Tuthill's Creek)   Collection: SUNY, Stony Brook Photo: George Brainerd
patchEdLangartwork.jpg (258900 bytes)
South Side RR Train Shed 1876
Painting: Edward Lange 
Collection: Queensborough Public Library
ssrrwestpatch.jpg (53317 bytes)
South Side RR crossing Patchogue River into 
Train Shed c. 1870 Photo: George Brainerd

  Regarding the SSRR’s train shed pictured above by LIRR artist Edward Lange

I thought the artist may have taken “artist’s license”, however, everything else in the painting is realistic which leads me to believe that perhaps he’s correct.  The 3 roof vents are spaced farther apart because this is almost a broadside view.  The photo in Ziel’s book shows them closer together and that’s probably because that shot is almost head-on.  Also, the shed is cut off by the edge of the photo and some trees (?).

Went to Seyfried’s “Volume I:  The South Side Rail Road” and the description for Patchogue station in the back of the book said a “substantial shed” was constructed in July/August, 1869 and it was 220 feet long, definitely a “substantial” shed.

220 feet is the equivalent of four (4) P54 steam cars coupled with the left over 4 feet being taken up by the couplers.  You can’t go by the cars depicted in the painting because they’re not only, most probably, out of scale, but the cars back then weren’t 54 feet long, either!  A 220 feet long shed could have held a 5-car train of 40 feet long varnish coaches plus engine and tender! Info: Dave Keller

LIRR - EARLY PATCHOGUE BEGINNINGS - Patchogue Incorporated in 1893

Old Grist Mill 1908
Patchogue pen and ink.jpg (1514422 bytes)
Patchogue view SE
Pen and Ink c. 1888
patchdepot.jpg (28283 bytes)
Patchogue Station view NW 1905
Photo: H. Noble Chapman
Patchogue opened Summer, 1888 - razed 05//16/1963
Roe-Blvd-Bridge_viewN-from-boat_c.1900.jpg (69701 bytes)
Roe Blvd. Bridge across 
Patchogue Lake view N from 
boat c.1900

Patchogue Station view NW
Patchogue06-29-1905scheduleDaveMorrision.jpg (284184 bytes)
LIRR June 29-1905 Timetable
Collection: Dave Morrison
EARLY PATCHOGUE MAPS
PatchogueBelcherHyde1917yardarea.jpg (120777 bytes)
1917 Hyde Map - Yard Area

PatchogueBelcherHyde1917.jpg (340749 bytes)
1917 Hyde Map - MP53-54 
pathydemapMill.jpg (73507 bytes)
Hyde Map - Patchogue Mfg. Co 
 c.1900
pat1918valuationmap.jpg (106501 bytes)
1918 Yard area valuation map
pathydemapyard.jpg (120763 bytes)
Hyde Map - Yard Area c.1900

1910 Schematic MP 53
1926SanbornPatchogue.jpg (182334 bytes)
1926 Composite Sanborn Map area West of  Ocean Ave. 
The small building east of PELCO reads, 1 Pump. Outside (perhaps) as follows: "Finished Floor Construction Except Exposed Steel BR(ICK)-W(AL)LS  Conc(rete) Fl(oor) & P(ainted) F(inish)"  

 

EmeryMap-Patchogue-Yard-1938-SUNY.jpg (119846 bytes)
Emery Map Patchogue Yard 1938 Archive: SUNY Stony Brook
PATCHOGUE MAPS - 1950+ 
Emery_Patchogue_MP52-53_5-58.jpg (388082 bytes)
Emery map 5/1958 MP 52-53 Reid Ice Cream, Atlantic Ave., Blue Point to Lace Mill siding, River  Ave. Patchogue  
Emery_Patchogue_MP53-54_5-58.jpg (357539 bytes)
Emery map 5/1958 MP 53-54  Patchogue River to Evergreen Ave, Patchogue
Emery_Patchogue_MP54-55_5-58.jpg (113896 bytes)
Emery map 5/1958 MP 54-55  Grove Ave to Middle Island Rd. (now Hewlett Ave), Patchogue

1958 Schematic MP 53


1999 Schematic MP 53


Circa 1950 LIRR
P-54 Car Capacities
38-Patchogue.jpg (60412 bytes)
LIRR map 1966 - page 38
   REID ICE CREAM
Note: Located just east of MP52 SW corner of Atlantic Ave (Bluepoint) part of "Y" cabin. Included for proximity to Patchogue as an industry of note. 


Reid Iced Cream Reefer - "Fantasy" model of c.1920's

reid_ice_cream_company_truck_poster.jpg (28762 bytes)
Reid Ice Cream Co.
truck poster c.1925

Emery-Reid-Ice-Cream_closeup_MP52_5-58.jpg (36722 bytes)

PatchogueAdvance-2-16-61_ReidIceCream-opening-02-19-26.jpg (42526 bytes)
Patchogue Advance 2/16/1961 - "35 Years Ago" - 
Opening of Reid Ice Cream Co., Blue Point  2/19/1926

 

The Reid Ice Cream Corp. factory (of Bayport), opened in 1926, and was sold to Borden Corp. at some point in the very early 1930s. The plant officially closed its doors on October 3, 1969. This is per an article by Jo Ann McGrath. "Reid Plant in Local History." [no source indicated, but could be the Bayport-Blue Point Historical Society Newsletter, n.d.]: pp. 3, 6. The article reports the property and factory on the market placed with McDee Realty, for $1.2 million, so it was written before the factory was demolished.

The article also said that Suffolk County's real ice cream baron, and the man who first cornered that commercial market, was Augustus Floyd Smith, of East Patchogue, starting in 1879. "Blocks of ice were cut from Robinson's Pond. Some of it was stored...and some of it was chopped and liberally salted. The salted ice was packed around a freezer container into which the ice cream mixture was poured. A horse was then harnessed to a large wheeland walked 'round and round' to agitate the paddles. In this manner Smith was able to provide ice cream to all the hotels and restaurants in Patchogue; to both Clarence and Charley Hawkins' Bellport confectionery store and, with some 'modernization' of his equipment, to the men stationed at Camp Upton during WW I." (p. 3.)  His son took over in 1919, and sold out to Reid Ice Cream Corp. in 1926.

Reid's Ice Cream Plant does show up on Atlantic Avenue Gene Horton's Blue Point, Long Island, New York, Then and Now.  East Patchogue, NY:  Searles Graphics, Inc., 1999:  p. 6.  At the time the "now" shot shows it still there.   Courtesy Research of: Mark Rothenberg, Senior Reference Specialist, Suffolk Cooperative Library System & Patchogue-Medford Library

Reid Ice Cream retail sidewalk sign
 

Patchogue-Atlantic-Ave_Reid-Ice-Cream_viewW_1940_Weber.jpg (95293 bytes)
Reid Ice Cream - Atlantic Ave  view W, (East below) 1940
Photo: Fred Weber Archive: SUNY Stony Brook

Patchogue-Atlantic-Ave_Reid-Ice-Cream_viewE_1940_Weber.jpg (77469 bytes)
Patchogue Yard Limit sign in background

ReidIceCream-BluePoint_viewW-c.1990.jpg (82312 bytes)
Reid Ice Cream view W 2001
Atlantic Ave, Blue Point  Photo: Steven Lynch


ReidIceCream-BluePoint_viewSE-c.1990.jpg (49636 bytes)
Reid Ice Cream view SE 2001

ReidIceCream-BluePoint_viewS-c.1990.jpg (57792 bytes)
Reid Ice Cream view S 2001

 

Patchogue_Hughes-Bailey-drawn-aerial_viewSE_1906.jpg (590960 bytes)
Patchogue Hughes-Bailey Aerial 3D drawn view SE 1906 - Created by a team that walked the streets and drew the buildings, houses, industries, rail, roads, etc. 
with  the appropriate notes. The material was then taken back and complied into the 3D aerial style as the finished product.

Patchogue_Birds-Eye_map_viewNW_1928.jpg (2355119 bytes)
Patchogue Hughes & Cinquin Aerial 3D drawn view NW 1928
BAILEY'S MILL
1869 Edwin Bailey & Son 10 acres 275 men, branch yards Sayville/Islip
Patchogue-BaileyMill_EdLangeDrawing-PatchogueLibraryArchive.jpg (108313 bytes)
Bailey's Lumber Mill 1896 Edward Lange drawing Archive: Patchogue Library

BaileyAndSon-postcard.jpg (85270 bytes)
Bailey & Son advertising post card


Bailey & Smith, on Pine Street north of Fishel's Store (pre-Swezey's) Call for info (c. 1880+ as they had American Bell telephone)

bailey-invoice_01-01-1884.jpg (45398 bytes)
Bailey & Son Invoice 01/01/1884

Bailey & Sons Lumber Dealers Ad c.1885+  Pine Street was changed to Ocean Ave. Telephone Call 2 Note: AT&T founded 1885 - At this time the telephone exchange was a single digit (2)
baileysmill-ad_1-22-1887.jpg (85051 bytes)
E. Bailey & Sons shipments by rail 
and water, Yards in Patchogue and
Islip 01/22/1887
BaileyPlaningMillOffice_c.1900.jpg (32433 bytes)
Bailey Planing Mill Office c.1900 view SW from West Ave.

The 3 story brick Lumber Mill building, to the right of the office, was added sometime later c.1910+

baileymillsw.jpg (149404 bytes)
View SW c.1906 postal card - 3 story Brick Mill not yet constructed

 

BaileyPlaningMill.jpg (46773 bytes)


Bailey Planing Mill View S c. 1910+
colorized photo post card

Patchogue-BaileysMill-3-46.jpg (45220 bytes)
Bailey's Lumber Mill view SW 03/1946  Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
patchogue-westave-viewsouth.jpg (140075 bytes)
West Ave. view S 05/1943
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller

 


View SW c. 1921

LIRR #193 Rotary Snowplow across from Bailey's Lumber Mill, south yard 1921 Archive: Dave Keller
patchogueyard-viewNE-c.1920.jpg (103558 bytes)
Patchogue yard Arial view NE c.1920
PatchogueYard-viewNE-fromBaileys.jpg (60325 bytes)
Patchogue yard view NE c.1920
bailey_ USPre-Fab_c.1944.jpg (64526 bytes)
United States Prefab Corporation 1944
The Bailey Lumber Mill went out of business in 1939 and the site was taken over by the Bruns –Kimball Company in 1940. This company was building aircraft rescue boats for the Defense Department until their contract expired. 

THE SUFFOLK COUNTY NEWS, SAYVILLE/N.Y. FRIDAY, JUNE 28, 1946 United States Prefab Corporation took over Bossert-Bailey Lumber Mills. The United States Prefab Corporation, a subsidiary of the Adirondack Log Cabin Company, was awarded a government contract under the Land – Lease Program, to build thirty thousand prefab homes for England, but this contract was cancelled after the construction of only 300 homes.

In the following years the mill complex was leased to several other firms and manufacturers. The LIRR siding was removed in 1950. Shortly thereafter, on November 22, 1951, a large fire, causing $500,000 damage, wiped out three firms leasing in the mill and damaged a fourth. The National Lock Corner Cabinet Corporation, Colonial Art, and the Castle Silver Company were the firms totally wiped out. The Castle Silver Company produced plated hollowware and was finishing surgical instruments for the Department of Defense, employing 35 people.

PATCHOGUE STATION AREA
Patchogue-LH-262_ Die-No.1and2.jpg (69790 bytes)
Ticket LH-262 Patchogue to Blue Point 04/09/1962 Archive: Brad Phillips
Patchogue-LH-262_ Die-No.1and2-reverse.jpg (50865 bytes)
Ticket Patchogue to Blue Point reverse 04/09/1962 Archive: Brad Phillips

ticket_Form_1H-G _Patchogue-New-York_US-Govt_BradPhillips.jpg (52367 bytes)
Ticket Form 1H-G Patchogue to Penn Sta. US Gov't 
Archive: Brad Phillips

1981 pat ticket.jpg (49051 bytes)
Ticket from NY Penn Station to Patchogue 
fare (Zone Eleven) 1981


1906 drawing station area

1906academystreet.jpg (124055 bytes)
View SE 1906 drawing Academy Street

PatchAcademyCivilWarMonument.jpeg (34487 bytes)
Patchogue Academy with Civil War Monument  (view looking east)  LIRR “Schoolhouse track” to the right, Academy Street on the left

Former Knights of Columbus Hall, built 1930, VFW Hall (partly the rear wing of the former Patchogue High School Building, of a much earlier date) located on south side of Academy Street

Patcheastc.1925.jpg (36987 bytes)
Patchogue post card view east c. 1925 Thanks to: Art Huneke

firsttrainPennNY_Patch09-8-1910.jpg (28780 bytes)
1st train from Penn Station out to Patchogue: 9/8/1910. Photo by Howard S. Conklin Collection: Dave Keller

pd1947fredweber_morrison.jpg (35570 bytes)
PD and Baggage House 1947 
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
northsiding1947Weber-Morrison.jpg (55908 bytes)
View west "North siding" 1947
Photo: F. Weber Archive: Dave Keller

Train Orders pickup c. 1955
LIRR-leased_PRR-K4_4-6-2_east-OceanAve-1936_teamtrack1-atleft.jpg (45614 bytes)
Leased PRR-K4 4-6-2 east of Ocean Ave view NW 1936, team track no.1 at left
prrheavyweightcoach-patchogue.jpg (21106 bytes)
PRR Heavyweight coach at east
end of Baggage House view NW
LIRR_RDC-1_3101_renumbered49_Patchogue.jpg (39850 bytes)
LIRR RDC-1 #3101 renumbered #49 view NW
Patchogue-Station_viewSW_1960_ArtHuneke.jpg (77196 bytes)
Patchogue Station view SW 6/1960 Photo: Art Huneke
Patchogue1960_ArtHuneke.jpg (59865 bytes)
Patchogue view east 1960
Photo: Art Huneke
1962pat-watertowergone-brickfreighthouse-expresshouse-supervisor'soffice.jpg (70207 bytes)
 Patchogue view west Supervisor's office water tower, gas tank, brick freight house, express house 1962
Photo: Art Huneke
US Mail Sign-BUDD RDCs-Patchogue-1-1962.jpg (101117 bytes)
Close-up of the "NO PARKING U.S. MAIL" sign at the platform 01/1962
Archive: Dave Keller
PD-Tower-Express-House_Art-Huneke.jpg (75464 bytes)
PD Tower Express House c.1960 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke

BUDD RDC1,2-Scoot-Express Hse-Patchogue-1-1962.jpg (112736 bytes)
BUDD RDC 1,2 Scoot at the express house and mail-loading platform 01/1962 Archive: Dave Keller
Patchogue_aerial-photo_1962_JimMooney-EagleEyeAirPhoto.jpg (70713 bytes)
Patchogue aerial photo 1962 
Jim Mooney "Eagle Eye Air Photo"

lirr7734-RPO_RDC1-3101_Patchogue_6-1965.jpg (88269 bytes)
LIRR RPO #7734 RDC 1-2  #3101 lead unit Patchogue 6/1965


RDCs at Baggage House 4/6/63
Photo: Dave Keller 
FM2006-PatchExpHse-1956.jpg (39492 bytes)
FM 2006 Patchogue Express House 1956 Collection: Dave Keller

Patchogue_aerial-photo_9-28-1963_JimMooney-EagleEyeAirPhoto.jpg (81589 bytes)
Patchogue aerial photo 9/28/1963 
Jim Mooney "Eagle Eye Air Photo"
LIRailroader_V8N6_03141963_p1_Patchogue_Station_replacement.jpg (178709 bytes)
LI Railroader Vol. 8 No. 6 
03/14/1963 page 1
LIRailroader_V8N11_05231963_p4_Patchogue_Station_demolition.jpg (103914 bytes)
LI Railroader Vol. 8 No. 11 05/23/1963 page 4 Patchogue Station demolition 

"Take A Big Bite" - That's the instruction Mayor Robert T. Waldbauer of Patchogue is getting from President Goodfellow, as they prepare for the demolition of our 75-year-old Patchogue station. It will be replaced as part of the a give-and-take arrangement that will produce a quarter-million-dollar station and commuter parking complex. A 30-foot house trailer is serving as a temporary ticket office and waiting room.

Patchogue_demolition-crane_05-1963.jpg (20896 bytes)
Patchogue demolition crane 05//16/1963

MayorWaldbauer_demolition-crane_05-1963.jpg (22900 bytes)
Mayor Waldbauer at station 
demolition crane 05/23/1963

LIRailroader_V8N16_08011963_p1_Patchogue_Station_new_construction.jpg (155671 bytes)
LI Railroader Vol. 8 No. 16 
08/01/1963 page 1
Patchogue Station "Going Up"

 

Patchogue_MayorWaldbauer-dedication_09-28-1963_JimMooney.jpg (56448 bytes)
New station dedication - Mayor Waldbauer, left of podium Senator Otis Pike on the right Suffolk County Executive Lee Dennison 9/28/1963 Photo: Jim Mooney
LIRR 56 Eng 1554 at Patchogue 1964.jpg (58598 bytes)
LIRR Train 56 Eng #1554
Photo: 1964
parlor1975PDtower.jpg (53902 bytes)
LIRR Parlor Eastbound 1975 at PD Tower
FA617-Patchogue.jpg (85190 bytes)
Alco FA #617 c. late 1980's

Patchogue Station view N 2000
Photo: Steve Lynch
lirr202_Patchogue-Ocean-Ave_viewE_1975.jpg (202160 bytes)
LIRR #202 Ocean Ave. view E 1975
lirr612_Patchogue-Ocean-Ave_viewE-1975.jpg (201528 bytes)
LIRR #612 Ocean Ave. view E 1975
ticket_patchogue-1986.jpg (35097 bytes)
Ticket Patchogue - Penn Sta. 1986

PATCHOGUE YARD

30'bridgepatriver.jpg (82040 bytes)
The entrance to the yard from the west is over the 30' bridge spanning the Patchogue River. View N 2001
Photo: Steven Lynch 

Patchogue-LocoCoalingFacilities-5-43.jpg (61766 bytes)
Loco Coal Facilities and local dealer coal dock. Razed 1928. PELCO Plant in background view W 05/1943

Patchogue-LocoCoalingFacilities-5-1943-closeup.jpg (64322 bytes)
Note: "ENGINES STOP HERE" for spotting hoppers - Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller


View SE 1906 drawing Rail Yard

1955-billslade_pat-armstrongtable.jpg (100664 bytes)
Armstrong turntable view SE 1955 
Photo: Bill Slade

Patchogue-CoalingFacilities-3-46.jpg (40303 bytes)
Loco Coal Facilities and local dealer coal dock on West Ave. View W  03/1946 Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller

patch_viewenginehouse.jpg (61732 bytes)
View west of 4 stall engine house from the roof of the brick freight house  c. 1910 W. J. Rugen
Collection: SUNY, Stony Brook, NY Thanks to: Dave Morrison 

The freight platform on the west side of the building was open. The freight platform on the east side of the building was covered and extended all the way up to the Railroad Ave. crossing. The street in this view is the West Avenue crossing.

Ackerly's was the predecessor of Patchogue Music. They obviously sold a lot of pianos in the early years of the 20th century! 
Info: Dave Keller
See PATCHOGUE VILLAGE section below.


Turntable yard view E from roundhouse roof c.1925


Patchogue-CoalingFacilities-FrtHse-east_ 9-44.jpg (81365 bytes)
Coaling Facilities - freight warehouse view E  09/1944 Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
Patchogue-FrtHse-Side-9-44.jpg (76444 bytes)
Freight Warehouse Westside Platform view East  09/1944 Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
Patchogue-CoalingRamp-WestAve-5-43.jpg (49031 bytes)
Loco Coal Facilities and local dealer 
coal dock on West Ave. View North  05/1943 
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
Patchogue-MP53_viewE_5-1943_Weber-Keller.jpg (72958 bytes)
Patchogue MP53 view E 5/1943 

It's May, 1943 and we're looking east into the Patchogue yard and station area from the west side of the Patchogue River bridge at MP 53.  The track in the right foreground is the Ringhouse siding, which came off the Main just west of River Avenue.  At the right is the old brick office building of Bailey's Lumber Mill.  In the distance can be seen the section house and office with the water tower rising beyond.  At the left a locomotive is laying up in the engine service area, with coaling derricks visible and at the far left is a leased PRR locomotive on one of the turntable "garden" tracks, at the former location of the 4-stall engine house.  (F. Weber photo, Dave Keller archive)

Patchogue-FrtHse-3-46.jpg (78928 bytes)
Freight station view SW 03/1946
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller

Patchogue-FrtHse-3-46_v2.jpg (54401 bytes)
Freight station photo composite 
view SW 03/1946 Built c. <1900
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
 Composite: Steve Lynch

Patchogue-FrtPlatform-3-46.jpg (42755 bytes)
Freight station west side platform
view S 03/1946 Built c. <1900
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller  Composite: Steve Lynch
PRR-E3sd-917-c. 1935.JPG (115764 bytes)
Leased 4-4-2 PRR E3sd #917 c.1935 on the turntable lead Archive: Dave Keller


E7s Atlantic (4-4-2) 1940
on the turntable Photo: Fagerberg


LIRR #193 Rotary Snowplow across from Bailey's Lumber Mill, south yard 1921 Archive: Dave Keller

Patchogue ash pit 2985 4-4-2 Class E3sd  9820 4-4-2 Class E7s H.Reschke.jpg (88495 bytes)
Patchogue ash pit #2985 4-4-2 Class E3sd, #9820 4-4-2 Class E7s c. mid-late 1930's Photo: H. Reschke

Patchogue-SectionHouse_WestSide_5-1943.jpg (66349 bytes)
Section house View E  5/1943
Archive: Dave Keller


Patchogue Water Tank -Section House
Railroad Ave. view S 7/43 Fred Weber


Patchogue-Section-House_viewW_winter1952_Keller.jpg (31689 bytes)
Patchogue Section House view W -Winter 1952
Archive: Dave Keller
patchogue-westave-viewsouth.jpg (140075 bytes)
West Ave view South  05/1943
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller

Patchogue - Railroad Ave. - West - 5-43.jpg (61898 bytes)
Railroad Ave view West  05/1943
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
 

PRR Erie built FM #4973 Railroad Ave view N
Patchogue 6/1949 Archive: Art Huneke

The LIRR was in need of a 2000 HP locomotive to handle Montauk trains in order to return the K4-s back to the PRR. This photo shows a PRR cab unit on the Long Island RR. It is an Erie built FM 2000HP cab unit. in Summer of 1949. The PRR had previously sent an Alco PA-1 to LI for test back in December 1948. Both of these tests were short stints. What is known is that shortly after the Erie built was on LI, the PRR placed the LIRR in Bankruptcy. In the coming year, the Trustees placed orders with FM which brought the 2000HP and 2400 HP C liners to the LIRR in the Tichy colors. All the K-4s on the LIRR went back to the PRR once the C Liners were on the LIRR in 1951. They were no longer needed for the Montauk trains as C Liners now were handling these trains.

Patchogue-OpenFrtPlatform-5-43.jpg (69524 bytes)
Freight station west side open platform view North  03/1946
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
Patchogue - Railroad Ave. - North - 5-43.jpg (154605 bytes)
Railroad Ave view North  05/1943
Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
patch-RailroadAve-viewN.jpg (71456 bytes)
Railroad Ave view North 1960
BuddRDC-RS1-464-S2-455-G5s-28Patchogue-1955.jpg (93583 bytes)
Budd RDC RS1, S2 #464 & #455, G5s #28 Patchogue Yard 1955 Photo: Art Huneke, Archive: Dave Keller
Flatcar-ArmyTank-M4Sherman1960ArtHuneke.jpg (105346 bytes)
Army Sherman M4  View NE 1960
Photo/Archive: Art Huneke
lirr110_patchoguebuilt1916.jpg (36429 bytes)
Engine 110  built 1916 ex-PRR 8610 c. 1928+ at turntable view NE

West Ave crossing view W 2001
Photo: Steven Lynch 


Current view c. 2001 LIRR MOW
 facility - LILCO (ex-PELCO) in background View NW 
Photo: Steven Lynch 

EmeryMap-Patchogue-Yard-1938-SUNY.jpg (119846 bytes)
Emery Map Patchogue Yard 1938 Archive: SUNY Stony Brook

SUFFOLK TRACTION COMPANY

Suffolk Traction Co. Battery  Car 1 on Flatcar-Patchogue-6-1911.jpg (61261 bytes)
Battery car #1 on flatcar on arrival at Patchogue yard – June, 1911.  Notice Week's coaling ramp in background.
Photo: Howard S. Conklin Archive: Queensboro Public Library

Suffolk Traction Co-Battery Car 1-Patchogue-7-1911.jpg (104858 bytes)
Close-up of Suffolk Traction Co. Battery car #1 with track close to curb Sayville, NY on opening day
 July, 1911. Info/Archive: Dave Keller


Suffolk Traction - Main St. view W c. 1915

MORE: SUFFOLK TRACTION

LACE MILL

1798 Paper Mill erected near Lace Mill by Jonas Wicks. Destroyed by fire 1850.  (1)
1800 Cotton twine mill just west of the paper mill by Frederick Odell
1816 Sold to Justus Roe (11/10/1773-3/31/1847)
1832 Enlarged Justus Roe
1851 John E. Roe, Grandson, (c.1833-10/16/1875) Union Twine Mill built 1851; First building of the future lace mill. 
1873 Beers Atlas map of Patchogue shows Union Twine Mills on land that belongs to John E. Roe. 
1880 John S. Havens handled the Mill affairs and leased to Carslow, Henderson and Co. Scotland (began crinoline manufacture, later imported lace curtains, bleached and finished them)
1884 Sanborn map of Patchogue shows a backwards "L"-shaped building on the site with the note: "This Mill is Being Fitted up by Anderson & Churchill for Bleaching & Finishing Cotton Goods."
1887 End of water wheel use
1888 Beers Atlas (Section M) Carslow & Henderson Bleachery & Dye Works, owned by John S. Havens. 
1890 Sold to Patchogue Lace Manufacturing Co. The first looms were imported and installed.
1892 Owned by PELCO (operated by Charles E. Rose and Son)
10/21/1893 "American Lace Mills Shut Down" NY Times
12/04/1893 "Patchogue Lace Mills To Start" NY Times
10/14/1954 "Patchogue Mill To Quit: Lace Concern to Close Before Jan. 1, as "Sales Drop" NY Times
04/22/1963 LIRR General Order: GO No.932 April 22, 1963 Lace Mill turnout taken out of service

(1)  Thomas R. Bayles, in  "Early Mills in Patchogue," Se 7, 1950
Research: Mark Rothenberg - Patchogue Library and Steven Lynch

lace-mill_Patchogue_viewNE_c.1905.jpg (92646 bytes)
Lace Mill - View NE c.1905
patchoguemil09postcard.jpg (102520 bytes)
View N 1909 Pat. Mfg. Co


Lace Mill view SW


Lace Mill view S, George G. Ayling photo, Dave Keller archive
PatchogueManufacturingCompany_invoice_02-11-1911.jpg (74032 bytes)
Patchogue Manufacturing Co. Invoice 02/11/1911


Lace Mill view SE


Lace Mill view NW
PatchogueManufacturingWorks_c.1906.jpg (19946 bytes)
Patchogue Manufacturing Works c.1906

Brookhaven Daily Eagle November 9, 1907: Patchogue Manufacturing Company 1,000,000 pairs of curtains 0ver 600 people employed over $6,000 payroll week

noonhourlacemill.jpg (59365 bytes)
Noon Hour at the Lace Mill - Main St. 
lace-mill-viewSW_1950_HansHenke.jpg (49474 bytes)
Lace Mill view SW 1950 
Archive: Hans Henke
lacemill_JimMooney_c.1950_viewNE.jpg (86047 bytes)
Aerial Lace Mill  c.1950 view NE
Photo: Jim Mooney
lacemill_sidings-razed_viewNW.jpg (51602 bytes)
Aerial Lace Mill  view NW sidings razed Photo: Jim Mooney
lacemill_JimMooney_c.1963viewNE.jpg (53408 bytes)
Aerial Lace Mill view NE after area road work Photo: Jim Mooney


Lace Mill view E  c. 1985

milln.jpg (224939 bytes)
Lace Mill view N c. 1985

Lace Mill view NW c. 1985
PATCHOGUE VILLAGE - FOUR CORNERS

Sanborn Patchogue maps indicate:

Jan. 1884, Dec. 1891 indicate today's N. Ocean listed as Pine St., and today's S. Ocean Ave. simply as "Ocean Ave."
May 1897, Aug. 1902, Feb.1910  shows that N. Ocean Ave. has replaced Pine. St.   South Ocean, is still listed as "Ocean Ave"
Oct. 1916 "South  Ocean Ave." first appearance

Mark Rothenberg, Senior Reference Specialist, Patchogue-Medford Library


4 Corners view N at Main Street c.1923

Patchogue-1914_Ocean-Ave_viewN_colorized-postcard_Morrison.jpg (118486 bytes)
Ocean Ave 1914 view N colorized postcard 
Archive: Dave Morrison


Ocean Ave view N toward 4 Corners
 Main Street c. 1920's

patchogue1930MiltPrice.jpg (33563 bytes)
Patchogue Four Corners: view is looking east.  McBride’s Drug Store at the far left, wooden framed building at right burned c. mid-late 1950s.  It was replaced with one-story storefronts.  Havil’s Jewelers was on that corner for years.  The church spire in the left background is the red/brown stone  Congregational Church that used to be across the street from the Patchogue Stationery store. Photo: Milt Price c. 1930 Info: Dave Keller

patch1950s.jpg (34483 bytes)
Patchogue view W c. 1950's


4 Corners view W c. 1923


4 Corners view W c. 1930

Patchogue_Swezey_viewNW.jpg (96025 bytes)
Patchogue 4 Corners view NW c.2002. The store closed 2003 razed 2012.


Aerial drawing Four Corner's 
view SE 1906
AckerlyPianoStore_c.1906.jpg (39485 bytes)
Ackerly Piano Store .1906


Shand's  Feed & Hardware Main St. c. 1970

Ackerly-UprightPianoAd_c.1906.jpg (60662 bytes)
Ackerly Upright Piano Ad c.1906
PATCHOGUE CROSSING SHANTIES 
patchogueshantymap.jpg (14084 bytes)
Patchogue Crossing Shanties map
Research/design: Steven Lynch

LIRR Crossing Shanties

http:

BayAveShanty-Patchogue-1968-viewN-closeup.jpg (52060 bytes)
Bay Ave Shanty 1968 view N close-up
Patchogue - Railroad Ave. - North - 5-43.jpg (154604 bytes)
 Railroad Ave - Patchogue view N 05/1943
Patchogue-UnderwoodCoal-Coke-10-43_F.Weber-DaveKeller.jpg (232356 bytes)
Underwood Coal Co. 10/1943 view W of  River Ave.  Photo: F. Weber, Archive: Dave Keller
Patchogue-S.Cntry Rd Xing-Mail Crane-West-4-24-46-Close-up.jpg (73779 bytes)
South Country Road view W Mail Crane for the East Patchogue Post Office and Crossing Shanty - 04/24/1946
PATCHOGUE PAGE 2