LIRR Passenger/Baggage/Combine/RPO Car Photo History

Roster: LIRR Early Passenger Cars 
Research: Vincent Seyfried LIRR History Vol VII

Roster: LIRR Steel Coaches & Electric M.U. with conversions
Research: Henry Raudenbush and Jeff Erlitz, courtesy of George Chiasson

Roster: LIRR Passenger-Baggage-Combine-Cars
           
LIRR Passenger-Baggage-Combine-Cars Additional Data
           LIRR Passenger-Baggage-Combine-Cars Supplementary Notes 
Research Koehler, Seyfried, MTA 1972

Roster: LIRR Modernization Numbers - Old Cars
Research: Bob Kingman

Roster: LIRR Steel and Composite Passenger Car Roster 
           LIRR Steel Passenger Car Roster Notes
Research: Jeff Erlitz 9/24/2018

Here's a very faded Tuscan Red MB62 leading an MP72C and either a MP72T or a T72 into Jamaica. On the right, leaving Jamaica, are a MP54B or MP54C and another arch roofed "54", both in the later "Tichy" paint scheme with Brunswick Green (?), or black, roofs. The first MP72C cars were built 7/1955, the first MP72T cars 8/1955 and the first T72 cars 10/1955. Since the trees are bare and the sun is low in the sky this is probably late 1955 or early 1956. Info: Jeff Erlitz Collection: Bill J. Madden

A MB62, or for that matter, any LIRR MU in Tuscan Red, and a pretty badly faded TR, is quite a surprise if not an anomaly as the Tichy paint scheme came into being in November 1949.  And yet, five or six years later, there's still a car in Tuscan Red with gold lettering!  By this time, cars are being rebuilt and repainted into the dark or smoky gray paint scheme, which means it is possible this car (number unknown) may have been rebuilt, but definitely repainted into the dark or smoky gray paint scheme, unless it was scrapped. Thus, there's a possibility that this car, if it stayed in service NEVER got the Tichy paint scheme. Info: Mike Boland

WOODEN BUILDER DATES DATA All retired by 1927
Victorian Coaches Wason Mfg  Co 1889 #229-258 65' length seats 72 
sold #230,231,236,239 to Georgia Car & Loco Co. 7/1927
lirr236_passenger.jpg (94236 bytes)
LIRR #236
Combine baggage/passenger Pullman Palace Car Co. 1898 #501-520 sold 1926 to Georgia Car & Loco Co. lirr505_builderphoto_1898.jpg (68451 bytes)
LIRR #505 builder photo 1898
Parlor Car Pullman 1902 #789-796  Eight vestibule  6-wheel trucks 
Length: 78' - 8"; 41 revolving seats; all converted to coaches after 1911-1916
#789 Sold to Georgia Company: 6/1927
Wooden-Parlor-Car_no.789-Pullman-1902_Keller.jpg (89300 bytes)
Wooden Pullman Parlor Car #789
1902 Archive: Dave Keller
Private Business Car Jackson & Sharp 1885
MANHATTAN private business car diagram


MANHATTAN private business car - Builder's photo
outside the Jackson & Sharp Co. plant 1885 (Votava-Keller)
 


 Austin Corbin's private business car "MANHATTAN"

 

 

Closed Vestibule Jackson & Sharp,
A
C&F
1898 Last wooden car produced for LIRR 1898 Wooden LIRR parlor car. Builder: Pullman, 1902
Day Coach Jackson & Sharp 1899 In 1876 Jackson & Sharp received a Centennial Award at the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition, in the “railway plant, rolling stock, engines” category for its passenger, boudoir, and library cars. LIRR received in 1899.

SPECIAL CARS BUILDER DATES DATA

Hospital Car

1898-1910

Coach #117 Destroyed
by fire 8/20/1910


LIRR #117 Hospital Car interior view outfitted, as a hospital car. View from operating room into Ward room in 1901. Archive: John Lisi

LIRR_117-Hospital-Car_1897.jpg (66711 bytes)
LIRR #117 Hospital Car 1897


LIRR #117 Hospital Car - Loco Engineering- page 771-774

Superintendent’s Car Pullman 1902-1909
  Jackson & Sharp 1906-1935-8?
E-6 Open Air Car Used for Beach runs
Gas Electric Scoots
Electric/Storage/
Battery: Edison
Electric
1911-1926
Brill Gas Car J.G Brill Company 1914-1926
Trolley Car 

HORSE EXPRESS CAR
B74a Pullman Horse Express Cars: The numbering of B-74a was changed from 5551-5555, 5561-5565, and 5766-5775 to 5800-5819 at the time the names were applied. Over the years various names were applied to the cars. 

Capacity 24 horses; two stalls on each side of the three doors.

LIRR143_Hicksville_Horse-Pullman-class-B74a_1947.jpg (106034 bytes)
LIRR #143 - Hicksville - Horse express car Class B74a 1947 Archive: Dave Keller
B74b Pullman #5820-5869 PRR-B74b_horse-pullman.jpg (36727 bytes)
PRR B74b Horse express car - "Eastern Racing Association  Suffolk Downs" Massachusetts. This is an example of Horse Car class B74b also used on the LIRR. Info: Dave Keller
The PRR horse cars were class B74a/b. From the outside they looked like baggage cars except they had 3 doors per side and a pair of stalls on either side of the doors to transport twenty-four horses maximum. The PRR named all the cars; Atlantic City Racing Association, Aqueduct, Dell Mar Turf Club, Metropolitan Jockey Club, etc.  DD1-340-Tichy Scheme_PRR-B74b-horsecar-from-Brandywine Stables_near-Jamaica_1950-Keller.jpg (82337 bytes)
DD1 #340 in Tichy Scheme - PRR B74b horse express car "Brandywine Stables" near Jamaica 1950 Archive: Dave Keller

DOUBLE DECKER DATA
1932-47
1947-49
200-205
1287-1347
 

 

1416,1728_pre-war- double-deckers_3_8_47_Votava-Boland.jpeg (78259 bytes)
The railroad's fleet of pre-war double-deckers in the years before the post-war fleet of 60 cars began to arrive in 1947. Double-deckers #201 and #1347 at Babylon Yard with MP54A #1418 and MP54C #1728 on March 8, 1947. Photo: George Votava Archive: Mike Boland

lirr132x_Glueck.jpg (77618 bytes)
LIRR #132x Photo: R. Glueck

lirr1346_Glueck.jpg (76924 bytes)
LIRR #1346 Photo: R. Glueck

C3 Kawasaki 1997-

134 cars  23 Cab controlled cars


RDC BUILDER DATES DATA
Budd 1955- 1967 Sold 12/71

lirr3101_RDC1-at-Greenport_9-27-59.jpg (227133 bytes)
LIRR #3101 RDC1 at Greenport 9/27/1959

lirr3121_RDC2-Trailer-SoHampton-1956.jpg (41829 bytes)
LIRR #3121 RDC2 with Trailer 
at South Hampton 1956


PASSENGER BUILDER DATES DATA
Starting in December of 1954, the LIRR began an extensive modernization program of all classes of equipment that included complete mechanical rebuilding, new interiors and new numbers to reflect the upgrading. The newly reworked cars were numbered into four number series: 4000 for control motors, 5000 for motor trailers, 6000 for MU trailers, and 7000 for steam coaches.
P54 American Car & Foundry 1912 Steam Cars #139-179, were ex-PRR cars

They had clerestory roofs and came in 1930 to replace 50 P54D "pings" that were converted to MU control motors 1944 to 1983, later renumbered into the 4000 series.

lirr433-Jamaica-11-27-32.jpg (79073 bytes)
LIRR  #433 Jamaica 11/27/32
P54A  American Car & Foundry 1911-1914,  #314-370 lirr4920-Jamaica-10-69.jpg (87010 bytes)
LIRR  #4920 Jamaica 10/1969
P54B American Car & Foundry 1913-1918  #379-388
P54D American Car & Foundry 1927 #1-138 74 cars modernized starting 12/1954 and renumbered as part of 7000 series (7002-7481, not all inclusive) Referred to as "Ping Pongs"


P54D #1 Richmond Hill Receiving Yard turntable
Late 1960's
(Henry Maywald-Mike Boland)


P54D #7129 Richmond Hill - Late 1960's
(Henry Maywald-Mike Boland)

lirr7470-Ronkonkoma-12-71.jpg (88328 bytes)
LIRR #7470 Ronkonkoma 12/19/1971

P54blueprint.jpg (412763 bytes)
P54 blueprint c.1925
P54E American Car & Foundry 10/1923 10 clerestory-roof cars #452-461
 
 
P70 American Car & Foundry 1911-1913 after 1926 converted to coaches after Pullman Extra Services Takeover 808-826 lirr824_P70_COACH_former-Parlor-Car_Morris-Park-Yard_1962_WilliamRigen.jpg (122014 bytes)
LIRR #824, former parlor car, Morris Park Yard 1962 Photo: William Rigen

COMBINE BUILDER DATES DATA
PB57 American Car & Foundry 10/1927 610-618

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Modernized 10/1958 and renumbered #7614 Scrapped 9/13/1972 by Naporano Iron and Metal Company, Newark NJ

Note the "Futura" lettering which was considered VERY modern for 1939-40.
Info: Jeff Erlitz

lirr7613_PB57_Glueck.jpg (62587 bytes)
LIRR #7613 PB57 combine Oyster Bay 
Photo: R. Glueck

PB57-7614_Richmond-Hill-Coach-Yard_c.1940_JeffErlitz.jpg (86065 bytes)
LIRR #7614 Richmond Hill Coach Yard c.1940 Archive: Jeff Erlitz

MOTORIZED/PASSENGER   BUILDER DATES DATA

“M” designating the unit to be a “motor” or powered control cab and the “P” meaning “passenger”, while the “54” was the length of the car, bulkhead to bulkhead. As an aside, an MU baggage car was an “MPB54” because it was powered, it carried passengers AND it carried baggage. However, the electrics were MP54  or T54 units (“T” meaning trailer; non-powered).  And some of the OLDER, original purchase MP54 units had clerestory roofs and not the famous arched roofs.   Information: Dave Keller

MP54 means Motor/Passenger car which is 54' long. (there were also "blind motors" which were MP54 cars with no windshields and which were placed within the consist of a train to provide additional power to assist the lead MP54 which was NOT blind. Sort of like a steam locomotive coupled in the middle of a freight train with no view of the road ahead, positioned only to assist the lead steam locomotive(s) in hauling the train. 

MPB54 means Motor/Passenger/Baggage car which is 54' long (known as a "combine car.")
T39, T54 means Trailer cars (no motors) which are 39' or 54' long and were placed in trains with a motor car (MP54) at either end.
MPBM54 means Motor/Passenger/Baggage/Mail cars which are 54' long.
MBM62 means Motor/Baggage/Mail cars which are 62' long, with no vestibules.
The suffixes on the same number cars (MP54a, MP54b, MP54c, etc.) meant various changes such as arched roofs vs. clerestory roofs, etc.)  Research: Dave Keller

Earlier MP54 and MP54A cars had their controls removed, but were not rebuilt (with ASC) and remained in service as mid-train motor trailer cars, since they also had weak collision posts, which was pointed out after the 1950 crashes.  Eight cars in the 1600 series of MP54A cars did, indeed, get ASC and finished their decades of service as control motor cars with ASC and were  occasionally seen at the headend of a train. (Control motors 1632, 1634, 1641, 1651, 1661, 1665, 1666) And, of course, there was CT54A #1677, club car "ROCKAWAY",  which remained a control trailer with ASC) but some of these cars, 1641, 1651 and 1661 had their ASC removed in later years. Research: Mike Boland
Note: MP54's, were about another 10 feet longer, 5 feet for each vestibule at both ends of the car, at 64' than the MP62 series. 

MP54 American Car & Foundry

 

 

1908 30 cars 1421-1450
20 cars 1401-1420 MP54A
 

MP54 was the first 30 cars 1421 through 1450 built by ACF at its Jackson and Sharp (merged into ACF) plant in Delaware in 1908.

 

MU-near-Harold_late1930s_Votava-Boland.jpg (87655 bytes)
A four-car MU train eastbound apparently headed for Port Washington in the late 1930's. The second car east is a trailer and note the combine at the rear(!) of the train. Many MP54's and MP54A's had large headlight housings replace their original small headlights while retaining their destination lights, seen on both sides of the headlight. These were removed in later years. At this time LIRR passenger fleet wore Tuscan Red with black roof and gold lettering. Photo: George Votava Archive: Mike Boland  

MP54 #1428 as trailer at Dunton 4/28/1968
Archive: Mike Boland
MP54A   American Car & Foundry  1908
1909

 
20 cars 1401-1420  
226 cars 1451-1676
Some minor changes were made to the cars and the next class of 20 cars was MP54A built by ACF in Berwick, PA and numbered 1401 through 1420 and built beginning in 1909.    
 

MP54A-1509-interior_ 10_19_36_Boland.jpg (108022 bytes)
MP54A #1509-interior 10/19/1936
Archive: Mike Boland

MP54A-1632_MPB54-1391_Heritage-cars_Port-Washington_ 7-06-76_GeorgeEVotava -Boland.jpg (88846 bytes)
MP54A #1632 MPB54 #1391 Heritage cars at Port Washington 7/06/1976 (Votava-Boland)

MP54A-1666_control-motor_dark-gray_Babylon-Yard_1960s_Votava-Boland.jpg (83566 bytes)

Babylon Yard in the 1960's. MP54A #1666 was one of ten control motor cars in this class equipped with speed control.
Occasionally a train had a consist with this car at the headend. Built in 1914, the later cars in this class had stronger collision
posts. It was scrapped on February 28, 1969.
 Photo: George Votava Archive: Mike Boland

 

MP54A-1405_Dunton-Car-Shop_5_12_40_Votava-Boland.jpeg (80339 bytes)

MP54A #1405 outside the Dunton Car Shop on May 12, 1940. This was an order of 20 cars built by ACF and had minor differences from the 30 MP54 fleet of cars built in 1908, a year earlier. Photo: George Votava Archive: Mike Boland

MP54A-1505_Rockaway-Park_1940s_Votava-Boland.jpg (88584 bytes)

MP54A #1505 has new safety glass windows with aluminum frames. Note the trailer behind this control motor, built in 1910 and scrapped in January 1956. This car, and many others had their controls and headlights removed and ran off their last years as motor trailers in mid-train service. Rockaway Park c.1940's. Photo: George Votava Archive: Mike Boland

MP54A_1474_c.1950_Boland.jpg (65053 bytes)

MP54A #1474 leads a train with a car behind it in the new Tichy paint scheme. This car had no Automatic Speed Control (ASC) installed so this photo must have been taken prior to 1951. The car was scrapped August 1955. Archive: Mike Boland

The clerestory roof MP54 and MP54A cars, when rebuilt as motor trailers, were given class MP54T and MP54AT and were renumbered beginning with #1001 (an old MP41 number), #1002, #1003, etc. but this renumbering ended after after #1017 and the cars kept their original numbers. A few trailers were given power trucks and put into this class, also.

About 10 cars in the MP54A class were given ASC and kept their original numbers; all the rest were converted after the two 1950 crashes revealed weak collision posts that the cars had in their construction. Cars in the 1600-series had slightly stronger and thicker collision posts; this was improved with later classes of MP54's.

MP54A1  Pressed Steel Car Co.  (25 cars) & American Car & Foundry (20 cars) split car order between the LIRR and another PRR subsidiary, West Jersey and Seashore. 

These 45 cars, and the 40 P54D's converted and motorized in 1930 (MP54D1 1944 through 1983) were the last MP54's built for the LIRR.

1928-1930 45 cars 1135-1179
MP54A1 #1163, possibly Jamaica area, in Tuscan Red livery mid-1950's. This may have been the last car in
this paint scheme. Archive: Mike Boland
     
MP54A1 #1159 at Port Washington 4/05/1937 (Votava-Boland)

MP54A1 at the east end of an MU train in Babylon
Early 1950's. (Harold Fagerberg-Mike Boland)
     
MP54A1 #4160 at Babylon 4/21/1963 (Votava-Boland)

A modernized MP54A1 at the east end of a train at Union Hall Street station in the mid-1960's.
       
Two eastbound trains leaving Jamaica station, mid-1960's. The one on the left has a MP54A1 at its east end.
Archive: Mike Boland

The seating capacity was for 69 passengers. These cars had a special safety feature which was a door interlocking device, or signal light, indicating to the motorman that the doors are closed.  Each car had train control and had roller bearing trucks.  Additional lights made for better lighting. These new cars and the conversion of 40 P54D steam cars to control motor MP54D1's allowed the railroad to run 12-car MU trains. 

Its easiest spotting sign are the lack of deck sash and only THREE utility vents along the side of the roof for ventilation. Also, the end door is more recessed, due to improved and thickened collision posts. The cars also had end drip strips above the storm door at the ends of each car.

The cars also had two different types of trucks and these were the only cars that arrived with the large, squared-off headlight and destination lights, which were removed later. Some cars had porthole-style side and end doors, while other cars had large, single-pane side and end doors; perhaps this is a clue as to the cars' original builder. Research: Mike Boland

MP54C American Car & Foundry  1922-25, 1927 240 cars  #1698-1777 and then #1784-1943


MP54C #1722 Hempstead 1938 (Ziel-Boland)


MP54C #1856 renumbered to #4856 Babylon 5/15/1955 (Votava-Boland)


MP54C #1731 Jamaica 1960's (Zahn-Boland)

 

lirr4875-MP54C.jpg (72414 bytes)
LIRR #4875 MP54C

lirr4855-MP54C_Woodside-1969.jpg (75178 bytes)
LIRR #4855 MP54C Woodside 1969


MP54C end - Dunton 1960's (Zahn-Boland)

The MP54C replaced the MP54B and was one of the largest classes on the LIRR. Built beginning in 1922 these cars were numbered from #1698-1777 and then #1784-1943. The gap in numbers was used to number the clerestory roof ACF-built DC cars bought from the PRR in 1923 or so when AC power took over. These cars became surplus and the Manhattan Transfer shuttle service ended.

Beginning in December 1954 with MP54C 1742, a great many of these cars were modernized and rebuilt. They retained their original number, but after about 100 cars were rebuilt, a new system of numbering was used with a "4" replacing the "1," as the first number of the car. Ex: Control motor MP54C #1742 became #4742. Note: A small number of these cars were not rebuilt and used as control motors, retaining their original number. All MP54C control motor cars, rebuilt or not rebuilt, had ASC. However, a small number of cars in the 1700-series were never rebuilt, never given ASC and operated as motor trailers in mid-train service.

A good number of MP54C cars in the 1700-series were rebuilt as motor trailers. These cars had their headlights, marker lights, wipers, whistles, controls and other gear removed. When rebuilt, these cars originally kept their same numbers, such as #1752, but this car was now without controls so to end/avoid confusion, the railroad replaced the "1" with a "5," denoting a motor trailer. Therefore, this car became #5752 and could be easily identified by LIRR employees; these cars were now classed as MP54CT. Note: This was also done to some class MP54B cars. Research: Mike Boland

MOTORIZED TRAILERS
The "T" suffix at the end of some classes, such as MP54T, MP54AT, MP54BT and MP54CT, meant the car, originally a headend car equipped with engineer's controls, had them removed along with whistle, wiper, headlights, etc. and converted to mid-train use as a motor, motorized or blind motor. This meant the car could NOT be at either end of an MU train. The equipment taken from the
cars went into stock used for other MU cars that were equipped with Automatic Speed Control (ASC) and used at headend cars when the State of New York forced the railroad to operated with this feature following the two big 1950 crashes with much loss of life. 

About half of the fleet of MU cars received ASC, the remainder did not. This was a big savings of money; in fact, the LIRR was so broke that the PRR and New York State paid for the installation of ASC. This was a new class of car; as until this time, the railroad had only control motor cars and trailers, but after 1951 this all changed. Not until 1953 and 1955, did the railroad buy new motor trailer cars, specifically built as such by Pullman-Standard. 

Many control motor cars ran in trains and did not have ASC and thus used in mid-train service, even though they specifically were NOT converted to motor trailers. With the car rehabilitation program in 1955, these cars eventually had their controls removed and were renumbered and rebuilt into the 5000-series of cars.

What I like about the LIRR is that there were always exceptions and a number of cars in the 1700-series of arch motors never were converted, and had never been given ASC. They were considered motor trailers even though they were not converted, and in later years their class was changed to indicate they were a motor trailer even when they were not in the shops to have the conversion. A car like this was arch roof 1776, a great number for the Bicentennial. Research: Mike Boland

MP54T American Car & Foundry  1908

lirr1450_MP54T_port-washington_viewW_10-13-63.jpg (132896 bytes)
MP54T #1450  Port Washington view W 10/13/62

Part of the first MP54s on the LIRR, it was converted to a motor trailer with the same car number. Perhaps  the shops got lazy or forgot to removed the headlights.

Built in 1908 and was the last car of the class MP54. Car 1451and up were class MP54A; these had slight changes in seating, other modifications, and were a few  inches longer than the earlier MP54 class cars. 
Info: Mike Boland

 

MP54AT-1520_Richmond-Hill_4-16-1950_GeorgeEVotava -Boland.jpg (94122 bytes)
MP54AT #1520 at Richmond Hill 4/16/1950 (Votava-Boland)

MP54AT 1403_Tichy-scheme_ converted-to-motor-trailer_ West-Hempstead_ 5-04-1952_GeorgeEVotava -Boland.jpg (79832 bytes)
MP54AT #1403 in Tichy scheme - Converted to a motor trailer  - West Hempstead  5/04/1952 (Votava-Boland)


MOTORIZED/COMBINE  BUILDER DATES DATA
MPB54 1910 -1914

#1350-1381
#1385-1399

MPB54-1379_pass-end_ 9_9_33_Ziel.jpg (89780 bytes)

At the Dunton Car Shop combine MPB54 #1379 had the passenger end of the car photographed on November 9, 1933.

There were subtle differences in the end details of headend MU cars.  Note the large scissors-like apparatus that operated the doors at this time; also note the cowcatcher or pilot behind the coupler and in front of the trucks, removed in the 1950's with the advent of speed control.  Collection of Ron Ziel.

 

lirr4398_MU- Combine_Woodside-Station_6-10-69.JPG (165223 bytes)
LIRR  #4398 (ex-#1398) MPB54 in Dashing Dan scheme 
Woodside Station 06/10/1969

lirr1379-MPB-54.jpg (65274 bytes)
#1379 MPB54 Tuscan red with Dulux 
gold lettering Pre-1950

lirr1372-MPB-54_Jamaica.jpg (56016 bytes)
#1372 MPB54 Tichy scheme 
Jamaica c.1955


MOTORIZED/BAGGAGE  BUILDER DATES DATA
MB62 American Car & Foundry 1910 

 

MB62 and fantrip at Clinton Rd._HenryMaywald-Boland.jpg (106789 bytes)
MB62  at Clinton Rd. (Henry Maywald-Mike Boland)

MB62 4205_HenryMaywald-Boland.jpg (89517 bytes)
MB62 #4205 (Henry Maywald-Mike Boland)


MOTORIZED/BAGGAGE/MAIL  BUILDER DATES DATA
The first car is one of two MU motor baggage mail cars, class MBM62 1209 and 1210 that were originally ACF in 1925 to have a mail compartment constructed at one end of the car. Some time later a small engineer's compartment door was added to the right side of the car on one side only, the side that had a 6-foot baggage door on the left. Remember, the other side of the car has the mail compartment, but the baggage end has double sliding doors that are about 8-feet wide. 

Look for the mail compartment on the two MBM62's, and that will tell you whether it's a MBM62 or a straight MB62. The MB62's have two windows between the doors and a small window at each end of the car. It's a different look for the MBM62's, a fascinating car and almost as unique as the second car in this consist, an MPBM54. 

The second car is a Motorized Passenger Baggage Mail MPBM5 car and both sides of the car are a little different in the baggage-mail area. Baggage-mail MU's were 1205-1219, although 1215 and up were used as diesel cars, with 1217-1219 running all their years as steam/diesel cars.

The third car is an regular combine, a passenger baggage car, class MPB54, one of the later ones built by ACF since
its baggage door cuts into the letterboard, unlike the earlier cars built by Standard Steel and scrapped in the 1950's. Many of these cars were modernized beginning with 4371 up to 4398, I believe. This combine might be carrying bagged mail or newspapers. Research: Mike Boland

MU-Mail-Express_MBM62, MPBM54, MPB54_westbound_Babylon_9-9-50_Votava-Keller.jpg (82134 bytes)
MU Express Mail train at Babylon: MBM62, MPBM54, MPB54  taken from the high platform at the Babylon freight house just west of Carll Avenue. ViewNE. (Votava-Keller)

 

MBM62 American Car & Foundry 1910 1209-1210 Mail compartments removed after 1963

MB62-1215-REA_Babylon_2-8-1947_GeorgeEVotava -Boland.jpg (87939 bytes)
MB62 #1215 REA at Babylon 2/08/1947 (Votava-Boland)

MU-REA -4212_REA-RPO_Johnson-Ave-yard_Jamaica_4-21-62_Will V. Faxon, Jr.-DaveKeller.jpg (115367 bytes)
MU REA MB62 #4212 REA RPO Johnson Ave. yard, Jamaica 4/21/1962  (Will V. Faxon, Jr. - Dave Keller

 

MBM62-RPO_Riverhead_ViewNE_2-09-2006_PeterCusden.jpg (109109 bytes)
MBM62 RPO RMLI Riverhead View NE 2/09/2006 
Photo: Peter Cusden

MBM62 4209 at Johnson Ave._Dunton Shops 1_15_64_MikeBoland.jpg (108249 bytes)
MBM62 #4209 - Johnson Ave., Jamaica 1/15/1964  
(Henry Maywald-Mike Boland)

MBM62 4210 HM_HenryMaywald-Boland.jpg (105980 bytes)
MBM62 #4210 (Henry Maywald-Mike Boland)


BG72B

Pullman Standard 1955-56 Nos. 2101-2104 
Bar / Generator Cars
B60B American Car & Foundry 8/1928 715-724 1928 PRR 718 rebuilt to wreck train car W-56, 723 has been preserved
737 Mail compartment added in late forties, class changed to BM60, was rebuilt to wreck train car W-57.

Modernized 12/1955 and renumbered #7723. Withdrawn from service 1970.

B60B-723_JeffErlitz.jpg (63097 bytes)
B60B #723 Archive: Jeff Erlitz

MP41

American Car & Foundry 1905 Nos. 1000-1133 first class of MU electric cars, 41' interior lirr1111_MP41.jpg (129479 bytes)
LIRR MP41 #1111 Rockaway Park Yard 
1948 (Rugen-Huneke)
 Gibb's Cars 1905 BRT/LIRR operations; see below MP41-train-crew_c.1908_Keller.jpg (79112 bytes)
LIRR/BRT MP41 "Gibbs Car" c.1908
Archive: Dave Keller

This was a BRT-style coupler, as these MP41 cars were built to run in joint LIRR/BRT operation (which ended in 1917) and were even nicknamed "Gibbs Cars" after the guy who designed the similar electric passenger cars for the BRT.  After purchasing a bunch of these cars in 1905 for operation in newly-electrified territory, the LIRR purchased new MP54 cars in 1909-10.  The shorter, MP41 cars were eventually relegated to rapid-transit service along the Atlantic branch and the longer and newer MP54 cars were used in the rest of electrified territory.  I've never seen the coupler pushed over to one side like that.

MU Cars in Mitchel Field Shuttle Service

A single MP41 was first used in Mitchel Field shuttle service starting in 1933 after the ex-Ocean-Electric streetcars were taken out of shuttle service. Photographic evidence shows MP41 car #1100 and MP41 car #1101 both used in one-car shuttle service in 1933-34.

The single MP41 car had a 2nd car added to it after April, 1934 (photographic evidence) and ran as a 2-car train up to 1950. Photographic evidence indicates there were two sets of MP41 cars used in shuttle service. One set consisted of MP41 cars #'s 1092 and 1089, and one set consisted of MP41 cars #'s 1100 and 1101.

In 1950, the 2-car MP41 (#'s 1100, 1101) shuttle was replaced with a 2-car MP54 shuttle, and all MP41 cars were finally out of service at that time. The MP54 2-car shuttle ran until the end of passenger service in May, 1953. An interesting fact is that tickets were not sold for shuttle rides. Cash fares only were accepted. Research: Dave Keller


LIRR - PULLMAN Promotional  Photo 80 ft., AC, 120 seat commuter car

MP72C Pullman Standard 1955 Nos. 2501-2522


MP72C train eastbound at Sunnyside mid-1960's (Maywald-Boland)


MP72C #2512 - Dunton early 1960's
(Maywald-Boland)

lirr2519-MP-72C_Jamaica-1969.jpg (59511 bytes)
LIRR #2519 MP72C Jamaica 1969
Archive: Dave Keller


MP72C West Hempstead early 1970's
Archive: Mike Boland

 

MP75C Pullman Standard 1963 Nos. 2525-2536
Converted to control trailers 5525-5536

Note: MP75 "Zip" cars did NOT have portholes at their ends; instead, a single square window to match the end and side doors.

 


 

lirr2534-MP-75C_Hempstead-01-20-68_Votava-Keller.jpg (98456 bytes)
LIRR #2534 MP75C
Zip car control motor 
ex-World's Fair logo repaint - West Hempstead 
1/20/68 (Votava-Keller)

lirr2536-MP-75C_Jamaica-1969.jpg (55643 bytes)
LIRR #2536 MP75C Jamaica 1969
Archive: Dave Keller
MP72T Pullman Standard 1955-1956 Nos. 2602-2674 Converted to PT72C, PP72B (#2011-2021) and BG72B

MP75T Pullman Standard 1963 Nos. 2675-2692
Converted to trailers 5675-5692
lirr2679-MP-75T_Jamaica-1969.jpg (54255 bytes)
LIRR #2679 MP-75T Jamaica 1969
Archive: Dave Keller
P69 Osgood Bradley 1925 8519-8522 lirr8520_Glueck.jpg (60042 bytes)
LIRR #8522 ex D&H #211 
Photo: R. Glueck
P72 Pullman Standard 1955-1956

Nos. 2901-2980 except
2949 & 2957

lirr2970_P72_LI-City_4-70_JimParker.jpg (82084 bytes)
LIRR #2970 LI City 4/1970 Photo: Jim Parker

P72_Car 2932-Port Jefferson-1965.jpg (85245 bytes)
 LIRR #2932 P72 - Port Jefferson 1965
Note:  steam heat connector by air lines underneath coupler. John Deasy
P72 Bar Pullman Standard Rebuilt 1975

2990-2992, former 2905, 2970, 2957

P72A Pullman Standard 1955 2801-2844
P72G / Bar
P74A Pullman Standard 1924 2001-2003
P74B Pullman Standard 1935-37

7526, 7533-41, 7545-7549

P74B Bar Pullman Standard 1935-37

7522-7525, 7527, 7530-31, 7540, 7542-44, 7550

P74D Parlor Pullman Standard
HEAVYWEIGHT Parlor cars 6-wheel trucks
1923-27 2013-2036 lirr2020_P74D_Parlor-Patchogue_Yard-Montauk_05-15-66 (Rugen-Keller).jpg (72837 bytes)
LIRR #2020 "PATCHOGUE" Montauk Yard 05/15/66 (Rugen-Keller)
P80F Amer Car & Foundry 1949 No. 2073 “Tuckahoe”
P80G Budd 1949 Nos. 2081-2082
PP72B Pullman Standard 1955-56 Nos. 2011-2021 Push-pull Parlors were rebuilt former MU trailer cars (Class MP72T) converted to diesel-hauled push-pull service.  Parlor-2011_Scala-Boland.jpg (60343 bytes)
Parlor #2011 (John Scala - Mike Boland)
PT72A Pullman Standard 1553/1955? 2801-2844
PT72 Bar Pullman Standard 1955-56 2890, 2892, 2894 Tentative:  2829 and 2833
But only 2833, being used almost exclusively in push-pull parlor service, got the red stripe.
PT72C Pullman Standard 1955-56

2846-2898 Even Nos. only plus 2792, 2794, 2796

PT75 Pullman Standard 1963 2701-2723 odd #’s
PT75A Pullman Standard 1963

2702-2736
Even #’s only

PT74 Bar Pullman Standard 1963 2705
GTEL Budd/GE/Garrett 1977-? 8 cars purchased
Gas Turbine Power trains 4 GE/ & 4 Garrett GE’s converted to M-1s Garrett’s scrapped
M1 Budd 1968-2007 770 cars First run 30 DEC 68 Retired FEB 07 Nos. 9001-9770 Built: 1968-72
M3 Budd 1985- 174 cars phased in 85-86 Nos. 9771-9944 Renumbered 9891-2 to 9945-6 after shooting
M7 Bombardier 2004-

836 cars purchased  7001-7836

M9 Kawasaki Heavy Industries