Montauk Branch - Babylon to Patchogue

Early Beginnings - South Side Rail Road

The South Side Rail Road of Long Island (S.S.R.R.) was incorporated March 23, 1860.  
Work began May 28, 1866 and in September 1866 the Directors voted to extend the road to Patchogue.
Oct. 28, 1867 regular service began between Jamaica and Babylon.
May 20, 1868 South Side Railroad of Long Island opens between Babylon and Islip.
Dec. 11, 1868 South Side Railroad of Long Island opens between Islip and Sayville.
Apr. 10, 1869 South Side Railroad of Long Island opens between Sayville and Patchogue.
July 1874 the South Side Rail Road was sold in foreclosure and renamed: The Southern Railroad Company of Long Island.
December 1879, reorganized it as the "Brooklyn & Montauk RR," which was then leased to the Long Island RR.
March 1880, the Southern RR was referred to as the Montauk Division of the Long Island RR.

 1873 Colton map of the S.S.R.R. approximately MP38-48




The Montauk Branch, in Western Suffolk County from Babylon Station to Patchogue Station, comprises MP36 to MP54.

SOCONY map - 1935 Babylon to Patchogue

Babylon-Patchogue - Scoot
RDC Babylon-Patchogue Scoot service: 1957-1967.  For the two years prior, commencing March 31, 1955, the BUDD RDC's (RDC1 #3101-RDC2 #3121) were utilized serving many locations:
Mineola, Hicksville, Ronkonkoma, Riverhead, Greenport, Oyster Bay, Southampton and Patchogue, but not in Scoot service. Dave Keller

PRR-Keystone Summer 2022 - RDC article by Mike Boland

Excerpt from Mike Boland's RDC Keystone article

 Babylon-Patchogue Scoot  at Babylon Station hi-level wooden platforms c.1957 Archive: Dave Morrison


RS3 #1553 Babylon-Patchogue Scoot westbound crossing Connetquot River west of Oakdale-1968 
(J. P. Krzenski-Dave Keller)

RS3 #1554 Babylon-Patchogue Scoot crossing Nassau Ave, Islip
1969 passing the ex-Monzet's Hotel   Archive: Dave Keller

Babylon-Patchogue westbound "Scoot" at PD Tower, Patchogue 4/06/1963 Photo: William Lichtenstern Archive: Dave Keller

Babylon to Patchogue Map  - c.1960+
The 1958 Robert Emery maps (Dave Keller collection) were utilized in conjunction with the 1966 LIRR track maps and other
historical information to develop this series of pictorial diagrams to illustrate the early 1960's Babylon to Patchogue, Montauk Branch
Individual maps:  Research and drawings: Steven Lynch

Babylon Station to East Patchogue comprising MP36 to MP54+.

Babylon Station View E Photo/Archive: Jim Gillin

Bay Shore Station - View W  (Sturm-Fehn)

Islip Station  view NE Archive: Art Huneke

Great River Station - View SE
Photo/Archive: Dave Keller

Oakdale Station - View E 
Archive: Dave Morrison

Sayville Station View SW  
Photo/Archive: Edward Hand

Sayville view W Photo: Fred Weber
Archive: Dave Morrison

Bayport Station - view NW
Photo/Archive: Brad Phillips

Blue Point view E  Photo/Archive: Brad Phillips

Patchogue Station view NE  Photo/Archive: John Jett

 RDC Scoot at the Baggage House and mail-loading platform
1/1962 Archive: Dave Keller

Babylon to Patchogue Freight Sidings - LIRR 1966

LIRR 1966 maps - Drawing: Steven Lynch

Babylon to Patchogue Interlockings - 1988

LIRR 1988 maps - Drawing: Steven Lynch

Babylon to Patchogue - Native American Named Locations

NY State DEC Watershed map 2016
Great South Bay West  Creek Names
Take a ride on the Babylon-Patchogue Scoot and find out what
Native American Names abound.

Parlor #2018 Close-up Logo Weekend Chief  5/26/1968