Town-of-Babylon-Historic-Markers_May-12-2018.jpg (199773 bytes)
Town of Babylon Historic Markers - May 12, 2018

Babylon 

Babylon-Freight-House-1888_viewW_MTA-LIRR.jpg (65306 bytes)
Babylon Freight House 1888 View W Archive: MTA-LIRR

SOUTH SIDE R.R. BEGAN SVC: 10/28/67 DEPOT OPENED.
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 7/2/1881, RAZED: 1963 WITH GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION. TEMPORARY STATION ON ACCOUNT OF GRADE CROSSING ELIMINATION IN SVC: 4/6/63. OUT OF SVC: 9/9/64  AND RAZED. ELEVATED STRUCTURE IN SVC: 9/9/64. Research: Dave Keller

 



MU-Babylon-1stElecTrain_5-20-1925_Block operator James V. Osborne at right_Keller.jpg (38952 bytes)

Babylon 1st Electric Train  5/20/1925 - Block Operator James V. Osborne at right. Archive: Dave Keller

BELMONT JUNCTION

West of Babylon near Great East Neck Road. Named after the nearby Belmont Stud Farm owned by August Belmont.  The Central Railroad of LI crossed the South Side Rail Road at this point. When both roads were acquired by the LIRR, the CRR of LI became the LIRR’s Central Branch Extension. The crossing was removed, a junction was created and tracks south of the junction were removed.  Passenger station and telegraph office appears on
timetables of 1873 -1880. In 1877, 1878 and 1880, some trains made regular stops.  "Long Island and Where to Go" from 1877 shows a depot and telegraph office with five daily trains each way. By 1880 made “F” stops. Telegraph office only per ETT #22, Eff: 6/18/1885 (No trains stopped. Switchman or operator had telegraph).  Per Seyfried, interlocking installed 9/10/1886.  Per “Railroad Gazette” of 2/10/1888, interlocking was “to be installed.” No data if it ever was. Station gone from timetables by 1896. (per Art Huneke). Junction of central branch with Montauk (Babylon) Branch elevated with Babylon grade crossing elimination project: 1964.  Junction still in operation.  Research: Dave Keller


1873 map Central Railroad of Long Island to Fire Island Dock,
Babylon Archive: Art Huneke

The C.R.R. of L.I. crossed the south side railroad at Belmont Junction. After those roads were merged a connection was installed and the trackage was removed south of the crossing.  A passenger station existed from 1873 until at least 1880.  “Long Island and Where to Go” from 1877 shows a depot and telegraph office with five daily trains each way. Employee timetable (ETT) no. 22 of June 1885 shows a telegraph office, but no trains stopping. By 1896 Belmont Junction is no longer in the timetables.  Info: Art Huneke


Belmont Junction 1877 Archive: Art Huneke

At this point the Central Railroad of Long Island, intersects and joins the Southern Railroad, of Long Island, Within two miles of the depot  is Mr. Aug. Belmont's celebrated stud farm, "The Nursery." Here his beautiful thoroughbred horses are raised and trained for the race course; this is one of the most complete establishments of its kind in the country. Nobody should fail to visit it.


Belmont Jct. of Montauk and Central Branches - View W of Babylon
5/15/1974  Photo: William Madden  Archive: Dave Keller


Belmont Junction historic marker
William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2017


Babylon-Station_colorized-postcard.jpg (102562 bytes)
Babylon Station colorized post card c.1900 view NW 

 


Babylon Station colorized post card c.1900 view NE 

Note:  Upon completion of electrification to Babylon (right), Babylon-Patchogue Scoot service began that month. 
The initial Scoot service utilized the LIRR Gas Cars #4669-4670.

LIRR_1st-Electric-Train-to-Babylon_5-20-25_BradPhillips.jpg (58228 bytes)
LIRR Special Run - 1st MU electric train to Babylon Pass
5/20/25 Archive: Brad Phillips

LIRR_1st-Electric-Train-to-Babylon_5-20-25_back_BradPhillips.jpg (36956 bytes)
LIRR 1st MU electric train to Babylon Pass - schedule on reverse  5/20/25 Archive: Brad Phillips


1888  Map  from the archives of  SUNY at  Stony Brook, courtesy of David Morrison
Babylon-Railroad-Horsecar_c.1880.jpg (115247 bytes)
Babylon Rail Road - Horsecar c.1880

1888turntablebabylon.jpg (202431 bytes)
1888 Hyde Map Turntable Collection: Stony Brook, NY

babylonprior5-16-1906emery.jpg (147041 bytes)
Emery Map: W. Babylon :  Great East Neck Road Crossing.  <1906  MP34-35. The CRR of  LI crossed the road AND the LIRR tracks at grade on their trek to the Babylon Town Dock.  Archive: Dave Keller

Emery map: MP36-37 1925 Archive: Dave Keller
Emery-Babylon-East-Suttons-Creek_Higbie-Lane-before-1925.jpg (177297 bytes)
Emery Map: Babylon - East of Suttons Creek to Higbie Lane before 1925 Archive: Dave Keller

sanbornBabylon9-1928DeerParkAve.jpg (137780 bytes)
Sanborn Deer Park Ave 9/1928

sanbornBabylon9-1928JohnSt.jpg (103921 bytes)
Sanborn Cooper Ave  9/1928


Babylon Track Capacities
 MP 54 Cars - c.1950

babylon_mp34-35_7-58emery.jpg (154045 bytes)
Emery map MP 34-35 1958
Collection and Info: Dave Keller 


Emery map MP 35-36 1958
Collection: Dave Keller

 
Emery map MP 36-37 1958
Collection: Dave Keller

Babylon-water-tank_viewW-MP36_1907_Emery-SUNY.jpg (80196 bytes)
Babylon water tank View W at MP36, Deer Park Ave. 
 1907 (Emery - SUNY Stony Brook)


Babylon_MU-Scoot-FM_ John Krause _c.1957.jpg (75882 bytes)
Babylon - MU, RDC Scoot, FM  View W c.1957 
Photo: John Krause

A electric train at left on Track 2, in the middle is the RDC Patchogue Scoot and at right an FM led Montauk train just in from the Central Branch on the right.

 

EnginehouseBabylon.jpg (52203 bytes)
Babylon Enginehouse 05/16/1918
Official LIRR valuation photo
Collection: Dave Morrison 


Station 1914  view east from south side platform


1925 BJ Tower almost completed.  View looking west toward depot from Signal bridge.  Track at far right (north side of main) not yet completed.  Track spur off to right to access Heinley Coal Yard.  Knickerbocker Ice & Coal at far left.  James V. Osborne photo, Dave Keller archive

MU3-carMail-Express-west undersignalbridgeleavingBabylonStation9-9-50.jpg (85025 bytes)
MU3-car Mail Express westbound under signal bridge leaving Babylon Station 09/19/1950
The train’s lead car is an RPO/REA car. The middle car is a passenger/baggage/RPO car and at the rear is a combine car. Edward Hermanns photo, Dave Keller archive  

REAFreightHouseBabylon1951JoeHagan.jpg (34299 bytes)
REA Freight House 1951 MP35.5
Photo: Joe Hagan


H16-44 #1507 1954
W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive  


RDC1-2 Babylon Tower 1955
Jules P. Krzenski photo, Dave Keller archive


MU meet 1957 Jules P. Krzenski photo, Dave Keller Archive 

 

 


1925 First MU electric train arrival view east  towards depot from signal bridge.  James V. Osborne photo, Dave Keller archive

babylonfirstelectrictrain.JPG (63574 bytes)
1925 First MU electric train arrival view taken from on top of the electric transmission tower. Chester Kelting photo, David M. Morrison collection, Dave Keller archive

 babylonfirstelectrictrainproject.jpg (32821 bytes)
1925 First MU electric train project. 
Chester Kelting photo, David M. Morrison collection, Dave Keller archive

 
1925 BN Cabin (c. 1917 to 1925) located at west end of Babylon station platform, north side.  View looking northwest.  James V. Osborne photo, Dave Keller archive

Cabin-BN-Babylon-5-21-25.jpg (72710 bytes)
BN cabin, located on the north side of the west end of the westbound platform of Babylon station.  In service c. 1917 (Does not appear in the ETT of 1916.  No ETT of 1917 available to check.  Does appear in ETT of 1918) and out of service with opening of BJ tower east of the station sometime after May, 1925.  This view is from a negative shot of the first MU train to arrive at Babylon and the town’s pending celebration with thousands of people in attendance.  Chester Kelting photo, David M. Morrison Collection, Dave Keller archive.


FM 2002 Cannonball at Babylon
Jules P. Krzenski photo, Dave Keller archive

Babylon_viewW6-1960.jpg (86335 bytes)
Babylon station view W 06/1960
Photo: Jim Gillin

babylon_c.1960_2.jpg (109075 bytes)
Babylon  Station View E c. Winter 1960 Archive: Jim Gillin


Double Deck Train in Tichy Scheme - Babylon Station 8/09/1952
(Faxon-Keller)

MU double deck train at Babylon Express House Train 3/22/1959
Archive: Dave Keller
 
FM-CPA-20-5_2004_westbound-Deer-Park-Ave-Babylon-MP36_Huneke.jpg (107390 bytes)
FM CPA-20-5 #2004 westbound Deer Park Ave., Babylon MP36 Photo/Archive: Art Huneke
lirr1347E-6sbabylon-depotplace.jpg (91608 bytes)
LIRR #1347 E-6s eastbound Depot Place 1945  Photo: Frank Zahn Info: Ron Zinn Archive: Jim Gillin
BabylonNewStationSouvenirPass_09091964BradPhillips.jpg (60933 bytes)
Babylon new station Souvenir Pass 9/09/1964 
Archive: Br
ad Phillips
RDC1-3101_East-Ender_Babylon-Deer-Park-Ave_eastbound_winter-1955.jpg (135138 bytes)
RDC1 #3101 "East Ender" - Crossing Deer Park Ave., 
Babylon eastbound in Winter of 1955
Babylon_viewW_DepotSt1947.jpg (93836 bytes)
Freight House - View W at Depot St. 1947
 Photo: Unknown Archive: Jim Gillin
Babylon_Dependable-Fuel-Co.-coal-silos_viewE_1952_Emery-SUNY.jpg (66334 bytes)
Dependable  Fuel Co. Coal silos View E 1952 (Emery-SUNY)
Babylon_FM-2403_Deer-Park-Ave_viewW- 1955_WillaimGilligan.jpg (106568 bytes)
FM #2403 eastbound at Deer Park Ave 1955 
Archive: William Gilligan
Babylon_viewE_Depot-Place_9-9-56_FrankPfuhler-WilliamGilligan.jpg (110248 bytes)
Babylon view E Depot Place 9/09/56 Photo: Frank Pfuhler
Babylon_1963_WilliamGilligan.jpg (94964 bytes)
Babylon view E 1963 Archive: William Gilligan
lirr2003TR9viewEbabylon1962.jpg (96355 bytes)
LIRR #2003 Train no.9 westbound Babylon 1962 
Photo: Jim Gillin
lirr2002viewE_Babylon_c.1963.jpg (99155 bytes)
LIRR #2002 eastbound c.1963 
Photo: LIRR, Archive: Jim Gillin
Babylon-newMP-75MUs-crossingCarllsCreekwestbound-temptrackageduringgradeeliminationJimGillin.jpg (94591 bytes)
New MP-75 MUs crossing Carll's Creek on the temporary trackage during the grade crossing elimination.  Fill for new embankment can be seen in background.  9/1963 Photo/Archive: Jim Gillin

Babylon Station - View W c. 1960

Babylon Station demolition  - View NE  9/09/1964
 
First-train_No.66_into-new-Babylon-Station_viewW-from-rear-car_8-26-64_BradPhillips.jpg (73352 bytes)
First train No.66 into new Babylon Station view W from rear car platform 8/26/64  Photo: Brad Phillips
Babylon_RS-3-1560_carl-Ave-viewN_8-64_WillaimGilligan.jpg (57524 bytes)
Babylon RS-3 #1560 at Carl Ave. View N 8/1964
Archive: William Gilligan
Babylon-Yard-M1s-viewE_4-29-1972_Votava-Boland.jpg (98589 bytes)
Babylon Yard M1s view E 4/29/1972 (Votava-Boland)
Babylon_Scoot-Temp-station_viewW_4-6-63_BradPhillips.jpg (68994 bytes)
Scoot at Babylon temporary station view W 4/06/1963 Photo: Brad Phillips 

The temporary station, which is visible to the right of this image and at which platform the RDC s are stopped, was placed in service on 4/6/63. 

It was taken out of service on 9/9/64 and razed thereafter, with the new, elevated structure being placed in service that day (9/9/64).

This image shows not only the old tracks and station platforms at the left but the temporary facilities at the right.  The old stuff is still there, so construction has not yet begun, so this image would have to have been taken shortly after the temporary facilities opened.

There are no leaves on the trees, but MAY have been photographed IN April of 1963 because we've had some pretty cold April's on LI that I can recall.

Also, if this were shot during the winter of 1963-64, that means that the old station and tracks were STILL IN PLACE and not touched for demolition from April until year's end.  That would be a VERY long time to do nothing to the area then completing everything in 8 months. 

I say 8 months because I have photos of the temporary station with the new, elevated station in place behind it, shot in August of 1964. (see below) Dave Keller


Babylon temporary station - View E Winter 1963
Photo/Archive: Brad Phillips


Babylon first train arriving at the new temp station eastbound
4/06/1963 Photo/Archive: Brad Phillips
MUdbldeck-Station-TempSta-Babylon-1963.jpg (60700 bytes)
This view is looking southeast from the north side of the tracks. 1963 Archive: Dave Keller 

What we have in the foreground is the old station high-level platforms with old pedestrian crossover in the background.

The temporary station facilities are adjacent to this, just south, running right through where the old depot building was once located. 

In the middle-to-right background you will see platform shelters.  You will also see a second, independent, pedestrian crossover.

redplatformshelterstemporary stationBabylon1964.jpg (19337 bytes)
The red platform shelters are the temporary station at Babylon in 8/1964. (New, elevated station partially visible in left background.) 

Those shelters on those platforms with THAT pedestrian crossover are the temporary station facilities with a temporary ticket office built on the south side of the tracks.

Once the temporary tracks and station/platforms were established and officially placed into service, the LIRR then began to demolish ALL you see in the foreground, and the elevation took place on the site of this earlier track location.  The temporary tracks were very close to the main.

Research: Dave Keller, LIRR Historian

Babylon_First-Day-Grade-Crossing-Elimination-Ceremony_9-09-1964_viewE_BradPhillips.jpg (88921 bytes)
Babylon First Day Grade Crossing Elimination Ceremony 9/09/1964 view E Photo: Brad Phillips

RS1-Frt-Meet-M1-Elec-Babylon-Tower-7-27-71.jpg (44708 bytes)
RS1 on eastbound freight, running against traffic, meeting westbound M1 electric train from yard, passing “ BABYLON ” tower and approaching station – Babylon , NY – 7/27/71 (note old coal silo at right background) Archive: Dave Keller
 

 
Babylon Tower  interior 9/1987 re making a move at Babylon Tower in September of 1987. Today, the interior of the tower looks totally different, with the 1964-era hi tech machinery now replaced with much more modern technology. The TIMACS system has been substantially upgraded, as well. Photo/Archive:  Jay Bendersky

 

This is the 1964 version of the current Babylon Tower, view NE. The tower was "widened" in the late-80's for the eventual inclusion of PD and points east. Since it was built about the same time as the current Divide Tower, it looked like a mini version of it. Although Divide was also expanded in the mid-80's, it kept it's "airport control tower" windows, which it still has today. I took this photo while posting at Babylon in 9/1987. Photo/Archive:  Jay Bendersky

Babylon/West Islip Coach Yard - view East
c.1985 Photo: Steve Lynch


Lead Track Siding - East of
Cooper St. c. 1985 view N 
Photo: Steve Lynch

 


Wash Racks - Babylon/West Islip view west  c. 1985 
Photo: Steve Lynch

Just a minor detail the car wash has been completely removed. If memory serves since mid 2005. Info: Herbert Ketcham

NOV1977MikeRobbinsarchive.jpg (51505 bytes)
Babylon car wash  Interior view west 11/1977 
Archive: Mike Robbins 

M1s_washed-Babylon_10-1971.jpg (68856 bytes)
M1s being washed Babylon view E 10/1971

Babylon-Sunset-MTA.jpg (90082 bytes)

Sunset at Babylon -  Telephoto view from station platforms c.2000 Archive: LIRR-MTA 

The signal bridge just west of Little East Neck Road (distant bridge in the sunset image), was constructed in 1924 and the signals mounted there were S357 (eastbound) and S358 (westbound) per Emery's 7/1958 map. Interlocking, 3 bridge. In the photo your looking at the back of 22 and 24 signal. The photo also shows the 21 switch crossover in the background; in the foreground you can see the switch points of 23 switch. The signal in the foreground is most likely 30 signal.

 


 Round Trip Ticket to Robert Moses State Park, NY - Form SX126 Archive: Kevin Fehn